ADVERTISEMENT

What are your thoughts on the teachers strike?

NCLB was horribly destructive to curriculum
NCLB original intent was only to point out deficiencies in the education. Everybody complained that the US was getting behind, but there were no absolute solutions. GWB and Ted Kennedy got together and came up with the program to locate deficiencies. Originally only tested language arts and math. Deficiencies were located at particular schools and races. The states were given opportunity to plan their own tests and design the degree of difficulty. This was specifically established to discourage being used as a comparative. That didn't last long as scores were published and less informed souls began to compare without the degree of difficulty assigned to individual states. Then it got a bit complicated as individual schoolboards wanted tests that satisfied personal wants. What was finally developed was not popular in many settings.

Teacher evaluations became determined by test scores. Teachers began teaching to the test so as not get their ass in hot water from a poorly preforming class inherited from prior year. Got to the point that outsiders wanted to let test grades determine pay scale. The demise of NCLB was predictable. Keep in mind these tests were in addition to state and local testing requirements. Testing was replacing about a month of instruction time.

Reactions: Boomboom521
The UMWA decided to join the "non striking" teachers. :flush:
That is just the opposite of the strike in the 90s. UMWA members stopped and told us they would join teachers. They were asked to not join because of long term turmoil that would have been created.

If you know, what percent walked out or conversely how many refused to walk out?

NCLB original intent was only to point out deficiencies in the education. Everybody complained that the US was getting behind, but there were no absolute solutions. GWB and Ted Kennedy got together and came up with the program to locate deficiencies. Originally only tested language arts and math. Deficiencies were located at particular schools and races. The states were given opportunity to plan their own tests and design the degree of difficulty. This was specifically established to discourage being used as a comparative. That didn't last long as scores were published and less informed souls began to compare without the degree of difficulty assigned to individual states. Then it got a bit complicated as individual schoolboards wanted tests that satisfied personal wants. What was finally developed was not popular in many settings.

Teacher evaluations became determined by test scores. Teachers began teaching to the test so as not get their ass in hot water from a poorly preforming class inherited from prior year. Got to the point that outsiders wanted to let test grades determine pay scale. The demise of NCLB was predictable. Keep in mind these tests were in addition to state and local testing requirements. Testing was replacing about a month of instruction time.

Bush's problem is you cannot compare apples to oranges. Meaning, you cannot compare the US education system with that of the Japanese or Chinese systems, or many other nations. We educate EVERYONE.......and test them as well (as long as they are not on an "alternative diploma" program; reserved for your severely disabled). These other nations do not test everyone. Before their kids reach high school age, they have been selected by their abilities........and not everyone takes their "test".

The funding aspect had large teaching impacts throughout the nation. In FLA we began to see “dropout factories” where administrators and teachers were literally trying to get certain students to drop out. Suspensions increased, and any legitimate grounds for expulsion were met with eagerness. If schools could somehow eliminate the poor testers that were dragging down the school scores as a whole, funding would increase.

Bush's problem is you cannot compare apples to oranges. Meaning, you cannot compare the US education system with that of the Japanese or Chinese systems, or many other nations. We educate EVERYONE.......and test them as well (as long as they are not on an "alternative diploma" program; reserved for your severely disabled). These other nations do not test everyone. Before their kids reach high school age, they have been selected by their abilities........and not everyone takes their "test".
Even testing isn’t an accurate way to evaluate student achievement alone. Some students seriously do not test well. I knew kids when I was in school that blanked during tests due to nerves. It should be a part of a comprehensive evaluation of students. Teachers need to be trusted to a degree. But Proncipals should have the right to remove teachers not committing to the job. And Principals should be held accountable for a schools failures.

Even testing isn’t an accurate way to evaluate student achievement alone. Some students seriously do not test well. I knew kids when I was in school that blanked during tests due to nerves. It should be a part of a comprehensive evaluation of students. Teachers need to be trusted to a degree. But Proncipals should have the right to remove teachers not committing to the job. And Principals should be held accountable for a schools failures.
You should try to get a meeting to replace DeVos. Your ideas and perspectives have changed my opinion on several issues I previously didn’t have strong convictions for.

That is sorta true, but the real purpose was to find out where deficiencies were within our system. GWB and Ted were well aware of difference in testing between countries. They were OK with that. The problem was the decline within the US.

We finally realized that these tests became less meaningless as some of the students simply did not try. There were no personal consequences attached since reports reflected totals within a particular group. Individual identity was protected in total.

We finally realized that these tests became less meaningless as some of the students simply did not try. There were no personal consequences attached since reports reflected totals within a particular group. Individual identity was protected in total.

Spoken like the true genius you are. Tell us more about your WVU degree.

LOL!

I hope the State holds out against these educational terrorists that are using are children like human shields. Let them rot on the line.

Reactions: WVUCOOPER
I hope the State holds out against these educational terrorists that are using are children like human shields. Let them rot on the line.
Are all workers that strike terrorists? Would you have the same view of miners on the line?

You realize the average pay of a manager at McDonalds in $46,500 and the average teacher salary in WV is $45,000?

Men and women tasked with educating our children are paid less than men and women tasked with overseeing fast food restaurants.

Are all workers that strike terrorists? Would you have the same view of miners on the line?

You realize the average pay of a manager at McDonalds in $46,500 and the average teacher salary in WV is $45,000?

Men and women tasked with educating our children are paid less than men and women tasked with overseeing fast food restaurants.
Go work at McDonalds then. I thought you all did it for the passion, and now you’re bringing up money. Simple solution, do some upfront analysis on prospective career field salaries. Pick the one that suits you. It’s not a secret that teachers make dick. Don’t like it? Don’t choose the field. Simple.

I love to teach, have been an instructor at every phase of my career. I’m an engaging and electric presenter I’ve been told. I didn’t become a history teacher because I knew the money was horrendous and the idea of wearing those horrible short sleeve button ups, shitty dockers, and hush puppies (The Walter White uniform) every day to work sounded about as appealing as sucking a dick. That’s why I respect the profession. People are willing to work for peanuts to sculpt minds. It’s noble. It pays shit. But it’s noble.

Go work at McDonalds then. I thought you all did it for the passion, and now you’re bringing up money. Simple solution, do some upfront analysis on prospective career field salaries. Pick the one that suits you. It’s not a secret that teachers make dick. Don’t like it? Don’t choose the field. Simple.

I love to teach, have been an instructor at every phase of my career. I’m an engaging and electric presenter I’ve been told. I didn’t become a history teacher because I knew the money was horrendous and the idea of wearing those horrible short sleeve button ups, shitty dockers, and hush puppies (The Walter White uniform) every day to work sounded about as appealing as sucking a dick. That’s why I respect the profession. People are willing to work for peanuts to sculpt minds. It’s noble. It pays shit. But it’s noble.
The money didn’t deter me. But it deters men and women that would be better at it than me. I’m just saying, not all paid Government positions pay so low. I think with police and teachers, we should want the best. You do, that’s why you pay a fvckload more each year for private school, isn’t it?

The money didn’t deter me. But it deters men and women that would be better at it than me. I’m just saying, not all paid Government positions pay so low. I think with police and teachers, we should want the best. You do, that’s why you pay a fvckload more each year for private school, isn’t it?

Don't take this the wrong way, but you discussed principals getting the power to get rid of the "bad teachers". I've went back and looked, you log in a lot of time on here during what would be "school hours"..........

Don't take this the wrong way, but you discussed principals getting the power to get rid of the "bad teachers". I've went back and looked, you log in a lot of time on here during what would be "school hours"..........
I don’t teach right now. I’m a bored stay at home dad, one kid in kindergarten and a 2 yr old. I get on here to get adult discussion between learning ABC’s and 123’s and colors. Sadly, between teaching my child, playing hide and seek, and reading the news....this board is the only thing keeping me sane sometimes.

Thanks for checking into my log on history, and questioning my worth as a human being though. My youngest daughter is starting to play with barbies now, so I might be on here even more.

Reactions: roadtrasheer
I don’t teach right now. I’m a bored stay at home dad, one kid in kindergarten and a 2 yr old. I get on here to get adult discussion between learning ABC’s and 123’s and colors. Sadly, between teaching my child, playing hide and seek, and reading the news....this board is the only thing keeping me sane sometimes.

Thanks for checking into my log on history, and questioning my worth as a human being though. My youngest daughter is starting to play with barbies now, so I might be on here even more.

Well you didn't have a problem throwing other teacher's under the bus and promote yourself as superior.......again, I said "don't take this the wrong way", and you did.

Well you didn't have a problem throwing other teacher's under the bus and promote yourself as superior.......again, I said "don't take this the wrong way", and you did.
How did I promote myself as superior?
How did throw other teachers under the bus?

Some don’t care in the classroom, I’ve seen it often. You haven’t?

I don’t think it’s throwing them under the bus to promote that Principals should have the ability to rid a school of those that aren’t taking it as seriously as they should.

Reactions: roadtrasheer
Sure. What “way” were you meaning that exactly?

Well, they way you have said that you were a teacher I took that to mean you were currently.......and you were discussing "bad teachers not caring", and I wanted to make the point that people shouldn't judge others especially if they aren't perfect either. What I learn from my daughter's teachers in the past is that each one has their own distinct ways of teaching. My daughter loved her history teacher. She said his methods were great for her, individually. But that other students and parents complained. He'd lecture one day on a topic, show an educational video, have kids do a group assignment, individual assignment, etc. etc. He went slow, never worried about "finishing the book".......but if some would walk in and see him showing a video, they'd label him "lazy" and "not caring"........

My daughter is in 2nd year c.c & thinking of becoming a English teacher ...lol probably because of my slaughter of the English language. ..i told her its job of passion not pay , but success is not measured in money it's measured in happiness ...unless happiness is a bunch of cool shit ...

Well, they way you have said that you were a teacher I took that to mean you were currently.......and you were discussing "bad teachers not caring", and I wanted to make the point that people shouldn't judge others especially if they aren't perfect either. What I learn from my daughter's teachers in the past is that each one has their own distinct ways of teaching. My daughter loved her history teacher. She said his methods were great for her, individually. But that other students and parents complained. He'd lecture one day on a topic, show an educational video, have kids do a group assignment, individual assignment, etc. etc. He went slow, never worried about "finishing the book".......but if some would walk in and see him showing a video, they'd label him "lazy" and "not caring"........

Stop embarrassing yourself you lunatic.

I wouldn’t. That speaks to my point. Teachers, more and more are pushed to hit bench marks, teach for tests, adhere to a structured approach in the classroom....mostly because people not in the classroom think they can do it better. They can’t. Knowing the classroom is one of the most important elements of being a good educator, imo. You have to know your students and what they respond to. It isn’t only the amount of material a teacher gets through, it’s also how they get students to respond to the subject.

I think a teacher like your daughter described is doing it right probably. I think he should be protected by a Principal that has the power to protect him. I have witnessed teachers that honestly don’t care how students respond, what they learn, or what their Principal says. I imagine this usually only happens in areas of dire need where I have taught. But I could be wrong. I try to learn from other teachers as often as I can, the ones that care can teach me a lot.....I bet your daughters fav could teach me some things too.

That's not the average pay of a McDonald's manager in West Virginia. And fast food managers work horrendous schedules. 85-95 hours a week (no summers off). All that said, I'm fine with teachers asking for a pay raise, but don't walk out over it. Vote in November. Public employees can actually fire their bosses. Get back to class.

That's not the average pay of a McDonald's manager in West Virginia. And fast food managers work horrendous schedules. 85-95 hours a week (no summers off). All that said, I'm fine with teachers asking for a pay raise, but don't walk out over it. Vote in November. Public employees can actually fire their bosses. Get back to class.
Good points. I was aiming for dramatic effect, it failed.

Yes if they are causing harm to others.

It's about whether teacher compensation should be better - it's the method they are choosing to employ that I don't care for and won't support.

Yes if they are causing harm to others.

It's about whether teacher compensation should be better - it's the method they are choosing to employ that I don't care for and won't support.
I haven’t heard anything like that, could you link me to some stories?

Or are we just talking about shutting down the schools?

I haven’t heard anything like that, could you link me to some stories?

Or are we just talking about shutting down the schools?
They're harming the educational process of the children. They're financially harming everyone that is scrambling to find childcare or taking work off because of the unplanned nature of their illegal strike.

They're harming the educational process of the children. They're financially harming everyone that is scrambling to find childcare or taking work off because of the unplanned nature of their illegal strike.
Good points. Stick with those though, you lose me when you call it “illegal”....aren’t all strikes to some degree? Call them out for their differences in impact, but don’t treat them like they don’t have the same rights as other workers.

Good points. Stick with those though, you lose me when you call it “illegal”....aren’t all strikes to some degree? Call them out for their differences in impact, but don’t treat them like they don’t have the same rights as other workers.
Well it is actually illegal for the teachers to strike in WV...so yes it is accurate to call it an illegal strike.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT