ADVERTISEMENT

What are your thoughts on the teachers strike?

I see a lot of well fed women protesting on the side of the road.

I see a jackass governor who has never missed a meal. Come to think of it, looks like he has been eating for four.

JusticeFairmont14_0.jpg

I think teachers need to make more ...if I understand the reason behind it correctly, cost of insurance is eating all the pay raise , then they can only blame Obama & government funded & mandated insurance, someone has to pay for it & it will be the middle class .
I'm union & on our contracts I haven't received a raise on my check for more than .10 in about 5 years our raises all go to medical.....

I’m always on the side of teachers, but it’s not like the state has excess funds laying around

I think teachers need to make more ...if I understand the reason behind it correctly, cost of insurance is eating all the pay raise , then they can only blame Obama & government funded & mandated insurance, someone has to pay for it & it will be the middle class .
I'm union & on our contracts I haven't received a raise on my check for more than .10 in about 5 years our raises all go to medical.....
I ama not pro-union. I am not really against it. I think they have helped and hurt workers at different times. I dont now where the teachers think this money will come from? Any cuts made to pay for their raise will hurt someone else who also needs the money.

I ama not pro-union. I am not really against it. I think they have helped and hurt workers at different times. I dont now where the teachers think this money will come from? Any cuts made to pay for their raise will hurt someone else who also needs the money.
Unions are a necessary evil to combat greed created by capitalism ...capitalism is the best system in the world so I'm not knocking it

Reactions: Hogan's Hero
Unions are a necessary evil to combat greed created by capitalism ...capitalism is the best system in the world so I'm not knocking it
I agree. Problem is always greed. Sometines union greed effs it up too. I see both sides of it because I consult contractors and laborers.

Reactions: roadtrasheer
I agree. Problem is always greed. Sometines union greed effs it up too. I see both sides of it because I consult contractors and laborers.
I have 21 years in 26 vested ..i view unions as greese for the ass raping we are gonna get ...as a construction worker we are guaranteed a pounding just being union we get KY to help out

A lot of these same morons protesting are the same ones bitching when cuts are being proposed for things like the arts.

It's a perfect example of what happens when we become too dependent on government aka the tax payer. I'm all for raising teachers wages as long as test scores improve and it's done responsibly within a budget. Everytime cuts are proposed, even to those not to education there is always a fuss.

Reactions: WVU82
I would say they are underpaid compared to neighboring states. I know of several teachers here in the EP that teach in VA because the pay is much better. On the other hand....do they deserve better pay based on how WV school kids do on test scores.
https://www.usnews.com/education/best-high-schools/articles/how-states-compare
They need to get back in the ****ing classroom. I think they should be paid more but I want ****ing results when that happens or else they get the boot. They’ll tell you they’re for kids because they’re getting food together for those that are missing school meals...those kids are missing meals because you ****ing walked out ****tards.

The state becane so reluant on coal severence tax to buttress the budget that when coal hit the skids the state almost went belly up.

Now the teachers want their pay raise funded by a natural gas severence tax. Its like they (teachers) didn't learn.

If they want to raise severence taxes they should put all of it in the raiiny day fund.

The state becane so reluant on coal severence tax to buttress the budget that when coal hit the skids the state almost went belly up.

Now the teachers want their pay raise funded by a natural gas severence tax. Its like they (teachers) didn't learn.

If they want to raise severence taxes they should put all of it in the raiiny day fund.

Which the legislature just raided.

What could it be then? We aren’t stupid. You say it’s not teacher salaries. What is it then?
There are a lot of factors. I dont think we are stupid. I imagine in border counties good teacher who like money cross the border for more money but I think if you look at the best schools in the state and where they are located it is clear that areas with larger schools and generally more wealthy areas like Putnam, Kanawha, Wood, Mon, Harrison, Jefferson counties have better schools. I think impoverished areas have worse schools because the areas with better schools have more support via tax levies, extra curricular and just a lot more resources to support teachers and students.

There are a lot of factors. I dont think we are stupid. I imagine in border counties good teacher who like money cross the border for more money but I think if you look at the best schools in the state and where they are located it is clear that areas with larger schools and generally more wealthy areas like Putnam, Kanawha, Wood, Mon, Harrison, Jefferson counties have better schools. I think impoverished areas have worse schools because the areas with better schools have more support via tax levies, extra curricular and just a lot more resources to support teachers and students.

I’m in total agreement with you. This reasoning extends beyond WV schools. It applies across the country.

I know of one instance where someone whose job was to help teachers with creating lessons plans was incorporating things like lesson guidelines about anti-hate speech. That's one example of a reason why our kids can't do simple math.

I know of one instance where someone whose job was to help teachers with creating lessons plans was incorporating things like lesson guidelines about anti-hate speech. That's one example of a reason why our kids can't do simple math.
People have always been bad at math. It used to bother me until I realized that I could make a good living because of it.

Reactions: wvu2007
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT