ADVERTISEMENT

What three things does WVU need...

Auburn is a blue blood. That is hilarious to me and every Alabama fan out there. Auburn won a championship with blue collars, not blue blood. Besides, 'blue blood' is merely a term for someone you think is inherently better than you.

Georgia won a national championship on the back of Herschel Walker only 36 years ago, I'm sure they're 'blue bloods' too!

Auburn won a NC with paying Cam Newton and his Daddy a bunch of money. Nothing screams blue blood more than that.

Bo knows blue blood..............

Reactions: ThePunish-EER
There are about 16 blue bloods. One of these will win a NC every single year.

Michigan, Ohio State, Penn state, Nebraska, Florida State, Miami, Alabama, Auburn, Florida, LSU, Georgia, Tennessee, Texas, Oklahoma, USC, Notre Dame

Sleeping Giant about to join the list: Clemson.

Last edited:
Classifying whether a team is a blue blood or not is subjective. I think to be a blue blood you have to have resources money and a long tradition of winning and a big alumni base

Last edited:
Yes, and those 16 fit all the criteria.

I don't agree with you on Miami. They where nothing before 1984 I know they have won 4 or 5 national championships since then but that was due to an advantageous recruiting advantage. The job was never high paying it was simply a stepping stone for the NFL. They did hire Richt and rumor has it that he is being payed 4 million but that is because he is alumni and this salary is out of character for previous hires. They also don't have their own stadium either and haven't won anything of significance in over a decade. I think of Blue bloods as teams that have been winning for multiple decades not just a 15-20 year span

There are about 16 blue bloods. One of these will win a NC every single year.

Michigan, Ohio State, Penn state, Nebraska, Florida State, Miami, Alabama, Auburn, Florida, LSU, Georgia, Tennessee, Texas, Oklahoma, USC, Notre Dame

Sleeping Giant about to join the list: Clemson.

Michigan always gets me chuckling. They are called a blue blood yet they only have 1 national championship ( 1997 ) since 1948 and all of the ones before then are claimed, not actual.

Michigan always gets me chuckling. They are called a blue blood yet they only have 1 national championship ( 1997 ) since 1948 and all of the ones before then are claimed, not actual.

The one thing i can honestly say about Michigan is they have a Hugh alumni base Ive seen them every where Ive been. They might not have the national championships but boy they have a fan base that rivals the best of them

sorry, the mountaineers would have still lost to ND with a healthy Major. The game was a blowout despite the final score.
Notre Dame was stronger and more physical. So it would have been closer but very good chance to be a loss. And I think the same thing would have happened vs Ohio State in 2007 - Stronger and more physical.

Due to mismanagement primarily by crooked and inept politicians and corporate heads I've heard, "Thank God for Mississippi!" too many times my whole life. What do 1.8 million people inside the borders and millions more outside need more than anything? Bragging rights.

What's sad is the fact we have been around 1.8 million for a number of years now. And you are correct, we need bragging rights because the politicians will keep us dead last in every other category.

What's sad is the fact we have been around 1.8 million for a number of years now. And you are correct, we need bragging rights because the politicians will keep us dead last in every other category.
Many years ago, a middle aged co-worker once said, "I think we should petition Virginia to take us back.". The older I get, the more I agree with him.

I sure can't wait for the 2016 football season to begin. The off season banter is boring and almost bring ole Warez to tears. HOLG$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!

I'm almost as tired of the very subjective words 'blue blood' as I am 'It is what it is'. Besides, with the elitism connotation that the label blue blood implies wouldn't it really only apply to Ivy League schools?

Reactions: BobbyBoucheer
I'm almost as tired of the very subjective words 'blue blood' as I am 'It is what it is'. Besides, with the elitism connotation that the label blue blood implies wouldn't it really only apply to Ivy League schools?

That's not what blue bloods means.
Blue bloods = "We've been winning for _______ decades, have $_______ million to buy better coaches, facilities, equipment, etc., and have a huge fan base that draws ratings." That's the significance.

OK, guys. Then why isn't A&M winning NCs with the largest athletic budget in college sports at $192.6 million dollars? Or Texas with $183.5 million? All of that money got the Aggies an 8 - 5 record and a loss to Louisville in the Music City Bowl this past season. FSU had a budget that was $60 million less than the top earners and they do OK.

You must have sufficient resources for facilities, coaches' salaries, recruiting, etc. but at some point having even more does not ensure winning. WVU's budget was $90.5 million for 2015 and will likely close in on $95 million for 2016. How about Clemson? Do they have a shot at the NC? Not according to your theory, their 2015 budget was $83.5 million. And they're located out in the middle of nowhere in western South Carolina.

It is simply not accurate to say WVU has no chance when they are putting a significant number of players in the NFL. WVU is not lacking in athletic income to accomplish the procurement of everything needed to compete at the top level. My numbers come from here.

Not the kind of money I was referring to but I get your point. Money I was thinking about was more what tv dollars are generated by the match up, not what the program spent.

Clemson still has a certain cache' that WVU doesn't have as yet with regard to a national tv appeal. Clemson, UGA, WVU all last competed for a NC in the 1980s, only Clemson has been back since and did make a splash this year.

Not the kind of money I was referring to but I get your point. Money I was thinking about was more what tv dollars are generated by the match up, not what the program spent.

Clemson still has a certain cache' that WVU doesn't have as yet with regard to a national tv appeal. Clemson, UGA, WVU all last competed for a NC in the 1980s, only Clemson has been back since and did make a splash this year.

It's also relative. The money a school has relative to the teams it plays is also a part of it.

,,,and what does a discussion on Bluebloods have to do with this thread's topic?
It's pretty relevant. The OP asked what WVU needs to win a NC. They need to be a Blueblood; which they are not. Therefore, they won't win a NC. Only 16-17 schools can realistically win a NC. Everyone else plays for the other BCS bowls, conference championships, and lesser bowls.

It's pretty relevant. The OP asked what WVU needs to win a NC. They need to be a Blueblood; which they are not. Therefore, they won't win a NC. Only 16-17 schools can realistically win a NC. Everyone else plays for the other BCS bowls, conference championships, and lesser bowls.

Lots of theys, not many wes..................hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

If the school with the most money and fame always wins, why aren't ND, A&M and UT undefeated nearly every year? They seem to be cyclical like most major teams. If you have all of the money you require does having even more help?

WVU coaches are all over the country recruiting as hard as they can. They aren't riding buses or driving if the distance is significant. Someone is supplying them with planes. Would it help if they had LearJets?

If the school with the most money and fame always wins, why aren't ND, A&M and UT undefeated nearly every year? They seem to be cyclical like most major teams. If you have all of the money you require does having even more help?

WVU coaches are all over the country recruiting as hard as they can. They aren't riding buses or driving if the distance is significant. Someone is supplying them with planes. Would it help if they had LearJets?

Money doesn't guarantee wins. Everybody is going to be down at times. What having money and prestige do is to make it easier to rebound from a down period than it is for other teams. That's why you have a core group of teams that are generally Top 20-caliber teams, and everybody else just makes an appearance from time to time. It's averages over the long term, not brief snapshots.

Once an athletic program reaches a certain level, I fail to see how "money" will help them rebound from down seasons...can't pay for players like the NFL LOL. Truly.

Once an athletic program reaches a certain level, I fail to see how "money" will help them rebound from down seasons...can't pay for players like the NFL LOL. Truly.

K.. ...but you didn't define a 'certain level'.

You really are having trouble following, aren't you? As I've shown, there are 16-17 blue bloods. One of those will win the NC every single year. Facts show this to be true since the modern day BCS was formed up until the new system today. It's a tough pill for any fan outside of those schools to swallow. It's just the reality of the situation.

You have no facts. There is no criteria. There is just you trying to look like you have deep insight. LOL But since you are unable to answer the question I asked to post this thread, I'll just sit back and watch you pontificate your vast google based knowledge. Have a good time.

You have no facts. There is no criteria. There is just you trying to look like you have deep insight. LOL But since you are unable to answer the question I asked to post this thread, I'll just sit back and watch you pontificate your vast google based knowledge. Have a good time.
lmao I just showed you and the OP the schools who are in the blue bloods that will and have won the NC every year since the BCS was born until the current system today. Nobody outside that group has won since the new era. It's been nearly 25 years since Colorado, Georgia Tech, and Washington did it.

They can build better facilities and coaches to attract recruits. Alabama is a perfect example of this. They were 6-7 the year before Saban got there. They had the money to get Saban, and then won 4 national championships in the past 8 years. Money helped them get, and keep, Saban.

One of the things we need is for our own fans to quit making excuses and get rid of the inferiority complex. No one said it'd be easy. But to say it will never happen is not only pathetic but having a defeatist attitude. Nobody thought we'd be able to land on the moon 50 years ago too. So please Punish Eer, why don't you look for solutions to help increase the revenues which could benefit in the long run and have a can do attitude.

I will agree with you about one thing the Blue Blood Booster $ the traditional powerhouses have. Not saying we'll be at that level but amongst WVU alums we are closer to the bottom as far as alumni givebacks/donations in the power 5. Not talking about conf. revenue sharing or our own Tier 3 rights, but the amount of donors and dollar amounts of the Mountaineer Athletic Club compared to other schools' booster clubs.

Until Ollie came aboard WVU did not aggressively pursue new donors. I remember a former deputy director AD once said "Soliciting new boosters is a waste of time" Love Ollie or Hate Ollie, He raised the bar and the new AD seems to be moving in the right direction. No disrespect intended Punish, but it seems you have the attitude the of one of the previous AD's staff. Ken Kendrick said it best "A 40-50 mil a year revenue department ran like a dry cleaning store"

Reactions: ColoradoMountaineer
One of the things we need is for our own fans to quit making excuses and get rid of the inferiority complex. No one said it'd be easy. But to say it will never happen is not only pathetic but having a defeatist attitude. Nobody thought we'd be able to land on the moon 50 years ago too. So please Punish Eer, why don't you look for solutions to help increase the revenues which could benefit in the long run and have a can do attitude.

I will agree with you about one thing the Blue Blood Booster $ the traditional powerhouses have. Not saying we'll be at that level but amongst WVU alums we are closer to the bottom as far as alumni givebacks/donations in the power 5. Not talking about conf. revenue sharing or our own Tier 3 rights, but the amount of donors and dollar amounts of the Mountaineer Athletic Club compared to other schools' booster clubs.

Until Ollie came aboard WVU did not aggressively pursue new donors. I remember a former deputy director AD once said "Soliciting new boosters is a waste of time" Love Ollie or Hate Ollie, He raised the bar and the new AD seems to be moving in the right direction. No disrespect intended Punish, but it seems you have the attitude the of one of the previous AD's staff. Ken Kendrick said it best "A 40-50 mil a year revenue department ran like a dry cleaning store"
you totally have me wrong. I couldn't stand the old regime of Pastilong and Parsons. I was a big Oliver Luck, Rodriguez fan during their times here. I totally agreed with ditching WVRC for IMG. I totally agreed with replacing Stewart. I completely agreed with leaving the Big East to join the Big 12. However, I also realize the discrepancy at the top of the chain. There are the blue bloods, and the rest of us. It is the way it is because they are the schools with the most. It's not an inferiority complex. It is the reality facing every school not in that 16-17 school club.

you totally have me wrong. I couldn't stand the old regime of Pastilong and Parsons. I was a big Oliver Luck, Rodriguez fan during their times here. I totally agreed with ditching WVRC for IMG. I totally agreed with replacing Stewart. I completely agreed with leaving the Big East to join the Big 12. However, I also realize the discrepancy at the top of the chain. There are the blue bloods, and the rest of us. It is the way it is because they are the schools with the most. It's not an inferiority complex. It is the reality facing every school not in that 16-17 school club.

So.................I see that you are a YES MAN. Do I have you totally right?

You really are having trouble following, aren't you? As I've shown, there are 16-17 blue bloods. One of those will win the NC every single year. Facts show this to be true since the modern day BCS was formed up until the new system today. It's a tough pill for any fan outside of those schools to swallow. It's just the reality of the situation.

So called 'blue bloods' as relating to football programs is nothing more than perception in the eyes of a group of fans and writers. What you call blue bloods are simply a group of schools that you have determined are simply superior to everyone else. I will never follow you, but I understand your elitist attitude very well. Your perception and pre-conceived ideas and judgement are your reality and no amount of debate, logic and reason will ever change that.

I deal with arrogant, superficial people like you every day in my reality and fare quite well. Most of us here are WVU fans and do not accept or believe that our school nor we as fans are simply inferior and always will be. You saying it's true only makes it that much sweeter each time the Mountaineers defeat one of your blue bloods on the playing field.

Every board has a handful of sarcastic trolls that have a strange inherent need to criticize and attempt to ridicule . The actual reality is, the vast majority on here are true blue WVU fans and do not care what your group thinks.

So called 'blue bloods' as relating to football programs is nothing more than perception in the eyes of a group of fans and writers. What you call blue bloods are simply a group of schools that you have determined are simply superior to everyone else. I will never follow you, but I understand your elitist attitude very well. Your perception and pre-conceived ideas and judgement are your reality and no amount of debate, logic and reason will ever change that.

I deal with arrogant, superficial people like you every day in my reality and fare quite well. Most of us here are WVU fans and do not accept or believe that our school nor we as fans are simply inferior and always will be. You saying it's true only makes it that much sweeter each time the Mountaineers defeat one of your blue bloods on the playing field.

Every board has a handful of sarcastic trolls that have a strange inherent need to criticize and attempt to ridicule . The actual reality is, the vast majority on here are true blue WVU fans and do not care what your group thinks.
You really aren't that bright, are you?

You really aren't that bright, are you?

That would be relative. Compared to a handful of posters such as Charleston Mountie, Rootmaster, MountainMan and a couple of others I am a novice regarding the inner workings of college sports conferences. Strictly in that regard I may not be very bright, but I have an open mind and information cures ignorance.

In that same area of expertise, compared to you and a couple of other self righteous, Holier than thou trolls I am a genius. As the comedian Ron White said, "You can't fix stupid." My final comment to you on this board as I hit the ignore option is; WVU 70 Clemson 33

That would be relative. Compared to a handful of posters such as Charleston Mountie, Rootmaster, MountainMan and a couple of others I am a novice regarding the inner workings of college sports conferences. Strictly in that regard I may not be very bright, but I have an open mind and information cures ignorance.

In that same area of expertise, compared to you and a couple of other self righteous, Holier than thou trolls I am a genius. As the comedian Ron White said, "You can't fix stupid." My final comment to you on this board as I hit the ignore option is; WVU 70 Clemson 33

I regard you as an equal and then some. You have shown a lot of drive to research many leads and follow up with professionally written correspondence and FOIA requests; all are signs of intellectual integrity and honesty.

Reactions: michaelwalkerbr

lmao yeah that makes sense. Talk smack to a WVU fan over WVU winning a bowl game. As I said before, you aren't very bright.

Punish-EER...did you even graduate from any school at any level. What a tool! But you are good for a laugh or two. LOL

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT