ADVERTISEMENT

Sooners Wire Report: Oklahoma and Texas reach out to SEC about expansion

To be honest, as much as you hate us, and we have a condescending attitude towards you guys, most Pitt fans deep down would want you to be in the ACC if it all goes down. I mean, it really just makes so much sense. Already existing rivalries, you don't have to manufacture them, from a 5 hour radius from Charleston, you hit what, half of the ACC schools? It just fits.
Go jump in a lake and drown.

WVU since 1953: "WVU has applied for ACC membership."

ACC SINCE 1953: "Go to hell WVU. DENIED!"

WVU wants to remain as a power school so if the ACC were to make it known that there is legitimate interest, then I'm sure the WVU administration would be willing to listen.

The story isn't over yet as, while its about 99% certain OU and Texas won't be in the BIG 12, the Big Ten hasn't yet made moves to counter the SEC's action. When that happens the ACC may ALSO be affected.

WVU wants to remain as a power school so if the ACC were to make it known that there is legitimate interest, then I'm sure the WVU administration would be willing to listen.

The story isn't over yet as, while its about 99% certain OU and Texas won't be in the BIG 12, the Big Ten hasn't yet made moves to counter the SEC's action. When that happens the ACC may ALSO be affected.
Honestly, the ACC pricks look at WV as fat, toothless, bare-footed hillbillies, and that's the way they've treated the entire state since 1863. Based on knowing that, that alone would make me not want to join their frat party in 2022. F*** them.

B1G could serve themselves well by adding Kansas and West Virginia. Will it happen? Probably not, but crazier things have happened in the past, so who knows. I only know I hate having pompous assholes from New Jersey and Maryland as part of the B1G, and sure as hell don't want more from UVA and Duke.

If the Big Ten expands as a result, then they'll likely be looking at what they've said they want in schools:

AAU members
Contiguous states

Which schools would that be?

Iowa State
Missouri
Kansas
Virginia

and of course if you add someone in those states you can move further i.e.

UNC
Duke

So as we can see, these schools would be the most likely targets in a Big Ten expansion with the exception of Notre Dame.

Notre Dame is not in the AAU, but their national cache--B10 is willing to overlook that. Problem there is they have non football ties to the ACC.

None of this really helps WVU unless some of those acc schools go away to the B10.

Then maybe a new eastern conference forms with WVU and some of the ACC teams like FSU, Clemson, VT, Pitt, Miami or maybe the ACC survives and adds WVU and maybe another BIG 12 squad like Kansas or something.

Missouri is interesting. They don't want Texas in the SEC and neither does A&M. So if they vote UT in? Maybe Missouri leaves for the Big Ten--but then Oklahoma State or Texas Tech probably joins up with the SEC.

FWIW, and it isn't much, the hosts of the Buckeye Show on the Fan 97.1 in Columbus said last night that the best candidates for B1G expansion would be WVU and Iowa State. Of course, the B1G would have to waive its AAU requirement to do this, but it's certainly possible.

FWIW, and it isn't much, the hosts of the Buckeye Show on the Fan 97.1 in Columbus said last night that the best candidates for B1G expansion would be WVU and Iowa State. Of course, the B1G would have to waive its AAU requirement to do this, but it's certainly possible.
And that would be fantastic.

But they'll have to waive that requirement.

Talking out of my ass here, but if AAU membership is so prestigious and a prerequisite to B10 membership, why aren't we working toward membership in AAU?

Also, Nebraska isn't in it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tylerite
I would love to see EIGHT 8-team conferences that would grab up the 64 best teams in America, divided up geographically to make it easy for fans to travel to road games. Then have the champions play for the national title. Or both conference title game participants for a 16-team awesome national playoff. No committee showing bias. Just settling it on the field to get into your conference title game and then settling it on the field for the national title. It would make every conference battle during the season to qualify for the conference title game so important. Interest would be sky-high. I don't know why they just don't implement my plans. College football would be so much better off for it. Too much common sense to work, I guess.

Reactions: 1duluth1
Talking out of my ass here, but if AAU membership is so prestigious and a prerequisite to B10 membership, why aren't we working toward membership in AAU?

Nebraska was a member of the AAU when it was admitted to the B1G, though.

Nebraska was an AAU member until shortly after joining the Big Ten, when they were voted out by the membership due to some technicality of the arrangement of i.e. medical and main campuses.

I don't know why WVU wouldn't be working to gain AAU membership--has alot to do with the research $$ you get though and graduate programs. The membership also has to vote you in (or out).

WVU is in the top tier of Carnegie Research institutions but WVU is rated at the bottom of the P5 in that (rather bogus) US News ratings for schools. They've actually moved down rather than up.

Here are the AAUs membership requirements:

Willing to listen? If ACC showed interest WVU had better jump all over that.

Reactions: 1duluth1
It will be fun too watch. The ACC is the natural fit but we've seen this story before so I wouldn't hold my breath.

I think the rules this time around are different, which will benefit WVU but the issue is this time there aren't many openings.

B1G could serve themselves well by adding Kansas and West Virginia. Will it happen? Probably not, but crazier things have happened in the past

Seems like one of the things the B1G was concerned about was the heart of their conference footprint (upper midwest) had little population growth... and people equal TV revenue. Rumor was they were looking towards VA and NC (or TX) to chase Sunbelt population growth. WV is small - and shrinking. Even besides that elite research university status they crave, I think they want more B1G viewers than we offer.
-Winter Tim

BULLSHIT!

Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC has been floated since before the Big East got scavengered by the ACC, Big 10, SEC and Big 12. Those 4 conferences were like cannibals feasting on the weakest football conference.

I won't worry about this rumor, which has been floated repeatedly for months and years, till is actually happen. I expect to see Texas in Mountaineer Field on November 20 and Oklahoma in 2022 and Texas again in 2023 till proven otherwise.

Relax. Chill out.

It's just clickbait to get readers and viewers. Oldest trick in the book.
Clueless.

I would love to see EIGHT 8-team conferences that would grab up the 64 best teams in America, divided up geographically
If we ended up with 4 super conferences of 16 teams... who went with 2, 8-team divisions each (to play for conf champ) - divided geographically - and the ACC invited us - we could end up in a division with Pitt, BC, Syracuse, VaTech, UVa.
We'd be back where started.

"...We shall not cease from exploration And the end of all our exploring Will be to arrive where we started And know the place for the first time.”
--from Little Gidding by T.S.

Head buried in sand too long. This is everywhere so its a done deal - will be announced soon.

Can only hope WVUs leadership had things in play behind the scenes.

You’re such a smug tool. Listen expansion boy. I schooled you the last time expansion was going down. You were all over the place with ND joining Big12. Big12 adding Clemson and FSU. ACC imploding. Blah blah blah. I literally was getting updates real-time leading you down the right road. Made two phone calls today and feel fairly comfortable it’s not a done deal but appears to be a viable outcome. The Big12 is definitely in harms way. This entire site knows I was talking about Texas contacting ACC(FACT), and the ACC told them to pound salt because they wanted a ND deal with LHN intact. The entire site knows I was warning two years that 22/23 was gonna be rough waters. Keep throwing up content articles please. That’s great and thank you. But don’t smugly talk down on anyone because you’re a fanboy that literally knows nothing.

Longhorn Network was a creation to keep Texas from moving to the PAC in the beginning.

We will find out what happens. Ultimately both schools will use anything to get what they want.

I don’t know with the numbers ESPN/SEC are talking about is realistic. Over double what CBS is paying right now for Tier 1
Huge contract they agreed to

You‘re first sentence is literally you making stuff up. Extremely close relationship with ESPN and a client with one of the larger marketing firms in Manhattan that helped rebrand the Big East tells me you have no idea what you’re posting and either made that up or googled an insignificant talkin head.

You‘re first sentence is literally you making stuff up. Extremely close relationship with ESPN and a client with one of the larger marketing firms in Manhattan that helped rebrand the Big East tells me you have no idea what you’re posting and either made that up or googled an insignificant talkin head.

You know ESPN. Never met him or her.
Very interesting

You’re such a smug tool. Listen expansion boy. I schooled you the last time expansion was going down. You were all over the place with ND joining Big12. Big12 adding Clemson and FSU. ACC imploding. Blah blah blah. I literally was getting updates real-time leading you down the right road. Made two phone calls today and feel fairly comfortable it’s not a done deal but appears to be a viable outcome. The Big12 is definitely in harms way. This entire site knows I was talking about Texas contacting ACC(FACT), and the ACC told them to pound salt because they wanted a ND deal with LHN intact. The entire site knows I was warning two years that 22/23 was gonna be rough waters. Keep throwing up content articles please. That’s great and thank you. But don’t smugly talk down on anyone because you’re a fanboy that literally knows nothing.
You are a troll.

I wasn't anywhere, I simply posted news articles and discussed them. Tools like you made up b.s. about all of it.

Obviously Texas and Oklahoma are leaving the BIG 12. Its clear.

No time to worry about silly game playing as though you are connected to anything now.

You'll sit back and watch what happens like the rest of us.

Reactions: Tylerite
To be honest, as much as you hate us, and we have a condescending attitude towards you guys, most Pitt fans deep down would want you to be in the ACC if it all goes down. I mean, it really just makes so much sense. Already existing rivalries, you don't have to manufacture them, from a 5 hour radius from Charleston, you hit what, half of the ACC schools? It just fits.

THE PROBLEM IS "IT FITS" IS SECONDARY TO "HOW WILL THE MONEY WORK?"

You are a troll.

I wasn't anywhere, I simply posted news articles and discussed them. Tools like you made up b.s. about all of it.

Obviously Texas and Oklahoma are leaving the BIG 12. Its clear.

No time to worry about silly game playing as though you are connected to anything now.

You'll sit back and watch what happens like the rest of us.

Again you’re connecting dots. It’s not a done deal they’re going to SEC. I troll smug fanboy geeks that soil this site. Dude I appreciate your threads and efforts. It’s your dot connection that I confronted in the past regarding your Expansion takes not threads. Ironically you posted the same thing a few years ago about my contacts, your words “playing as though you are connected“. This isn’t about you being a pee brain that can’t navigate conversations with people that can actually provide value it really about the prospects that the Big12 is in harms way. Now a few years ago I dropped nuggets on this site that blew up every narrative that you presented. This time your blind dot connecting may actually go down. No better than 50/50 though. It took me two calls today to get a feel about realistic outcomes. I still think the Big12 survives and the two schools don’t bite on ESPNs effort to move them over to SEC. At least Texas. It’s a jump ball. And the SEC isn’t the only conference in play for a shakeup.

Hey WVUAllen,
What are people and sportswriters saying about WVU to the ACC?
Some are saying it will never happen. Others are saying WVU will not be left out. Take that for whatever you want it to mean.

Many are saying KU and UVA to B1G. That's a plus for WVU.

Lot of this is pure speculation and rumors.

It's all about who moves the needle now.

Some are saying it will never happen. Others are saying WVU will not be left out. Take that for whatever you want it to mean.

Many are saying KU and UVA to B1G. That's a plus for WVU.
I'd rather it be unc and duke. continuous state and two from the same state no matter.

I'd rather it be unc and duke. continuous state and two from the same state no matter.
That would be a nice dream but not happening. Big 10 will love the idea of playing in Charlotte. UVA gives them an even stronger footprint in Virginia.

They may as well go ahead make all the most marketable teams SEC teams and divide them up into regions. The rest of the teams can just fight for scraps and the right to play in the Covid Bowl.

Penn State, Pitt, Syracuse, Boston College, Virginia Tech, WVU looks like a great league, and would have been long ago. I'll just wait and see how it turns out. No use getting uclers over sports.

Penn State, Pitt, Syracuse, Boston College, Virginia Tech, WVU looks like a great league, and would have been long ago. I'll just wait and see how it turns out. No use getting uclers over sports.
Wait a minute poser! You say you are a sportswriter who understands the nuances of sport as only a former waterboy can...and you just shrug it all off? Squirrel for sure...and not a real one even. Lol.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Honestly, the ACC pricks look at WV as fat, toothless, bare-footed hillbillies, and that's the way they've treated the entire state since 1863. Based on knowing that, that alone would make me not want to join their frat party in 2022. F*** them.

B1G could serve themselves well by adding Kansas and West Virginia. Will it happen? Probably not, but crazier things have happened in the past, so who knows. I only know I hate having pompous assholes from New Jersey and Maryland as part of the B1G, and sure as hell don't want more from UVA and Duke.
UVA AND UNC are the two top teams The B1G wants. Saw it on many sites KU is bottom of the list. Even the Phog is reporting this.

Reactions: LHANDSDC
I can't see them leaving, but nothing makes much sense anymore
Texas and Ou to SEC. B1G will want names if they can't have Notre Dame.

However, landing in a conference such as the Big Ten or ACC would be quite a stretch. Considering the current state of the athletic program, the American Athletic Conference would be a more reasonable landing spot.

Kansas would join their southern neighbors Wichita State (in basketball), along with new friends Houston, Central Florida, and Cincinnati. This is all speculative, but the growth of the AAC has been impressive over the past few years and shouldn’t be ignored.

Oklahoma and Texas could be gone for good fairly soon and would usher in a brand new era for Kansas. Expect these reports to be recognized by the Big 12 at some point, as the wheels appear to be turning quickly now.

ADVERTISEMENT