ADVERTISEMENT

Texas governor trying to force in Houston

For better or worse our home in a P5 conference is tied to the success of the BIG12. WVU should push for 4 teams, extension of TV contract and GOR for an additional 10 years

Gee needs to be pushing heavily for a GOR extension and four teams rather than just two.

The conference better push for an improvement to the tv contract.

With a $90 million athletic budget and a $4 million profit, WVU asking for financial concessions from the B12 is much like someone making $50,000 per year asking for food stamps. It may be right in principal, but it would lack credibility.

WVU has to travel every game a long way to every away conference event.

Everyone else has to travel teams ONCE for WVU.

Travel costs money and WVu is spending a tremendous amount more than others for it. Theyve made huge financial sacrifices yo strengthen the BIG 12 and deserve more than a little consideration

Reactions: Rootmaster

Travel costs money and WVu is spending a tremendous amount more than others for it. Theyve made huge financial sacrifices yo strengthen the BIG 12 and deserve more than a little consideration

They certainly deserve it, but it would set a precedence for any other eastern schools under consideration for membership. That would discourage the western schools from admitting them and likely keep WVU from having a conference foe fans could reasonably travel to.

It's a trade off. WVU is making a tremendous amount of money as a Big 12 member with a chance to make significantly more.

Maybe we should hope the NCAA disbands, all sports but football be dropped, and ESPN/FOX become the sole decision maker on who is "in the club" and who gets to buy a ticket. We are living in an age of college athletics insanity.

I think UH earned it when they beat three ranked teams last season and topped it off by putting a smackdown on FSU in the Peach Bowl. They will need to expand the stadium and can well afford it.

Being brought in as part of the UT voting block may backfire. The two schools pretty much do not get along. The billionaire head of Houston's Board of Governors recently asked if Texas was "Scared to play Houston."

I think UH earned it when they beat three ranked teams last season and topped it off by putting a smackdown on FSU in the Peach Bowl. They will need to expand the stadium and can well afford it.

Being brought in as part of the UT voting block may backfire. The two schools pretty much do not get along. The billionaire head of Houston's Board of Governors recently asked if Texas was "Scared to play Houston."

One year doesn't earn it.

Reactions: CAJUNEER
As long as the money is rolled up in the sock, it's all good. If it's your wacky Aunt telling you "Take care of those socks, they cost me 7 million dollars." it's another matter.

They certainly deserve it, but it would set a precedence for any other eastern schools under consideration for membership. That would discourage the western schools from admitting them and likely keep WVU from having a conference foe fans could reasonably travel to.

It's a trade off. WVU is making a tremendous amount of money as a Big 12 member with a chance to make significantly more.

Disagree because other schools wont have been responsible for helping save the conference on verge of collapse. WVU made huge sacrifices that the new schools will not.

There is also a necessity of some sort of cohesion to a conference. WVU remaining an outlier isnt good. There needs to be members in between.

With Cincinnati and Memphis the league would add two schools whose fanbases want to be a part of this conference and that are going to do whats needed to grow with the conference. They can both beat other P5 conferences teams in football and basketball. They both open up recruiting in fertile areas. They add lots of tv homes and potential subscribers for a future network.

Disagree because other schools wont have been responsible for helping save the conference on verge of collapse. WVU made huge sacrifices that the new schools will not.

There is also a necessity of some sort of cohesion to a conference. WVU remaining an outlier isnt good. There needs to be members in between.

With Cincinnati and Memphis the league would add two schools whose fanbases want to be a part of this conference and that are going to do whats needed to grow with the conference. They can both beat other P5 conferences teams in football and basketball. They both open up recruiting in fertile areas. They add lots of tv homes and potential subscribers for a future network.

I agree with what you're saying, I just see no chance of WVU receiving a special stipend to cover travel costs. If they want extra money, let's get those games that can only be seen on local broadcast on live HD streaming video for about $15 each. IMG can do it and I would gladly pay it.

I agree with what you're saying, I just see no chance of WVU receiving a special stipend to cover travel costs. If they want extra money, let's get those games that can only be seen on local broadcast on live HD streaming video for about $15 each. IMG can do it and I would gladly pay it.

I dont think its out of the question that if the conference adds more teams further out then theyll accomodate WVU in some way for that. No other schools will endure such a heavy travel load and although it hasnt been shown-- the conference probably discussed adding teams closer to WVU when WVU made all the concessions to join and help save the conference.

I dont think its out of the question that if the conference adds more teams further out then theyll accomodate WVU in some way for that. No other schools will endure such a heavy travel load and although it hasnt been shown-- the conference probably discussed adding teams closer to WVU when WVU made all the concessions to join and help save the conference.

Hey, $31 million to WVU instead of $30.4 would be great! I just think adding another eastern team is the only concession they will get.

I'm not sure adding a team in the east is so much a concession to WVU as it is simply good business. A major metropolitan area would help add to the B12 media footprint and assist in pushing ESPN to renegotiate the current contract in exchange for an extension of the GOR.

WVU did not save the BIG12, the BIG12 saved WVU

Moving to BIG12 made WVU the big winner, not the BIG12. At the time the only other option for WVU was the AAC, which makes less than 2 million on TV contract. Also at the time, the BIG12 could have taken UofL which is closer than WVU.

WVU is thrilled to be in the BIG12, and would make the same decision again without asking for additional compensation.

Reactions: michaelwalkerbr
The only financial sacrifice WVU made was exiting the Big East and that expense is justified by the income from B12 membership.

The real sacrifice is time. Our student athletes sacrifice more of their time in the B12 than athletes from other member universities.

Bob Huggins mentioned some of the travel and scheduling issues after the first season in the B12, none were financial, and if I recall the conference did make some adjustments to address them.

WVU was aware of the conference's geography before they accepted entrance.

Life's tough, buy a helmet.

Honestly, would you rather take a four hour trip on a chartered bus or plane? Flying west is easy, flying east gives you jet lag.
Except for being uneasy about flying it does not matter that much. But you are correct the timezone are an issue, especially for late games.

Incoming Texas Tech President Lawrence Schovanec added his voice yesterday to those of the governor and UT in including UH as a member of the Big 12. Billionaire member of the UH Board of Directors Tilman Ferttita lists the following selling points for Houston's inclusion:

• A 13-1 2015 with a win over Florida State in the Peach Bowl, and a 2016 with hopes of another New Year’s bowl.
  • A school-record 23,000 season tickets sold to 40,000-seat TDECU Stadium, up from 15,000 season tickets in 2014. The stadium was completed in 2014 but designed for expansion up to 60,000.
  • A Labor Day weekend game vs. Oklahoma in Houston’s NFL stadium on ABC, a game scheduled two years prior that’s now a well-timed showcase.
  • $240 million in athletic facilities upgrades, with a new football practice facility and a massive renovation of the basketball arena both on the way.
His bias his obvious, but his points are valid. I'm not sure what the Oklahoma game has to do with it unless UH wins. I'm still undecided, but think UH should only be included if the expansion goes to four. Another reason is the UT president insists there will be no expansion without UH. He only needs one more vote to back it up and TCU would not be there without the support of UT.

WVU was on a football roll (rep wise) when the Big 12-2=10 needed two teams to survive. WVU was about to cast to the non-power conference desert. It was a marriage of convenience. Adding TCU evened the scales for Texas schools. And, all the verbal consternation in the world is not going to change the fact that the conference is Texas concentric. What Texas politicians want they get. Houston and Cincinnati (to appease WVU) will be number 11 and 12. Number 13 and 14 gets dicey. Just get it done and move on. Just sayin'

Interesting aside on this expansion thing....lots of chatter here in FL about UCFs chances to be a number 13 or 14. Not a lot of talk or expectations for USF however.

WVU made a huge sacrifice of a very public departure from the Big East. Trolls still abound all over the internet trashing WVUs reputation from that situation today.

Of course the huge financial commitment to depart early--over $20,000 left behind was also a big sacrifice. On top of that WVU STILL has to pay back $5 million for a loan from the conference. The only other school switching conferences that had to endure such a hardship was Maryland--and the Big Ten gave them a $30 million "travel stipend"--and a private donor gave them another $30 million to help them out.

WVU? A $10 mil loan with $5 million to pay back to the conference.

WVU also agreed to take a lesser share from the conference for several years despite the fact that if WVU had not joined the conference the tv contracts would have been jeopardized.

WVU took on huge travel costs to do that and the sports programs have had some difficulty adjusting overall to the added travel.

The conference is not just there to cater to Texas its got to look out for all members.

If it were only that simple...however I agree. WVU did the giving in the negotiations at that point in time.

Incoming Texas Tech President Lawrence Schovanec added his voice yesterday to those of the governor and UT in including UH as a member of the Big 12. Billionaire member of the UH Board of Directors Tilman Ferttita lists the following selling points for Houston's inclusion:

• A 13-1 2015 with a win over Florida State in the Peach Bowl, and a 2016 with hopes of another New Year’s bowl.
  • A school-record 23,000 season tickets sold to 40,000-seat TDECU Stadium, up from 15,000 season tickets in 2014. The stadium was completed in 2014 but designed for expansion up to 60,000.
  • A Labor Day weekend game vs. Oklahoma in Houston’s NFL stadium on ABC, a game scheduled two years prior that’s now a well-timed showcase.
  • $240 million in athletic facilities upgrades, with a new football practice facility and a massive renovation of the basketball arena both on the way.
His bias his obvious, but his points are valid. I'm not sure what the Oklahoma game has to do with it unless UH wins. I'm still undecided, but think UH should only be included if the expansion goes to four. Another reason is the UT president insists there will be no expansion without UH. He only needs one more vote to back it up and TCU would not be there without the support of UT.

Are you saying that if TCU is on board they will derail expansion unless UH is invited?

The way I see it TT and TexA$$ can both be blackmailed by Texas Governor, Baylor, TCU, and the rest of the conference can not. Now it just depends how much of an Ass TexA$$ wants to be in order to get their way. If they are just playacting, then UH is not getting in.

The Big XII were idiots for not having Houston in years ago when the Big 12 North left. It's just a natural move, just as it was when they included UH in the Southwest Conference around 1970 or so. Having a team there in that huge market is only a good thing, unless you'd rather have the ACC or SEC be there at some future date.

BYU is the obvious next choice, but there are a lot of obstacles there with Saturday sports and how UTx would greet the BYU Network and how funds would be arranged....The only way a Cincinnati gets in is if BYU doesn't work out. But they'd better work it out, because I don't think the Pac 12 will let them in, unless Colorado jumps back to the Big 12, which I doubt.

The idea that WVU has enough pull or that the Big XII feels obligated to help WVU and therefore let Cincy in is ridiculous. We're here by the grace of OU and TX and we have our life raft.

We did not save the conference. They could have picked UL, or any other team that needed a landing spot.

WVU made a huge sacrifice of a very public departure from the Big East. Trolls still abound all over the internet trashing WVUs reputation from that situation today.

Of course the huge financial commitment to depart early--over $20,000 left behind was also a big sacrifice. On top of that WVU STILL has to pay back $5 million for a loan from the conference. The only other school switching conferences that had to endure such a hardship was Maryland--and the Big Ten gave them a $30 million "travel stipend"--and a private donor gave them another $30 million to help them out.

WVU also agreed to take a lesser share from the conference for several years despite the fact that if WVU had not joined the conference the tv contracts would have been jeopardized.

WVU took on huge travel costs to do that and the sports programs have had some difficulty adjusting overall to the added travel.

The conference is not just there to cater to Texas its got to look out for all members.

They took that deal. They knew what it was, and had the stomach for it. They didn't complain about it then, and they aren't complaining now. Only you are and you don't speak for WVU (even though you pretend it).

If WVU didn't take the deal, a different school would have and it's not Maryland's fault someone stepped up for them financially.

Are you saying that if TCU is on board they will derail expansion unless UH is invited?

The way I see it TT and TexA$$ can both be blackmailed by Texas Governor, Baylor, TCU, and the rest of the conference can not. Now it just depends how much of an Ass TexA$$ wants to be in order to get their way. If they are just playacting, then UH is not getting in.

UT and TT presidents are openly supporting the admission of Houston. What the fans, ADs and others think means nothing. The coaches favor UH and BYU. To answer your question, yes. UT president's words, not mine.

The Big XII were idiots for not having Houston in years ago when the Big 12 North left. It's just a natural move, just as it was when they included UH in the Southwest Conference around 1970 or so. Having a team there in that huge market is only a good thing, unless you'd rather have the ACC or SEC be there at some future date.

BYU is the obvious next choice, but there are a lot of obstacles there with Saturday sports and how UTx would greet the BYU Network and how funds would be arranged....The only way a Cincinnati gets in is if BYU doesn't work out. But they'd better work it out, because I don't think the Pac 12 will let them in, unless Colorado jumps back to the Big 12, which I doubt.

The idea that WVU has enough pull or that the Big XII feels obligated to help WVU and therefore let Cincy in is ridiculous. We're here by the grace of OU and TX and we have our life raft.

No arguments here except you meant Sunday instead of Saturday and Oklahoma tried to get Louisville in instead. In retrospect they should have taken them both plus one more at the time.

We did not save the conference. They could have picked UL, or any other team that needed a landing spot.

They took that deal. They knew what it was, and had the stomach for it. They didn't complain about it then, and they aren't complaining now. Only you are and you don't speak for WVU (even though you pretend it).

If WVU didn't take the deal, a different school would have and it's not Maryland's fault someone stepped up for them financially.

You don't speak for WVU, and WVU hasn't spoken out about any of these recent developments.

When WVU "took the deal" there was a belief by many around WVU that promises were made for expansion with closer schools--not more schools farther away.

For the good of the conference long term that only makes sense.

Cincinnati is the best all around candidate. They have the market, the athletics, the academics, fan support, tv households and ability to be competitive with top level teams in more than one sport. They have corporate support and the geography to fit with the conference. No Sunday issues there--they can be a full and complete member without demands.

A school like Memphis is a longer shot due to academic standing currently--but they have a pledge of $500 million in academic upgrades which fits with Bowlsby's description of growing with the conference.

They have demonstrated tremendous fan support when playing major competition and have success now in more than one sport.

The conference has described not doing a disservice to West Virginia which has been a good member--and hopefully they will keep that pledge by not moving further away and increasing WVUs burden with so much travel.

Last edited:

Travel cost? Who gives a crap about Travel costs? Without the BIG12 WVU would have ended up in the AAC, making 3 million from that conference. Instead WVU added a few million in travel costs but getS 30 mill per year and growing. WVU is very happy where they are. The only concessions they have and will continue to ask for is easier travel schedule, which the BIG12 has done do far. Enough said.

Travel cost? Who gives a crap about Travel costs? Without the BIG12 WVU would have ended up in the AAC, making 3 million from that conference. Instead WVU added a few million in travel costs but getS 30 mill per year and growing. WVU is very happy where they are. The only concessions they have and will continue to ask for is easier travel schedule, which the BIG12 has done do far. Enough said.

I'd say WVU cares about travel costs. Ask Gee or Lyons if they care about travel costs--or any of the people involved in WVUs bills. It doesn't do them any good to continue adding to those costs while other league members (and other conferences members they are in competition with for fans and recruits) do not.

Adding more schools farther away doesn't help WVUs travel schedule either--it increases the burden.

Here's a great example--a picture- of why the BIG 12 MUST expand eastward for the future:

afDEuHe.png

found on a UConn board--the map is made up of one dot per person. West of the current BIG 12 there are not many dots compared to east.

You don't speak for WVU, and WVU hasn't spoken out about any of these recent developments.

When WVU "took the deal" there was a belief by many around WVU....

Buck, you're always good for a laugh.

So another poster doesn't speak for WVU yet you're very comfortable expressing the beliefs of unnamed people who also didn't 'speak out' ?

You never let me down.

I'd say WVU cares about travel costs. Ask Gee or Lyons if they care about travel costs--or any of the people involved in WVUs bills. It doesn't do them any good to continue adding to those costs while other league members (and other conferences members they are in competition with for fans and recruits) do not.

Adding more schools farther away doesn't help WVUs travel schedule either--it increases the burden.
No doubt, but what would you rather have, BIG12 membership and a chit load more money, or AAC membership

Steve...watch out bringing up the ACC card now considering their new deal and GOR extension security lol.

Just for perspective:

WVU to UT - 1,401 miles
WVU to Texas Tech - 1,466 miles
WVU to Oklahoma - 1,112 miles
WVU to KSU - 1,094 miles

Miami to Syracuse - 1,420 miles
Miami to BC - 1,495 miles
Miami to Pitt - 1,015 miles
Miami to ND - 1,340 miles

Rutgers to Nebraska - 1,473 miles
Rutgers to Iowa - 1,125 miles
Rutgers to Minnesota - 1,187 miles