ADVERTISEMENT

To all of the Dana Lovers

AllEers6

All-Conference
Sep 22, 2011
This is the I Told You So Post!

Fans need to learn to support the program and not a coach. Dana was not good for WV from the start. He was caught drunk at the dog track in St Albans and over slept for a meeting with the Gov. the first two weeks here and everyone defended him(now the Ollie PR machine went into work fast on that one). How about the time Stew and his boys were in watching film during spring ball and Dana was out drinking with his boys, but this was Stew's fault because one of his coaches told to many people. Or how about the time Dana got so mad after losing that he didn't fly back with the team and didn't show up to practice until Wednesday, but once again this was a person on the staffs fault for telling people that we should have a concern.

Now, Dana got better after Ollie laid down the law following his second year(were the DC was the scapegoat) but that was when Dana hired a bunch of people that had no business coaching at this level, but it was Dunlap's fault for telling Ollie the defense was just not going to work. See the pattern, Ollie and his PR machine always made it someone else's problem.

Dana could not handle hirng and firing and day to day operations so Ollie hires the ex Penn State coach. Dana wanted out of florida recruiting because those kids were to much work so Ollie hired Seider. Lots of covering for Dana. Notice when Dana leaves Ollie pokes his head out of the said to make statements to the press.

Dana got better while he was here but I was the one telling everyone he was not fit to be a coach early in his career. I told you guys so, but lots of people were fans of Dana and not the football program.

Some things to think about!!!!!

btw...I notice some of the old Dana lovers are gone from the message board now. Hahahaha!!!!

The negatives to Dana also worked as positives.
You can just look at the house that DH built in West Virginia to see his thought process.
Dana wasn't afraid of new ideas or change.
He always lived on the edge at WV.

The question will be...
Did that hurt or help WV .

His innovations in football at Oklahoma State as a OC and at WV as a Head Coach have been seen.
Neal Brown might be a better head coach but he will never be the innovator that DH is.

Reactions: Wahama78
The negatives to Dana also worked as positives.
You can just look at the house that DH built in West Virginia to see his thought process.
Dana wasn't afraid of new ideas or change.
He always lived on the edge at WV.

The question will be...
Did that hurt or help WV .

His innovations in football at Oklahoma State as a OC and at WV as a Head Coach have been seen.
Neal Brown might be a better head coach but he will never be the innovator that DH is.
what innovations....he was a great OC but not a head coach

Pfft. Are you in Middle School?
Only thing worse than the “accepting mediocrity” posts are the “I told you so” posts.

What exactly did you tell me and when? Tell us something we didn’t know. And who the F cares what you said or didn’t say. Anybody could point out the facts and that Dana was an above average coach but had a learning curve and didn’t get us to the CCG or beyond 3rd place.

I’m not defending Dana. I think it was the best for both sides that he left when he did.

I just don’t understand coming on here with the silly and childish I told you so.

Fans need to learn to support the program and not a coach. Dana was not good for WV from the start. He was caught drunk at the dog track in St Albans and over slept for a meeting with the Gov. the first two weeks here and everyone defended him(now the Ollie PR machine went into work fast on that one). How about the time Stew and his boys were in watching film during spring ball and Dana was out drinking with his boys, but this was Stew's fault because one of his coaches told to many people. Or how about the time Dana got so mad after losing that he didn't fly back with the team and didn't show up to practice until Wednesday, but once again this was a person on the staffs fault for telling people that we should have a concern.

Now, Dana got better after Ollie laid down the law following his second year(were the DC was the scapegoat) but that was when Dana hired a bunch of people that had no business coaching at this level, but it was Dunlap's fault for telling Ollie the defense was just not going to work. See the pattern, Ollie and his PR machine always made it someone else's problem.

Dana could not handle hirng and firing and day to day operations so Ollie hires the ex Penn State coach. Dana wanted out of florida recruiting because those kids were to much work so Ollie hired Seider. Lots of covering for Dana. Notice when Dana leaves Ollie pokes his head out of the said to make statements to the press.

Dana got better while he was here but I was the one telling everyone he was not fit to be a coach early in his career. I told you guys so, but lots of people were fans of Dana and not the football program.

btw...I notice some of the old Dana lovers are gone from the message board now. Hahahaha!!!!

Only thing worse than the “accepting mediocrity” posts are the “I told you so” posts.

What exactly did you tell me and when? Tell us something we didn’t know. And who the F cares what you said or didn’t say. Anybody could point out the facts and that Dana was an above average coach but had a learning curve and didn’t get us to the CCG or beyond 3rd place.

I’m not defending Dana. I think it was the best for both sides that he left when he did.

I just don’t understand coming on here with the silly and childish I told you so.

Gives WV a chance to see what works in the Big 12.
DH wasn't getting them to the level they wanted.
But possibly WV goes back to the risk taking innovator if Neal Brown fails.
If Brown wins they will stick with someone who may pay more attention to detail and will play smarter football.

I am a guy who believes in supporting the coach you have. No matter who was/is here, I do not think constantly trying to tear them down is beneficial. I also do not think going on a smear campaign after a coach is gone is beneficial. That goes for coaches, as well. Fans, however, can take it too far.

I truly wanted Dana to succeed, and each new season I hoped that would be the breakthrough season we were waiting for. We had a couple of 10-win seasons and won a couple of bowls. We had some first round picks. We were ranked fairly consistently. And Dana was a good coach to help with the transition to the B12.

Dana was not a failure, by a long shot, but he had to learn on the job by his own admission, how to be a head coach. I believe he will be an annual 10-game-winner at Houston, mostly because there will not be the pressure at Houston that there is at a power 5 school. Dana did not want to get up at 5 a.m. and he did not want to schmooze the donors. He wanted to think up plays and call them. That is what he enjoyed the most. I think he will go back to calling plays at Houston.

When he decided to go and there was the stalemate between he and Lyons, I felt like it was about as clean a break as one could hope for. I wish it could have worked and we could have won more games and reached higher heights, but it didn’t happen that way. I think it was time to go for both sides.

All that said, I am thrilled with Neal Brown. I feel like he can be a 20-year guy here if he wants to. As long as Stoops is successful at UK, he will be happy in Morgantown. The fans are rallying around him, and he has been a head coach for 4 years prior to coming to WVU, so he knows how to run a program and though he still will continue to learn, he isn’t coming from a place of not knowing the small details.

Plus WV and Neal Brown made the right choice by bringing in the entire staff at Troy.

Like I have said even Oklahoma has had a down year every 4 or 5 years since they hired Bob Stoops.
Texas between 1998 and 2009 is the only Big 12 program since the conference was created to win 9 games every year for an extended period.

If Neal Brown's floor is 7-6 seasons and his ceiling is 11 win seasons the move was worth it.
Pretty much Mike Gundy and Gary Patterson.
Both coming off down years at 7-6

This difference between the great coach and the good coach is their attention to detail.

Great coaches can be beaten, but you have to beat them - they do not beat themselves. Saban is a great coach. Meyer is a great coach. There are few others. Their attention to the tiniest details is what defines them. They see problems before they happen and focus attention to them immediately and repetitively.

Good coaches win games but can't "get over the hump". Their attention to detail isn't that great and they win most of the time but lose games they probably shouldn't.

Dana was a good coach here. He'll be a good coach at Houston. I'll leave it at that.

Reactions: Volatility
Haven't seen it so don't know if it is happening or not...
But an Urban Meyer type coach would have targeted Maryland and Mike Locksley from Day 1
Since that is the state WV has the deepest ties in that produces elite talent.
Urban Meyer didn't just pay attention to the smallest detail. Urban Meyer would control the narrative about his program and the narrative of their recruiting rivals.

Meyer forced Bobby Bowden into retirement while at Florida.

Dana was a good coach.

Compare 2011 Big East coaches to 2018 Big 12 coaches.

Butch Jones
Charlie Strong
Todd Graham
Greg Schiano
Paul Pasqualoni
Skip Holtz
Doug Marrone

Marrone was probably considered the best coach.
None of those coaches would be considered great to elite.

Big 12
Mike Gundy
Lincoln Riley
Matt Rhule
Tom Herman
Gary Patterson
Matt Campbell
Bill Snyder
David Beaty
Kliff Kingsbury

1 Hall of Fame coach
1 Potential Hall of Fame Coach in Patterson
4 Top 20 coaches in Riley, Gundy, Herman and Campbell

The major difference in the Big East and the Big 12 is coaching.

Even Neal Brown at best would be right below Matt Rhule.
8th on the list
Rhule is a great coach. Has interviewed for NFL jobs the last two years

Reactions: 5150
The mistake that was made was the 3am kneejerk hire of Gomer by Eddie Pasthisprime. Otherwise, a real search would have been made to replace Fraud and Gomer could have named any job he wanted in the AD EXCEPT head coach. Thankfully, that was one of two mistakes Ollie took care of when he took over as AD. The other was he and Huggy telling Marshall where to get off.

The mistake that was made was the 3am kneejerk hire of Gomer by Eddie Pasthisprime. Otherwise, a real search would have been made to replace Fraud and Gomer could have named any job he wanted in the AD EXCEPT head coach. Thankfully, that was one of two mistakes Ollie took care of when he took over as AD. The other was he and Huggy telling Marshall where to get off.

WVU messed up during that time by not trying to keep Rich Rod and letting him just leave so easily.

Not a Dana lover but a WVU lover, please tell me what you think of
HCNB.

Haven't seen it so don't know if it is happening or not...
But an Urban Meyer type coach would have targeted Maryland and Mike Locksley from Day 1
Since that is the state WV has the deepest ties in that produces elite talent.
Urban Meyer didn't just pay attention to the smallest detail. Urban Meyer would control the narrative about his program and the narrative of their recruiting rivals.

Meyer forced Bobby Bowden into retirement while at Florida.

age forced Bobby Bowden to retire

WVU messed up during that time by not trying to keep Rich Rod and letting him just leave so easily.
One mistake is no excuse for a second mistake...then try and blame Stew and his coaches while trying to cover up the hiring of the second mistake. if people only knew just how out of control
Dana was the first several years. lol

Ollie played cover his tail the entire time.

Reactions: SKYHAWKBALL
Not a Dana lover but a WVU lover, please tell me what you think of
HCNB.
Notice how much Neal is out in the state. Dana never went out and met the people and the
Dana lovers would make the excuse that was not his job. Well. Shane had a different opinion on that one

Dana was a good coach.

Compare 2011 Big East coaches to 2018 Big 12 coaches.

Butch Jones
Charlie Strong
Todd Graham
Greg Schiano
Paul Pasqualoni
Skip Holtz
Doug Marrone

Marrone was probably considered the best coach.
None of those coaches would be considered great to elite.

Big 12
Mike Gundy
Lincoln Riley
Matt Rhule
Tom Herman
Gary Patterson
Matt Campbell
Bill Snyder
David Beaty
Kliff Kingsbury

1 Hall of Fame coach
1 Potential Hall of Fame Coach in Patterson
4 Top 20 coaches in Riley, Gundy, Herman and Campbell

The major difference in the Big East and the Big 12 is coaching.

Even Neal Brown at best would be right below Matt Rhule.
8th on the list
Rhule is a great coach. Has interviewed for NFL jobs the last two years
Remember Dana was hired to win in the Big 12 and we were told that he would, but one thing is wrong with your chart above and the quality in big 12 coaching was not this good when we came into the league. Matter of fact Texas and Texas Tech were average, Iowa State and Kansas were crap, Kansas State, Baylor and OSU were good but not crazy good with TCU and the sooners at the top. You do realize that with our talent and history there is 4 or 5 wins built into that sch. Ofh wait Dana had the talent to win the big East and beat Clemson but not in the Big 12. See, that was Ollie's PR machine because last yr Dana's Schalorship numbers were down like Stews but no one wanted to take about that issue.

We went into the Big 12 with a nice group of future NFL stars but some how it was still Stew's fault 5 years into the league.

I think what you are doing is comparing character issues with coaching issues.

Character issues can be covered up, for a while anyway, and obfuscated with wins.
Coaching issues could not. Stews biggest coaching issue was always his offensive coordination and WVU hired a guy while Stew was here who never should have been.

I think what you are doing is comparing character issues with coaching issues.

Character issues can be covered up, for a while anyway, and obfuscated with wins.
Coaching issues could not. Stews biggest coaching issue was always his offensive coordination and WVU hired a guy while Stew was here who never should have been.
This thread is NOT about Stew but about a bad hire that Ollie covered up for by using Stew, his coaches, and anyone else he could throw under the bus for mistakes being made on and off the field. Dana was a mess for the first three years, or until Ollie took over the administration part of the program and told Dana to get help. People were fans of the coach and not the program. Dana was not good for our program. Notice how HCNB talks about all of the administrative help given to the coaching staff with recruiting, conditioning, food service and nutrition, and study hall. Its because Ollie had to put an entire staff around Dana to keep the program running. At one point the guy from Penn State handled all the day-to-day administrative stuff because Dana was never around. After he left gibby took this over. If Dana was not out doing PR and he can only make so many visits to recruits, then what in the heck was he doing? I heard the last several years or so he was flying out of town when the season was out. Never around!

age forced Bobby Bowden to retire
HCNB is a rock star. Notice how he understands how to get out and meet people. I heard a story not long after Dana came to town Ollie put together a $10,000 a plate event to meet the coach somewhere in the Charleston area (after his first season) and someone was at the bar asking Dana questions and was wanting to know why Dana did certain things and didn't do certain things with his offense. Dana took this as a personal attack and started cussing the dude. Dana went outside for a half an hour and came back after he calmed down, and said he was just testing him and changed the subject but the mood of the entire event changed. they sat down to eat, Dana gave a short talk, and left. Ollie never left him alone with fans and alumni again(someone from the MAC was always near and maybe this changed later). True story!

You lost me at "dog track in St. Albans".

I'm glad though, that three months after he left, you felt the need to post this. It's important, apparently, to feel vindicated and continue to let people know it than to actually move on and support our new staff. I bet you and @WVpride304 are tons of fun at parties.

You lost me at "dog track in St. Albans".

I'm glad though, that three months after he left, you felt the need to post this. It's important, apparently, to feel vindicated and continue to let people know it than to actually move on and support our new staff. I bet you and @WVpride304 are tons of fun at parties.
Did you stop reading because you didnt want to hear the trueth? Its guys like you that took up for Dana at every turn and got on Ollie's PR tour just to take up for 7 day a week party animal that was collecting over $3 Million a year to be our head coach. Its kinda neat to see how people want everyone to just move on without at least having the discussion on why you guys took up for Dana. so why did you guys take up for him all the time?

Last edited:

Because it feels good to me, and because its guys like you that debated me, and told me to go home, and told me I was stupid that Dana was the next all time great coach that we just needed to give him 7 years to learn on the job. If some people had just paid attention to the signs that Dana was a mess this discuss would be different.

who else did Ollie interview for Dana's position? Did he really do a national search? Talk about under the cover of dark.

Did you stop reading because you didnt want to hear the trueth? Its guys like you that took up for Dana at every turn and got on Ollie's PR tour just to take up for 7 day a week party animal that was collecting over $3 Million a year to be our head coach. Its kinda neat to see how people want everyone to just move on without at least having the discussion on why you guys took up for Dana. so why did you guys take up for him all the time?
Now the cat is out of the bag ! It isn't about the coaching ability, it's not about the coach's party habits, It's all about the money. Coach got and you jealous...ole green eyed envy.....

Now the cat is out of the bag ! It isn't about the coaching ability, it's not about the coach's party habits, It's all about the money. Coach got and you jealous...ole green eyed envy.....
lol, this is the only come back you have to this discussion? Really? Envy? Im laughing because you Dana lovers have no come back. Im right and you know it!

Party on Garth, Party on Wayne!

lol, this is the only come back you have to this discussion? Really? Envy? Im laughing because you Dana lovers have no come back. Im right and you know it!

Party on Garth, Party on Wayne!
Not a Dana lover, prefer to see NB body of work, don't care how much coaches earn, hate when jealousy gets posted.......

I am a guy who believes in supporting the coach you have. No matter who was/is here, I do not think constantly trying to tear them down is beneficial. I also do not think going on a smear campaign after a coach is gone is beneficial. That goes for coaches, as well. Fans, however, can take it too far.

I truly wanted Dana to succeed, and each new season I hoped that would be the breakthrough season we were waiting for. We had a couple of 10-win seasons and won a couple of bowls. We had some first round picks. We were ranked fairly consistently. And Dana was a good coach to help with the transition to the B12.

Dana was not a failure, by a long shot, but he had to learn on the job by his own admission, how to be a head coach. I believe he will be an annual 10-game-winner at Houston, mostly because there will not be the pressure at Houston that there is at a power 5 school. Dana did not want to get up at 5 a.m. and he did not want to schmooze the donors. He wanted to think up plays and call them. That is what he enjoyed the most. I think he will go back to calling plays at Houston.

When he decided to go and there was the stalemate between he and Lyons, I felt like it was about as clean a break as one could hope for. I wish it could have worked and we could have won more games and reached higher heights, but it didn’t happen that way. I think it was time to go for both sides.

All that said, I am thrilled with Neal Brown. I feel like he can be a 20-year guy here if he wants to. As long as Stoops is successful at UK, he will be happy in Morgantown. The fans are rallying around him, and he has been a head coach for 4 years prior to coming to WVU, so he knows how to run a program and though he still will continue to learn, he isn’t coming from a place of not knowing the small details.
I agree with you post. The reason I may be coming across as tearing down a former coach is because people on this message board tore me down for years when I pointed out Dana may not be fit for WVU. I also notice some of those people are not around much now days. hahaha

Last edited:
Not a Dana lover, prefer to see NB body of work, don't care how much coaches earn, hate when jealousy gets posted.......
lol, Jealousy is not the issue, its having an average coach and that fans take up for just because he drinks red bull and is cool. How about win games, work hard, and go out and meet the people of WV.

Dana the second in most wins as a football coach in WVU history. Only reason he is no longer here is because negotiations did not occur. WVU came with no offer. It was time Dana moved on. It was a mutual decision. he was not fired.

Let us all know when you become a coach, AD or president of a college or university. Then you can make the decision of who should be hired or fired.

Your a fan and have a right to cry and bitch. But you're one of those fans that stretch to far and make it personal.

Dog track is not in St. Albans. It's 1 Greyhound Dr, Cross Lanes, WV 25313.

This proves you are not from WV or was born here and moved away when daddy got a new job.

You attacking a coach that is no longer here. It's fans like yourself that suck the joy out of life.

Bill Stewart left a black eye on himself and WVU. Ruining his image and school supporters. Dana proved how easy it was to win in the Big East. Considering he went to the OB in his first year as a coach.

Your spelling is atrocious. Your argument weak. WVU fans have no reason to post about Dana due to a new regime overseeing the football team.

BTW..I noticed a Dana hater brought back the argument that should have stayed away. It's time to move on and support the new staff. You have begun a troll thread. Successfully I might add.

Last edited:

Dana was never a fit here so glad we got coach brown him and the staff he hired fit in perfectly and plus these guys can recruit best we ever had in my opinion.

Reactions: AllEers6
Dana the second in most wins as a football coach in WVU history. Only reason he is no longer here is because negotiations did not occur. WVU came with no offer. It was time Dana moved on. It was a mutual decision. he was not fired.

Let us all know when you become a coach, AD or president of a college or university. Then you can make the decision of who should be hired or fired.

Your a fan and have a right to cry and bitch. But you're one of those fans that stretch to far and make it personal.

Dog track is not in St. Albans. It's 1 Greyhound Dr, Cross Lanes, WV 25313.

This proves you are not from WV or was born here and moved away when daddy got a new job.

You attacking a coach that is no longer here. It's fans like yourself that suck the joy out of life.

Bill Stewart left a black eye on himself and WVU. Ruining his image and school supporters. Dana proved how easy it was to win in the Big East. Considering he went to the OB in his first year as a coach.

Your spelling is atrocious. Your argument weak. WVU fans have no reason to post about Dana due to a new regime overseeing the football team.

BTW..I noticed a Dana hater brought back the argument that should have stayed away. It's time to move on and support the new staff. You have begun a troll thread. Successfully I might add.
Its always funny when someone cant debate an issue they throw out the spelling topic. Classic message board talk when your lost. You do realize that Dana and Stew won the same number games in the Big East 9?

It is personal because WVU football is personal to the state and its fans. You darn right its personal

Its always funny when someone cant debate an issue they throw out the spelling topic. Classic message board talk when your lost. You do realize that Dana and Stew won the same number games in the Big East 9?

It is personal because WVU football is personal to the state and its fans. You darn right its personal

Yet Stew never went to a BCS bowl. Why dig up an old argument about a coach no longer here? Wait I know why. You're a dumb ass.

Reactions: ChattanoogaEER
Yet Stew never went to a BCS bowl. Why dig up an old argument about a coach no longer here? Wait I know why. You're a dumb ass.
What's funny is AllEers makes some good points.....Ollie had his little social media advocates pushing his agenda....and many of our fans took the bait hook line and sinker.....also, some members of these message boards got very personal with attacks when some fans didn't buy into the pro Ollie agenda...I know I left for a long time myself

Last edited:
What's funny is AllEers makes some good points.....Ollie had his little social media advocates pushing his agenda....and many of our fans took the bait hook line and sinker.....also, some members of these message board got very personal with attacks when some fans didn't buy into the pro Ollie agenda...I know I left for a long time myself

I have no idea what Ollie's agenda was other than get WVU in a P5 conference. We will never know but IMO Bill Stewart would have made WVU equal to KU in Big 12. He hired Dana because he thought he would help the transition into Big 12 offensive formats. This was a huge gamble.

Ollies biggest mistake was giving Dana a huge contract with a clause of having to pay a huge cost if he was ever fired. That cost was the sum of his total contract for remaining years. There was no buyout technically. Lyons renegotiated that to include a buyout clause.

I have no idea what Ollie's agenda was other than get WVU in a P5 conference. We will never know but IMO Bill Stewart would have made WVU equal to KU in Big 12. He hired Dana because he thought he would help the transition into Big 12 offensive formats. This was a huge gamble.

Ollies biggest mistake was giving Dana a huge contract with a clause of having to pay a huge cost if he was ever fired. That cost was the sum of his total contract for remaining years. There was no buyout technically. Lyons renegotiated that to include a buyout clause.
Look....Ollie should have walked into Stew's office wrote him a check for what he was owed, thanked him for his service and said as the new AD I have a right to hire my own coach. Done...but Ollie did that HCIW crap...next Ollie didn't get us into the big 12 that was Jay Rockefeller...but Ollie did cross all the I's and cross all the T's...Stew was not up for the transition to the big 12 that is not the issue

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT