ADVERTISEMENT

What three things does WVU need...

OK, guys. Then why isn't A&M winning NCs with the largest athletic budget in college sports at $192.6 million dollars? Or Texas with $183.5 million? All of that money got the Aggies an 8 - 5 record and a loss to Louisville in the Music City Bowl this past season. FSU had a budget that was $60 million less than the top earners and they do OK.

You must have sufficient resources for facilities, coaches' salaries, recruiting, etc. but at some point having even more does not ensure winning. WVU's budget was $90.5 million for 2015 and will likely close in on $95 million for 2016. How about Clemson? Do they have a shot at the NC? Not according to your theory, their 2015 budget was $83.5 million. And they're located out in the middle of nowhere in western South Carolina.

It is simply not accurate to say WVU has no chance when they are putting a significant number of players in the NFL. WVU is not lacking in athletic income to accomplish the procurement of everything needed to compete at the top level. My numbers come from here.
Nobody said EVERYONE who spends a ton of money will win a NC. However, nobody who is unable to spend a lot of money will win a NC. Sorry, WVU lacks the necessary ingredients; 1.) Blueblood tradition, 2.) instate recruiting, 3.) lack of Blueblood amount of booster money, 4.) top 5-10 classes. BTW, Clemson pulls in routine 5-10 ranked classes.

OK, guys. Then why isn't A&M winning NCs with the largest athletic budget in college sports at $192.6 million dollars? Or Texas with $183.5 million? All of that money got the Aggies an 8 - 5 record and a loss to Louisville in the Music City Bowl this past season. FSU had a budget that was $60 million less than the top earners and they do OK.

You must have sufficient resources for facilities, coaches' salaries, recruiting, etc. but at some point having even more does not ensure winning. WVU's budget was $90.5 million for 2015 and will likely close in on $95 million for 2016. How about Clemson? Do they have a shot at the NC? Not according to your theory, their 2015 budget was $83.5 million. And they're located out in the middle of nowhere in western South Carolina.

It is simply not accurate to say WVU has no chance when they are putting a significant number of players in the NFL. WVU is not lacking in athletic income to accomplish the procurement of everything needed to compete at the top level. My numbers come from here.

What WVU lacks is a big time sugar daddy. We had one in Mike Puskar before he passed away but his family is not as inclined as Mike was.

What WVU lacks is a big time sugar daddy. We had one in Mike Puskar before he passed away but his family is not as inclined as Mike was.
Puskar was a big time booster. However, to get an idea of my point, a school like Ohio State likely has 15-20 Mike Puskar level boosters. Maybe more.

A shootout? It was hardly competitive. Anyone with eyeballs could easily distinguish the better team on the field.

I said I think it would have been a shootout with Major in the whole game. Changes the whole dynamics. Our offense would have been on the field more and limiting their possessions. YOu are basing your opinion off of the actual game whereas your original point was it wouldnt have matter if Major WAS NOT injured and played the entire game. My point is taken from the HYPOTHETICAL.

Damn, how hard is it to follow?

Puskar was a big time booster. However, to get an idea of my point, a school like Ohio State likely has 15-20 Mike Puskar level boosters. Maybe more.

Booster money doesnt mean everything. No one has as much booster money than Texas and Notre Dame and when was the last time they won a NC? It helps, but so many factors play into a successful program.

Reactions: OlegeezEER
you were a better poster when you had an avitar.
I know I've changed my stance in the last year. It's simply because I accepted reality. The game is geared towards only allowing certain schools to win the NC. Think of the last time a Blueblood did not win the NC. It's been about 32 years when BYU won it. The game has changed. The necessary ingredients to win it all are not possible unless you are a blue blood.

I know I've changed my stance in the last year. It's simply because I accepted reality. The game is geared towards only allowing certain schools to win the NC. Think of the last time a Blueblood did not win the NC. It's been about 32 years when BYU won it. The game has changed. The necessary ingredients to win it all are not possible unless you are a blue blood.

I agree that the fans, the press, and the ncaa all are very biased towards, what ws call blue bloods. The only two programs that have won a National title that werent traditional blue bloods since I was a child was Washington, Clemson, and BYU, and Miami many times.

I agree that the fans, the press, and the ncaa all are very biased towards, what ws call blue bloods. The only two programs that have won a National title that werent traditional blue bloods since I was a child was Washington, Clemson, and BYU, and Miami many times.
Yeah I forgot about Washington, Colorado, and Georgia Tech back in the early 90's. Like I said though, the game has changed. Those schools couldn't do that today. Miami is an enigma. They became a Blueblood in the early 80's. And they cheated to remain one combined with an explosion of instate talent.

Nobody said EVERYONE who spends a ton of money will win a NC. However, nobody who is unable to spend a lot of money will win a NC. Sorry, WVU lacks the necessary ingredients; 1.) Blueblood tradition, 2.) instate recruiting, 3.) lack of Blueblood amount of booster money, 4.) top 5-10 classes. BTW, Clemson pulls in routine 5-10 ranked classes.

The ONLY thing it takes to win a NC or any other game is to outscore your opponent. All the rest is simply fluff and speculation. If you have enough money to compete, you have enough to win. The only thing left to debate is whether you are a team's fan or simply a hater.

The Mountaineers have reached the title game and had another opportunity to reach it with fewer NFL caliber players. Many of those stars which determine the ranking of recruiting classes are very subjective. For every team with top five recruiting classes that make the NC game there four who did not.

A single sugar daddy is nice but an effective call girl can do just as well overall. MAC donations are at an all time high and the athletic department has a $4 million surplus. Besides expanding the training room and rebuilding the indoor practice center to attract even more quality recruits, what is left besides effective game strategy and play calling?

The ONLY thing it takes to win a NC or any other game is to outscore your opponent. All the rest is simply fluff and speculation. If you have enough money to compete, you have enough to win. The only thing left to debate is whether you are a team's fan or simply a hater.

The Mountaineers have reached the title game and had another opportunity to reach it with fewer NFL caliber players. Many of those stars which determine the ranking of recruiting classes are very subjective. For every team with top five recruiting classes that make the NC game there four who did not.

A single sugar daddy is nice but an effective call girl can do just as well overall. MAC donations are at an all time high and the athletic department has a $4 million surplus. Besides expanding the training room and rebuilding the indoor practice center to attract even more quality recruits, what is left besides effective game strategy and play calling?
Believe me, I once shared your beliefs. Eventually, like me, you will accept reality.

Recruiting is the major key.

Look up the winners of the last 20 NC and see what their recruiting was like.

If WVU has no chance challenging the Blue Bloods for a NC then why do we obsess about the Conference we perform in, the coach that leads the team, the recruits we land etc? We could become Div III and still watch the Mountaineers on Saturday. I still feel, with the right recruits and staff and a whole lot of luck, that WVU can win it all. However, I do agree that the environment for the game has changed dramatically. The coming cable television industry collapse could reverse things and even the playing field again.

Reactions: michaelwalkerbr
Yeah I forgot about Washington, Colorado, and Georgia Tech back in the early 90's. Like I said though, the game has changed. Those schools couldn't do that today. Miami is an enigma. They became a Blueblood in the early 80's. And they cheated to remain one combined with an explosion of instate talent.
you didn't forget anything. those were split championships..thus the BCS..the SOS was implemented when BYU won the national championship in 84 with a weak schedule.

Believe me, I once shared your beliefs. Eventually, like me, you will accept reality.

More often than not an SEC powerhouse or Ohio State will win, they will not win every year, Clemson and Oregon are knocking on the door, both programs that are nowhere close to a historical "blue blood".

Get a great QB, combined with some seniors, and NFL talent and were there. We've had two great QBs in our recent history, we just had the most guys drafted over a 4 year stretch if I'm not mistaken. It's really not that hard to compete at that level, just got to get the breaks when we have a team capable to compete.

Major Harris getting hurt - bad break

Playing the worst game of the year in an important bowl game - bad break (debatable if we would've been champs anyway)

McAfee missing consecutive 20 yard FGs - bad break

"Give me one great player and a bunch of good players and I will compete for a championship" - Bobby Bowden during his glory years at FSU.

1) A growing statewide population and economy that would help increase high school population and provide us with a better chance of generating more home grown recruits.
2) Money.
3) Consistent success at the highest levels of college football. You have to be knocking on the door a lot to develop the reputation that you are a legitimate national championship contender. It is not a business for one-hit wonders.

We are at an all-time high. However, we have a long ways to go to be competitive with the upper echelon. Keep in mind that for many years, we did not aggressively pursue all sources of potential income. We need to keep beating the drum and get a little better each year.

Reactions: Mountain Man
Consistent success at the highest levels of college football. You have to be knocking on the door a lot to develop the reputation that you are a legitimate national championship contender. It is not a business for one-hit wonders.

Good point and to the point.

1) A growing statewide population and economy that would help increase high school population and provide us with a better chance of generating more home grown recruits.
2) Money.
3) Consistent success at the highest levels of college football. You have to be knocking on the door a lot to develop the reputation that you are a legitimate national championship contender. It is not a business for one-hit wonders.

One NC for WVU before I die. Just so I can tell these Gamecock and Clemson fans to kiss my Gold and Blue ass!

Reactions: BobbyBoucheer
2) Money.

For number 1, while that would be great for a variety of reasons, I don't think that would tangibly help WVU on the football field, atleast not in the next 15 or so years.

Since WVU started playing football in 1891...125 years ago...then maybe waiting 15 years or so for some D1 instate talent wouldn't be such a long time! Lol

More often than not an SEC powerhouse or Ohio State will win, they will not win every year, Clemson and Oregon are knocking on the door, both programs that are nowhere close to a historical "blue blood".

Get a great QB, combined with some seniors, and NFL talent and were there. We've had two great QBs in our recent history, we just had the most guys drafted over a 4 year stretch if I'm not mistaken. It's really not that hard to compete at that level, just got to get the breaks when we have a team capable to compete.

Major Harris getting hurt - bad break

Playing the worst game of the year in an important bowl game - bad break (debatable if we would've been champs anyway)

McAfee missing consecutive 20 yard FGs - bad break
Clemson is teetering on being/becoming a Blueblood. They have won a NC. They routinely recruit top 5-10 classes. They are a sleeping giant. They have all the ingredients necessary. Oregon has a couple of the ingredients; big time booster money (Nike), and top notch facilities. However, arguably the biggest/best booster in the country (Phil knight/Nike) has still been unable to bring Oregon a NC. Yet, you guys think WVU can get one? Sorry, not gonna happen.

Your point? Auburn is a blue blood.

Auburn is a blue blood. That is hilarious to me and every Alabama fan out there. Auburn won a championship with blue collars, not blue blood. Besides, 'blue blood' is merely a term for someone you think is inherently better than you.

Georgia won a national championship on the back of Herschel Walker only 36 years ago, I'm sure they're 'blue bloods' too!

Last edited:
lmao apparently you did.

This may surprise you but the definition of Blue Bloods is not what you seem to think it is, at least not in my book. But perhaps age is on my side. I can only count 10 Blue Bloods

The Big Ten has three Blue Bloods, Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan...

The Big-12 has two, Oklahoma and Texas

The SEC has three, Alabama and Georgia

The ACC has none

The Pac-12 has two, USC and UCLA

Then there is Notre Dame

Many others are close, such as Florida State, but they need more time. FSU used to be a girls schools when the above schools were earning their stripes in the trenches.

You can call any team that has won a NC in their history 'blue bloods'. But the players I follow do not recognize such imaginary acumen. They only respond to come on out on on the field and 'bring it on'. Does anyone seriously think players like Bruce Irvin and Karl Joseph give a damn about what a team did 30 years ago? They do not. Bring your freakin' 'blue bloods' out on the field and let's see who wins.

The Fiesta Bowl was all about the blue bloods against the 'old gold and blue bloods'. We can see what happened here. "Leave no doubt tonight, they should not have played the old gold and blue tonight, not this night!" The Oklahoma 'blue bloods' were embarrassed. It will happen again.

You can call any team that has won a NC in their history 'blue bloods'. But the players I follow do not recognize such imaginary acumen. They only respond to come on out on on the field and 'bring it on'. Does anyone seriously think players like Bruce Irvin and Karl Joseph give a damn about what a team did 30 years ago? They do not. Bring your freakin' 'blue bloods' out on the field and let's see who wins.

The Fiesta Bowl was all about the blue bloods against the 'old gold and blue bloods'. We can see what happened here. "Leave no doubt tonight, they should not have played the old gold and blue tonight, not this night!" The Oklahoma 'blue bloods' were embarrassed. It will happen again.

I agree, there are many yardsticks to judge this beauty competition and some are more flexible than are others. Winning a NC in the past is not always a big deal. BYU comes to mind as do many of them before they invented electricity, which is where Pitt puffs out their chest. By that standard do you regard Pitt as a Blue Blood?

to WIN a football national championship?

I say:

1. much better skill position recruiting
2. much better game day coaching
3. Big 12-2=10 to strengthen itself and stabilize which in the end will address 1 and 2 in some manner

Your thoughts?
1.Excuse 2.Excuse 3.Excuse .... "excuses are for losers"

I agree, there are many yardsticks to judge this beauty competition and some are more flexible than are others. Winning a NC in the past is not always a big deal. BYU comes to mind as do many of them before they invented electricity, which is where Pitt puffs out their chest. By that standard do you regard Pitt as a Blue Blood?

I do not believe in so called blue bloods, my friend. Good players, good coaching and a little bit of luck wins championships. Bobby Bowden was right. If Grier was eligible this year the Mountaineers would likely be a contender for the B12 as well as the playoffs. One great player surrounded by a bunch of good ones, a good game plan based upon your opponent and the right play calls. That wins games. Win them all and you're the champ. Otherwise your only in a power 5 conference for the money.

Auburn is a blue blood. That is hilarious to me and every Alabama fan out there. Auburn won a championship with blue collars, not blue blood. Besides, 'blue blood' is merely a term for someone you think is inherently better than you.

Georgia won a national championship on the back of Herschel Walker only 36 years ago, I'm sure they're 'blue bloods' too!
It's only hilarious to those who don't understand.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT