ADVERTISEMENT

Texas governor trying to force in Houston

Thx for the update... ...didn't see it in all the other threads.

Next you'll start an 'Expansion Dead' thread.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
Thx for the update... ...didn't see it in all the other threads.

Next you'll start an 'Expansion Dead' thread.

They let you out of your hole again? Sorry I don't spend all day on the board and I'm not going to start going through every thread to meet your ego's approval of what to post or not.

CLUE: IF YOU DON"T WANT TO READ WHAT I POST DON"T. ppsssstt--you aren't important and no one will mind...idiot.

If I could own a person he'd have your name.

So easy.

Have a feeling that UT is pushing for BYU and Houston and thats what the networks want as well.

That's a problem for WVU.

Houston to Morgantown: 1346 miles
BYU to Morgantown: 1927miles

If the conference adds those two then they need to add teams closer to WVU as well or drop the $5 million payback and pony up a travel stipend for the Mountaineers.

Are closer teams really going to save huge (worth discussing) amounts of money ?

WVU needs to endorse what's best for our conference. ...and it will.

Reactions: BobbyBoucheer
Are closer teams really going to save huge (worth discussing) amounts of money ?

WVU needs to endorse what's best for our conference. ...and it will.

WVU needs to endorse what's best for WVU, and if the conference goes against those wishes, then we know where we stand.

Reactions: bluesjoc
the way I understood the criteria for sellecting teams was there potential for growth. I wouldn't mind Cincy except for the fact that they would be in the middle of a newer pipeline we have developed recently in southern Ohio. and I am not sure there is that much room for growth for them as a program since they are always going to be in the shadows of Ohio State. Memphis has FedX behind them, and they would pump money in to that program and the Liberty bowl has a lot of seating. potential and they don't step on our recruiting toes. Houston is probably deserving and as a WVU fan any school that takes talent away from the other Texas schools is ok with me, except the distance. would prefer eastern team like ECU more. In a way ECU is more like us, they love there Football, they fill there stadium, they are right on the fringe of multiple markets so they draw students from VA, and SC aswell. like it that they are football centric. Uconn, not football centric, super far from most of the Big12, not nessesarily the travel partner I would want, always hated away games there. and they stink in FB. C.Florida, huge enrollment, big market that is still growing, and Scott Frost is a riser, have a feeling that if they joined a power 5 they would blow up big time. now that is potential! and we can still sell kids on getting out of the cities and get away from home like we have in the past plus the added incentive of being able to play in there home state while here. BYU, like there history, don't like that they won't play on sundays, well if they want in they gotta give in would be my reply to them. there the ones pissing away money.

My four would be: Houston, ECU, Memphis, and C.Florida --------I know that BYU will be included most likely, the same with Cincy but for WVU's well being I hope there not!

Would people please stop with the F'ing travel partner bullshit.

disgusted-o.gif

Would people please stop with the F'ing travel partner bullshit.

disgusted-o.gif

Travel partner is bigger BS than the likelihood of adding multiple G5 commuter schools being the reason that will make someone stay when they're already looking at other options. You don't adopt orphans if you think you're heading for a divorce.

I hope the egos in TX put a stop to this. We are gonna ruin the best conference and schedule ever.

I think tracel partner is misunderstood.

Travel is expensive. Wvu having a travel pertner means that when UT ir Ou fly some if their tems to WVU they can then bus- or have a short flight to a nearby school and cut down on expenses before heading home.

Im sure its important to those paying

Cincy is really the only travel partner available because it is the only school remotely possible via bus at just over 300 miles. Storrs is about 525 miles away, Memphis over 700 miles away, Florida schools are just as far as Iowa State. All those are plane rides. I think, in the end, travel partner issues for WVU are not going to be the deciding factor in who gets added. The conference would probably save money by granting WVU an extra travel stipend instead.

Cincy is really the only travel partner available because it is the only school remotely possible via bus at just over 300 miles. Storrs is about 525 miles away, Memphis over 700 miles away, Florida schools are just as far as Iowa State. All those are plane rides. I think, in the end, travel partner issues for WVU are not going to be the deciding factor in who gets added. The conference would probably save money by granting WVU an extra travel stipend instead.
Maybe a stretch, but ECU

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...overnor-greg-abbott-houston-cougars/87389168/

Wow these Texas people have big egos.

The BIG 12 needs an expanded footprint, not more teams kissing UT's @$$.

The Gov should keep his nose out of the BIG12s business. UH is a horrible pick and does adds little value to BIG12.

Plus, why would any Texas program want to add another Texas school to siphon away Texas recruits?

Good news is with TCU and BU being private schools, the Texas Gov can only blackmail 2 of the 4 Texas Program. Bad news is one of them is TexA$$.

With WVU's luck, they will go with BYU and UH going back on their word to bring in a travel partner if expansion occurs.

Maybe a stretch, but ECU
I have made the trip (driving) to Greenville more than once. Nearly 500 miles. If I had the money I would fly rather than drive a bus that far. They do have great fan support but I don't think the BIG12 will ever seriously consider them.

I have made the trip (driving) to Greenville more than once. Nearly 500 miles. If I had the money I would fly rather than drive a bus that far. They do have great fan support but I don't think the BIG12 will ever seriously consider them.
Accidemics, specificlly total endowment will keep them out

Houston, Texas, which is soon to be the third-largest populace in the United States. To me, it’s a no-brainer. I’m just kind of shocked it’s not an automatic.

WVU needs to endorse what's best for WVU, and if the conference goes against those wishes, then we know where we stand.

...and will need to adjust our view of staying in this conference long term.

What folks aren't getting is that this isn't just about football and men's basketball that make money. This is also about our olympic sports that lose money already and have way more road games than the football team does. It's also about the families of those athletes that can't just hitch a ride to those games.

I'm not saying that we should leave the minute BYU and Houston are announced. I would

a) refuse to sign a new GOR..I'm certain that has to unanimous to get done

b) I would start talking to the SEC. It might be a pipe dream, but if the SEC wants to expand before 2036 with a P5 team, then the options are limited. I know our current GOR is 10 years out...but getting a pulse wouldn't hurt.

What folks aren't getting is that this isn't just about football and men's basketball that make money. This is also about our olympic sports that lose money already and have way more road games than the football team does. It's also about the families of those athletes that can't just hitch a ride to those games.

I'm not saying that we should leave the minute BYU and Houston are announced. I would

b) I would start talking to the SEC. It might be a pipe dream, but if the SEC wants to expand before 2036 with a P5 team, then the options are limited. I know our current GOR is 10 years out...but getting a pulse wouldn't hurt.

If the B12 offered 4 new teams, against WVU's lobbying, just spitballing - but I think that provides WVU with a legitimate argument to fight the current GOR.

It's at least probably good enough to scare the conference into a settlement.

That would be a dramatic change in the makeup of the conference.

I dont think something like that will happen though. I just like thinking of scenarios.

Arguments over "travel partner" are silly. However, travel concerns are real. There are two main reasons why a couple of regional additions are needed for WVU (the way they already exist for Texas schools). First, the conference covers sports other than just football and basketball. Minor sports teams flying 1,500 miles to compete at a total cost versus income could be a killer in the future. WVU teams simply travel more and spend more because of travel needs than conference mates, especially Texas schools.They come to Morgantown once a year at the most. WVU on the other hand boards a plane at least half the time! Adding a couple bus trip schools and having two divisions would go a long way to softening costs. Second, yes the Mountaineers can still play out of conference games against regional non conference opponents, but the importance will continue to decay. In addition, the opportunity to more easily travel to a couple conference foes would go a long way to increasing fan participation now and in the future. Fans need a real connection not just a cyber one. WVU should plead hard for at least two of the additions to be (among those being considered): Cincinnati and either Memphis or UConn. ACC schools are not coming. Big 10 schools not coming. SEC schools not coming. Temple, Navy, ECU are not on the short list. Florida schools, although attractive) are not "bus rides."

I could never figure out why the Big-12 picked Baylor over Houston to begin with. At the time the league was formed Houston was the far superior candidate.

I could never figure out why the Big-12 picked Baylor over Houston to begin with. At the time the league was formed Houston was the far superior candidate.
Same reason your seeing Houston being talked about now. Texas politics, The original offer from the Big8 was for Texas and aTm only. Governor Ann Richards a Baylor alum threw a fit. Big8 came very close to telling them all that it was a no deal
The reason i don't want Houston is because it still has Art Briles finger prints all over it
Briles was finally busted in Waco. but he left a culture behind him everywhere he coaches. You have to remember Briles came up through the HS ranks of Texas during the old SWC days. The things that go on in the SEC is mild compared to the SWC

Last edited:
Travel partner is bigger BS than the likelihood of adding multiple G5 commuter schools being the reason that will make someone stay when they're already looking at other options. You don't adopt orphans if you think you're heading for a divorce.

I hope the egos in TX put a stop to this. We are gonna ruin the best conference and schedule ever.
It's too late. We're going to get Eastern Northern Commuter University with a dinky stadium and empty seats for games, while we watch Texas and OU head elsewhere.

If the B12 offered 4 new teams, against WVU's lobbying, just spitballing - but I think that provides WVU with a legitimate argument to fight the current GOR.

It's at least probably good enough to scare the conference into a settlement.

That would be a dramatic change in the makeup of the conference.

I dont think something like that will happen though. I just like thinking of scenarios.

Agree WVU should look into other conferences if the league chooses to expand only west- Or the conference must drop the $5 million repayment for wvu's loan and also add a travel stipend for WVU.

WVU paid $20,000,000 to protect the conference's tv contracts and helped them remain a viable conference and get a $5 million increase per existing school. WVU agreed to pay back $5 million of a loan and also took a partial share for years when there really is nothing to buy into like a conference network.

The conference needs to make concessions for that.

For better or worse our home in a P5 conference is tied to the success of the BIG12. WVU should push for 4 teams, extension of TV contract and GOR for an additional 10 years

Same reason your seeing Houston being talked about now. Texas politics, The original offer from the Big8 was for Texas and aTm only. Governor Ann Richards a Baylor alum threw a fit. Big8 came very close to telling them all that it was a no deal
The reason i don't want Houston is because it still has Art Briles finger prints all over it
Briles was finally busted in Waco. but he left a culture behind him everywhere he coaches. You have to remember Briles came up through the HS ranks of Texas during the old SWC days. The things that go on in the SEC is mild compared to the SWC

Briles strikes me as the Lou Holtz of his era. Everywhere they go, probation strikes.

I remember the Sure We Cheat in it's glory days. The SEC at least tried to keep that stuff behind the curtains. The SWC was loud and proud about it.

Have to remember that Virginia's governor lobbied to get Va Tech into the ACC. It does work.

If Texas is pushing Houston they'll be added.

The question is what other schools will be?

BYU is extremely far west- the conference MUST bridge in WVUs direction or compensate WVu for the extensive travel no one else faces.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT