ADVERTISEMENT

Sooners Wire Report: Oklahoma and Texas reach out to SEC about expansion

For one, expansion would have played no part in whether UT or OU would bolt to the SEC. The SEC is the premier conference with the best teams and the most money. Every school in every conference would jump at the chance to join if they were extended an invitation.
Second, as of now, this is just speculation and far from a "done deal".
Third, this is most likely a power play by the most important teams in the conference to strengthen the conference when the bidding wars start back up in the next couple of years. That's what makes the most sense in all this mess.

All over the sports media- there has been a relentless anti BIG 12 social media campaign for years now that BIg 12 schools fell in line with.

Had the league expanded before then at least there would have been options.

Appears now that WVU will be in a battle for a new home

I think you jumping to a foregone conclusion here.

This allegedly is UT and OU asking for membership. Not the SEC issuing an invitation.

Big difference between the two. If it was the latter, be worried. It isn't, and there are way too many variables here that come into play to assume anything.

Head buried in sand too long. This is everywhere so its a done deal - will be announced soon.

Can only hope WVUs leadership had things in play behind the scenes.

Reactions: EEResistable
Head buried in sand too long. This is everywhere so its a done deal - will be announced soon.

Can only hope WVUs leadership had things in play behind the scenes.

BULLSHIT!

Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC has been floated since before the Big East got scavengered by the ACC, Big 10, SEC and Big 12. Those 4 conferences were like cannibals feasting on the weakest football conference.

I won't worry about this rumor, which has been floated repeatedly for months and years, till is actually happen. I expect to see Texas in Mountaineer Field on November 20 and Oklahoma in 2022 and Texas again in 2023 till proven otherwise.

Relax. Chill out.

It's just clickbait to get readers and viewers. Oldest trick in the book.

If UT and OU want to leave and can leave on their own without having to take TT or OSU with them, then someone will definitely take UT and OU.

And I don't know what Big 12 expansion has to do with this. There aren't good expansion candidates out there, thus the Big 12 did not expand. If the Big 12 had expanded then it would be a weaker conference per school and UT and OU would be that much more likely to want to leave.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
This is something that was only a matter of time IMO. Now with the NIL both of those programs will have twice the brand in the SEC.

Better get ready to replace them with AAC teams, and zero chance WVU ends up in another conference. Best case is the Big12 adds some AAC teams and keeps a respectable conference.

Compare SEC payouts to Big12 payouts and it's a no brainer for both of them. The Longhorn Network won't matter either. The Big12 threw a Hail Mary when it invited TCU and WVU. I could see a Big12 with 4 AAC schools being added, and that won't be that bad honestly.

Reactions: 1Xover1X
Basically going to be the 4 superconferences.

Pac 12 vs Big Ten vs ACC vs SEC
Ok let's say that's true. Who wants WVU? The ACC had that chance and passed, the BIG10 will never invite WVU. Believing we end up in either of those two conferences is a fantasy.

Most Louisville fans would favor adding ND and WVU. I think getting ND to join is unlikely. If they were to join a conference they’d be crazy to not join the B1G as the payout per school is so much greater than the current ACC deal.

Maybe WVU and UCF. Both would bring exceptional football and great baseball with the Eers. Those additions would allow for a renegotiation of the ACCN contract.

I doubt this will happen but if it does it royally screws the ACC

This is why Georgia is being mentioned as such an important member.
We will see.
The difference between Texas and the Group of 4 is they aren’t in the ACC. The smoke has been about Texas joining the ACC. Somewhat changes things for Georgia Tech

I doubt this will happen but if it does it royally screws the ACC

This is why Georgia is being mentioned as such an important member.
We will see.
The difference between Texas and the Group of 4 is they aren’t in the ACC. The smoke has been about Texas joining the ACC. Somewhat changes things for Georgia Tech
The ACC membership is locked in for a long time. With the launch of the ACCN the conference members agreed to a grant of media rites beginning in 2019 through 2039.

The ACC membership is locked in for a long time. With the launch of the ACCN the conference members agreed to a grant of media rites beginning in 2019 through 2039.
You are the one who mentioned renegotiation.
Meaning that if they added additional schools they would be able to negotiate a new deal.

Texas/Oklahoma to the ACC was released a few months ago and had statements by important members of the conference.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
BULLSHIT!

Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC has been floated since before the Big East got scavengered by the ACC, Big 10, SEC and Big 12. Those 4 conferences were like cannibals feasting on the weakest football conference.

I won't worry about this rumor, which has been floated repeatedly for months and years, till is actually happen. I expect to see Texas in Mountaineer Field on November 20 and Oklahoma in 2022 and Texas again in 2023 till proven otherwise.

Relax. Chill out.

It's just clickbait to get readers and viewers. Oldest trick in the book.
OU and TEXAS have the money to pay the fines. They will leave when they want to leave. Time to drop to FCS and win some trophies.

This is something that was only a matter of time IMO. Now with the NIL both of those programs will have twice the brand in the SEC.

Better get ready to replace them with AAC teams, and zero chance WVU ends up in another conference. Best case is the Big12 adds some AAC teams and keeps a respectable conference.

Compare SEC payouts to Big12 payouts and it's a no brainer for both of them. The Longhorn Network won't matter either. The Big12 threw a Hail Mary when it invited TCU and WVU. I could see a Big12 with 4 AAC schools being added, and that won't be that bad honestly.
Except the money will not be there and the travel cost will increase.

Here‘s hoping WVUs basketball and football programs take the day and the ACC selects WVU if it comes to that down the road.
One of two ways that happens

1. They want 4 conferences of 16 teams.
2. UNC and Duke leave for B1G

Reactions: 1duluth1
When there was talk of OU, UT, OSU, TTU going to PAC12 years ago, there was talk of leftovers (WVU, kState, Iowa State, TCU) teaming up with Boise, UCF, Cincy, maybe BYU - for a "pretty decent conference." That won't work anymore. How does "pretty good" compete with a conf with LSU, Bama, GA, Fla, Auburn, Texas, and Oklahoma? You can't.

Also, if we end up with 4 16-team conferences,SEC will be at 16 and PAC12 is too far. That leaves 1 spot from ACC and 2 from B1G. Since B1G won't take us, the 1 ACC slot is our only hope... unless there is trading/raiding. B1G takes UVA & NC, then ACC needs 3 teams.

-Winter Tim

Reactions: KingCoal
You are the one who mentioned renegotiation.
Meaning that if they added additional schools they would be able to negotiate a new deal.

Texas/Oklahoma to the ACC was released a few months ago and had statements by important members of the conference.

I think the rumor activity is strange because it kinda says that The Longhorn Network is on its way out. If any of this is true then it appears Texas has assured Oklahoma that the two programs can move forward without the Network interfering.

One of two ways that happens

1. They want 4 conferences of 16 teams.
2. UNC and Duke leave for B1G

Not sure Duke, as a small private, fits in with BigTen but I get we’re you’re going. I think UNC and UVA could work for BigTen paving way for WVU.

Most Louisville fans would favor adding ND and WVU. I think getting ND to join is unlikely. If they were to join a conference they’d be crazy to not join the B1G as the payout per school is so much greater than the current ACC deal.

Maybe WVU and UCF. Both would bring exceptional football and great baseball with the Eers. Those additions would allow for a renegotiation of the ACCN contract.

ND doesn’t need to worry about extra cash really. They are most like ACC schools and value the entire Eastern part of the United States from an Alumni
perspective.

I think the rumor activity is strange because it kinda says that The Longhorn Network is on its way out. If any of this is true then it appears Texas has assured Oklahoma that the two programs can move forward without the Network interfering.

Longhorn Network was a creation to keep Texas from moving to the PAC in the beginning.

We will find out what happens. Ultimately both schools will use anything to get what they want.

I don’t know with the numbers ESPN/SEC are talking about is realistic. Over double what CBS is paying right now for Tier 1
Huge contract they agreed to

Not sure Duke, as a small private, fits in with BigTen but I get we’re you’re going. I think UNC and UVA could work for BigTen paving way for WVU.
Either those combos would work. As long as 2 of the 3 are gone there's a chance. But is not about fit any more. It's about money.

The less ND wants in will be a huge plus for WVU. You can forget any G5 schools getting a bump up.

To be honest, as much as you hate us, and we have a condescending attitude towards you guys, most Pitt fans deep down would want you to be in the ACC if it all goes down. I mean, it really just makes so much sense. Already existing rivalries, you don't have to manufacture them, from a 5 hour radius from Charleston, you hit what, half of the ACC schools? It just fits.

Reactions: Cheers
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT