ADVERTISEMENT

To all of the Dana Lovers

I don't think Dana was doing all the little things needed to win at a high level...the attention to detail will make HCNB better from day one...bottom line...we have a better football coach now

You are going on second and third hand information.
You don't know how Dana runs his practices nor his program.
What Neal Brown brings isn't attention to detail. He brings newness. You haven't loss under Neal Brown. You haven't seen his warts so he is an improvement.

Every attack I have heard about Dana is gossip plus it doesn't make a difference with wins and losses.
Every plus I have heard about Neal Brown doesn't really make a difference between wins and losses.

Nick Saban isn't winning because of attention to detail.

Saban and Bama are winning because Nick Saban is the best DB coach in CFB.
Even though he is a Head Coach.

You are going on second and third hand information.
You don't know how Dana runs his practices nor his program.
What Neal Brown brings isn't attention to detail. He brings newness. You haven't loss under Neal Brown. You haven't seen his warts so he is an improvement.

Every attack I have heard about Dana is gossip plus it doesn't make a difference with wins and losses.
Every plus I have heard about Neal Brown doesn't really make a difference between wins and losses.

Nick Saban isn't winning because of attention to detail.

Saban and Bama are winning because Nick Saban is the best DB coach in CFB.
Even though he is a Head Coach.
lol, the attention to detail is seen in the games, so for you to say this is second or third hand info is spin. Did you watch a wv football game with our mistakes?

lol, the attention to detail is seen in the games, so for you to say this is second or third hand info is spin. Did you watch a wv football game with our mistakes?

West Virginia didn't have a big talent advantage over their opponents.

The Iowa St game tells a lot about DH.
Some people have said Will Grier had a concussion.

But I saw WV use their other weapons instead.
Wesco is an example of DH's ability to make in season adjustments.
Look at Wesco's numbers after the Iowa State game.

Regarding Oklahoma St...
They were a 2 point conversion from beating Oklahoma and they beat Texas.
Oklahoma St at their peak was a great team.
Destroyed Boise St
Beat Texas
Beat WV
Loss by 1 to Oklahoma
Beat a good SEC East team in Missouri.

Can't blame DH for losing in Stillwater.
Have to tip your hat and recruit better players. .

The expectations of Neal Brown winning those games.
Is what is going to be his demise.

WV is a 5-7 to 7-5 team this year.
No matter the coach.
Some coaches would probably be worse but no coach is going to bring more than 8 wins in 2019.
If Neal Brown can get 7 he did a fantastic job.

West Virginia didn't have a big talent advantage over their opponents.

The Iowa St game tells a lot about DH.
Some people have said Will Grier had a concussion.

But I saw WV use their other weapons instead.
Wesco is an example of DH's ability to make in season adjustments.
Look at Wesco's numbers after the Iowa State game.

Regarding Oklahoma St...
They were a 2 point conversion from beating Oklahoma and they beat Texas.
Oklahoma St at their peak was a great team.
Destroyed Boise St
Beat Texas
Beat WV
Loss by 1 to Oklahoma
Beat a good SEC East team in Missouri.

Can't blame DH for losing in Stillwater.
Have to tip your hat and recruit better players. .
ok, we can agree on this but you either recruit better or play with more discipline and pay attention to detail

ok, we can agree on this but you either recruit better or play with more discipline and pay attention to detail
Its funny some dude telling other WVU fans what our expectations should be for the next 5 years...I expect Neal to compete once in the next 5 years for a conference title and/or playoff birth because our history tells us we can...7 wins would be great since Dana left the cupboard is bare

Its funny some dude telling other WVU fans what our expectations should be for the next 5 years...I expect Neal to compete once in the next 5 years for a conference title and/or playoff birth because our history tells us we can...7 wins would be great since Dana left the cupboard is bare

Still too early.
I think teams returning QBs will be tough
Texas
Baylor
Iowa State

Teams with talented rosters and grad transfers at QB
TCU
Oklahoma

TCU gets the edge on WV because they have maybe the best returning RBs and WR in Sewo, Darius Anderson and Jalen Reagor.

Neal Brown and WV can be competitive because DH didn't leave the cupboard bare...

WV has talent at WR
Talent at RB
3 good DT to play 2 spots
Alabama transfer at LB
Plus a possible all Big 12 player at LT

Everything will be determined by how much of the offense and defense can Neal Brown put in at WV.
I think the offense will not take too long because Neal Brown is not too different than DH.
Defense is the question.
Without someone who can play the Bandit position that D is not as aggressive. Meaning it lacks a pass rush. The Bandit is there to speed rush the QB and force the QB to throw earlier than expected.

Last edited:

I think WV's biggest issue last year was talent at CB.

Your corners had good technique and understood the position but they lacked the size or speed to match up with the better WRs.
In the games WV struggled it was because of CB play.
WV needs to recruit the position better or like Iowa St find a way to subsitute scheme for talent.
But even highly rated CBs like Darion Green Warren are too slow to play in the Big 12.
Guy is a Top 250 player but runs a 4.7 40 and has the shuffle time of a LB.
OU forced him to decommit.

Nehlen won here and so can Brown...you cant be a lazy recruiter

The majority of recruiting falls to the assistants.
Nehlen coached at WV as an independent and in the Big East
Brown is coaching WV in the Big 12. More importantly football has changed.
You need better athletes all over the field. Especially on Defense.
Those players come from the BlackBelt.
BlackBelt ends in Maryland.
Only state outside of this region that constantly produces elite talent is California.
African%20American%20County%20Map-thumb-380x264.jpg

States with 10 or more prospects in Rivals250
StateProspects
Florida

Texas

Georgia

California

Maryland

Tennessee

Alabama

Louisiana

North Carolina

Last edited:
OP probably believes there is no difference between The leftovers Big East and Big12 football.

Dana built a winning program that competed for Big12 Championships and has bigger wins over better programs than Nehlen, Rodriguez and Stewart.

He will have Houston in the top 15 while WVU will continue to win a average of 8 games a year.

We'll revisit this topic next off season.

Dana won 10 games and a BCS bowl his first season after being found drunk at the Dog Track.

But this guy knew he would be able to say told ya so one day.

Stupid person, stupid thread.

OP probably believes there is no difference between The leftovers Big East and Big12 football.

Dana built a winning program that competed for Big12 Championships and has bigger wins over better programs than Nehlen, Rodriguez and Stewart.

He will have Houston in the top 15 while WVU will continue to win a average of 8 games a year.

Dana also had some of the worst loses in program history, especially against Kansas and his bowl game record was atrocious. Also, when did we ever compete for Big 12 championships (one year we finished tied for 2nd)? And please explain his "bigger wins", because you're insane if you think he had bigger wins over better teams. He also finished 7-6 with one of the most loaded WVU NFL-talented teams.

LOL...loses all cred in one sentence.

be careful on Nehlen remember Md QB'ed by Boomer, BC and Flutie, and of course beating Penn State...remember the 93 team...might want to research some of Don's wins

Reactions: SKYHAWKBALL
Dana won 10 games and a BCS bowl his first season after being found drunk at the Dog Track.

with Stew's assit coaches

I think WV's biggest issue last year was talent at CB.

Your corners had good technique and understood the position but they lacked the size or speed to match up with the better WRs.
In the games WV struggled it was because of CB play.
WV needs to recruit the position better or like Iowa St find a way to subsitute scheme for talent.
But even highly rated CBs like Darion Green Warren are too slow to play in the Big 12.
Guy is a Top 250 player but runs a 4.7 40 and has the shuffle time of a LB.
OU forced him to decommit.
our corners were first yr in the program and are really safeties...we brought in a juco corner and two stud freshman at that position...here is the thing...wv is loaded at tailback and we have a future NFL kid at QB...if our oline stays healthy then we have a shot at being real good on offense...and our defense cant be any worse then last yr...by year end we had a walkon playing linebacker..not sure what texas team you support but WVU has a rich history in college football...14th all time in wins....we have had success at a high level playing in the East back when Penn State, Md, Boston College and Pitt were some of the best teams in the sport....Don Nehlen made the blue print on how to win here and Im sure Brown is picking his mind on how to get it done....exciting time at wvu

The biggest problem this year is lining up to be TexasTrill2018 and the never ending self proclaimed expert opinions. Has the makings of a few barn burners though.

Reactions: SKYHAWKBALL

Other then the one 10 win season with Howard not much to show for his time at WVU

Reactions: Rootmaster
our corners were first yr in the program and are really safeties...we brought in a juco corner and two stud freshman at that position...here is the thing...wv is loaded at tailback and we have a future NFL kid at QB...if our oline stays healthy then we have a shot at being real good on offense...and our defense cant be any worse then last yr...by year end we had a walkon playing linebacker..not sure what texas team you support but WVU has a rich history in college football...14th all time in wins....we have had success at a high level playing in the East back when Penn State, Md, Boston College and Pitt were some of the best teams in the sport....Don Nehlen made the blue print on how to win here and Im sure Brown is picking his mind on how to get it done....exciting time at wvu

Kendall is a good QB...
NFL potential?
I don't know how you came to that conclusion.
OU didn't think he was good enough to get them to the CFP. They brought in Hurts.

Kendall is a good QB...
NFL potential?
I don't know how you came to that conclusion.
OU didn't think he was good enough to get them to the CFP. They brought in Hurts.
You do realize WG would not have started at OU the last two years

You do realize WG would not have started at OU the last two years

Talking about Jalen Hurts.
Don't know if Will Grier would have beaten out either Mayfield or Murray. A lot of NFL people are high on Grier.
OU was worried about Kendall and how Kendall didn't give them enough.
Kendall was compared to Trevor Knight by people around Oklahoma.
Good QB but not a NFL QB

you do realize Dana won the same number of regular season games as Stew? right? Dana did win the Bowl game and then blew the entire staff up. Now that was stupid!!!!

According to you Dana didn't do the hiring and firing. I don't understand why someone would start a dumbass thread about a coach who has been gone for 3 months plus.

According to you Dana didn't do the hiring and firing. I don't understand why someone would start a dumbass thread about a coach who has been gone for 3 months plus.
Ollie had to take over the hiring after Dana replace Stews guys with a stupid group of coaches. Remember Deforest and the cornerbacks coach that never even played high school football? Remember that circus? Ollie had to take over after that crap!

Awards or not you can't make assumptions on what one player would do on another team.

I think we all can agree OU's QB's were the best players in college football the last two years by the awards they won.

That doesn't mean that Kendall is anywhere close to Grier.
They both may be from North Carolina but if Kendall was as good of a QB as Grier OU would have kept him.

Don't get me wrong...
Kendall is a good QB. No one wanted him at TCU but Kendall is not a future NFL starter.

Grier was
Mayfield was
Murray was

Plus...
Allison still could be the starter.
Truthfully Allison is the one that could make WV a great team in 2019 because of his arm strength.
Forces DBs to cover more space.
But...
He has issues with progressions and confidence in the pocket.

That doesn't mean that Kendall is anywhere close to Grier.
They both may be from North Carolina but if Kendall was as good of a QB as Grier OU would have kept him.

Don't get me wrong...
Kendall is a good QB. No one wanted him at TCU but Kendall is not a future NFL starter.

Grier was
Mayfield was
Murray was
No one said NFL starter. It was said NFL football player....WG was never going to start at OU the last two years...just look at draft status if winning the highest award cant convince you of just good those kids are....Baker Mayfield vs WG....even as good as WG that is an easy answer

Plus...
Allison still could be the starter.
Truthfully Allison is the one that could make WV a great team in 2019 because of his arm strength.
Forces DBs to cover more space.
But...
He has issues with progressions and confidence in the pocket.
lol, Allison will not be our starter and if he is we are in trouble....to slow...

No one said NFL starter. It was said NFL football player....WG was never going to start at OU the last two years...just look at draft status if winning the highest award cant convince you of just good those kids are....Baker Mayfield vs WG....even as good as WG that is an easy answer

Kendall could end up in a NFL camp but he is not a NFL level QB.
He is a good QB and is very good at going through his progressions but his game is limited due to arm strength and athletic ability.
He is probably a better athlete than Grier but Grier's deep ball is elite.
This is why the NE Patriots really want him and why they put out information to smear Will Grier.
They didn't want his draft stock to improve.

Awards or not you can't make assumptions on what one player would do on another team.
I agree with 5150, Mayfield and Murray have two of the most productive and exciting college football players in recent history. I like Will Grier but he was never starting in front of those two kids. Never! The thing that has me excited is Kendall was running with OU's 1's in summer practice because he was pushing Murray

Kendall could end up in a NFL camp but he is not a NFL level QB.
He is a good QB and is very good at going through his progressions but his game is limited due to arm strength and athletic ability.
He is probably a better athlete than Grier but Grier's deep ball is elite.
This is why the NE Patriots really want him and why they put out information to smear Will Grier.
They didn't want his draft stock to improve.
how do you know Kendall is not as good as Grier? That is an assumption like you said

I agree with 5150, Mayfield and Murray have two of the most productive and exciting college football players in recent history. I like Will Grier but he was never starting in front of those two kids. Never! The thing that has me excited is Kendall was running with OU's 1's in summer practice because he was pushing Murray

Murray was playing baseball last spring
That was why Kendall started fall camp as the #1.
The Football Brainiacs cover both OU and Texas and they said after the second day that the difference between Murray and Kendall was huge.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT