ADVERTISEMENT

Sobering comments from ESPN story on Les Miles

Miles was fired because LSU has inferiority complex over Alabama and that's about it.

This isn't the 1st time I have seen this happen. Ohio State Fired cooper for all the Michigan losses and then following it up by losing to Sec teams in a bowl

This wasn't a coaching decision....this was a personality decision.

Obviously there was some interpersonal issues there that affected this outcome, which is the last thing that should result in this.
I get that Les had an antiquated offense, but couldn't LSU do what Alabama did and bring in a fresh set of eyes (Kiffin) to update what they were doing?

IMO this says much more about the LSU administration than it does about Coach Miles.
This sure brings out all the folks not close to the program possessed of strong opinions with nada in the way of knowledge. PLAN A was in fact for Les to fix the broken stuff and stay, which included (1) a new OC and (2) let him do his job. After Les survived, he began crawfishing on all of his commitments, and CHOSE to keep his OC against all advice. The fanbase may be irrational, but not the smart money powerbrokers who have been watching this offensive display since 2011.

Specifics? OK, here. The senior transfer rule, NCAA Free Agency if you will. It's there, it must be embraced or at least thought through. It's a rule. LSU's QB situation, on display for all to see, has been BAD. While FSU and Bama and others hedged their bets, do you think LSU pursued this option? At least to lower risks? LSU has only had outbound transfer of seniors, none inbound. Check John Diarse at TCU for example. Now you've got me started....

Would anyone trade Dana for Miles? I'll give you five Danas for Miles.

Miles is worried about more than football but has done amazing things in football alone. Although the concept and practice are derided by many, Miles carries on the Schembechler tradition of emphasizing team, teammates and creating men, not just football players. He takes on his many fan- and booster-related activities with vigor, even enthusiasm. He never fails to praise his employer and fans and it never sounds fake or rehearsed.

Contrast this with DH who has missed, if he schedules them at all, appearances at dinners and golf events. DH has ignored, on more than one occasion, requests to sign memorabilia for charity events even as a large number of signed items from...Nick Saban flow in. The demands on Saban's time and for his signature must be staggering but he makes time for WV organizations. DH is stingy with his praise - of players, of fans, of the school, of the state - and makes it clear, even unintentionally, that he's merely waiting on the next job. Offensive 'genius' doesn't get you very far when the opponent is physically superior at every position due to being pushed down to the end of the recruiting trough.

One offers loyalty even after being sacked...the other demands loyalty without offering it himself. Easy choice.

You must know a altogether different Dana than I do. Quit spewing lies and innuendos!

Let me shed some light for you guys. I have been a fan of Miles for a long time. Miles the man is unique, quirky, and full of integrity. All of that is true.

Miles offense has not evolved, changed, or been adjusted for years even after many calls for him to do something different when EVERYBODY knew what plays he was going to run. Three were too many times when some simple changes kept us from winning games, titles, and yes beating Alabama. The product on the field has become predictable, boring, and a gross misuse of that talent available. Numerous former players and coaches begged and pleaded with Miles to make changes, and he did not. We lost one of the best DC's due to pressure his impotent offense put on the D.

After almost being fired last year, he promised a new more versatile offensive scheme to go with the most talented and veteran teams we have had in 5 years with one of the best players to see the field at LSU. What happened? Nothing. Same old stuff. Players are losing motivation, making mistakes, and performing well under their potential.

So in the end, if Miles had average talent and met average expectations, he would still be here. But since he has top talent, facilities, with the HIGHEST PAID staff in the country and had repeatedly failed to address the obvious issues, LSU has decided to move on.

The interim coach has already completely changed the way they practice and approach games. Obviously there were disagreements on the staff as to fixing the issues.

And I will add that in a local syndrome known as Miles Fatigue, the stadium is emptying at halftime even in close games (well, they are ALL close....), as the number of toss sweeps digestible has been exceeded by then. No people, this is not an irrational kneejerk reaction to two losses, and if you were here and had been a witness to what is going on, you would understand.

The bottom line .. This is the SEC and you can't lose 7 of 9 games over three years to Alabama, Ole Miss, and Arkansas
This is precisely why the ax fell. Paying the note on a 2017 Corvette (highest paid staff in college football)and driving a 2011 Malibu (15-12 in conference games).

After promising changes to the offense for 2016, I knew that the Turk was coming at halftime of the Wisconsin game. Completed 3 forward passes and had 50 total yards of offense. The worst outfit in the Sun Belt or the MAC could have topped that.

The difficult thing was separating Miles the man from Miles the coach. I will always have the utmost respect for him and will be pulling for him at his next gig.

Last edited:
Let me shed some light for you guys. I have been a fan of Miles for a long time. Miles the man is unique, quirky, and full of integrity. All of that is true.

Miles offense has not evolved, changed, or been adjusted for years even after many calls for him to do something different when EVERYBODY knew what plays he was going to run. Three were too many times when some simple changes kept us from winning games, titles, and yes beating Alabama. The product on the field has become predictable, boring, and a gross misuse of that talent available. Numerous former players and coaches begged and pleaded with Miles to make changes, and he did not. We lost one of the best DC's due to pressure his impotent offense put on the D.

After almost being fired last year, he promised a new more versatile offensive scheme to go with the most talented and veteran teams we have had in 5 years with one of the best players to see the field at LSU. What happened? Nothing. Same old stuff. Players are losing motivation, making mistakes, and performing well under their potential.

So in the end, if Miles had average talent and met average expectations, he would still be here. But since he has top talent, facilities, with the HIGHEST PAID staff in the country and had repeatedly failed to address the obvious issues, LSU has decided to move on.

The interim coach has already completely changed the way they practice and approach games. Obviously there were disagreements on the staff as to fixing the issues.
I agree with everything you said but my issue is him being fired during the season. LSU knew they wanted him out at the end of last season and to make this move now is simply not in the best interest of the student athletes involved. Not just at LSU but at Houston and FSU. All of those players will not have to endure a season of uncertainty as their coaches will clearly be rumored to be the top choices as a replacement.

Also, it appears to me that this decision is based on the results of one play. While I know he has been on the hot seat, the fact is, had that play got off on time and LSU wins, Les Miles is still the coach. The timing of this was horrible.

I agree with everything you said but my issue is him being fired during the season. LSU knew they wanted him out at the end of last season and to make this move now is simply not in the best interest of the student athletes involved. Not just at LSU but at Houston and FSU. All of those players will not have to endure a season of uncertainty as their coaches will clearly be rumored to be the top choices as a replacement.

Also, it appears to me that this decision is based on the results of one play. While I know he has been on the hot seat, the fact is, had that play got off on time and LSU wins, Les Miles is still the coach. The timing of this was horrible.
Nope, not correct. The deal was done in November, then the U President choked because of the "perception" vs the state budget crisis, he is the one that tabled the initiative. Les was given a legit 2nd chance, and committed to fix the known issues. But he made no changes, and the game against Whiskey was the straw that got bent. MSU - same thing, barely survived. Offense still stuck. THE ONLY OFFENSE in the 128 teams NCAA with no 4th quarter points this year mind you. It was not about the last play, not at all. But somewhere thru that four game stretch, Les lost all of his support, my wife included.

Lot of truth in what a few of the LSU fans in thread are posting. Les Miles is/was paid big money to win games. Good 'ol coach Miles conference record in the SEC is sub-par especially when your look at the athletic talent, facilities and recruiting. LSU has it all to be a dominating force but has fell short.

It's obvious the game is evolving but Les Miles has not evolved as a HC. I understand 100% when a LSU fan mentions how predictable a HC can become. WVU fans should remember the great Don Nehlen, who after years of being a outstanding HC became predictable (e.g. The Draw Play). When the game evolved 'ol Dandy Don didn't but at least he retired a winner. Unlike Les Miles, who is a great coach who unfortunately got fired.

It could be what both LSU and Les Miles need by parting ways. A fresh start for a excellent football program as well putting some fire back into Coach Miles.

Lot of truth in what a few of the LSU fans in thread are posting. Les Miles is/was paid big money to win games. Good 'ol coach Miles conference record in the SEC is sub-par especially when your look at the athletic talent, facilities and recruiting. LSU has it all to be a dominating force but has fell short.

It's obvious the game is evolving but Les Miles has not evolved as a HC. I understand 100% when a LSU fan mentions how predictable a HC can become. WVU fans should remember the great Don Nehlen, who after years of being a outstanding HC became predictable (e.g. The Draw Play). When the game evolved 'ol Dandy Don didn't but at least he retired a winner. Unlike Les Miles, who is a great coach who unfortunately got fired.

It could be what both LSU and Les Miles need by parting ways. A fresh start for a excellent football program as well putting some fire back into Coach Miles.
Exactly, we all still love Les, and think going to maybe a Penn State would be perfect, perhaps with a different OC. Our play btw akin to your "draw" is the toss sweep. And the I formation? Even the pros no longer use it, for the most part. LIke the wishbone, it's fine in a scenario where you have superior athletes, but not when your competition can match up; gotta have more versatility and create more uncertainty.

Sorry, but the best interests of the student athletes don't matter in this situation.

They will still have their scholarship, meals, room and board, and everything else they were promised.

College is a time to learn about life and grow into adulthood, right? Well, then let this be a lesson to them - things change.

They'll need to "endure" a lot more in life than losing a coach. As my father liked to tell me, Life's Tough.

Many thanks to you LSU guys for confirming that it was in fact a "coaching" decision and not a "personality" thing.

As far as the "best interests of the student athlete" thing goes .... how can anyone make a judgment on that one way or the other at this point?

None of us have any freaking idea how this team will respond and what impact this situation may have on them. They may actually face this as a challenge in which they grow as individuals and a team. None of us know. You just have to take a step back and watch.

Wouldn't it be in the "best interest" of the players to learn that life can change in a moments notice but that you can still find a way to move forward and that unexpected change sometimes opens doors that wouldn't have been there without the change?

Last edited:
Many thanks to you LSU guys for confirming that it was in fact a "coaching" decision and not a "personality" thing.

As far as the "best interests of the student athlete" thing goes .... how can anyone make a judgment on that one way or the other at this point?

None of us have any freaking idea how this team will respond and what impact this situation may have on them. They may actually face this as a challenge in which they grow as individuals and a team. None of us know. You just have to take a step back and watch.

Wouldn't it be in the "best interest" of the players to learn that life can change in a moments notice but that you can still find a way to move forward and that unexpected change sometimes opens doors that wouldn't have been there without the change?

We don't want to stress them out.

Why wouldn't Shaw or Petersen leave for Lsu?

Shaw is a Stanford grad. Played WR. He is successful at Stanford making 3.9 million and sure to gt a big raise. 57-14 record as HC at Stanford.

Chris Peterson 3.2 million is rebuilding Washington and loves west coast.

LSU will not fork out 5 million for the next coach. Even though they can afford it.

It certainly looks as if you are right, but this is exactly what is the problem with college sports today. It is more business than doing what is best for student athletes. Again, not disagreeing with you, but it is a sad reflection of our society imo.
Sorry, but the best interests of the student athletes don't matter in this situation.

They will still have their scholarship, meals, room and board, and everything else they were promised.

College is a time to learn about life and grow into adulthood, right? Well, then let this be a lesson to them - things change.

They'll need to "endure" a lot more in life than losing a coach. As my father liked to tell me, Life's Tough.

This sure brings out all the folks not close to the program possessed of strong opinions with nada in the way of knowledge. PLAN A was in fact for Les to fix the broken stuff and stay, which included (1) a new OC and (2) let him do his job. After Les survived, he began crawfishing on all of his commitments, and CHOSE to keep his OC against all advice. The fanbase may be irrational, but not the smart money powerbrokers who have been watching this offensive display since 2011.

Specifics? OK, here. The senior transfer rule, NCAA Free Agency if you will. It's there, it must be embraced or at least thought through. It's a rule. LSU's QB situation, on display for all to see, has been BAD. While FSU and Bama and others hedged their bets, do you think LSU pursued this option? At least to lower risks? LSU has only had outbound transfer of seniors, none inbound. Check John Diarse at TCU for example. Now you've got me started....
On the transfer rule, isn't the current LSU QB Etling a transfer from Purdue?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT