ADVERTISEMENT

GAME THREAD West Virginia basketball at Texas Tech

Very experienced team with 6 seniors and 4 juniors. With 5 of those 6 being 5th year transfers.

Experience is tough to beat at their place.

Any win on the road in Big 12 is a good road win. Need to at least finish Big 12 at 7-11 or 8-10 to have any shot at being in the NCAA.
I agree and I really hope we don’t drop 3 straight.

Any win on the road in Big 12 is a good road win. Need to at least finish Big 12 at 7-11 or 8-10 to have any shot at being in the NCAA.
8-10 is my prediction. Finish 7-11 would get us in ONLY if we had road wins against two of these three (KU, TT, Baylor).

8-10 is my prediction. Finish 7-11 would get us in ONLY if we had road wins against two of these three (KU, TT, Baylor).
Or 2 Big 12 Tourney wins. Also depends on if there are upsets in other conference tournaments.

Or 2 Big 12 Tourney wins. Also depends on if there are upsets in other conference tournaments.
True. I do think that 8-10 gets us a 8/9 seed, and a win against Arkansas gets us a 7 seed. Anything less than that and we will be sweating it out on selection Sunday.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
True. I do think that 8-10 gets us a 8/9 seed, and a win against Arkansas gets us a 7 seed. Anything less than that and we will be sweating it out on selection Sunday.
This new thinking is bullshit. If you cant win half your conference games etc...should be watching in March. Participation trophy generation crap.

This new thinking is bullshit. If you cant win half your conference games etc...should be watching in March. Participation trophy generation crap.
68 teams you're going to have teams with sub .500 records. 8-10 makes 20-11 or 19-12 depending on Arkansas game. They should go back to 32 but ESPN will never allow that.

Reactions: Rootmaster
The wheels are falling off this wagon.
Time start focusing on recruiting offensive-first players. You need more than one player who you can count on to score on his own. Give me a shoot-first, range is anywhere past halfcourt, not aggressive on defense player over the scrappy, hard-nosed, blue-collar grinder (a euphemism for "not a lot of basketball skill").

Three Shermans and two Paulicaps in a lineup will run circles around two Paulicaps and three guards who will run through a wall, lay out like Pete Rose, but dribble on their foot and put holes through the backboard on their layups.

Reactions: SKYHAWKBALL
First, our bigs are weak. Not only in skill, but physically. In fact, the whole team is weak physically. Other teams are just bigger and stronger. Our guys look like string beans out there and it shows down low when you need rebounds. They have position but just get out played for the ball. Strength staff needs to fix things or get overhauled. Some squats, deadlifts, and bench presses will do this team some wonders.

Second, we HAVE to stop throwing the ball to people who can't score. We can't score in close because of the stated weakness. They're all afraid of getting it swatted so you get pump fakes that fool no one, rushed shots, etc. Can anybody DUNK? Go up with some authority instead of finesse?

Third, and this one has to fall on Huggins. Why he thought Culver was better than Oscar I don't know. This team would be world's different with Oscar on the floor and Culver coming off the bench. Last year and this year. Yes, I know they're both gone and some of the reasons why. But, that presence in the paint and on the boards that Oscar brought is sorely missed.

I know we’ve lost 3 straight to ranked teams. Think about next year. Who in the hell will be our starters?

Reactions: Euell
spartansstink hit the nail on the head with his evaulation. However, it could be edited down to just four words:

We need better players.

When your 4 bigs play consecutive games and combine for a grand total of 16 points, you have problems and they are great.

Reactions: Euell
First, our bigs are weak. Not only in skill, but physically. In fact, the whole team is weak physically. Other teams are just bigger and stronger. Our guys look like string beans out there and it shows down low when you need rebounds. They have position but just get out played for the ball. Strength staff needs to fix things or get overhauled. Some squats, deadlifts, and bench presses will do this team some wonders.

Second, we HAVE to stop throwing the ball to people who can't score. We can't score in close because of the stated weakness. They're all afraid of getting it swatted so you get pump fakes that fool no one, rushed shots, etc. Can anybody DUNK? Go up with some authority instead of finesse?

Third, and this one has to fall on Huggins. Why he thought Culver was better than Oscar I don't know. This team would be world's different with Oscar on the floor and Culver coming off the bench. Last year and this year. Yes, I know they're both gone and some of the reasons why. But, that presence in the paint and on the boards that Oscar brought is sorely missed.
Oscar was lazy and wouldn’t put in the work and a supposed All-American. He didn’t have what it takes to be a Mountaineer.

His team lost today, too. Never mind that he had 16 and 14 and is universally regarded as the best transfer player in the country. Just keep reminding yourself that he was lazy. He was lazy. He was lazy. He have the drive. He was a supposed All-American. All hype. All lazy.

Reactions: SKYHAWKBALL
Can Huggins bring back someone that can teach the players how to attack the rim? Joe Alexander is the best player we’ve seen do it here at WVU and I believe he’s available. Hire him as an assistant or offensive consultant or something.

No offensive skills.
Simply put, we have way too few basketball players on this team.

Let's say WVU is a 9 out of 10 on the tenacious scale. Other teams are still 7s and 8s. The difference is those teams are also 7s and 8s on offense were WVU is at 3.

For as hard as WVU players used to play (I see a lot of wide open shots from opponents this year), it's all negated with their lack of offensive skill.

As I watch other teams, I notice quick, sharp passes... somtimes 3 or 4 quick passes without a dribble - then an open shot.
I also notice each game that our opponents have 2 or 3 times as many assists as we do. (We had 6 assists today against TT.) So I looked it up and WVU is #309 out of 358 Div-1 teams in assists/game. That tells me a lot.
-Winter Tim

#1: Would we be worse if we started Johnson, McNeil, Sherman, Curry, and Cottrell (he's not a post)?
#2: To piggyback off of the first point, why do we run plays that even involve the post players? Because either 1) they can't catch the pass or 2) they try to dribble or 3) they miss a layup.
#3: McNeil has been reluctant to pull the trigger the past few games. He's had some looks off passes where he decided to pump fake and mostly pass it off.
#4: We have to change our recruiting. Defense is very important, but scoring is how you win games. We must find POST PLAYERS that can score. Culver could, but he also got a lot of points from offensive rebounding. Our posts cannot rebound, so that's not even possible.
#5: Gabe plays hard, and I respect that, but when the ball is in his hands, I feel like it's a 67% of being bad.

Reactions: locustwv
Oscar couldn't cut it at this level. If he could, Huggins would have kept him. Huggins doesn't make mistakes.
Oscar left and quit on his own stabbing his teammates in the back. Guarantee Kentucky had outside sources in Oscar's ear.

Year 2 oscar was so lazy and fat he had to take breaks to suck down some fries.

Reactions: Rootmaster
Keep telling yourself that the lazy guy had 16 points today. Our 4 bigs have combined for 16 points in the last 2 games.
Dumbass. He actually practiced for Kentucky.

He sucked balls here year 2, was lazy as hell and wanted to hang around the perimeter taking shots he can't make.

Year 1 he was playing post scoring and rebounding. What's he doing at Kentucky? Playing post rebounding and scoring. So take your Oscar fandom and shove it.

30 fouls. Four fouled out.
WVU among the top 20% in foul avoidance in the nation, and had seen only Gabe Osabuohien (twice) foul out of a contest. Saturday’s officiating crew doubled both of those numbers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT