ADVERTISEMENT

Why Conf Championship games can be fool's gold

WVUDisciples

All-Conference
Dec 28, 2002
I don't know that I hear many commentator's discussing the fact that the Big 10 West Division is usually going to be ridiculously weak. Teams like Iowa may not have to play OSU, Mich, Mich St and will waltz into championship game, beat one top 10 team, and make the top 4.

Same thing for the ACC Coastal conference. After running through the gauntlet of Duke, UVa, Pitt, a down Miami, GaTech, etc., Delaware, Illinois, etc., if UNC beats just one top 15 team in the last game of season, they would get in?

Playing in the Big XII, you're going to have to, HAVE TO, (unlike Big 10 West and ACC Coastal) play all the good teams in your conference and win at least three games against top 15 teams.

We need to stay right where we are. This is how its going to work in most years. It would have been stupid for OU to have to turn around and play TCU or OSU again, just one or two weeks after beating them. It would make the regular season matchup mean NOTHING when the top two teams play.

It is in WVU's interest for the Big 12 to expand and add a couple schools in the area and then divide into East/West divisions. Without it and the Mountaineers may never make it to the NC given the long road trips to Texas and Oklahoma.

Does anyone think it is in WVU's long term recruiting and football revenue interests to put up 4-8, 7-6 records? Really? It is like saying, "wow, we were almost good this year!"

Even a 10-2, 9-3 record won't make it to the NC.

At least with an expanded conference and divisions I could see WVU in the hunt for conference championships on a regular basis.

I don't know that I hear many commentator's discussing the fact that the Big 10 West Division is usually going to be ridiculously weak. Teams like Iowa may not have to play OSU, Mich, Mich St and will waltz into championship game, beat one top 10 team, and make the top 4.

Same thing for the ACC Coastal conference. After running through the gauntlet of Duke, UVa, Pitt, a down Miami, GaTech, etc., Delaware, Illinois, etc., if UNC beats just one top 15 team in the last game of season, they would get in?

Playing in the Big XII, you're going to have to, HAVE TO, (unlike Big 10 West and ACC Coastal) play all the good teams in your conference and win at least three games against top 15 teams.

We need to stay right where we are. This is how its going to work in most years. It would have been stupid for OU to have to turn around and play TCU or OSU again, just one or two weeks after beating them. It would make the regular season matchup mean NOTHING when the top two teams play.
Agree, if we aren't expanding, a conference championship game could only hurt us!! Only way I'd want a CCG is if we expanded!!

The problem with not having a CCG is that not having that extra game drops the BIG 12 champion in the final results. So far it cost the league a championship bid the first year, and did not this year only because Stanford already had two losses and that will never be better than one.

The conference can't continue to be waiting it out until the last weekend and hoping someone else slips up.

With the Big Ten trying to stop CCG deregulation so that the BIG 12 can't have a divisionless league have a CCG--its probably not going to be possible to have a 10 team CCG anyway, unless the conference wants to create pointless divisions in a ten team league.

Everyone with 10 teams will continue to play one another each year, so even if there were two divisions. Playing a CCG with ten teams just gives the conference a 50-50 shot to get knocked out of the playoffs via a rematch and you aren't likely to have the two best teams playing anyway.

Expansion is the solution.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT