ADVERTISEMENT

GAME THREAD West Virginia basketball at Oklahoma

It doesnt seem like as close of a game as it is. We have to eventually win a big 12 game, right? No reason it cant be this one. Except we suck at shooting and moving and getting open in general.

It doesnt seem like as close of a game as it is. We have to eventually win a big 12 game, right? No reason it cant be this one. Except we suck at shooting and moving and getting open in general.
We attempt far to many poor shots. No space and rushed.. I would keep Stevenson on the bench longer as he's putting up the most poor shots. I know if your a shooter you keep shooting but this has been 4 games now where he has absolutely sucked. Let him sit and watch awhile. Bell Should not even start.

Now 5-22 in last 27 against Big 12 opponents. We’re the ugly red-headed stepchild of this league.

finding new ways to lose every time out.
No, pretty consistently we can point directly to missing free throws being the difference. For years that has been the case. We will hear about the 100 free throws each practice though, because it’s such proven recipe for results

Watching and listening to Huggins is depressing at this point. He looks like shit and sounds miserable every time he talks. Don't have a feeling he will be able to fix it this time. He looks like a mean old troll half the time nowadays. I don't know what should happen but 0-5 in the B12 is unacceptable.

WVU shot 10 more shots than OU and made 6 more than OU. WVU shot 57%

Outscored by OU 18 to 8 from the foul line. WVU 8-16 and OU 18-25

OU didn't make a FG in final 6 minutes and 14 seconds but was 11 of 13 from foul line. WVU was 5 of 10 from foul line and 5 of 7 fg in final 6:14.

Stevenson should be benched to 3rd string. He's a selfish player and can't hit the broad side of barn if he was 2 feet away.

Reactions: locustwv
Watching and listening to Huggins is depressing at this point. He looks like shit and sounds miserable every time he talks. Don't have a feeling he will be able to fix it this time. He looks like a mean old troll half the time nowadays. I don't know what should happen but 0-5 in the B12 is unacceptable.
As hard as I have fought for him and saying it's his to step down from but it would not surprise me to see him step aside at the end of season.

Stevenson with another stellar game when we needed him the most. He's turned in to Sean McNeil. Sadly.

Now don't over react...CFE will post soon and tell us that his nine strangers are coming together and we will win a natty this year!
Hey Rootmaster - It is pathetic how obsessed you are with CFE. At least his glass is always half full. Yours is always hald empty and you would rather piss in it than look for a solution.

Stevenson with another stellar game when we needed him the most. He's turned in to Sean McNeil. Sadly.
He's turned into a selfish player and should be benched. We played well when he wasn't in the game because we went to Mitchell and Toussaint then.

The way he's playing in Big 12 makes it seem like he's taking money to throw games.

The way he's playing in Big 12 makes it seem like he's taking money to throw games.
Or...........he's a player against lesser opponents who has the skill level to look like a very good player, but against highly skilled teams, his abilities are shown for their true colors?

Or...........he's a player against lesser opponents who has the skill level to look like a very good player, but against highly skilled teams, his abilities are shown for their true colors?
Oklahoma is not a highly skilled team.
OSU is not a highly skilled team
KSU is a good team but beatable.
Baylor is not a highly skilled team
Kansas too talented without a doubt.

No, pretty consistently we can point directly to missing free throws being the difference. For years that has been the case. We will hear about the 100 free throws each practice though, because it’s such proven recipe for results
The 100 obviously doesn’t help. How about teaching how to make free throws? We have a lot of guys with poor mechanics (too much movement in the shooting motion etc).

The 100 obviously doesn’t help. How about teaching how to make free throws? We have a lot of guys with poor mechanics (too much movement in the shooting motion etc).
Exactly. Shooting 100 free throws with bad mechanics and techniques does not help.

We need to full court press every damn game from here forward. There isn't another answer.

Oklahoma is not a highly skilled team.
OSU is not a highly skilled team
KSU is a good team but beatable.
Baylor is not a highly skilled team
Kansas too talented without a doubt.
Are each of those better than Stony Brook? That's my point.

WVU a skilled team with zero discipline and cannot make free throws!!

Each player must MAKE 100 free throws before leaving practice. Student assistants are there to count for each player. But sometimes, they don't always count "accurately".
That’s pretty clearly not the case. There is no way a team would be that abysmal if they each make 100 free throws after practice.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
That’s pretty clearly not the case. There is no way a team would be that abysmal if they each make 100 free throws after practice.
The pressure level in practice compared to game, much different. Plus, have you ever just shot basketball in your driveway or a gym and shot 20-30-100 shots in a row and get in a rhythm and make a bunch in a row? Well, in a game, you may go 10 or 20 minutes, or longer, between shots, let along FT attempts.

It may seem easy to couch potatoes and arm-chair coaches, like yourself, but when you're in the game, not so easy.

The pressure level in practice compared to game, much different. Plus, have you ever just shot basketball in your driveway or a gym and shot 20-30-100 shots in a row and get in a rhythm and make a bunch in a row? Well, in a game, you may go 10 or 20 minutes, or longer, between shots, let along FT attempts.

It may seem easy to couch potatoes and arm-chair coaches, like yourself, but when you're in the game, not so easy.
Jerry West always shot basketball in his driveway for several hours. Including 100 foul shots. Practice makes perfect as they say.

Jerry West always shot basketball in his driveway for several hours. Including 100 foul shots. Practice makes perfect as they say.
Again, how many guys are Jerry West? Or Michael Jordan? Saying everyone can shoot FT's in a game at a high level is flawed. No matter how well someone shoots them at practice, it is still "practice" (in an Allen Iverson voice).

Again, how many guys are Jerry West? Or Michael Jordan? Saying everyone can shoot FT's in a game at a high level is flawed. No matter how well someone shoots them at practice, it is still "practice" (in an Allen Iverson voice).
Just made the statement Jerry West put in extra effort to improve his game.

Reactions: jlaudiomaster

Yeah, ok…. Since you’re all knowing, I guess then we will ignore that we are dead last place in D1 in free throws since conference play and pretend that we are the only ones dealing with shooting free throws in game time conditions….OR maybe since I played the game for my entire life, I know what I’m talking about.

To your point, however, shooting (and allegedly making) the 100 free throws at the end of practice is not a good simulation for game environment and that leads to what my overall heartburn is over. The strategy hasn’t worked for years, not days or months. Free throw shooting has plagued us of at least 2-5 wins a season for 4-5 years would be my guess. They should be shooting free throws in rotations with drills and scrimmages to get the simulated feel of the game. Moreover, Huggins gets paid more than enough to, as he says, Fix It

Last edited:
Yeah, ok…. Since you’re all knowing, I guess then we will ignore that we are dead last place in D1 in free throws since conference play and pretend that we are the only ones dealing with shooting free throws in game time conditions….OR maybe since I played the game for my entire life, I know what I’m talking about.

To your point, however, shooting (and allegedly making) the 100 free throws at the end of practice is not a good simulation for game environment and that leads to what my overall heartburn is over. The strategy hasn’t worked for years, not days or months. Free throw shooting has plagued us of at least 2-5 wins a season for 4-5 years would be my guess. They should be shooting free throws in rotations with drills and scrimmages to get the simulated feel of the game. Moreover, Huggins gets paid more than enough to, as he says, Fix It
If someone takes batting practice every day, off a coach, will they be able to hit better? Absolutely. But will all of them be able to hit the ball solidly every swing? Or hit a 95 mph fastball? Or hit it where they want on demand? My point is simple: practice helps you with form and proper technique, but it doesn't make you better when it matters.

So, how do you get to the point where you knock them down consistently? I'm sure we've all been in practices before where the coach lines us up, makes us run numerous sprints and get all tired and weak legged, and then selected someone (usually worst FT shooter on team) to step to the line and knock down 2 FT's. My point is that the only way to get better in games is to practice game-like situations consistently.

If someone takes batting practice every day, off a coach, will they be able to hit better? Absolutely. But will all of them be able to hit the ball solidly every swing? Or hit a 95 mph fastball? Or hit it where they want on demand? My point is simple: practice helps you with form and proper technique, but it doesn't make you better when it matters.

So, how do you get to the point where you knock them down consistently? I'm sure we've all been in practices before where the coach lines us up, makes us run numerous sprints and get all tired and weak legged, and then selected someone (usually worst FT shooter on team) to step to the line and knock down 2 FT's. My point is that the only way to get better in games is to practice game-like situations consistently.

If you can't consistently do something like shoot a basketball as if it is muscle memory in a controlled setting, you will certainly never be able to do it in a chaotic or pressure situation. So it is true that being good at the former doesn't automatically translate to success at the latter. However, there is zero chance of success at the latter if there is no mastery of the former.

Reactions: jlaudiomaster
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT