ADVERTISEMENT

TROLLING Why would CDH leave for Houston

Cougar Truth

Redshirting
Sep 5, 2001
https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...a-holgorsen-hired-houston-coach-west-virginia

UH has no further illusions about joining Big 12. Texas schools don’t want to compete with Houston recruiting that market on level playing field, and remember Houston’s strong performances in the old SWC. But with playoff expansion to 8, Houston’s path to CFP may not be any tougher than WVA’s, in opinions of many.

That’s not a knock on WVA. The Big 12 isn’t an easy place to win. And Houston’s spanking new facilities are better than most P5 schools already.

And with realignment likely again in a few years, doesn’t hurt to stay near the front position of G5.

Reactions: Cheers and cujer
He would have been fired at the end of next season.

Lyon's and Gee did not agree to Holgorsen contract demands. He was not worth it.

Reactions: putnam green
So at least we can agree that CDH made a fairly sound decision then.

He did.

If I was a somewhat above average coach and my school demanded more before an extension would be given and I knew a horrible season was coming, I’d be gone too.

Preserve your rep somewhat, get $20M guaranteed and be able to move back up to a legit program again in a few years.

I would have done the same.

Cougar Truth he was terrible here at WVU. Anybody blind could win 7-8 games at WVU. Dana would have been fired a few years ago if the buyout wasn’t so big after Oliver Luck gave him bad deal that caused us to be married to him a few years. He was going to be fired here at WVU. That’s only reason he came to Houston. Bad hire.

Cougar Truth he’s a terrible recruiter, bad coach that had no business getting a power 5 head coaching. Not trying to be a dick but U of Houston is a lower level where Dana belongs. Good recruits don’t go to U of Houston down there and Dana will have to compete with 20 other D1 schools in Texas alone for recruits not to mention the Big 12/SEC schools poaching away all Houston talent and Texas talent. Dana will have a tough sale trying to get good recruits to come to little U of Houston in a lower level playing in front of 22,000 people at a commuter school. WVU is way bigger time in the power 5 and would destroy U of Houston.

steeler lol but Dana won’t ever get a power 5 head coaching job ever again. He’s proven to be a horrible head coach. A blind man could coach WVU to 7-8 wins most years. Dana is a terrible coach and had to go to a lower level. WVU wanted him gone. He was toast.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...a-holgorsen-hired-houston-coach-west-virginia

UH has no further illusions about joining Big 12. Texas schools don’t want to compete with Houston recruiting that market on level playing field, and remember Houston’s strong performances in the old SWC. But with playoff expansion to 8, Houston’s path to CFP may not be any tougher than WVA’s, in opinions of many.

That’s not a knock on WVA. The Big 12 isn’t an easy place to win. And Houston’s spanking new facilities are better than most P5 schools already.

And with realignment likely again in a few years, doesn’t hurt to stay near the front position of G5.

I was thinking more for the humidity, hurricanes, mosquitoes, and cockroaches.

Guess time will tell.

FYI Ed Oliver was a 5 star and signed with Houston. But that’s not Houston’s model usually. Sign 3 star kids and bring them into weight room and eventually overachieve.

Houston has a Heisman. Does WVA?
Just sayin’.

Don’t want to debate mutual merits of our two great programs as a guest on your board.

We wish you luck in your coaching search and will be pulling for you each time you play UT, TTech, and Baylor.

Reactions: RoanokeVAEer

Because most here were tired of him...

Guess time will tell.

FYI Ed Oliver was a 5 star and signed with Houston. But that’s not Houston’s model usually. Sign 3 star kids and bring them into weight room and eventually overachieve.

Just sayin’.

Don’t want to debate mutual merits of our two great programs as a guest on your board.

We wish you luck in your coaching search and will be pulling for you each time you play UT, TTech, and Baylor.

So does Louisville and they were considering shutting down football in the 80’s.

The NBA logo is modeled after WVU alum Jerry West, but when was the last a WVU player made noise in the NBA?

The point is, everybody can claim at least one accomplishment in football.

WVU is top 15 all time in winning in football. We are not a blue blood, but we have won consistently for a long time. And that is without a lot of the built in conveniences most blue blood programs have.

Based on what we have had to work with historically, I consider WVU to be one of the all time success stories in football.

Reactions: dunnfad1
Guess time will tell.

Just sayin’.

Smart move. Coug High would suffer....greatly in that debate.

I remember Andre Ware. I also remember Roger Staubach (who was infinitely better). I’m pretty sure WVU is better than Navy at football. Same for Houston.

Houston doesn't play the SOS as WVU does. He will do better. This is a good move for him.

I think he was a good coach here. I wish him well. Good luck to Houston.

Guess time will tell.

Just sayin’.

Do they teach math at Houston Community College. Try this one!

Redshirt + 3 posts = Ignore

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Andre Ware didn’t play anybody to legitimately win Heisman Trophy. That’s Houston only claim to fame. They still sucked afterwards. WVU has also had top 5 Heisman finishers and competed for a national title and a split national title 5 years later. WVU undefeated in 1988 and 1993. WVU is a bigger time historic program compared to Houston. WVU is power 5 and Houston is in a little boys mighty might league.

WVU is a bigger job and a bigger program.

Good luck recruiting quality qbs. You’re gonna need it.

LMAO!

So does Louisville and they were considering shutting down football in the 80’s.

The NBA logo is modeled after WVU alum Jerry West, but when was the last a WVU player made noise in the NBA?

The point is, everybody can claim at least one accomplishment in football.

WVU is top 15 all time in winning in football. We are not a blue blood, but we have won consistently for a long time. And that is without a lot of the built in conveniences most blue blood programs have.

Based on what we have had to work with historically, I consider WVU to be one of the all time success stories in football.

All time success stories in football is a pathetic homer view. Wise up and realize it’s 2019 pal.

WVU recruits better than Houston. Houston only averages 22,000 home attendance. WVU is power 5. WVU is bigger time and has a bigger fanbase. Houston is a commuter school with no tradition and WVU is a flag ship top state university with real pride and tradition.

Reactions: MacMountie
WVU recruits better than Houston. Houston only averages 22,000 home attendance. WVU is power 5. WVU is bigger time and has a bigger fanbase. Houston is a commuter school with no tradition and WVU is a flag ship top state university with real pride and tradition.

All true and no questioning that. What’s your point.

The answer is our admin was willing to let him stay after a disappointing but not horrible year with probably the best pure passer in the country. I would guess if he couldn’t hit his usual 7 wins next year he would be fired and I dont think he thinks that 7 wins is achievable next season which sucks big time for us.

Enter Houston who still considers him an offensive genius because of a good season at UH about a decade ago with an NFL QB and subpar competition. Combine that with a jackass administration with a distorted sense of their own reality with a billionaire writing blank checks and you get the very unusual situation where a coach takes a lesser job and the bigger program doesn’t lift a finger to prevent it.

As for what the Cougs faithful should expect, I highly doubt that it will be the home run hire that your AD is writing a check for. However it’s definitely not a bad hire, Houston is a top 3 AAC program and DH is probably now the biggest name in that league so the chances of him driving the program backwards IMO are very slim. I would guess over a 4 year period Houston will win the AAC once or twice, I don’t think he ever delivers a UCF-like run of an undefeated season or two, I don’t think he is disciplined enough to handle a target being on his back and not falling into trap games. I just think UH could have gotten more for less but are more interested in stealing a headline.

Reactions: Euell
Dana is a home run for Houston, and was a very good coach for us. The problem was he wasn't able to get us over the hump. Hard job to do currently, not as hard as the old independent years but pretty close

banhammer.jpg

Bad hire by Houston. Oliver Luck also made a bad hire with Dana 8 years ago. Oliver was badly fooled because Dana hid behind good offensive head coaches like Mike Leach and Mike Gundy years ago for a few years. He went to Oklahoma State for 1 year where Steve Weeden was a 27 year old NFL QB and Mike Gundy always has great offense in place. Case Keenum was NFL QB at Houston where Dana hid behind him. Dana hid behind Mike Leach at Texas Tech. Guy is a fraud that dooped Oliver Luck. Dana was a horrible head coach. A blind man could win 7 games per year coaching WVU. It’s a good program.

Need a coach who can sit at a recruits kitchen table and make mom feel comfy and trusting giving her kid to the coach and program. Period. Who would you trust your kid to; a Dabo or a Dana?? Dana knows the x’s and the o’s; Dabo knows how to develop men out of the Jimmy’s and the Joe’s. Neal Brown seems to be a Dabo in the making. Hope WVU can get him.

In Morgantown while the HC at WVU, you have no privacy if you go out to shop, have a drink, or take your family to the movie theater. Everyone knows who you are. You're as big as the Governor. The HC of UH very few people could give a damn who you are. You won't be harassed on a daily basis for pictures, autographs, people asking about the team, etc. Not saying this is the only reason why he left, but considering this was part of it. Less pressure, just as much or more $, and way less publicity.

Don't listen to Pride. He's 1 paint chip away from being legally brain dead. Eats them like Cheetos.

Dana's contract talks were literally stale after the Okie State loss. This was literally the breaking point for the admin and both were ready to move on.

Last edited:
Don't listen to Pride. He's 1 paint chip away from being legally brain dead. Eats them like Cheetos.

Dana's contract talks were literally stale after the Okie State loss. This was literally the breaking point for the admin and both were ready to move on.

I missed that in Lot. Was that from reliable sources.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT