ADVERTISEMENT

What are your thoughts on the teachers strike?

Well it is actually illegal for the teachers to strike in WV...so yes it is accurate to call it an illegal strike.

How? State superintendents "called off" school, thus this isn't a "strike". Why is this hard for you to understand? These days are going to be made up.......

Reactions: countryroads89
How? State superintendents "called off" school, thus this isn't a "strike". Why is this hard for you to understand? These days are going to be made up.......
166.gif

Semantics essentially.

Yes, they called off school, but at the end of the day, it's a strike.

Ok, so we think teachers should get paid more.
But we think them striking is illegal and wrong.
They can vote out their bosses, so they shouldn’t expect to be treated like other workers.
They choose to teach for shit pay, so they should expect shit pay.
But we want better results.

Spoken like the true genius you are. Tell us more about your WVU degree.

LOL!
What do you want to know? We can exchange info about our respective college work. You good with an exchange? If so, fire away with your question and we can both respond with how each of us fared.

They can vote out their bosses, so they shouldn’t expect to be treated like other workers.
I don't think they should get paid more and I think they get paid just fine. Agree with everything else.

What do you want to know? We can exchange info about our respective college work. You good with an exchange? If so, fire away with your question and we can both respond with how each of us fared.
What history courses did you take? Humanities? Art history?

I don't think they should get paid more and I think they get paid just fine. Agree with everything else.
In any industry, I think you get better results from your workers in really one of three ways (or a combination). Paying higher wages to get and retain better workers. Increasing training and incentives to increase productivity. Or improving conditions, equipment, etc... I understand you are for the latter, and that makes sense. But I’ve seen really good teachers walk away because they just couldn’t afford the pay, and it’s a shame.

Reactions: WVUCOOPER
No, but I see the value of good schools and improving education in WV. Have said so dozens of times on here.
And I get that you believe money should go towards resources.

I personally believe pay scales should be relaxed, and raises able to be given to teachers by Principals based on the teacher’s performance and dedication....like other businesses.

I take it personal when people treat a strike like this in a manner that reflects the nation’s seemingly lack of respect for the profession.

I should know you’re smarter than that. And I agree that a strike isn’t the way to go about makin the change. But the system needs serious overhaul, imo. I understand their frustration.

We don't think it is illegal...it IS illegal
They should get a competitive compensation package to attract and retain quality teachers
They should also be judged on performance - make it easier to get rid of the bad ones
Yes we want better results - seems like a no brainer

What history courses did you take? Humanities? Art history?
Damned if I know. I fulfilled a University book requirement. I had truly no interest in who reigned in Europe on which date. I was in business with accounting major and Econ minor.

I also had Forestry 140 and Stagecraft which I enjoyed more than history. I detested Saturday 8AM listening to a gay man hold his clasped hands together over his heart and sway his hips and moan "Oh Toynbee". I was already sick and greatly hungover and fighting lack of sleep. The next semester, I had a lady who wrote everything on the board that was going to be on a test. Memorize and regurgitate was my venture into history. I also had some history of US wars in ROTC. WWII was interesting as it was something I could associate with.

Just listened to the president of the teachers union in Berkley County. The show host asked her point blank if she called the action a "strike".....she replied..."yes".

Damned if I know. I fulfilled a University book requirement. I had truly no interest in who reigned in Europe on which date. I was in business with accounting major and Econ minor.

I also had Forestry 140 and Stagecraft which I enjoyed more than history. I detested Saturday 8AM listening to a gay man hold his clasped hands together over his heart and sway his hips and moan "Oh Toynbee". I was already sick and greatly hungover and fighting lack of sleep. The next semester, I had a lady who wrote everything on the board that was going to be on a test. Memorize and regurgitate was my venture into history. I also had some history of US wars in ROTC. WWII was interesting as it was something I could associate with.
Just curious. WW2 and the American Revolution are my favorite. I’ve heard Forestry was a hard major? I was close to declaring it. I’d love to learn about US Wars in ROTC, I bet that was an interesting perspective of strategy.

Just listened to the president of the teachers union in Berkley County. The show host asked her point blank if she called the action a "strike".....she replied..."yes".

She can say all she wants, but by definition this isn't a "strike". Work will be made up, during strikes, that doesn't happen.

In any industry, I think you get better results from your workers in really one of three ways (or a combination). Paying higher wages to get and retain better workers. Increasing training and incentives to increase productivity. Or improving conditions, equipment, etc... I understand you are for the latter, and that makes sense. But I’ve seen really good teachers walk away because they just couldn’t afford the pay, and it’s a shame.

That's all carrot crap. There's a fourth. Get rid of the bad one's.

That's all carrot crap. There's a fourth. Get rid of the bad one's.
It’s a skill position, and it’s a position that requires a certain type of personality to be effective. Tossing the bad ones is fine by me, maybe you haven’t read my previous posts, but without quality replacements readily available....the quality in the classroom suffers.

My original point is that education is a complex process. I think some people tend to see it as simpler than the process actually is. To see teachers as equivalent of assembly line workers, discounts the whole process of eduction.

If you want better education, you need effective teachers, can’t just throw people in the classroom and expect good results. It’s not about quotas and the State riding their asses.

Boom has repeatedly told you guys the deal on this and you refuse to listen. That’s stupidity. This isn’t a strike. County Superintenndents have authorized the days off and the days will be made up at the end of the year. Is it a strategic legal tactic to avoid ramifications of a strike? You bet your ass. There isn’t a damn thing the legislature can do about it. They thought they were being cute and outsmarting the teachers by making strikes illegal. Well, they got their dirty tactics handed right back at them. And i’m guessing ole Mitch is on borrowed time.

Huh?

They are 48th in the country. We can and must do better.
We are 48th in the country in average wages for everyone. Teachers in WV earn slightly higher than the average WVian. I think they get paid just fine, but if enough people vote in enough politicians to give them a raise...then hooray for them. They should be back in the classrooms.

Reactions: rog1187
Boom has repeatedly told you guys the deal on this and you refuse to listen. That’s stupidity. This isn’t a strike. County Superintenndents have authorized the days off and the days will be made up at the end of the year. Is it a strategic legal tactic to avoid ramifications of a strike? You bet your ass. There isn’t a damn thing the legislature can do about it. They thought they were being cute and outsmarting the teachers by making strikes illegal. Well, they got their dirty tactics handed right back at them. And i’m guessing ole Mitch is on borrowed time.
It is a strike...it is illegal...they need to get back in the classroom.

• Total education dollars....WV spends $11,359 per pupil.....VA spends $11,237 per pupil.
  • Salaries and wages.........WV spends $6,274 per pupil.......VA spends $6,982 per pupil.
http://www.governing.com/gov-data/education-data/state-education-spending-per-pupil-data.html
That’s $700+ per pupil in salaries and wages, might not seem like much....but it is. My graduating class was 350 - that’s $6000 more a year for a staff of 40 teachers.

And total cost probably has a lot to do with rural versus city busing and building costs.

That’s $700+ per pupil in salaries and wages, might not seem like much....but it is. My graduating class was 350 - that’s $6000 more a year for a staff of 40 teachers.

And total cost probably has a lot to do with rural versus city busing and building costs.
Cost of living is probably one factor of why some are getting more per pupil.

Reactions: Boomboom521

First off, he doesn't understand that when school is cancelled, and teachers go to the picket lines, that isn't a "strike". If the doors of school were open, and the teacher's didn't show up and instead went to protest, then that would be a strike. But since these days are going to be made up during Spring Break or at the end of the year, it isn't........

Secondly, if this were coal miners these people would be saying "Hell yeah! Give 'em hell miners!".

Cost of living is probably one factor of why some are getting more per pupil.

Cost of living is what most of these teachers are protesting, indirectly. The increase yearly, along with the insurance changes, is resulting in a LOSS OF INCOME for the teachers. You look at the salaries of the teachers and that's it. What you don't look at is, they are losing money each and every year. Are others in the private sector losing money each year, too? Yeah........

Secondly, if this were coal miners these people would be saying "Hell yeah! Give 'em hell miners!".
Coal miners are privately employed with no ability to vote out their boss, but I still doubt I'd automatically have their back.

Cost of living is what most of these teachers are protesting, indirectly. The increase yearly, along with the insurance changes, is resulting in a LOSS OF INCOME for the teachers. You look at the salaries of the teachers and that's it. What you don't look at is, they are losing money each and every year. Are others in the private sector losing money each year, too? Yeah........
My understanding is that their PEIA annual premiums outpace annual raises they receive and therefore they end up with a net loss.

My understanding is that their PEIA annual premiums outpace annual raises they receive and therefore they end up with a net loss.
Yeah I believe their actual increase was somewhere around 9%.

Reactions: rog1187
Misnomer about this whole thing: Sure, better teachers are going to make students who try better. But the kid who don't care isn't impacted by a better teacher. The kid who's parents truck him/her if they do bad isn't impacted. You're only impacting the middle.

• Total education dollars....WV spends $11,359 per pupil.....VA spends $11,237 per pupil.
  • Salaries and wages.........WV spends $6,274 per pupil.......VA spends $6,982 per pupil.
http://www.governing.com/gov-data/education-data/state-education-spending-per-pupil-data.html

And VA's population of 5-19 year olds is 1,581,000.
WV's population of 5-19 year olds is 439,000 (based on 2010 census).

You're comparing apples to oranges. Of course with more students, efficiencies are to be gained.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT