ADVERTISEMENT

What three things does WVU need...

Rootmaster

All-Conference
Apr 16, 2011
Florida
to WIN a football national championship?

I say:

1. much better skill position recruiting
2. much better game day coaching
3. Big 12-2=10 to strengthen itself and stabilize which in the end will address 1 and 2 in some manner

Your thoughts?

I say:

3. Big 12-2=10 to strengthen itself and stabilize which in the end will address 1 and 2 in some manner
Your thoughts?

I'd say:

1. Mo money
2. Mo money
3. Mo money

It hasn't happened in a WVU history that goes back more than a century.
Nehlen and the Major had a shot.
Rich had a shot before the Pitt game.
Otherwise, conference championships are the best we've been able to do.

So, to win the national title, we need only one thing: A Miracle.

But I'm enjoying watching my alma mater in every Mountaineer Field game anyway. Not many schools win the national title. A lot more don't. So WVU isn't unique in that.

I say:

Your thoughts?
1. Better head coaching. I like Dana as an Offensive Coordinator, but still hasn't proven he is anywhere near a National Championship coach. I'm scared if we replace Dana too early or in the wrong way we will go into a tail spin. It can be much worst. Dana has gotten better as he goes along, but still isn't good enough.
2. Depth across the board. We have had good enough skill players under Dana but not good enough talent and coaching at every position.
3. I think our chances would be better to get into THE playoff by winning our side of the league and getting in a Big 12 championship game. Luck, getting hot, and good match-ups ...we could win 3 in a row & celebrate for the ages.

Skill players?
Running backs going to NFL (check)
Wide receivers going to NFL (check)
Defensive backs going to NFL (check)
Quarterbacks like Will Grier (soon)
Better play calling and game management (Improving)

Reactions: lenny4wvu
I don't expect Holgs coaching to improve since I feel that he is doing his level best right now. The mythical NC? I don't expect WV to ever win that dadgum thing and really ...........I don't care. You ain't got nothing after you win the dadgum thing! The coaches and shiny shoes profit but what do you and I get for it? Bragging rights? Who needs that?

Due to mismanagement primarily by crooked and inept politicians and corporate heads I've heard, "Thank God for Mississippi!" too many times my whole life. What do 1.8 million people inside the borders and millions more outside need more than anything? Bragging rights.

1) Move to a different state with more D1 prospects.
2) Ditto
3) Ditto

If we can move WVU from Morgantown to Tampa, then we are set. USF wastes that talent bed anyhow.

I think that we need all on one team/at the same time:

1. A dominant, generational talent at QB.
Without disparaging the talents of guys like Hostetler, Bulger and Geno - great players- my view is we
had this 2 times (I'm talking incredibly athletic plus the intangibles)- Major Harris and Pat White. (So, at least in my view we've had this).
2. A Dominant defense. (I'd say we had this 1x in last 30 years: 1996).
3. A very good OL (I don't think it needs to necessarily be best ever, but very good - good enough to protect QB against very good DLs from SEC, Ohio St, FSU etc). Although we had a very good OL in 1988, Major was running for his life vs. ND and to me, it was the biggest mismatch of the game: ND's crushing DL (and LBs) and our inability to give Major any time or any room to run. (Plus they separated his shoulder). I think we may have had our best OL in recent memory when we had the Sugar Bowl team- anchored by Mozes and Stanchek- that was a very good College OL.
4. An experienced, strong gameday coach. (This is the debate that is tough to gauge- was Don at this level at one point? Arguably he was - he pulled off some nice wins. But wasn't able to win in big bowl games - was that an indictment of him or just the teams we had weren't talented enough?) Was Rich at this level? (Maybe, he did it vs. Georgia but couldn't adjust at home vs a one-dimensional 4-7 Pitt).

So, I'd say it's definitely not impossible. But, we'd really need a lot to line up right, at the same time.

I say:

Your thoughts?

Just imagine if Major doesn't get hurt and Rich Rod isn't distracted by the thought of coaching at "a place like Michigan" WVU probably has 2 National Championships and the "slightly off" portion of its fanbase doesn't exist. So close, so close

A place like WVU needs three things to come together.

1. A bigtime QB with great decision making and arm to match.
2. Deep, strong Dline that can get after the QB
3. Nasty, mean Oline.

Just imagine if Major doesn't get hurt and Rich Rod isn't distracted by the thought of coaching at "a place like Michigan" WVU probably has 2 National Championships and the "slightly off" portion of its fanbase doesn't exist. So close, so close
sorry, the mountaineers would have still lost to ND with a healthy Major. The game was a blowout despite the final score.

sorry, the mountaineers would have still lost to ND with a healthy Major. The game was a blowout despite the final score.

I guess we saw different games. I saw it closer than the score even with Major, Grantis Bell, a prominent offensive lineman and defensive back injured during the game. WVU had a chance to pull within six during the third quarter and failed with Major no longer a running threat with a separated shoulder. Nehlen swore afterward if both teams were healthy and played four times, WVU wins three. At this point, does it really matter?

LOL. I hope you were jiving. You know they can't do that don't you? this is the NCAA not the NFL
Of course I know that. I'm saying it would be the only way WVU will win a NC. It would be the only way WVU ever gets consistent top 5 classes. Therefore, it will never happen.

I guess we saw different games. I saw it closer than the score even with Major, Grantis Bell, a prominent offensive lineman and defensive back injured during the game. WVU had a chance to pull within six during the third quarter and failed with Major no longer a running threat with a separated shoulder. Nehlen swore afterward if both teams were healthy and played four times, WVU wins three. At this point, does it really matter?
So we are to believe Nehlen would have won 3 times in a bowl (much less the NC) against ND? Lol. He couldn't win a bowl to save his life.

WVU never had a chance in the game after the REFs permitted Holtz to send out a hit squad to cripple Major. That was what that sorry SOB did and he got rewarded with it. Holtz knew he could not win if Major was healthy and on the field and once Major was assassinated in front of everyone and God and the Refs proclaimed there was nothing to see here, the team knew instantly the fix was in and no matter what they did they weren't going to win. Don did his best and I think the team did as well, but on the bench there was talk about reality.

Of course I know that. I'm saying it would be the only way WVU will win a NC. It would be the only way WVU ever gets consistent top 5 classes. Therefore, it will never happen.

WVU will win a NC when we have a HC worthy of the name. I detest RR but he was one duplicitous distraction from getting it done and he is not the best coach out there. You don't need #2 or #3. The success of a team rest on the HC. A good coach can take a bad team and do wonders with it and a good coach is not going to have a bad team long.

WVU will win a NC when we have a HC worthy of the name. I detest RR but he was one duplicitous distraction from getting it done and he is not the best coach out there. You don't need #2 or #3. The success of a team rest on the HC. A good coach can take a bad team and do wonders with it and a good coach is not going to have a bad team long.
i believe there are facts showing the last 10-15 NC's have been won by schools with a few top 5 recruiting classes before they won it all.

i believe there are facts showing the last 10-15 NC's have been won by schools with a few top 5 recruiting classes before they won it all.

I don't think so. Recruiting class ratings are so subjective I'll bet that is nowhere near true for first time championships. I'll even do the research. WVU was tied this year for the 8th most players drafted, but the class(es) they came from were likely 'judged' in the 30s. Let's just go with 10, three years before they won a NC. Would four years be better?

Okay I get it. Some on the forum believe that WVU football started a few years ago and any team or coach before that time were flawed and the games they won meaningless. However, this thread was a serious attempt to discuss what WVU needs to compete for the big prize, not to belittle coaches and teams that some don't have a clue about. If the current clueless HC were worth a damn then there would be a lot more W's listed in the conference.

2011 recruiting classes (RC rankings - 1. FSU 2. AL. 3. Auburn 4. USC 5.Texas NC 2015 - AL
2010 RC - 1. FL 2. UT. 3. AL 4. Auburn 5. OK NC 2014 - OSU
2009 RC - 1. LSU 2. AL 3. UT 4. USC 5. FL NC 2013 - AL
2008 RC - 1. Miami 2. Clemson 3. AL 4. FL 5. GA NC 2012 - FL
2007 RC - 1. USC 2. FL 3. UT 4. South Car. 5. TN NC 2011 - AL
2006 RC - 1. FL 2. USC 3. UT 4. GA 5. ND NC 2010 - Auburn

That's all I can easily get for recruiting classes as judged by ESPN. You are right 3 out of 6 times thanks to Alabama. However, look at some of the others in the top five RCs and remember how well they did. Texas is in there 5 out of 6 years and look how well they have done since 2010. Recruiting rankings are relevent, but certainly not decisive. Auburn won with mostly 3 star recruits, a few 4 stars and a couple of 5 stars.

I should have listed a fourth thing WVU needs in my opinion...an attitude and cache as a bad ass team willing to tangle up with anybody anytime and making sure that the other team wakes up the next morning with a killer headache. In other words, a little smash mouth football instead of the video game variety that is the trend these days. There is a reason the SEC is so damn consistently dominant.

WVU will play for a NC again in my lifetime. I listed what they need at the beginning of this string. They have most of them.
There's a difference in playing for one and winning one. The 1988 team played nobody except Syracuse and sneaked into the title game where they got manhandled. If you're gonna win it all, today you will need to be legit. To do that, WVU must have top 5-10 classes. It's not gonna happen.

With the playoff we have a chance to compete, under the old format we needed help before the opening kickoff, once a decade we typically field a team worthy of competing for the prize, we will get another crack, it's just a simple combo of:

1. Elite QB - doesn't necessarily have to be the next Peyton Manning, a Pat White, Geno, or Major are enough
2. Handful of NFL talents in other roles - we had this just last year
3. Some luck - like basically every national champion has had in the history of the sport, even the most dominant Bama teams were tested

With the playoff we have a chance to compete, under the old format we needed help before the opening kickoff, once a decade we typically field a team worthy of competing for the prize, we will get another crack, it's just a simple combo of:

1. Elite QB - doesn't necessarily have to be the next Peyton Manning, a Pat White, Geno, or Major are enough
2. Handful of NFL talents in other roles - we had this just last year
3. Some luck - like basically every national champion has had in the history of the sport, even the most dominant Bama teams were tested

Well stated. That funny shaped ball has to bounce your way a few times. If Grier was eligible this year they could have been a very tough out.They still may be.

Look at which teams have won the NC since the inception of big money tv contracts and you will see that WVUFan is correct. As Warez would say...follow the money and the shiny shoes.

OK, guys. Then why isn't A&M winning NCs with the largest athletic budget in college sports at $192.6 million dollars? Or Texas with $183.5 million? All of that money got the Aggies an 8 - 5 record and a loss to Louisville in the Music City Bowl this past season. FSU had a budget that was $60 million less than the top earners and they do OK.

You must have sufficient resources for facilities, coaches' salaries, recruiting, etc. but at some point having even more does not ensure winning. WVU's budget was $90.5 million for 2015 and will likely close in on $95 million for 2016. How about Clemson? Do they have a shot at the NC? Not according to your theory, their 2015 budget was $83.5 million. And they're located out in the middle of nowhere in western South Carolina.

It is simply not accurate to say WVU has no chance when they are putting a significant number of players in the NFL. WVU is not lacking in athletic income to accomplish the procurement of everything needed to compete at the top level. My numbers come from here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT