ADVERTISEMENT

The CFP rankings are a joke

Yep I'm dominating a minor leaguer!!!
Speaking of minor league...
empty-pitt.jpg

BTW those aren't the rules. You know...first place in P5 getting in.
It's all about getting the 4 best teams in the mix for a title. Some of you guys need to get your heads in the game. Until there is a 6 or 8 team playoff with at large teams conference titles won't be the main factor. Has any of the playoff years been only conference winners in final four? Get the point?
How can you be one of the four best teams in the nation when you're in third place in your conference?

Now that the final date points are in:

#1 Alabama
#2 Clemson
#3 Washington
#4 Penn State

Nittany Lions have beaten NINE Big 10 teams in a row, including Ohio State, and won the Big 10 championship. Penn State is easily the hottest team in the Big 10.

Oh, I know the Barry Alvarez committee will twist and convolute till they justify Ohio State in its mind. But Penn State has the longest winning streak in the Big 10, and the committee ALWAYS picks teams based on how well they've finished, and not go back into ancient history to find a game to leave a team out. Right?

As for WVU, congratulations on a marvelous season, only the 9th double-digits victory season in our 125 years of playing football.

Defense saved our bacon against Kansas State, Texas and Baylor. And held SEVEN Big 12 teams to 21 points or fewer in an offense-minded conference.
I know Missouri wasn't much this year, but holding Tigers to 11 points still is impressive in today's high-scoring football.

Dana deserved his new contract. So does Tony Gibson. They can be the dynamic duo for the Mountaineers.

Final date points? It's hard to take you seriously, Buckeye hater. The Committee sent the same message that it has sent the last two seasons: DON'T LOSE A SECOND GAME, then expect to make the Playoffs!

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
Final date points? It's hard to take you seriously, Buckeye hater. The Committee sent the same message that it has sent the last two seasons: DON'T LOSE A SECOND GAME, then expect to make the Playoffs!

How about finishing higher than 3rd in your conference?

Reactions: assassin61
Identify the source of your delusional statement that Ohio State finished third in the B1G. The Buckeyes finished in a first place tie in the B1G East, and didn't play in the conference title game solely because of a tiebreaker. One thing that you fail to realize is that if there had been a three-way tie in the B1G East, Ohio State would have won the tiebreaker over Penn State and Michigan. Penn State shouldn't have gotten destroyed by Michigan AND lost to Pitt. Two losses are too many when there are an undefeated team and three one-loss teams in Power 5 conferences. Ask Bob Stoops.

How about finishing higher than 3rd in your conference?

How about Ohio State finishing higher than 3rd in Its conference. People who live in glass houses.

By the way, I know Buckeyes are insufficient in math but WVU finished SECOND in the Big 12.
Penn State was #1, Wisconsin #2 in the Big 12. So that makes Ohio State #3 in its own conference, and only because it escaped Michigan in overtime, beat a nothing Michigan State team by 1 point because the Spartans went for 2 points after a TD, escaped a 6-6 Northwestern team by 4 points.

Ohio State in the playoffs is the biggest joke of the 4 choices. Penn State has the longest winning streak in the Big 10, including beating Ohio State, so if the committee really is picking the best 4 teams as of the moment they make the selections, then there's no doubt that the Nittany Lions are the hottest team in the Big 10.

So, how about finishing higher than 3rd in YOUR conference before you diss another team for finishing tied for 2nd in its conference.

Reactions: JoePaEer
Identify the source of your delusional statement that Ohio State finished third in the B1G. The Buckeyes finished in a first place tie in the B1G East, and didn't play in the conference title game solely because of a tiebreaker. One thing that you fail to realize is that if there had been a three-way tie in the B1G East, Ohio State would have won the tiebreaker over Penn State and Michigan. Penn State shouldn't have gotten destroyed by Michigan AND lost to Pitt. Two losses are too many when there are an undefeated team and three one-loss teams in Power 5 conferences. Ask Bob Stoops.

PSU 1 Wiscy 2 OSU 3. Those are just the facts. OSU didn't win its division and didn't play in the conference championship.

Your assertion that OSU did not play in the con championship "solely because of a tiebreaker" is incorrect. They didn't play in the champ game because the lost to the team that got smacked by Michigan and lost to Pitt.

OSU couldn't win their conference so they don't deserve to to be in the top 4.

How about Ohio State finishing higher than 3rd in Its conference. People who live in glass houses.

By the way, I know Buckeyes are insufficient in math but WVU finished SECOND in the Big 12.
Penn State was #1, Wisconsin #2 in the Big 12. So that makes Ohio State #3 in its own conference, and only because it escaped Michigan in overtime, beat a nothing Michigan State team by 1 point because the Spartans went for 2 points after a TD, escaped a 6-6 Northwestern team by 4 points.

Ohio State in the playoffs is the biggest joke of the 4 choices. Penn State has the longest winning streak in the Big 10, including beating Ohio State, so if the committee really is picking the best 4 teams as of the moment they make the selections, then there's no doubt that the Nittany Lions are the hottest team in the Big 10.

So, how about finishing higher than 3rd in YOUR conference before you diss another team for finishing tied for 2nd in its conference.

Well, I'm a WVU fan so......

Look at who I quoted.

PSU 1 Wiscy 2 OSU 3. Those are just the facts. OSU didn't win its division and didn't play in the conference championship.

Your assertion that OSU did not play in the con championship "solely because of a tiebreaker" is incorrect. They didn't play in the champ game because the lost to the team that got smacked by Michigan and lost to Pitt.

TRANSLATION: You have no source for your nonsense. Only in the World of Delusion occupied by a handful of WVU fans on this board, would Wisconsin, a team that lost to Ohio State on its home field, and lost one more conference game than Ohio State would be considered No. 2 and Ohio State No. 3. No matter how many times that you post this nonsense on this board, it's still nonsense.

TRANSLATION: You have no source for your nonsense. Only in the World of Delusion occupied by a handful of WVU fans on this board, would Wisconsin, a team that lost to Ohio State on its home field, and lost one more conference game than Ohio State would be considered No. 2 and Ohio State No. 3. No matter how many times that you post this nonsense on this board, it's still nonsense.

I get that you're blinded by your inability to be objective due to your OSU homerism, but the fact remains that it's PSU, Wisconsin then OSU. Wisconsin won their division and played in the conference championship game that determines 1 and 2 in the conference.

Last edited:
So this year the 13th data point doesn't mean squat. I thought that was the key for OSU getting in over TCU 2 years ago. Committee stated this fact as tie breaker.

And Utah would CRUSH the Mountaineers, sorry.

[laughing][laughing][laughing]

Do you even watch college football?

You realize the only reason Utah beat BYU (at home) was because BYU went for two at the end of the game?

Utah lost to Oregon (4-8) at home.

[laughing][laughing][laughing]

So this year the 13th data point doesn't mean squat. I thought that was the key for OSU getting in over TCU 2 years ago. Committee stated this fact as tie breaker.
You're comparing apples to oranges. Ohio State was 12-1, and destroyed a good team to get its 12th win. TCU was 11-1. Ohio State is 11-1 and Penn State is 11-2. No two-loss team ever has been invited to the Playoffs. #Fact

I get that you're blinded by your inability to be objective due to your OSU homerism, but the fact remains that it's PSU, Wisconsin then OSU. Wisconsin won their division and played in the conference championship game that determines 1 and 2 in the conference.
Still no source for your statement that Ohio State is third in its conference? That's what I thought.

PSU beat OSU
PSU wins conference championship
OSU selected for playoffs
^^^^ Bottom line
Your argument doesn't cut it.

You're comparing apples to oranges. Ohio State was 12-1, and destroyed a good team to get its 12th win. TCU was 11-1. Ohio State is 11-1 and Penn State is 11-2. No two-loss team ever has been invited to the Playoffs. #Fact

... and no team that finished 3rd in their conference has ever been invited either. Or 2nd for that matter.
It's a BS selection and anyone who is not an OSU homer knows it.

... and no team that finished 3rd in their conference has ever been invited either. Or 2nd for that matter.
It's a BS selection and anyone who is not an OSU homer knows it.
The CFP Committee, the A.P. , and the coaches all rank Ohio State in the Top 3, so you should win a prize for posting the most idiotic statement ever on a message board.

Let me summarize the CFP committee scenario, with no attacks on any particular team: There are 128 D1 schools, 64 P5 schools (not counting Independents). There has been more parity over the last few years than ever. Often, several teams in the top 6 or 8 spots in the ranking don't play each other and sometimes don't even play common opponents. So some committee sits in a room discussing how teams played a 12 game schedule, or in some cases a 13 game schedule, using judgment on which teams are better than others to SELECT the four best teams. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the scenario is a statistical nightmare.

The system is clearly broken.

The A.P. and the Coaches polls must be broken, too. Ohio State is No. 2 in each of those polls. Yet, the CFP Committee is nuts, and only a handful of WVU fans know what's best for the nation, right?

The A.P. and the Coaches polls must be broken, too. Ohio State is No. 2 in each of those polls. Yet, the CFP Committee is nuts, and only a handful of WVU fans know what's best for the nation, right?

The post wasn't about teams nor was it about the committee. It's about process. No surprise it went over your head.

Anyone that understands statistics understands that "selecting" the best four teams in the country out of about 69 P5 teams, when many of them do not play each other and do not play common opponents is a fools errand.

Apparently conference champions are no longer invited either. #Fact

How can you be one of the four best teams in the nation when you're in third place in your conference?

You're more rational here than you are on your PSU home board. I follow and visit 4 team sites. I use to follow PSU before I got banned for calling out Eurotrash. It's ok to jump from site to site IMO with the teams you follow but you still don't realize that most in America don't view PSU as better than OSU. Michigan either. It was easy for the committee to put PSU in front of Michigan at the end because it didn't matter. If Washington or Clemson loses Michigan was in the final four. Penn St had an unbelievable year. Top 4 consideration for sure! But Washington won the PAC so they deserved it. Clemson and Bama deserve getting in. So it comes down to OSU and PSU. You have to come to grips with conference title being secondary in this instance. The Committee proved that was the case. So is PSU better than OSU? IMO probably not. With that said your program looks to be back. Enjoy!

You're more rational here than you are on your PSU home board. I follow and visit 4 team sites. I use to follow PSU before I got banned for calling out Eurotrash. It's ok to jump from site to site IMO with the teams you follow but you still don't realize that most in America don't view PSU as better than OSU. Michigan either. It was easy for the committee to put PSU in front of Michigan at the end because it didn't matter. If Washington or Clemson loses Michigan was in the final four. Penn St had an unbelievable year. Top 4 consideration for sure! But Washington won the PAC so they deserved it. Clemson and Bama deserve getting in. So it comes down to OSU and PSU. You have to come to grips with conference title being secondary in this instance. The Committee proved that was the case. So is PSU better than OSU? IMO probably not. With that said your program looks to be back. Enjoy!

So, using your logic, WVU is better than Oklahoma State. Sure, we lost to them head to head, but we beat a team, Baylor, that they lost to and we ended up with a better record, 10-2 versus 9-3. Sound like the PSU-Ohio State argument? Sure, PSU won head to head but Ohio State beat Michigan who beat PSU but Ohio State ended up with a better record 11-1 versus 11-2.

For the record, I'm not saying we are better than Oklahoma State.

Does the Big10 give 2nd place recognition in the form of a final ranking or second place trophy? Or, are some of you just making that up on a free message board? Don't know the answer. I mean Auburn is going to the Sugar Bowl but Florida is ranked 2nd in SEC according to your logic. OSU deserves to go to Playoffs to most rational fans. If a two loss team ever deserved to go it would be PSU. Poster made a good point. Playoffs aren't meant for the two loss teams. Once you lose two games move along. What does Vages say about PSU vs USC. I'm sure PSU is giving points right. Wonder what Vegas would say about PSU vs Oklahoma. I'm sure PSU would be giving points in that too right?

Make it simple JY. Provide the Big10 link that shows that the Big10 recognizes the loser of the Championship game as the 2nd place finisher of a final fully ranked Big10 order. Or is Wisky put in the "runner up" category so no feelings are hurt? Hey we're is Iowa ranked in the Big10 final rankings you've seen?

So, using your logic, WVU is better than Oklahoma State. Sure, we lost to them head to head, but we beat a team, Baylor, that they lost to and we ended up with a better record, 10-2 versus 9-3. Sound like the PSU-Ohio State argument? Sure, PSU won head to head but Ohio State beat Michigan who beat PSU but Ohio State ended up with a better record 11-1 versus 11-2.

For the record, I'm not saying we are better than Oklahoma State.

No one that watched that game would come away thinking that WVU was better football team than OkieSt on that day. There are millions of people that would say after the OSU/PSU game OSU was the better football team. Sometimes better football teams, under certain circumstances, can lose to a lesser team on a given day. Anyone that has played sports know this can occur. So to me your connecting the dots is off. But I get that there is definitely an argument that PSU beat OSU.

Does the Big10 give 2nd place recognition in the form of a final ranking or second place trophy? Or, are some of you just making that up on a free message board? Don't know the answer. I mean Auburn is going to the Sugar Bowl but Florida is ranked 2nd in SEC according to your logic. Florida St is going to Orange Bowl but VaTech is ranked 2nd in ACC according to your logic. OSU deserves to go to Playoffs to most rational fans. If a two loss team ever deserved to go it would be PSU. Poster made a good point. Playoffs aren't meant for the two loss teams. Once you lose two games move along. What does Vages say about PSU vs USC. I'm sure PSU is giving points right. Wonder what Vegas would say about PSU vs Oklahoma. I'm sure PSU would be giving points in that too right?

Does the Big10 give 2nd place recognition in the form of a final ranking or second place trophy? Or, are some of you just making that up on a free message board? Don't know the answer. I mean Auburn is going to the Sugar Bowl but Florida is ranked 2nd in SEC according to your logic. And, Florida St is going to Orange Bowl even though VaTech finished 2nd in ACC according to your logic. OSU deserves to go to Playoffs to most rational fans. If a two loss team ever deserved to go it would be PSU. Poster made a good point. Playoffs aren't meant for the two loss teams. Once you lose two games move along. What does Vages say about PSU vs USC. I'm sure PSU is giving points right. Wonder what Vegas would say about PSU vs Oklahoma. I'm sure PSU would be giving points in that too right?

Make it simple JY. Provide the Big10 link that shows that the Big10 recognizes the loser of the Championship game as the 2nd place finisher

WMU rowing to Cotton Bowl to play Big 10 runner-up Wisconsin

A runner-up is a participant who finishes in second place in any of a variety of competitive endeavors

homer-simpson-doh.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT