ADVERTISEMENT

Time to Take Mike Puskar's Name Off the Stadium

dangerousdaneerfan

All-Conference
Aug 14, 2007
Sistersville, West Virginia
After news broke on Heather's "EpiPengate" and the embarrassing way she got her eMBA degree from WVU with her daddy and Garrison's help, Mike Puskar would be embarrassed on what she had done with his company. She also took it to the Netherlands in order to avoid US taxes. It is time for Shane Lyons to cut the final tie of Fast Eddie and Garrison and drop the Puskar name from the Stadium and give Heather back her money.

Nehlen Stadium?

Rich Rodriguez Field?

John Denver Stadium?

Bill Stewart Match the Mountains IPF?

Leave No Doubt Field?

Yep two of the best team football speeches in CF history...win one for the gipper by Knute and leave no doubt by Bill. Leave no doubt field,,,Hmmmm. But it might be a little drastic to throw the baby out with the bath water.

The problem is that they likely have a time commitment (# of years) to that name. Obviously there would have to be situations where WVU would be excused to change the name (crimes against humanity type stuff). I just doubt this would qualify.

If that were to happen, I would go with Nehlen. He put WVU football on the map. Opinions differ on his flirtation with OSU, but he never left and is still heavily involved today.

IMO, Rod was more important in where we are right now (B12) since his historic 3 year run here elevated our program to where we showed up on the B12 radar. The way he left and the short time he was here takes him out of the running.

Nehlen Stadium?

Rich Rodriguez Field?

John Denver Stadium?

Bill Stewart Match the Mountains IPF?

Leave No Doubt Field?

Really? Good grief!!

How about calling it "Mountaineer Field"? That's what it should have been called all along. And, YES! I am in favor of dropping the Puskar name.

For the life of me I cannot figure out how anybody would have voted for Joe Manchin after it became abundantly clear that his daughter was "awarded" an MBA just because she was the governor's daughter and his buddy, Mike Garrison, was president, and they both had ties to Mylan Puskar, for whom she worked.

BRING BACK MOUNTAINEER FIELD!!!!

Does anyone know the donation amount that was made to secure the name?

Silly original post, though.

I don't think that stadium will be around in 15 years, anyways.

Who is going to step and dump some cash for our new stadium?

Even back in the day $21 million wasn't worth the naming rights (even if they were not actually requested).

If you mean back in the day, as in 1980, the construction cost was $22 million. If you mean 2004, that's still a nice chunk.

If you mean back in the day, as in 1980, the construction cost was $22 million. If you mean 2004, that's still a nice chunk.

Yea...I meant 2003. It's a great donation but it was never worth the naming rights. 13 million wasn't all that much money then and the name really SUCKS (big issue IMO). Sure people have given less to other programs and got their name on the stadium (eq. Papa Johns)... ...but at some point a school should feel they're whoring themself out.

Reactions: GoWVU
After news broke on Heather's "EpiPengate" and the embarrassing way she got her eMBA degree from WVU with her daddy and Garrison's help, Mike Puskar would be embarrassed on what she had done with his company. She also took it to the Netherlands in order to avoid US taxes. It is time for Shane Lyons to cut the final tie of Fast Eddie and Garrison and drop the Puskar name from the Stadium and give Heather back her money.

We should not be taxing corporations. They leave to go where capital is treated best. So many pensions are invested in large corporations that it hurts returns. Dividends are taxed. It is just so stupid how are tax system works.

The option to drop the name would be up to the school, the money given by Mylan year's ago is a non-factor in the face of scandal like this.

WVU could name it "The Fish Bowl" after Mario and Rose. A real Morgantown institution. Not a company that gouges people with allergies to pay ridiculous prices for life saving medical devices.

I'd go with the actual name of place, but "The Fish Bowl" has a certain ring to it. Plus all longtime WVU fans know what it stands for. Big glasses of beer and good hotdogs at a fair price. It's a natural.

Anything else on the agenda for today?

Puskar did not want his name on the stadium - that is how I remember it.

He didn't require it...or didn't want it ?

I'd be pissed if I donated $20 million+ and something happened I didn't want.....

Silly...right??

Mike Puskar gave a lot of $$$$$$ to WVU in addition to what he gave in his final years.

The stuff going on with the company that he founded and grew isn't his fault. You can't blame a dead man this many years after he's been gone.

I thought naming the stadium wassumb. It will alwaysbe NewMountaineer Field.

Btw I got no love for the company. They used to experiment in broke college students back in my day. The eMBA was an embarrassment that's for sure.

I was never much for guilt by association, so Mike can keep his name on Mountaineer Field and Joe can stay in the U.S. Senate. But I'm sure Heather is an embarrassment to both of them, even the one Above.

The option to drop the name would be up to the school, the money given by Mylan year's ago is a non-factor in the face of scandal like this.

Speaking of non-factors... The current price of an EpiPen or the wellbeing of Mylan Pharmaceuticals is a non-factor when it comes to the naming rights of our stadium.

I've never been much of a fan of it myself but to try and act like Puskar's name is going to be removed because of anything that happens at the company he was previously the CEO of is straight up nonsense. The two are truly unrelated "non-factors".

Reactions: WESTBGVA
$21 million. $13 million to athletic department, rest to pharmacy department. So, who wants to fork up the $13 million to take the Pushkar name off of it?
What year was the name changed? I think naming rights for stadiums are usually purchased for 10 year periods. I doubt we could find someone to donate $13 million but I'm sure some corporation would sign a 10 year lease for $10 million. IMG is paying us $8 million per year just for our third tier rights. I see no problem with putting the name out to bid. We have honored his donation. As long as we are staying at our current location it seems ok to honor someone else for the next 10 years.

WVU could name it "The Fish Bowl" after Mario and Rose. A real Morgantown institution. Not a company that gouges people with allergies to pay ridiculous prices for life saving medical devices.

I'd go with the actual name of place, but "The Fish Bowl" has a certain ring to it. Plus all longtime WVU fans know what it stands for. Big glasses of beer and good hotdogs at a fair price. It's a natural.

Anything else on the agenda for today?
For the record, it was Mauro and Rose.
http://www.fredjenkinsfuneralhome.com/memsol.cgi?user_id=961704

What year was the name changed? I think naming rights for stadiums are usually purchased for 10 year periods. I doubt we could find someone to donate $13 million but I'm sure some corporation would sign a 10 year lease for $10 million. IMG is paying us $8 million per year just for our third tier rights. I see no problem with putting the name out to bid. We have honored his donation. As long as we are staying at our current location it seems ok to honor someone else for the next 10 years.

The difference is this wasn't purchased naming rights... how long do you leave it that way to honor a substantial donor? Permanently? If it was purchased you would have clearly defined lengths in the contract. This is a lot more ambiguous...

The difference is this wasn't purchased naming rights... how long do you leave it that way to honor a substantial donor? Permanently? If it was purchased you would have clearly defined lengths in the contract. This is a lot more ambiguous...
I don't think it should be permanent if you plan on staying in the stadium. You show your appreciation put up a statue and rebid the rights. We could be in this stadium another 25-50 years. You honor the donation and maximize revenue.

Big donation? Of course.

Enough for lifetime naming? No way.

I agree with the statue concept.

Reactions: lenny4wvu
I don't think it should be permanent if you plan on staying in the stadium. You show your appreciation put up a statue and rebid the rights. We could be in this stadium another 25-50 years. You honor the donation and maximize revenue.

Yeah, I'm not sure how long it was originally intended. They will have to walk a fine line when they remove it though to not appear to be money grubbing jerks to former/future donors.

I'm saying it may be viewed in poor taste If you tear down the old signs and replace it with Suddenlink Stadium because they gave you $5 million.

How about they tee it up against Missouri so we can have something relevant to talk about? These long summer waits are getting extremely unbearable.

M assacre Missouri

O bliterate Youngstown

U nnerve BYU

N euter Kansas State

T rample Texas Tech

A nnihilate TCU

I mpale Oklahoma State

N ail Kansas

E radicate Texas

E rectile dysfunction Oklahoma

R oll over Iowa State

S uffocate Baylor

Really? Good grief!!

How about calling it "Mountaineer Field"? That's what it should have been called all along. And, YES! I am in favor of dropping the Puskar name.

For the life of me I cannot figure out how anybody would have voted for Joe Manchin after it became abundantly clear that his daughter was "awarded" an MBA just because she was the governor's daughter and his buddy, Mike Garrison, was president, and they both had ties to Mylan Puskar, for whom she worked.

Really? Good grief!!

"Bresch joined Mylan almost by accident. After graduating from West Virginia University, she taught aerobics in San Diego before moving back to the “Wild and Wonderful” state as a 22-year-old newlywed in need of a job. Her well-connected father ran into his friend Milan Puskar at a basketball game and finagled her an interview at Puskar’s drug company. Dropping by Mylan’s executive offices, then located in a double-wide trailer in Morgantown, Bresch walked out with a job typing labels in the factory basement."

....appointed CEO minus any real or fake degree, and now earning $18.9M per year with a fake degree (...and a lot of EpiPens).

America is great -- see what "typing labels in the factory basement" can lead to?

Reactions: GoWVU
He didn't require it...or didn't want it ?

I'd be pissed if I donated $20 million+ and something happened I didn't want.....

Silly...right??

Exactly. He obviously wanted it, otherwise why did they change it? Certainly nobody else wanted it.

How about 'Bong Hit' or 'Turkey Chug'?? We could rename the parking lots 'Hangover' and 'Walk of Shame' too. I like it.[cheers]

Go fly a kite at green scene of herd less

What happened? Did you lose another bet to your herd family? None of this has anything to do with the other. Are you mad because of the EpiPen? Do you just want the stadium named for a Herd friend of yours. You have now tried this argument of silliness on 2 different boards and I am sure others as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT