ADVERTISEMENT

Stagnation

Nobody to hire if DH goes? Well Florida has a short list which includes new and old names. But then if you are WVU... again...why try to be great when you can settle for being so-so? Just sayin'
I know, these guys act like WVU is a dead end coaching job. There’s plenty of guys we could get. They act like we are Toledo or Bowling Green.

All coaches are 'in over their head' if they don't produce enough wins to keep the fanbase happy. How many wins does a WV coach have to produce in order to keep fans happy? Well, we don't know since it has never happened. Trust me, Holgs will never make the fans happy. The next coach won't either. Get over it. Warez
Holgs would start making more people happy if he would do better than 1-10 in your last 11 games against ranked teams. Losing to former rivals with a 2nd year coach doesn't help either. Maybe if you spent as much time considering facts like these as you do trying to figure out your next screen name then maybe you'd understand for a change.

DH's biggest win occurred with Bill Stewart's players (Orange Bowl)...
Not really true. Those were RR's RJR's, SR's and 5th year SR's. The next couple years were where Bill's players were upper classmen.

And we're not Florida who's Coach my be fired after 1 losing season. Better yet we're not FSU who are having their first losing season since 1976. Here's a even better idea let's have a bunch of coach turnover and never be competitive again (Tennessee, Pitt ect...)

Unless a proven candidate for Head Coach is considered, best to just avoid hotshot coordinators or the flavor of the day Coach. It's best to have consistency and HC stability e.g keep Holgrosen for now.
Right! You don't make a change in football coach or the business where you work unless it will be BETTER than what you have.

Oliver Luck got Dana, which Pitt was clamoring to get, because he thought Dana would be a better fit than Bill Stewart, partially because Dana was so familiar with the Big 12, WVU's new conference affiliation.

Florida got Jim McElwaine from Colorado State. He's gone after 2 1/2 seasons!

Tennessee grabbed Butch Jones, a hot catch from Central Michigan and Cincinnati. Not working.

Nebraska got Mike Riley from Oregon State, where he never finished first in 14 seasons. Not happy with him now. Athletic director already toast.

It's a crapshoot. You dump Dana (and I have been critical of him over the years), then what? Who do you get that will guarantee that he does better than Dana, year after year?

Right! You don't make a change in football coach or the business where you work unless it will be BETTER than what you have.

Oliver Luck got Dana, which Pitt was clamoring to get, because he thought Dana would be a better fit than Bill Stewart, partially because Dana was so familiar with the Big 12, WVU's new conference affiliation.

Tennessee grabbed Butch Jones, a hot catch from Central Michigan and Cincinnati. Not working.

Nebraska got Mike Riley from Oregon State, where he never finished first in 14 seasons. Not happy with him now. Athletic director already toast.

It's a crapshoot. You dump Dana (and I have been critical of him over the years), then what? Who do you get that will guarantee that he does better than Dana, year after year?
What guarantee is there that a new coach would automatically do worse than Dana since he’s been hired? Our program has been no better than middle of the B12 since he has taken over. A B12 conference, by the way, that has generally been underperforming. I say give him next year. No excuses, we need to compete for the conference next year or show him the door. I’m not anti-Dana, but at some point we deserve results

What guarantee is there that a new coach would automatically do worse than Dana since he’s been hired? Our program has been no better than middle of the B12 since he has taken over. A B12 conference, by the way, that has generally been underperforming. I say give him next year. No excuses, we need to compete for the conference next year or show him the door. I’m not anti-Dana, but at some point we deserve results
Give him until next year? I thought we gave him a 5 year deal last year...How much is his buyout?

You're missing the point. Nothing guarantees WVU can get a better coach. But WVU will never get a better coach if the don't try. Just like the stock market, high risk, high reward. Low risk, low reward. WVU has to take big risks and Dana was one. He hasn't met the expectations set forth by Luck when he was hired, so cut your losses and take another risk. WVU will NEVER compete for a national championship unless it takes huge risks.

You're missing the point. Nothing guarantees WVU can get a better coach. But WVU will never get a better coach if the don't try. Just like the stock market, high risk, high reward. Low risk, low reward. WVU has to take big risks and Dana was one. He hasn't met the expectations set forth by Luck when he was hired, so cut your losses and take another risk. WVU will NEVER compete for a national championship unless it takes huge risks.
Respectfully, I think you missed my point. You don't throw out the football coach or the company officer manager unless you have a BETTER one to replace him/her. I didn't say do it or not do it. I just said too many places do it and then regret what they got. And WVU had 21 years of stability with Don Nehlen, even though he averaged 7 victories a season (and 2 undefeated regular seasons). Rich came along and wowed everyone till the Pitt implosion. Again, if you can find a better one, do it. But don't get caught in the habit of dumping coach and coach and then they wind up doing better somewhere else, the way that Bill Belichek did after leaving the Browns for the Patriots.

Who do you guys think is gonna follow Holgy? Best case is the next hot OC, hot young coach or a retread. Be careful what you wish for. You haters are hard to please. This is WVU not Oklahoma. Who’s coming to Morgantown. A one month run out of one of the worst programs in the last 30 years and you want to be them. Pathetic!!!
Your agenda was clear after calling him "Holgy."

My typical reply to these types of threads: Sure, let's get rid of him. Who do we hire to replace him? Who is that magical, available coach that can guarantee us yearly 10-12 win seasons, top five recruiting classes and a squeaky clean program year after year?
I am not necessarily saying it is time to fire our head coach, but I also do not think it is right to keep him just because we don't immediately see a replacement. If our current coach is not getting it done or is not the right fit, we pay someone (AD) a lot of money to find the right fit. If the program is not going in the right direction and our view of success has dipped to making sure we don't fall below Baylor and Kansas, it may be time for a change. Prolonging the inevitable only diminishes the program further.

Reactions: ColoradoMountaineer
LOL! So we shouldn't have hired Rodriguez or Holgorsen in the first place?

How did the Rodriguez thing turn out? He got out as fast as he could and did so in the worst way. As for the Holgrosen hire and the HCIW fiasco. That was messy and just as irritating as the Runaway Rod situation. So yes IMO next hire should be a proven HC. But Holgrosen is not going anywhere and I'm fine with that because the overall health of the football program is very good.

Reactions: jtturner09
Boy, you coach a team that has never had a losing streak longer than ONE game all season and some idiots want to fire you! Tough crowd. Good thing Nick Saban isn't coaching WVU. One loss and the tar and feathers crowd would be out in force. And they don't see the insanity of what they're saying.

Beat Iowa State and the sky stops falling. For one game, anyway.

Reactions: jtturner09
I agree on getting rid of Gibson. Can't stand the 335 and teams have figured it out.

Also, Spavital needs to run the damn ball up the middle behind Wellman. These delays that he loves which take 5 seconds to develop are not helping anything.

Remember, even last year's team, which played above it's talent level, got beat by three teams that ran the ball over our 3-3-5. It is not a defense that will get us to the next level. It can stop mediocre or lesser team's, but the good teams are delighted to see only three slow and small big uglies facing their beef.

I didn't have any problem with Stewart's dismissal he was in over his head. Luck stated the reason for firing Stewart was he was never going to win us a national championship. Im cool with that but either is Holgorsen. Holgorsen can barely beat a 6-6 pac 12 team in a bowl game. You must be having a hard time at the moment considering holgorsen is failing again and Rich is winning. Rich took Dana's papa to school on saturday night

And yet Rich has a losing conference record at Arizona. Same thing you are ripping Dana for. Move on Fraud is gone.

Give him until next year? I thought we gave him a 5 year deal last year...How much is his buyout?

His buyout is the remaining salary owed on of his 5 year contract. So somewhere around 18 to 20 million. This drops each season due to less years on said contract.

I am not necessarily saying it is time to fire our head coach, but I also do not think it is right to keep him just because we don't immediately see a replacement. If our current coach is not getting it done or is not the right fit, we pay someone (AD) a lot of money to find the right fit. If the program is not going in the right direction and our view of success has dipped to making sure we don't fall below Baylor and Kansas, it may be time for a change. Prolonging the inevitable only diminishes the program further.

Thank the good Lord it's not your decision.

Man Rich Rod did a number to this fan base. 2002 - 2007 seasons were unbelievable. Lightning in a bottle. There were some 8-5s and 8-4s sprinkled in there with the 11 win seasons, but we were always competitive and came ready to punch our opponent in the face on every snap.

13-9 killed me as a Mountaineer fan. Most likely the last time this program will ever sniff a National Championship. 7-5 seasons under Dana are lack luster, but can we really do any better? I know defeatist mentality, but seriously, will WVU ever string together another 02-07? I don't think so.

How did the Rodriguez thing turn out? He got out as fast as he could and did so in the worst way.
How did it turn out...are you serious? He revitalized the program back to where it was in Nehlen’s prime, delivered the first big bowl win ever here, and produced the best 3-year stretch in school history. That’s a home-run hire in every way. Who cares that it ended badly? Almost every AD in America would be lucky as hell to get those results from their hires. Without what RR did here, DH isn’t interested in coming here in the first place.
As for the Holgrosen hire and the HCIW fiasco. That was messy and just as irritating as the Runaway Rod situation. So yes IMO next hire should be a proven HC.
”Proven” head coaches are more expensive. They’re also frequently retreads who aren’t going to win you anything substantial.

One of those isn’t what a school like WVU needs. Our program has unusual obstacles, and thus has to take chances. We’ll never win a national title with someone from the recycle bin.

Hot up-and-coming coordinators are exactly the type of candidates we should always hire, because they’re the only ones you can get at or below market value who have the potential to blow up into something great. Coaches with higher floors often have lower ceilings. That isn’t what WVU needs. We need to keep rolling the dice and trying for greatness, even when it doesn’t work.

Reactions: ColoradoMountaineer
Don’t worry. Dana will do just enough to keep his job and keep this program in neutral. He parlayed a down Big XII last season and some close wins in the final minute(BYU, K-State, and Texas) into a hefty new contract.
Our recruiting hasn’t been all it’s cracked up to be. Too many JUCOs to plug holes and relying on transfers at QB. We have a few assistant coaches that would have trouble getting looks at other Power 5 programs. Dana’s tenure has been a carousel of assistant coaches.
Agree. Unless you have an opportunity to pick up a big name that gets the ax because of fickle fans and might find WVU an appealing job (e.g. Jimbo Fisher) then don't make a move for the sake of making a move. Everyone knew we lost a ton on defense and what I'm seeing is pretty much what I expected. Of course I did expect the special teams to not suck as bad...but other than that it's about what I thought heading into the season. Everyone at Pitt wanted Wannstedt gone and they've been a revolving door since and have not hit the high mark of Dave's 10 win season in 2009. Like you said, be careful what you wish for.

Man Rich Rod did a number to this fan base. 2002 - 2007 seasons were unbelievable. Lightning in a bottle. There were some 8-5s and 8-4s sprinkled in there with the 11 win seasons, but we were always competitive and came ready to punch our opponent in the face on every snap.

13-9 killed me as a Mountaineer fan. Most likely the last time this program will ever sniff a National Championship. 7-5 seasons under Dana are lack luster, but can we really do any better? I know defeatist mentality, but seriously, will WVU ever string together another 02-07? I don't think so.
It won't happen if we don't try. We know it won't happen under Dana holgorsen.

You won't get better unless you try. The guy is 1-10 is his last 11 games against ranked teams. He got beat by a 2nd year coach on a neutral field. There are people out there that can do better than this clown. The last couple of wvu coachs have already proven that 7 wins is attainable. If you're happy with the results then fine but don't pay anymore money for it. You can dump this guy and hire someone else to produce the same results for less money.

I agree on getting rid of Gibson. Can't stand the 335 and teams have figured it out.

Also, Spavital needs to run the damn ball up the middle behind Wellman. These delays that he loves which take 5 seconds to develop are not helping anything.
Why is it always someone elses fault? One day its Lyons the next its spavital. Now its Gibson. You're always deflecting blame away from Dana. If you don't like Jake or Tony then blame the guy who hired them.

know its not. There is a buyout after every season.

Should the school fire Holgorsen during the 2017 season, it would owe him more than $11 million. During the 2018 season, the buyout drops to around $8.1 million. Should he be dismissed during the final three years of the contract, WVU would owe him up to $6.9 million.

If Holgorsen leaves for another job, he would owe West Virginia between $1 million and $3 million depending on his departure date.

http://wvmetronews.com/2016/12/03/report-holgorsen-extension-finalized-through-2021/

You are correct. But it's still a big chunk of change. It will be 2 more years before WVU has an affordable price tag to buyout a coach and pay a new one.

When is dana gonna win a big game in modern history?

The modern history of American football can be considered to have begun after 1932. Check WVU football for Dana 7 years. You will see several modern history big game wins.

The modern history of American football can be considered to have begun after 1932. Check WVU football for Dana 7 years. You will see several modern history big game wins.
The last team Holgorsen beat that finished in the top 25 was back in 2014. That's ancient history. If want to go back as far as 1932 then i guess we have to acknowlege pitt as a national power. They did win an NC in 76. Greg J would be happy with your logic.

Should the school fire Holgorsen during the 2017 season, it would owe him more than $11 million. During the 2018 season, the buyout drops to around $8.1 million. Should he be dismissed during the final three years of the contract, WVU would owe him up to $6.9 million.

If Holgorsen leaves for another job, he would owe West Virginia between $1 million and $3 million depending on his departure date.

http://wvmetronews.com/2016/12/03/report-holgorsen-extension-finalized-through-2021/

You are correct. But it's still a big chunk of change. It will be 2 more years before WVU has an affordable price tag to buyout a coach and pay a new one.
The point is there is a buy out after every season. He isn't owed 18 mil if he's canned. After the 2018 season the buy out is 8.1 as you stated which is the same price tag as after 2015. Moral of the story is don't get comfortable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT