ADVERTISEMENT

Thread to give opinion on stand up comics.

Op2

All-Conference
Gold Member
Mar 16, 2014
I've got Netflix, which has a lot of stand up specials. So I've been watching some.

Bill Burr is really, really, really good. I think he is my favorite of all today.

Joe Rogan is really good.

Demetri Martin is really good although (or maybe because) he's kinda different. It's pretty clear he comes up with his stuff by just observing reality closely. "Why do they call it the roof of your mouth? Isn't it really the ceiling of your mouth? This is the roof of your mouth" and then he points to the top of his head. "I think whoever decided to call it the roof of your mouth wasn't using the attic of their mouth."

I saw one by Amy Schumer and it was pretty crappy but the review I read afterwards said it was crappy compared to her earlier stuff and thus it wasn't what made her famous so I can't critique her fame in general.

Jim Gaffigan is pretty good.

I watched some Doug Stanhope and it just didn't do it for me. I didn't finish it.

I watched Trevor Noah and it was okay but nothing great.

I watched Anthony Jeselnik who I had never heard of until I read that he and Owen Benjamin were feuding. Owen Benjamin is a pretty good comedian but he has gone completely overboard with right wing politics. Some on this board would like him for that. Some of his past comedy is just plain funny but man, he needs to reign in the crazy political stuff. But anyway, Owen Benjamin for some reason said that Anthony Jeselnik had a medical procedure to have the fat sucked out of his ass, and I have no idea if it's true, but for some reason Benjamin said it and he thought it was hilarious. If so, I don't get it.

But Jeselnik then blocked Benjamin on Twitter and it became a feud. (This was before Benjamin got kicked off Twitter entirely for saying that David Hogg, the kid at the high school in Florida that had the shooting that became an activist afterwards, shouldn't tell other people what to do until he got pubes first.) But anyway, I hadn't heard of Jeselnik before that but I watched him on Netflix and he was quite good. (He's also a thin guy so it sounds weird that he'd have fat sucked out of his ass.)

Okay, enough for now, maybe I'll think of more later, but give us your opinion of stand up comics. And if you have Netflix and don't watch stand up then give it a try.

I've got Netflix, which has a lot of stand up specials. So I've been watching some.

Bill Burr is really, really, really good. I think he is my favorite of all today.

Demetri Martin is really good although (or maybe because) he's kinda different. It's pretty clear he comes up with his stuff by just observing reality closely. "Why do they call it the roof of your mouth? Isn't it really the ceiling of your mouth? This is the roof of your mouth" and then he points to the top of his head. "I think whoever decided to call it the roof of your mouth wasn't using the attic of their mouth."

I saw one by Amy Schumer and it was pretty crappy but the review I read afterwards said it was crappy compared to her earlier stuff and thus it wasn't what made her famous so I can't critique her fame in general.

I watched some Doug Stanhope and it just didn't do it for me. I didn't finish it.

I watched Anthony Jeselnik who I had never heard of until I read that he and Owen Benjamin were feuding. Owen Benjamin is a pretty good comedian but he has gone completely overboard with right wing politics. Some on this board would like him for that. Some of his past comedy is just plain funny but man, he needs to reign in the crazy political stuff. But anyway, Owen Benjamin for some reason said that Anthony Jeselnik had a medical procedure to have the fat sucked out of his ass, and I have no idea if it's true, but for some reason Benjamin said it and he thought it was hilarious. If so, I don't get it.

But Jeselnik then blocked Benjamin on Twitter and it became a feud. (This was before Benjamin got kicked off Twitter entirely for saying that David Hogg, the kid at the high school in Florida that had the shooting that became an activist afterwards, shouldn't tell other people what to do until he got pubes first.) But anyway, I hadn't heard of Jeselnik before that but I watched him on Netflix and he was quite good. (He's also a thin guy so it sounds weird that he'd have fat sucked out of his ass.)

Okay, enough for now, maybe I'll think of more later, but give us your opinion of stand up comics. And if you have Netflix and don't watch stand up then give it a try.
I can’t stand most female comics. At least those female comics that attempt to be funny through male humor or over the top sexuality. Schumer is in that category. Lisa Lampenelli is another, as is Sara Silverman.

Mitch Hedberg was one of my favorites. The rest of your list is pretty on point in your assessments.

I can’t stand most female comics. At least those female comics that attempt to be funny through male humor or over the top sexuality. Schumer is in that category. Lisa Lampenelli is another, as is Sara Silverman.

Mitch Hedberg was one of my favorites. The rest of your list is pretty on point in your assessments.

Actually I used to like Sarah Silverman a lot although she's gone over the edge politically now. I haven't seen her act lately but it's on Netflix and I just don't want to watch it because I now associate her in my mind with rabid politics and it's a turn off for me. It's the same thing with Owen Benjamin, except he's on the other wing. But one thing I used to like about Silverman was that she put good comedy ahead of PC. I haven't seen her lately but I bet her comedy has changed.

I've seen Lisa Lampenelli on some roasts and I thought she was pretty good but I haven't seen her entire act. She does sexuality stuff but it comes off natural to me. The couple times I've seen Amy Schumer do it it came up forced. I've read that Amy Schumer has been accused of stealing material but I don't know the details.

ETA: I know the name Mitch Hedberg but I'm not familiar with his act.

Actually I used to like Sarah Silverman a lot although she's gone over the edge politically now. I haven't seen her act lately but it's on Netflix and I just don't want to watch it because I now associate her in my mind with rabid politics and it's a turn off for me. It's the same thing with Owen Benjamin, except he's on the other wing. But one thing I used to like about Silverman was that she put good comedy ahead of PC. I haven't seen her lately but I bet her comedy has changed.

I've seen Lisa Lampenelli on some roasts and I thought she was pretty good but I haven't seen her entire act. She does sexuality stuff but it comes off natural to me. The couple times I've seen Amy Schumer do it it came up forced. I've read that Amy Schumer has been accused of stealing material but I don't know the details.

Mitch is dead, he overdosed about 10-12 years ago. He was awesome.

Check out the late Patrice O'Neal

Jeselnik is seriously twisted funny. You might like Daniel Tosh if you like Jeselnik's humor
Patrice’s standup was pretty good. His on air persona was some of the funniest shit I’ve heard.

We went to see Rita Rudner in Vegas a couple of times and liked her.

“My father is just about deaf and really needs hearing aids, but he’s holding-off until my mother dies.”

who hasn't gone over the edge politically?

My alltime standup fave was the black comedian who did the BEBE's kids thing....his first name was Robin..can't recall the last name

Reactions: BoremanSouth

Burr is awesome. He's great at stand up and in interviews I've seen. I'm less excited about his Netflix show "F is for Family". It's not a bad idea, but I wasn't impressed with the couple of episodes I watched.

I like Joe Rogan, but I don't think he's nearly as good as Burr. It's been ages since I've seen him do stand up, but I've caught his podcast a time or 2 when he had a good guest.

I like Demetri Martin. He's a weird dude in the mold of Steven Wright, more nerdy than dry in his delivery though. The Mitch Hedberg recommendation made by someone else is a good comparison.

I've seen Schumer do some funny stuff, but I've never seen her piece a bunch of it together in stand up. With Burr, I'm laughing the whole time. With Schumer, it's here and there at best.

I like Gaffigan a lot. I think a big part of that is the amount of recall he does in his act. He does something fairly funny, then knows how to work his way back to that in a way that makes it funnier.

Doug Stanhope is kind of funny at times. I'm not a big fan. The guy I associate with him is Bob Marley (not the reggae musician). He was in "The Boondock Saints" as one of the city cops. His stand up works for me. Maybe it's because I spent a fair amount of time in Maine in my lifetime. He's a Mainer, and he plays that up pretty well.

I could take or leave Trevor Noah. I watched his stand up right before he took over the Daily Show. He did a few good jokes, but overall, meh.

Jeselnik is twisted, and that's what I like about him. I've never heard of Benjamin. I'll have to look him up.

The Patrice O'Neal recommendation someone made is awesome. His stand up was good. His ability to make other people look bad in a roast or group interview setting was about as good as it gets. Another guy who was in the same arena as O'Neal was Greg Giraldo (also dead). He went toe-to-toe with Dennis Leary years ago on Bill Maher's "Politically Incorrect". He made Leary look bad. Giraldo was really quick witted.

I'll go to the Blue Collar guys too. I find all of them funny in their own rights, but I think Ron White is a hilarious story-telling machine.

Lastly, I like Lewis Black a lot. He goes political a fair amount, but he does the angry guy thing well. When he did the regular segment on the Daily Show, he was really in his element.

Burr is awesome. He's great at stand up and in interviews I've seen. I'm less excited about his Netflix show "F is for Family". It's not a bad idea, but I wasn't impressed with the couple of episodes I watched.

I like Joe Rogan, but I don't think he's nearly as good as Burr. It's been ages since I've seen him do stand up, but I've caught his podcast a time or 2 when he had a good guest.

I like Demetri Martin. He's a weird dude in the mold of Steven Wright, more nerdy than dry in his delivery though. The Mitch Hedberg recommendation made by someone else is a good comparison.

I've seen Schumer do some funny stuff, but I've never seen her piece a bunch of it together in stand up. With Burr, I'm laughing the whole time. With Schumer, it's here and there at best.

I like Gaffigan a lot. I think a big part of that is the amount of recall he does in his act. He does something fairly funny, then knows how to work his way back to that in a way that makes it funnier.

Doug Stanhope is kind of funny at times. I'm not a big fan. The guy I associate with him is Bob Marley (not the reggae musician). He was in "The Boondock Saints" as one of the city cops. His stand up works for me. Maybe it's because I spent a fair amount of time in Maine in my lifetime. He's a Mainer, and he plays that up pretty well.

I could take or leave Trevor Noah. I watched his stand up right before he took over the Daily Show. He did a few good jokes, but overall, meh.

Jeselnik is twisted, and that's what I like about him. I've never heard of Benjamin. I'll have to look him up.

The Patrice O'Neal recommendation someone made is awesome. His stand up was good. His ability to make other people look bad in a roast or group interview setting was about as good as it gets. Another guy who was in the same arena as O'Neal was Greg Giraldo (also dead). He went toe-to-toe with Dennis Leary years ago on Bill Maher's "Politically Incorrect". He made Leary look bad. Giraldo was really quick witted.

I'll go to the Blue Collar guys too. I find all of them funny in their own rights, but I think Ron White is a hilarious story-telling machine.

Lastly, I like Lewis Black a lot. He goes political a fair amount, but he does the angry guy thing well. When he did the regular segment on the Daily Show, he was really in his element.
Ron White apparently credits Foxworthy for teaching him everything he knows about timing and standup. That 30 min segment he did on the Blue Collar tour was one of the best comedy segments of all time.

Lewis Black has always been one of my favorites.

Geraldo was amazing as well.

Shout out to Jimmy Norton, Rich Voss, Bobby Kelly, and Louis CK.

Speaking of Owen Benjamin

He makes an appearance in the latest episode of Crowder Confronts

Speaking of Owen Benjamin

He makes an appearance in the latest episode of Crowder Confronts

Crowder and Benjamin are buds and they frequently write together. Crowder is a former actor and it shows. Whatever you think of his politics aside, he is actually pretty talented comedy-wise. I'll watch his show or read his tweets occasionally, because I like to mix it up, and although he's on the Right politically he has some of the funniest anti-Trump lines. He's just good at being funny, although with him it's always tinged with politics because that's his thing.

Owen Benjamin can do non-political comedy but I think he's doing less and less. The reality may be that it's more lucrative for him to do political comedy than straight comedy.

Here is Owen Benjamin doing men/women humor that's not political but is both insightful and funny.

Reactions: wvu2007
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT