ADVERTISEMENT

University of Florida set to fire their head coach

If you're trying to compare this to the WVU situation then it's not the same at all.
I'm trying to show that there are few candidates (quality) out there and that Florida may be jumping in front to get one of them. Do you have an issue with my opinion about the state of WVU football?

I'm trying to show that there are few candidates (quality) out there and that Florida may be jumping in front to get one of them. Do you have an issue with my opinion about the state of WVU football?
Florida doesn't need to jump ahead. There are levels and tiers. West Virginia isn't moving on unless the big money boosters decide to front the money. The boosters at Florida are in the process of paying the 26 million dollar buyout of Billy Napier. His days are numbered and it's likely Florida already has it's next candidate lined up. My guess is Jedd Fisch.

Say Neal Brown is bought out. Do they have a guy in mind? Swinging big isn't in the playbook here. No Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, Matt Rhule or Lane Kiffin. There isn't a former graduate that leaps off the page either.

Florida doesn't need to jump ahead. There are levels and tiers. West Virginia isn't moving on unless the big money boosters decide to front the money. The boosters at Florida are in the process of paying the 26 million dollar buyout of Billy Napier. His days are numbered and it's likely Florida already has it's next candidate lined up. My guess is Jedd Fisch.

Say Neal Brown is bought out. Do they have a guy in mind? Swinging big isn't in the playbook here. No Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, Matt Rhule or Lane Kiffin. There isn't a former graduate that leaps off the page either.

Rhule was only a possibility after getting drummed out of Carolina. WVU should have taken a shot rather than extend Brown.

Jimbo?

58 years old and washed up. He couldn't win at Tamu with all the resources at his disposal, not sure how he would win here with substantially less. His career has mostly been on a downward trajectory for years.
I'm neither on nor off the Jimbo train but the only question we should be asking is "Is this guy better than what we've got now?"

I'm neither on nor off the Jimbo train but the only question we should be asking is "Is this guy better than what we've got now?"
I don't know if he would be better or not. You never know what a coach is going to do until he's actually your coach. What I do know is Fisher failed at Tamu with great recruiting classes and boatloads of NIL cash. So there is nothing indicating he would be successful at WVU. I think if Baker makes a change, it will be because of games like the Pitt game and the Houston game last year. If he decides a change is necessary, he should hire who he thinks is the best for the job. I think the changes that have taken place in college football have not been good to the WVU's of the world.

Reactions: HotInEER and Euell
Jimbo has a national championship and a winning record in the SEC. Anybody who thinks he's not better than Neil Brown is clueless about football. I'm not saying Fisher's the right guy for here and that he's not out of date or whatever. He's not even the dude I would Target but he's leaps and bounds better than Neil Brown lol. It's not even close.

Jimbo has a national championship and a winning record in the SEC. Anybody who thinks he's not better than Neil Brown is clueless about football. I'm not saying Fisher's the right guy for here and that he's not out of date or whatever. He's not even the dude I would Target but he's leaps and bounds better than Neil Brown lol. It's not even close.
His last 3 years before getting the boot and 76 million dollars 17-15 (10-13). Pretty much degraded a good Texas A&M team. Would be my last choice.

His title was last BCS era in 2013 before playoffs started. He got out at FSU when it began sliding. 5-6 (3-5)

Would be last on my list. Now if he chose to come and work for free due to already receiving 76 million from his buyout then he would get a serious look.

Fire Neal Brown, Jordan Lesley and Shadon Brown if a loss happens versus Kansas. Name Chad Scott as interim coach. Promote some coaches from assistant positions that watch game film. Begin searching for a new Head Coach.

Season is going to be crap anyway so take your time while interim coach tries to salvage something if anything.

Reactions: OlegeezEER
I agree with Jimbo Fisher is not the answer to any program and I don't want him for the one I support.

I don't subscribe to the thought the season is going to be crap or is crap. We have lost two games, one hurt a lot more than the other. I will remain optimistic and am looking forward to this Saturday. I realize I am in the far minority on this message board and with my friends and some of my family with my perspective.

The coaches that succeed here are people with Brown’s type of background, just because this time it hasn’t panned out shouldn’t mean we stop going to the well on younger coaches. I don’t mind going back to the Sun Belt/high level coordinator route instead of an expensive big name retread who lost their edge. The SEC drowns out the upstarts with all of the star power they have at HC and ability to buy the talent, but the Big XII will likely emerge as a HC proving ground where guys with a good message and solid culture will rise to the top of the conference.

Jimbo is a washout. No blue blood program wants this guy. The guy had all the resources in the world at Tamu and couldn't win. If he weren't from Clarksburg, WV, no one would even mention him on here.

Reactions: WVUBRU
Jimbo is a washout. No blue blood program wants this guy. The guy had all the resources in the world at Tamu and couldn't win. If he weren't from Clarksburg, WV, no one would even mention him on here.
That being said he's a lot better than brown.

His last 3 years before getting the boot and 76 million dollars 17-15 (10-13). Pretty much degraded a good Texas A&M team. Would be my last choice.

His title was last BCS era in 2013 before playoffs started. He got out at FSU when it began sliding. 5-6 (3-5)

Would be last on my list. Now if he chose to come and work for free due to already receiving 76 million from his buyout then he would get a serious look.

Fire Neal Brown, Jordan Lesley and Shadon Brown if a loss happens versus Kansas. Name Chad Scott as interim coach. Promote some coaches from assistant positions that watch game film. Begin searching for a new Head Coach.

Season is going to be crap anyway so take your time while interim coach tries to salvage something if anything.
All that being said Jimbo is still a lot better than brown. As I said he's not the person I would go after. But he is an upgrade and to think otherwise his pretty ridiculous. Neil Brown is not a P5 coach at all.

That being said he's a lot better than brown.

How do you know he would be? He has never been a coach at a school like WVU. Coaches at WVU have to do more with less. Jimbo failed at a school with one of the largest athletic budgets in the country. He coached in a talent-rich state. His boosters had Saban screaming two years ago when they stole quite a few of Alabama's prized recruits. Add that all together, and the guy fell flat on his face.

Last edited:
Reactions: WVUBRU
All that being said Jimbo is still a lot better than brown. As I said he's not the person I would go after. But he is an upgrade and to think otherwise his pretty ridiculous. Neil Brown is not a P5 coach at all.
Who said he was? Right now Fisher is coaching nothing.

How do you know he would be? He has never been a coach at a school like WVU. Coaches at WVU have to do more with less. Jimbo failed at a school with one of the largest athletic budgets in the country. He coached in a talent-rich state. His boosters had Saban screaming two years ago when they stole quite a few of Alabama's prized recruits. Add that all together, and the guy fell flat on his face.
Jimbo Fisher won a national championship. He had winning records in the toughest conference in college sports even at Texas a&m. Neil Brown has not accomplished anything even close. I mean this really shouldn't even be a discussion. Like I say I'm not trying to hire Fisher because I think the game has passed him by. But at least he's a has been. Neil is a never will be. That's a big difference

Who said he was? Right now Fisher is coaching nothing.
Fisher was 45-25 over 6 years in the #1 hardest conference in football. Neal is 32-29 in the 3rd hardest conference in football.

Fisher is a better coach than Brown, but he's not the guy WVU should go after.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT