ADVERTISEMENT

TROLLING Why would CDH leave for Houston

http://africa.espn.com/college-foot...move-houston-dana-holgorsen-hire?platform=amp

Since there was a sizable representation of WV boosters tuned into the presser announcing Dana yesterday, thought you’d enjoy some additional perspective.

Best of luck to WV and beat the hell out of UT, Baylor, TTech, OU, and Okie light.

After reading this, several things come to mind (and don't take this as sour grapes, I’m glad he’s gone and wish him the very best).

If your preference is to blend in, certainly Houston is preferable to Morgantown, a place with a population of 2.3 million versus 50,000 (including students). I prefer places like Morgantown, without the hustle and bustle, where you can sit on the back porch and overlook lush valleys of green pastures and green woodland areas and not have a single person within a mile of you. In Houston, he certainly will be less significant with three pro sports teams (football, baseball and basketball) as opposed to WV with not a single pro sports team. Concrete jungle versus diverse scenery, one of the most, if not the most, beautiful states in the country. He will not only answer to the AD, the fans and the University, it sounds like he will be answering to a very prominent donor who expects results since he shelled out a lot of money and personally orchestrated the hire.

Good luck Dana!

Reactions: LittleRivEER
That’s a fair take. It’s actually one of the first times UH being in the nations fourth largest city (and a metroplex of actually 5 million), and competing with all the pro sports you correctly referenced, that it’s working to the Cougars‘ advantage - other than recruiting base.

And from what I read about your hire from Troy, you should be fine.

Last edited:
In Morgantown while the HC at WVU, you have no privacy if you go out to shop, have a drink, or take your family to the movie theater. Everyone knows who you are. You're as big as the Governor. The HC of UH very few people could give a damn who you are. You won't be harassed on a daily basis for pictures, autographs, people asking about the team, etc. Not saying this is the only reason why he left, but considering this was part of it. Less pressure, just as much or more $, and way less publicity.

Ask Applewhite if there is less pressure. DH was hired to go to NY6 bowls. A coach at WVU will be lucky to finish 4th in Big12. Not sure there is less publicity in a city of 6 million vs 30,000. Houston has subdivisions with more people than Morgantown.

Reactions: countryroads89
After reading this, several things come to mind (and don't take this as sour grapes, I’m glad he’s gone and wish him the very best).

If your preference is to blend in, certainly Houston is preferable to Morgantown, a place with a population of 2.3 million versus 50,000 (including students). I prefer places like Morgantown, without the hustle and bustle, where you can sit on the back porch and overlook lush valleys of green pastures and green woodland areas and not have a single person within a mile of you. In Houston, he certainly will be less significant with three pro sports teams (football, baseball and basketball) as opposed to WV with not a single pro sports team. Concrete jungle versus diverse scenery, one of the most, if not the most, beautiful states in the country. He will not only answer to the AD, the fans and the University, it sounds like he will be answering to a very prominent donor who expects results since he shelled out a lot of money and personally orchestrated the hire.

Good luck Dana!

Is it possible he prefers women with all of their teeth? Just kidding, people live here to make money. Scenery just don't pay the bills. An aside - How is it the largest city in WV has only 51,000 people? You people need to get with this whole procreating thing. It would help your football too.

steeler lol but Dana won’t ever get a power 5 head coaching job ever again. He’s proven to be a horrible head coach. A blind man could coach WVU to 7-8 wins most years. Dana is a terrible coach and had to go to a lower level. WVU wanted him gone. He was toast.

You're full of shit.

Guess time will tell.

FYI Ed Oliver was a 5 star and signed with Houston. But that’s not Houston’s model usually. Sign 3 star kids and bring them into weight room and eventually overachieve.

Houston has a Heisman. Does WVA?
Just sayin’.

Don’t want to debate mutual merits of our two great programs as a guest on your board.

We wish you luck in your coaching search and will be pulling for you each time you play UT, TTech, and Baylor.

And we care because?

Reactions: LittleRivEER
Why would he take the UH job? Well, let's see....right off hand I would say that it simply fit his mind set better. I think he settled down a lot after he was here for a while, but he seems to prefer the party lifestyle yet still maintain some degree of anonymity. There are very few people in the entire state who would not recognize him - in Houston he could blend in much more easily. Although we appreciate the maverick attitude and honesty he showed, there were some other factors which made it less palatable. Dana is more suited to be an OC of a very laid back organization. WVU and their fans are anything but laid back regarding our sports' teams. What seems to stand out to me is a lack of a strong work ethic and managerial skills. Most players seemed to like him well-enough, but maybe that was because Dana still seems to think he is 25 years old and living the college life. I am not trying to slam him for this as that just seems to be his basic instinct and make-up, but for a football coach up here - that doesn't go over real well.

Reactions: Mountain Man
It’s well documented in the know about Dana, hookers, strippers(from Pittsburgh mostly) alcoholic, cocaine use.......he didn’t fit in around here in conservative North Central WV. In bigger city scum fest, ghetto Houston he can get away with hooker parties and snorting coke off strippers boobs.

It’s well documented in the know about Dana, hookers, strippers(from Pittsburgh mostly) alcoholic, cocaine use.......he didn’t fit in around here in conservative North Central WV. In bigger city scum fest, ghetto Houston he can get away with hooker parties and snorting coke off strippers boobs.

Just stop, dumbass.

Reactions: RoanokeVAEer
Judaslscariot the only reason he came to small time U of Houston is because he failed at WVU and the AD, President and WV fans wanted him gone, out. WVU football is too good for Dana Holgorsen. Holgorsen is a terrible head coach. You’ll find out quick. WVU knows they can do better than Dana. He was going to be fired at WVU. He had to leave. They wanted him gone. He was hated for years up here.

Judaslscariot understand this. Big city schools don’t usually have great success in college football. College town atmosphere is the best. Morgantown is great area. We actually have over 108,000 and growing in the county and close to 35,000 in city limits and growing. That also doesn’t count the 30,000 plus students. With students the city has 65,000 plus and 150,000 metro Morgantown and growing. It’s not a stick in the mud here. Morgantown sits on 2 major interstates I-68 and I-79. It’s only 1 hour south of metro Pittsburgh if that. Major FBI Center 25-30 minutes south of Morgantown and the entire region is growing, developing. It’s a good place to live and work.

Ask Applewhite if there is less pressure. DH was hired to go to NY6 bowls. A coach at WVU will be lucky to finish 4th in Big12. Not sure there is less publicity in a city of 6 million vs 30,000. Houston has subdivisions with more people than Morgantown.

In a city with 60K(while school is in session) 30K w/o students, and you're the HC of the only thing in town, More people will know who you are. Like I said in previous post. The HC at WVU is as big or bigger than the Governor. You cannot go out for a movie, dinner, or a local park w/o everyone knowing who you are. In Houston, most people won't know who he is and the ones that do very few of them wouldn't ask for a photo pose, autographs, ?'s about the team like he was in WV.

Houston is a pro sports town. I live outside of Conroe, own a few rentals in Spring. Been here for 15 years now. College football is 2nd fiddle to The Astros, Texans, and Rockets. And most of the CFB fans in this town are A&M, UT, and in no particular order LSU, TT, BU, TCU, UH. I have many friends and colleagues who are Coog Alums and most of them couldn't care less about CFB. A few wagon hoppers jumped on during the Herman Years, but they're pro FB fans first. If I was the WVU AD Lyons, I would have granted the extension, but he will do well at UH with an easier schedule.

There is much more pressure at WVU. If Houston sucks you watch the Texans or the Astros or the Rockets and take your mind off of it. If WVU sucks you have not only the 1.4M that live in state but also nationwide that live and breathe our only major sports team in WV ( WVU Basketball is a distant second).

Plus we play real teams in a real conference with a real chance at the CFP. UH does not. Sorry.

Others have mentioned it too. Thank God we got Neal Brown. He wins big games on road at LSU and at Nebraska. Dana loses those games. You already expect it. 2 years ago Troy had national title winner Clemson shut down and beat in Clemson before Clemson pulled a lucky win out in the late 4th quarter. Still though Neal Brown teams compete and win. They get after your ass.

Then show us some documentation dumbass.

You are also talking about someone's dad.

Grow the **** up and act like an adult.

I don't see this passion for WV that some of you are claiming....

Nebraska has the same amount of people as WV and has sold out their stadium for 40 years and it is a 80K+ stadium.

That is a legit passionate fanbase.
Arkansas fans would eat you alive....
I could name probably 10+ fanbases.

Don't be so insecure and kick around Cougar High because they took your coach...

If y'all were really passionate like you claim WV would have the money to keep their coaches around or the money to get a coach from another P5 school.

Holgerson should do much better at Houston than he did at WVU. The competition will be way less and that will fit him very well. He will recruit better down there, and fit in better on a personal level which is huge for him. I expect he will be able to actually compete for conference titles for a change this time.

Why did he leave WVU? Other than the fact that Lyons denied his attempt at signing an extension after another under-achieving season, well there wasnt much choice. Holgs knew he lost the fan base when he saw the ticket sales to the Camper Bowl and after watching his team take another assbeating by a less talented team he was running out the door. I think he would've taken an OC job in the MAC to get out of here. I know very few people who give a rats ass about Holgs in Morgantown. Is he a bad coach? No not bad per say, just doesnt fit here well enough to get over the hump. Cant recruit this area. Fish out of water in the east.

Good deal on both sides. The Cougars get a guy who fits them very well and should make them better than they've been recently. WVU gets a legit HC who has what it takes to handle a p5 program from top to bottom. Holgs learned a lot about coaching in Morgantown and that experience will help him a lot in Houston.

Good luck Cougars. I'll be rooting for you guys and for Holgs to succeed there. I hope this fit it like a glove on both sides.

Townsvansandt where do you live? Dana had to leave or be fired. Going to Houston was only choice he had. He lost the AD, lost the president and lost the fans years ago. He would have been fired a couple years ago if the buyout money wasn’t so high after Oliver Luck the previous AD gave him a guaranteed deal. You clearly are uninformed here. Dana sucked and was lucky he lasted that long. We underachieved and he couldn’t recruit.

Houston vs Morgantown hmmmm give me Houston. More stuff to do easier recruiting and if you are single better women selection unless you want to get a chic from Waynesburg PA. Houston a better spot.

Houston vs Morgantown hmmmm give me Houston. More stuff to do easier recruiting and if you are single better women selection unless you want to get a chic from Waynesburg PA. Houston a better spot.

Houston vs Morgantown. Traffic congestion, concrete jungle, slums, terrible parts of town, crime, stench from the refineries, no hills, frequent flooding, threats of hurricanes, unbearable heat...

No thanks.

Reactions: putnam green
Houston vs Morgantown. Traffic congestion, concrete jungle, slums, terrible parts of town, crime, stench from the refineries, no hills, frequent flooding, threats of hurricanes, unbearable heat...

No thanks.

The poors in Texas are better off than the people of West Virginia.

Townsvansandt where do you live? Dana had to leave or be fired. Going to Houston was only choice he had. He lost the AD, lost the president and lost the fans years ago. He would have been fired a couple years ago if the buyout money wasn’t so high after Oliver Luck the previous AD gave him a guaranteed deal. You clearly are uninformed here. Dana sucked and was lucky he lasted that long. We underachieved and he couldn’t recruit.

Reality is going to be a difficult thing for WV

Hopefully your fans don't abandon the team

Townsvansandt your lost again. Reality is that Dana sucked and had to go or be fired. He’s not a head coach at all.

Also Houston and Texas poor are worse off. The crime, violence racial tension is terrible in scum city Houston. Houston is a thug town. Illegals are rampant, crime is high, floods destroy the area and more to come. Houston is not anything to brag about. It’s full of slums and dangerous scumbags.

Also to the guy talking about Waynesburg, PA. Why would anyone have to go to there to meet women. Morgantown and north WV has plenty of good looking women. Your clearly uninformed and stereotyping. You obviously haven’t been here or just talking out of your ass. Morgantown chicks like money, status mostly. Same with Bridgeport nearby.

According to GregJacobs...
If you live on the right side of town you don't have to deal with it.

The elites of Houston live in some of the most upscale communities in the country.
So your attacks are without merit because you have no idea what you are talking about.

Houston society still follows a social order brought over by English aristocrats.

Dream on Alice, Wonderland is just around the corner.

The median household income in Houston is 20K more than it is WV.
WV is 43K
Houston is 63K.

Just facts.

Nothing wrong with having pride where you are from but as a whole the people in WV bring in a lot less money than the norm in the United States.

Plus Houston doesn't have its hand out to the government

Out of that 43K 26.2% of the average WV income comes from the federal government in Federal Aid.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.governing.com/news/headlines/wv-the-welfare-state.html?AMP

West Virginia gets more money per person from federal government programs than any other state in the country, with more than a quarter of the income in the Mountain State coming from federal benefits, according to a new study from George Washington University.

West Virginia gets 26.2 percent of its annual income from federal government programs, while people in the rest of the nation get, on average, 16.7 percent of their income from government programs.

The median household income in Houston is 20K more than it is WV.
WV is 43K
Houston is 63K.

Just facts.

Nothing wrong with having pride where you are from but as a whole the people in WV bring in a lot less money than the norm in the United States.

Stop changing your argument, dumfuk.

The poors in Texas are better off than the people of West Virginia.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.governing.com/news/headlines/wv-the-welfare-state.html?AMP

West Virginia gets more money per person from federal government programs than any other state in the country, with more than a quarter of the income in the Mountain State coming from federal benefits, according to a new study from George Washington University.

West Virginia gets 26.2 percent of its annual income from federal government programs, while people in the rest of the nation get, on average, 16.7 percent of their income from government programs.

And you think we don’t have doctors, lawyers, engineers, business owners, energy capitalists...?

Don't get upset by facts and statistics.
I actually took it easy on you and shot at you with a .22 I can save the artillery for later if needed.

If you want to run your mouth don't get mad when the tables are turned.

Like I said there is nothing wrong with having pride about where you are from.
I think it is a great thing.

Maybe it is the Yankee in y'all...but having pride doesn't mean you can insult.

Especially when you are living in the equivalent of a dirt floor shack without plumbing.

Reactions: TexasTrill2018
Townsvansandt your lost again. Reality is that Dana sucked and had to go or be fired. He’s not a head coach at all.

Also Houston and Texas poor are worse off. The crime, violence racial tension is terrible in scum city Houston. Houston is a thug town. Illegals are rampant, crime is high, floods destroy the area and more to come. Houston is not anything to brag about. It’s full of slums and dangerous scumbags.

Also to the guy talking about Waynesburg, PA. Why would anyone have to go to there to meet women. Morgantown and north WV has plenty of good looking women. Your clearly uninformed and stereotyping. You obviously haven’t been here or just talking out of your ass. Morgantown chicks like money, status mostly. Same with Bridgeport nearby.
Oh I have been there Star City and Crocketts in fact I remember old sunny side and eating at Wings ole so nice try 304. The best thing there in Mo town are pepperoni rolls Murualls in Fairmont and Olivereos in Bridgeport and the Boston Beanery , is OK so I know the Upper Part of WV. Towers are still dumpy and the pizza place by the old bowling alley has decent pizza Still Houston has more to offer there chief. So anything else you want to know about WV just let me know

Last edited:
This might be the statement of the day...
Of course it comes from WVpride...I suspect him of being a Pitt troll.

"Your clearly uninformed and stereotyping. You obviously haven’t been here or just talking out of your ass" -Wvpride304 also known as HailtoPitt

This is funny...

West Virginia makes Mississippi look habitable.
If I was from WV I wouldn't be throwing stones in a glass house.
If someone from Mississippi ended up in West Virginia....They would get back on the bus and get the hell back to Mississippi.

Townsvansandt what? Your mentioning Houston having good areas. Half or more of Houston is ghetto slum. Many Houston city limits and Harris County suburbs are fool of trash and illegals, drugs, gangs, thugs. Houston is a tough area. Well known.

As for Morgantown you apparently don’t know much. Morgantown is expensive and full of wealthy and overpriced neighborhoods. The county is full of middle and upper class neighborhoods and developments. Pittsburgh suburbs are 45 minutes away to the north and South Fairmont area and Bridgeport area 10-30 minutes south of Morgantown are very nice. North Central WV region of WV is very nice. Lots of wealthy people actually. Morgantown has developed, grown and cleaned up nicely over the years. All college cities are growing, developing.

Morgantown area is a great place to live and raise a family. It’s quite wealthy actually and very sophisticated.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT