ADVERTISEMENT

Stagnation

Tired of excuses. 7 years in and still excuses. (see Iowa State)
I gave Dana 7 years. I defended him. However, enough is enough. The program is stale. The team is predictable every year. Same mistakes. Same excuses. I keep hearing we can’t do this, we can’t compete, we can’t because we never have. I’m not sure why anyone believes this nonsense.

I gave Dana 7 years. I defended him. However, enough is enough. The program is stale. The team is predictable every year. Same mistakes. Same excuses. I keep hearing we can’t do this, we can’t compete, we can’t because we never have. I’m not sure why anyone believes this nonsense.

Who do you guys think is gonna follow Holgy? Best case is the next hot OC, hot young coach or a retread. Be careful what you wish for. You haters are hard to please. This is WVU not Oklahoma. Who’s coming to Morgantown. A one month run out of one of the worst programs in the last 30 years and you want to be them. Pathetic!!!

Reactions: MntnEERinSC
Ye

Yeah those wins over ranked opponents..
#11 Texas @Austin
#25 Baylor
#11 Oklahoma State
#4 Baylor

..were not big wins. Funny.
Ancient History and some of games you listed the wvu teams that won these games had a fair share of Bill Stewart's Recruits on them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rootmaster
Who do you guys think is gonna follow Holgy? Best case is the next hot OC, hot young coach or a retread. Be careful what you wish for. You haters are hard to please. This is WVU not Oklahoma. Who’s coming to Morgantown. A one month run out of one of the worst programs in the last 30 years and you want to be them. Pathetic!!!
Iowa State isn't Oklahoma either. Its proof of what a good coach can do and Holgorsen is average at best.

Iowa State isn't Oklahoma either. Its proof of what a good coach can do and Holgorsen is average at best.

And we're not Florida who's Coach my be fired after 1 losing season. Better yet we're not FSU who are having their first losing season since 1976. Here's a even better idea let's have a bunch of coach turnover and never be competitive again (Tennessee, Pitt ect...)

Unless a proven candidate for Head Coach is considered, best to just avoid hotshot coordinators or the flavor of the day Coach. It's best to have consistency and HC stability e.g keep Holgrosen for now.

Don’t worry. Dana will do just enough to keep his job and keep this program in neutral. He parlayed a down Big XII last season and some close wins in the final minute(BYU, K-State, and Texas) into a hefty new contract.
Our recruiting hasn’t been all it’s cracked up to be. Too many JUCOs to plug holes and relying on transfers at QB. We have a few assistant coaches that would have trouble getting looks at other Power 5 programs. Dana’s tenure has been a carousel of assistant coaches.

Reactions: LAMountaineer
I wouldn't opposed to replacing Dana after this season, but I don't necessarily trust Lyons to make a hire. I REALLY wish we had an experienced AD who has been through this before.

Also, we better be very careful with who we bring in. Say what you want about DH, but he has kept the program stable and competitive and with an unproven AD it is a strong possibility he completely botches the hire.

I really don't want to see WVU turn into a mess like UCLA, Nebraska, Maryland, etc.

Reactions: jtturner09
i like dana...still wishing he can pull a rabbit out of his hat, but im tired of looking to next year. the "next year" argument has been going on for the past 4 years. at this point we are what we are. we're not winning this conference. inconsistency is the only consistent aspect of this program. our offense is prolific until we run up against a defense with some talent. if we want to get to the point where we're actually competing for the conference championship in november, then i don't see dana as the answer. again, i like him...i like his fire and enthusiasm...but in my opinion he's not the answer to elevate this program.

I think this seems like a very good time to put you on ignore.

I wouldn't opposed to replacing Dana after this season, but I don't necessarily trust Lyons to make a hire. I REALLY wish we had an experienced AD who has been through this before.

Also, we better be very careful with who we bring in. Say what you want about DH, but he has kept the program stable and competitive and with an unproven AD it is a strong possibility he completely botches the hire.

I really don't want to see WVU turn into a mess like UCLA, Nebraska, Maryland, etc.
I have been outspoken in the past about DH; I'm not his biggest fan. However, I do see core improvement in him as a HC including correcting some of the past errors in his coaching staff, moving away from play calling and now showing some staff stability. Also improvements in recruiting.

I think everyone knew that there were holes in this year's team that would eventually come back to bite us; O-line, inexperienced defense lacking depth, new QB. The highlights have been that the new QB has shown many bright spots and the receiving corps has exceeded all of our expectations.

So for now I am content with keeping DH as HC because I do see upside that wouldn't happen if a change was made.

Honestly, yesterday WVU was beaten by a better team that was able to exploit weaknesses. That's what the game is all about.

Dana needs to do something, typically coaches who start to feel the heat make a big change.

I suggest getting rid of Tony Gibson and this crappy 3-3-5. You have to make stops and you have to be a top 10 defense if you want to win anything. Otherwise WVU will be 7-5 year after year beating basically no one.

If we are not careful we could lose the remaining games on our schedule.

Keeping the status quo means continued mediocrity.

Who the hell has the goal of being mediocre?

Answer: Only losers.

Hail, it ain't nobody's goal to be mediocre. It is just that every team cannot achieve the elite status that their fans demand. As a result, you have about 98% of all teams being 'mediocre' and about 2% (or less) achieving 'elite' status. I can name a few of the elite teams over the last 10 years. Alabama and maybe Ohio State. It's a short list. Clemson makes the 5 year list of 'elite' programs. Please feel free to add to my short list. Warez

Last edited:
I (for one) agree to accept mediocrity. Why? There ain't no other choice. If there is a choice in the matter............please speak up! Warez

Last edited:
I agree on getting rid of Gibson. Can't stand the 335 and teams have figured it out.

Also, Spavital needs to run the damn ball up the middle behind Wellman. These delays that he loves which take 5 seconds to develop are not helping anything.

Less than a year ago Dana signed a 5 year contract extension, he isn't getting replaced. Move on....

By the contract extension standard WVU sets...if a coach has one decent record in a five year span he gets another five years! Yeah! And at a huge increase...wow! Talk about a culture that is scared of competing.

Ye

Yeah those wins over ranked opponents..
#11 Texas @Austin
#25 Baylor
#11 Oklahoma State
#4 Baylor

..were not big wins. Funny.

Yeah because those big wins vs #11 Texas and #25 Baylor sure lead to an amazing season.... oh wait, we went on a 5 game losing streak and lost the bowl game to damn Syracuse.

The year we beat #11 OK St, we only won 4 games. And the year we beat #4 Baylor ended up with a bowl game loss to a crappy Texas A&M team.

In conclusion, those games lead to nothing.

By the contract extension standard WVU sets...if a coach has one decent record in a five year span he gets another five years! Yeah! And at a huge increase...wow! Talk about a culture that is scared of competing.
Imo 7 years is enough time to build your program. The question is, what is the goal? To compete for championships or hover around .500 and go to a lower level bowl? If it’s the latter, Dana is our guy.

My typical reply to these types of threads: Sure, let's get rid of him. Who do we hire to replace him? Who is that magical, available coach that can guarantee us yearly 10-12 win seasons, top five recruiting classes and a squeaky clean program year after year?

Bill Stewart has passed. Find another lover.

I didn't have any problem with Stewart's dismissal he was in over his head. Luck stated the reason for firing Stewart was he was never going to win us a national championship. Im cool with that but either is Holgorsen. Holgorsen can barely beat a 6-6 pac 12 team in a bowl game. You must be having a hard time at the moment considering holgorsen is failing again and Rich is winning. Rich took Dana's papa to school on saturday night

And we're not Florida who's Coach my be fired after 1 losing season. Better yet we're not FSU who are having their first losing season since 1976. Here's a even better idea let's have a bunch of coach turnover and never be competitive again (Tennessee, Pitt ect...)

Unless a proven candidate for Head Coach is considered, best to just avoid hotshot coordinators or the flavor of the day Coach. It's best to have consistency and HC stability e.g keep Holgrosen for now.
Consistency that's great 7-5 and Crappy bowl games. The acceptance of mediocrity is a path to eventual failure. Coach's that can produce 7-5 seasons are a dime a dozen. If you're actually happy with the results then don't pay extra money for it. You could fire this fool and hire someone else to produce the same results for a million less.

Last edited:
Reactions: SKYHAWKBALL
Yeah because those big wins vs #11 Texas and #25 Baylor sure lead to an amazing season.... oh wait, we went on a 5 game losing streak and lost the bowl game to damn Syracuse.

The year we beat #11 OK St, we only won 4 games. And the year we beat #4 Baylor ended up with a bowl game loss to a crappy Texas A&M team.

In conclusion, those games lead to nothing.
The year we beat#11 Ok State was the same year Dana gave us that loss to Kansas.

How do you know who Lyons would hire? If he fired Dana, and his hire turned out to be no good the result would be the same as Luck. If he lacks the experience as you claim then maybe the decision to keep Holgorsen after 2015 was a poor one in itself.

Reactions: Rootmaster
I didn't have any problem with Stewart's dismissal he was in over his head. Luck stated the reason for firing Stewart was he was never going to win us a national championship. Im cool with that but either is Holgorsen. Holgorsen can barely beat a 6-6 pac 12 team in a bowl game. You must be having a hard time at the moment considering holgorsen is failing again and Rich is winning. Rich took Dana's papa to school on saturday night

All coaches are 'in over their head' if they don't produce enough wins to keep the fanbase happy. How many wins does a WV coach have to produce in order to keep fans happy? Well, we don't know since it has never happened. Trust me, Holgs will never make the fans happy. The next coach won't either. Get over it. Warez

Nobody to hire if DH goes? Well Florida has a short list which includes new and old names. But then if you are WVU... again...why try to be great when you can settle for being so-so? Just sayin'

ADVERTISEMENT