ADVERTISEMENT

GAME THREAD West Virginia football at No. 7 Penn State

When you go from from one year not going for it on 4th and inches to running a truck play with your backup QB on 4th and 2 while you have a beast in the backfield and a good OL…..you should be questioned.
I will never understand that failure to go for it on 4th down against Pitt last year. It, IMO, set the tone for the whole season.

When we have attacked their interior we have had good yards with Donaldson. But who knows why he feels need to run wide or pass the ball when we have something going on the ground.
The only good thing we have done tonight is run up the middle. We went away from that after PSU went up 14-7. I get the 2 minute offense before half, but we have tried playing hero ball with GG ever since that moment and I don’t get it. Not even suggesting there is an obvious path to victory here, just saying we went away from our strength and gave ourselves no shot.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
I will never understand that failure to go for it on 4th down against Pitt last year. It, IMO, set the tone for the whole season.
The Brown era in a nutshell. It’s like we gave the keys to a machine that has always ran on blue collar grit and 1-3 diamonds in the rough to stay above water and turned it over to a fantasy football nerd or something. Trying to play moneyball in a sport that doesn’t have a salary cap.

I think if NCAA wanted to, they’d find several PSU coaches and players violated gambling rules. Just saying. The last TD. Yep.

we-suck-again-oh-no.gif

The only good thing we have done tonight is run up the middle. We went away from that after PSU went up 14-7. I get the 2 minute offense before half, but we have tried playing hero ball with GG ever since that moment and I don’t get it. Not even suggesting there is an obvious path to victory here, just saying we went away from our strength and gave ourselves no shot.
For the 48th consecutive game, everybody is left wondering what the hell our game plan on offense was.

2nd stringers also want to play. Especially in the world of instant transfers, you take away their game reps, then kiss their ass goodbye.
Yeah, but inside of the 40 second clock, they take a knee. I'm sure it had nothing to do with the point spread.

2nd string in. Make a stop.
It's just like basketball, unless it is a walkon, you aren't taking a shot when the shot clock is off. I fully believe that if PSU was already on the plus side of the spread, he would have taken a knee. He knows some of his big time donors had money on the game.

Yeah, but inside of the 40 second clock, they take a knee. I'm sure it had nothing to do with the point spread.
Don't make stupid penalties and they would not have been in range for a QB draw with no blocking. You're complaining like you lost money voting on spread.

Don't call timeouts like you had a shot to win.

It's just like basketball, unless it is a walkon, you aren't taking a shot when the shot clock is off. I fully believe that if PSU was already on the plus side of the spread, he would have taken a knee. He knows some of his big time donors had money on the game.
Damn you're right. What a genius. Thanks.

Don't make stupid penalties and they would not have been in range for a QB draw with no blocking. You're complaining like you lost money voting on spread.

Don't call timeouts like you had a shot to win.
We called timeouts with around 3 minutes to go......and was only down 2 scores.........

You do realize that we are out rushing PSU this far.

Why rush when they can pass on us at will? That is irrelevant in any event as our offensive line and running backs are the supposed strengths of the team. If those strengths can only get 111 yards in 3 quarters against a team that does not have a great D-line, then the strongest part of the team is still relatively weak.

Why rush when they can pass on us at will? That is irrelevant in any event as our offensive line and running backs are the supposed strengths of the team. If those strengths can only get 111 yards in 3 quarters against a team that does not have a great D-line, then the strongest part of the team is still relatively weak.
Are you serious? You should probably listen to and read what everyone else who has a bit more knowledge about talent says.

Are you serious? You should probably listen to and read what everyone else who has a bit more knowledge about talent says.

You are only as good as your results. Talent or no, PSU is not UGA and 111 yards in 3 quarters against the Nittany lions is not a good performance. Maybe it is a bad game. Maybe the talent is great, but the coaching is garbage. However, last year we heard great things about the O line then and still didn't see great on the field results all season long. This start should be concerning we are in for a repeat of last year than the line and running game living up to the hype.

Reactions: deedoubleyou
You are only as good as your results. Talent or no, PSU is not UGA and 111 yards in 3 quarters against the Nittany lions is not a good performance. Maybe it is a bad game. Maybe the talent is great, but the coaching is garbage. However, last year we heard great things about the O line then and still didn't see great on the field results all season long. This start should be concerning we are in for a repeat of last year than the line and running game living up to the hype.
They said the OL is the strength of the team last year and kept saying it and saying it, despite the fact that it was obviously not true. The OL got pushed around last year. It seemed like if there were a strength last year it would be the RBs, to the eye test. I do think its a better OL than weve seen under Neal but its not enough to compensate for his bad coaching. WVU got spanked and it got worse as the game went on. PSU missed 2 fg's and dropped at least one TD in the first half and tried to keep WVU in it, but we were unable to take advantage of their mistakes. We came out in the second half and got dominated. Neal Brown is the worst coach WVU has ever had.

They are the 7th ranked team in the country. They have more 5 star players on defense than we have had in 50 years. You are basically saying PSU isn't any good and we should have ran it down their throats. That's not very rational.

They are the 7th ranked team in the country. They have more 5 star players on defense than we have had in 50 years. You are basically saying PSU isn't any good and we should have ran it down their throats. That's not very rational.
300 yards would be running it down their throats. 111 before the game was in gabage time is NOT what a good OL and RB squad does unless they hit an elite front 7 like UGA from the last few years.

It is a fact that last year the OL was hyped up and failed to live up to that hype. So with that and hyping them up MORE this season, you'd hope for a good showing out of the gate and this was in no way a good showing. The recent WVU track record should make one concerned that the hype is just hype more so than assume this was one bad outing.

Lastly see WVU vs VT in 2005 to see how a good OL and running back perform against a good team in a loss. Then compare that to last night and you're either lying or insane to say they are similar.

300 yards would be running it down their throats. 111 before the game was in gabage time is NOT what a good OL and RB squad does unless they hit an elite front 7 like UGA from the last few years.

It is a fact that last year the OL was hyped up and failed to live up to that hype. So with that and hyping them up MORE this season, you'd hope for a good showing out of the gate and this was in no way a good showing. The recent WVU track record should make one concerned that the hype is just hype more so than assume this was one bad outing.

Lastly see WVU vs VT in 2005 to see how a good OL and running back perform against a good team in a loss. Then compare that to last night and you're either lying or insane to say they are similar.
How many yards after 3 quarters would you have considered to be "good enough" for you rushing the ball? If you look at NCAA statistics, if a team is between 120-150 yards in 3 quarters, that's pretty f**king good. Do you realize that only 25 teams last year averaged 200+ yards rushing per game? And if you do some calculations, we were on pace for 150-160 yards rushing against a very good PSU defensive front and LB's. That's above average. And if you thought we should have had "more yards" than the 111 rushing that we had at your point in which you said the game was "garbage time", then you would have expected us to rush for more than 200 yards for the game. That's not rational. Sorry.

We finished with 146 yards rushing, and that is factoring in the absolutely worst play call I've seen in 20+ years when we tried the trick place and Nico lost 11 yards. So really, we were at 157 yards. Greene had 71 yards and 4.7 average. Donaldson had 81 yards and 4.5 average. That's pretty damn good against that defense.

How many yards after 3 quarters would you have considered to be "good enough" for you rushing the ball? If you look at NCAA statistics, if a team is between 120-150 yards in 3 quarters, that's pretty f**king good. Do you realize that only 25 teams last year averaged 200+ yards rushing per game? And if you do some calculations, we were on pace for 150-160 yards rushing against a very good PSU defensive front and LB's. That's above average. And if you thought we should have had "more yards" than the 111 rushing that we had at your point in which you said the game was "garbage time", then you would have expected us to rush for more than 200 yards for the game. That's not rational. Sorry.

We finished with 146 yards rushing, and that is factoring in the absolutely worst play call I've seen in 20+ years when we tried the trick place and Nico lost 11 yards. So really, we were at 157 yards. Greene had 71 yards and 4.7 average. Donaldson had 81 yards and 4.5 average. That's pretty damn good against that defense.

If the coaching staff and media hype is that WVU's rushing attack behind a great OL is our best chance for success, then 111 yards most certainly is not enough. I'm not the one who made the gameplan and hype for the team all around rushing prowess. They set that expectation. You and I have different definitions of good if getting beat by more than 3 scores and only scoring 1 TD when it mattered is "pretty good".

We do not have a great OL. Just because you have some returning starters at a position doesn’t mean that position is great. What we have an experienced OL, not a great one. It is the strength of the team, but this isn’t a good team (picked to finish last in B12). So that OL is like being the prom queen at the welding school.

If the coaching staff and media hype is that WVU's rushing attack behind a great OL is our best chance for success, then 111 yards most certainly is not enough. I'm not the one who made the gameplan and hype for the team all around rushing prowess. They set that expectation. You and I have different definitions of good if getting beat by more than 3 scores and only scoring 1 TD when it mattered is "pretty good".
I don't, you do. I'm going to say it again, against a defense like PSU we rushed for 157 yards (not counting that stupid -11 yard trick play)..... a team that gave up only 110 yards per game last year on the ground.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Nobody said PSU was bad. They also started a QB who was making his debut. We’re saying they weren’t that special. They will lose 2-3 games

Last edited:
I don't, you do. I'm going to say it again, against a defense like PSU we rushed for 157 yards (not counting that stupid -11 yard trick play)..... a team that gave up only 110 yards per game last year on the ground.

So you are saying WVU played well on the offensive line and rushing the ball since PSU is so good. I don't think it was all that good and did not live up to the preseason hype. I am not calling it utter dog shit, just not impressive. We can agree to disagree here, but this is not the point I am trying to make.

The point I am trying to make is that more importantly the rushing results on the field were certainly not enough to overcome the defense and pass game deficiencies. The rushing results were also certainly not good enough to instill hope that WVU doesn't struggle to find 6 wins again this season. And that is the biggest take away from this game. And that is the reason why 111 yards in 3 quarters is not good enough.

Last edited:
I read on a PSU board that James Franklin stated he wanted to beat the spread. True or not I don't know. But shows the lack of respect he and PSU have for the state of West Virginia.

Do you think Ja'Juan Seider should be upset over it?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT