ADVERTISEMENT

Sobering comments from ESPN story on Les Miles

Soaring Eagle 74

All-Conference
Jan 4, 2008

• "Nebraska has gone 19 years since its national championship. More to this point, it has gone 17 years without a conference championship. [after firing Solich]

• Michigan, which has won more football games than any program anywhere, hasn't won the Big Ten championship in 12 years.

• Syracuse fired Paul Pasqualoni in 2004 after he had one losing record in 14 seasons. The Orange have had nine losing seasons since."

Would anyone here trade Dana for Miles?

This wasn't a coaching decision....this was a personality decision.

Obviously there was some interpersonal issues there that affected this outcome, which is the last thing that should result in this.
I get that Les had an antiquated offense, but couldn't LSU do what Alabama did and bring in a fresh set of eyes (Kiffin) to update what they were doing?

IMO this says much more about the LSU administration than it does about Coach Miles.

Obviously there was some interpersonal issues there that affected this outcome, which is the last thing that should result in this.
I get that Les had an antiquated offense, but couldn't LSU do what Alabama did and bring in a fresh set of eyes (Kiffin) to update what they were doing?

IMO this says much more about the LSU administration than it does about Coach Miles.

You need to let coaches coach and live with the result. That's why they are there.

Do you think Alabama forced Kiffin on to Saban? Hell no.

Once you start forcing hires and dictating how the game is played on the field, then the coach should just be fired.

Head coaches run the program. Hires, philosophy, schemes, ect.

Miles was fired because LSU has inferiority complex over Alabama and that's about it.

Well ... I do think Miles keeping his hand on an ineffective offense AND the Alabama inferiority complex go hand in hand in this situation. Miles still wanted to play offense like he could get away with 10 years ago.

Reactions: HookEmTM
Well ... I do think Miles keeping his hand on an ineffective offense AND the Alabama inferiority complex go hand in hand in this situation. Miles still wanted to play offense like he could get away with 10 years ago.

Agree.

Steeleer said it wasn't a coaching decision. I assume he meant it was personal or political.

I disagree with that. He was well liked at LSU. They see the amount of talent coming into the program and wonder why they aren't as dominant as Alabama, and a see a coach who isn't doing enough to improve (changes to scheme and philosophy).

Reactions: JPelham
Agree.

Steeleer said it wasn't a coaching decision. I assume he meant it was personal or political.

I disagree with that. He was well liked at LSU. They see the amount of talent coming into the program and wonder why they aren't as dominant as Alabama, and a see a coach who isn't doing enough to improve (changes to scheme and philosophy).

I get what you're saying, but there has long been a rumor of an erosion there.

His ex-DC was quoted on that today and he left 2 years ago. This was more than just penis envy. This was personal and they look like fools for how this was handled now and last November.

Did Les likely outlive his time there? Probably. Will LSU regret this? Without question. This will be Frank Solich from Nebraska and Schottenheimer from the Chargers all over again. The saddest part is that you know he loves what he does and they did him like this.

This will affect who they can bring in and accept this job. Big shoes to fill for what appears to be a bunch of bumbling idiots running the place.

His ex-DC was quoted on that today and he left 2 years ago. This was more than just penis envy. This was personal and they look like fools for how this was handled now and last November.

Did Les likely outlive his time there? Probably. Will LSU regret this? Without question. This will be Frank Solich from Nebraska and Schottenheimer from the Chargers all over again. The saddest part is that you know he loves what he does and they did him like this.

This will affect who they can bring in and accept this job. Big shoes to fill for what appears to be a bunch of bumbling idiots running the place.

Agree. I should have mentioned that in the context of last season, there does appear to be major problems between the two parties.

What they did last season to Miles was awful. Letting it sit in the media like that.

My 2 cents....preseason hype on Fourette winning Heisman got the money donors over their heads. When the reality hit, blame has to go somewhere. New OL, teams focused on Fourette does not matter. You change 1 play in both games and LSU wins.

Reactions: JPelham

This makes no sense. The "Alabama" administration did not bring in Kiffin. Saban brought in Kiffin. 90+% of the time a head coach hires his own coaches, not the athletic department. Miles ran the football program the way he wanted to run it and chose not to adapt offensively. Now he is out of a job.

Reactions: EEReverent
David Shaw will be the next coach at LSU. If LSU hires Shaw, they will come out smelling like a rose. If they hire anyone else, probably not.

• "Nebraska has gone 19 years since its national championship. More to this point, it has gone 17 years without a conference championship. [after firing Solich]

• Michigan, which has won more football games than any program anywhere, hasn't won the Big Ten championship in 12 years.

• Syracuse fired Paul Pasqualoni in 2004 after he had one losing record in 14 seasons. The Orange have had nine losing seasons since."

Im 99% sure if Nebraska retained Solich and Syracuse retained Pasqualoni either program's fortunes wouldnt have changed much. In the case of Nebraska, their version of football was becoming incredibly outdated combined with the major spike of money and exposure coming in to the college game, their days as a national power were surely numbered and Frank Solich, as solid of a coach as he may be, was not going to prevent that from happening. For Syracuse, Pasqualoni did nothing after leaving Syracuse and eventually finished what he would have eventually done at Syracuse had they not fired him, and nose dived a decent young program in UConn right into the ground and left nothing but ashes in his wake.

Reactions: ColoradoMountaineer

The bottom line .. This is the SEC and you can't lose 7 of 9 games over three years to Alabama, Ole Miss, and Arkansas

It was a coaching decision. Miles has had OC after OC turn NFL-talent-loaded offenses into mediocre production. Why? Because Miles is painfully conservative. Recruiting won't miss a beat because Louisiana kids for the most part want to stay home.

So, Les had an antiquated offense. Really? Just how antiquated was his offense? Was it the 'we just lost to Auburn antiquated type?' Details please. Warez

When Syracuse fired Pasqualoni, I said it was a giant mistake. But everybody wanted more than a bunch of .500 season with some 9 and 10 win seasons mixed in. The program got greedy and now look at us.

I doubt the same will happen to LSU, but this is a curious decision for them to make.

When Syracuse fired Pasqualoni, I said it was a giant mistake. But everybody wanted more than a bunch of .500 season with some 9 and 10 win seasons mixed in. The program got greedy and now look at us.

I doubt the same will happen to LSU, but this is a curious decision for them to make.

There is no way Syracuse would have continued being a decent program under PP. That program was declining fast and look at how he did when he got his next shot at UConn.

Reactions: ColoradoMountaineer
You need to let coaches coach and live with the result. That's why they are there.

Do you think Alabama forced Kiffin on to Saban? Hell no.

Once you start forcing hires and dictating how the game is played on the field, then the coach should just be fired.

Head coaches run the program. Hires, philosophy, schemes, ect.

Miles was fired because LSU has inferiority complex over Alabama and that's about it.
lol, everyone in the SEC is losing their jobs because of Alabama. I say Auburn is next

There is no way Syracuse would have continued being a decent program under PP. That program was declining fast and look at how he did when he got his next shot at UConn.
When PP was fired a guy by the name of Ray Rice decommited from Syracuse and went to Rutgers.
Trust the balance of power changed when PP was fired.

Wait! One could say the same about Stew. Oh wait. WVU would have never done that.

They don't pay a coach millions of dollars a year and not pay attention to the W-L record. Yes, 7-6 at WVU doesn't get you fired. But it also doesn't get you $7 million a year.

Nick Saban, Urban Meyer and Jim Harbaugh probably are the three best college coaches in America today. They are being paid accordingly.

I agree that you hire a head coach and let him pick his staff. Then can him if he doesn't win as many games a season as they expect your school to win.

At WVU, Nehlen averaged 7 wins a season for 21 years and was kept.
But not at LSU, or Ohio State, or Michigan, or Alabama, or Oklahoma, or Texas.

Follow the money. The bigger armored truck you need to carry their yearly payment, the more games you have to win.

Meanwhile, let's see if we can figure out how to squeeze past the bloody knuckles team with the craft old codger coaching it on Saturday.

M anhandled Missouri, 26-11

O rdinary against Youngstown, 38-21

U nnerving miracle goalline tip/interception escapes BYU, 35-32

N euter Kansas State

T rample Texas Tech

A nnihilate TCU

I mpale Oklahoma State

N ail Kansas

E radicate Texas

E rectile dysfunction Oklahoma

R oll over Iowa State

S uffocate Baylor

When PP was fired a guy by the name of Ray Rice decommited from Syracuse and went to Rutgers.
Trust the balance of power changed when PP was fired.

And on those Ray Rice Rutgers teams were tons of future draft picks and long term NFL players. If Ray Rice went to Syracuse they do not just simply duplicate what RU did in that one great year they had.

And on those Ray Rice Rutgers teams were tons of future draft picks and long term NFL players. If Ray Rice went to Syracuse they do not just simply duplicate what RU did in that one great year they had.
Ray was the one NY recruit that changed the tide. Rutgers was not all that....

David Shaw will be the next coach at LSU. If LSU hires Shaw, they will come out smelling like a rose. If they hire anyone else, probably not.

Stanford coach David Shaw, isn't going to leave Stanford for any other college job.
Petersen isn't leaving Washington

Top 2 are Herman and Jimbo

Other candidates for the job...
P.J. Fleck - Western Michigan
Charlie Strong - Texas
Mike Gundy - Oklahoma State
Kyle Whittingham - Utah
Lane Kiffin - Alabama
Jimbo Fisher - Florida State
Bobby Petrino - Louisville
Art Briles - unemployeed
Tom Herman - Houston

Bryan Harsin - Boise State
Ed Orgeron - LSU interim head coach

They don't pay a coach millions of dollars a year and not pay attention to the W-L record. Yes, 7-6 at WVU doesn't get you fired. But it also doesn't get you $7 million a year.

Nick Saban, Urban Meyer and Jim Harbaugh probably are the three best college coaches in America today. They are being paid accordingly.

I agree that you hire a head coach and let him pick his staff. Then can him if he doesn't win as many games a season as they expect your school to win.

At WVU, Nehlen averaged 7 wins a season for 21 years and was kept.
But not at LSU, or Ohio State, or Michigan, or Alabama, or Oklahoma, or Texas.

Follow the money. The bigger armored truck you need to carry their yearly payment, the more games you have to win.

Meanwhile, let's see if we can figure out how to squeeze past the bloody knuckles team with the craft old codger coaching it on Saturday.

M anhandled Missouri, 26-11

O rdinary against Youngstown, 38-21

U nnerving miracle goalline tip/interception escapes BYU, 35-32

N euter Kansas State

T rample Texas Tech

A nnihilate TCU

I mpale Oklahoma State

N ail Kansas

E radicate Texas

E rectile dysfunction Oklahoma

R oll over Iowa State

S uffocate Baylor
Harbaugh will have to prove it to me.

No freaking way. First, we have invested and Dana and he has grown every year as a head coach. Second, why would anyone want a discarded mad hatter over Dana. The reason he was fired was he refused to adjust to the times and talent level, and is just another eason he can never been Saban who has changed his teams drastically over the past 5 years. And have you ever watched Les M clock mgt? It is the worst in the country.

Stanford coach David Shaw, isn't going to leave Stanford for any other college job.

Charlie Strong - Texas
Kyle Whittingham - Utah
Lane Kiffin - Alabama
Art Briles - unemployeed
Tom Herman - Houston
I don't know, I heard there was a plane from Stanford to Morgantown last night. My money is on Shaw coming to the Dub-V :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Would anyone trade Dana for Miles? I'll give you five Danas for Miles.

Miles is worried about more than football but has done amazing things in football alone. Although the concept and practice are derided by many, Miles carries on the Schembechler tradition of emphasizing team, teammates and creating men, not just football players. He takes on his many fan- and booster-related activities with vigor, even enthusiasm. He never fails to praise his employer and fans and it never sounds fake or rehearsed.

Contrast this with DH who has missed, if he schedules them at all, appearances at dinners and golf events. DH has ignored, on more than one occasion, requests to sign memorabilia for charity events even as a large number of signed items from...Nick Saban flow in. The demands on Saban's time and for his signature must be staggering but he makes time for WV organizations. DH is stingy with his praise - of players, of fans, of the school, of the state - and makes it clear, even unintentionally, that he's merely waiting on the next job. Offensive 'genius' doesn't get you very far when the opponent is physically superior at every position due to being pushed down to the end of the recruiting trough.

One offers loyalty even after being sacked...the other demands loyalty without offering it himself. Easy choice.

Would anyone trade Dana for Miles? I'll give you five Danas for Miles.

Miles is worried about more than football but has done amazing things in football alone. Although the concept and practice are derided by many, Miles carries on the Schembechler tradition of emphasizing team, teammates and creating men, not just football players. He takes on his many fan- and booster-related activities with vigor, even enthusiasm. He never fails to praise his employer and fans and it never sounds fake or rehearsed.

Contrast this with DH who has missed, if he schedules them at all, appearances at dinners and golf events. DH has ignored, on more than one occasion, requests to sign memorabilia for charity events even as a large number of signed items from...Nick Saban flow in. The demands on Saban's time and for his signature must be staggering but he makes time for WV organizations. DH is stingy with his praise - of players, of fans, of the school, of the state - and makes it clear, even unintentionally, that he's merely waiting on the next job. Offensive 'genius' doesn't get you very far when the opponent is physically superior at every position due to being pushed down to the end of the recruiting trough.

One offers loyalty even after being sacked...the other demands loyalty without offering it himself. Easy choice.

Looks like 5150 got himself a new screen name.

No freaking way. First, we have invested and Dana and he has grown every year as a head coach. Second, why would anyone want a discarded mad hatter over Dana. The reason he was fired was he refused to adjust to the times and talent level, and is just another eason he can never been Saban who has changed his teams drastically over the past 5 years. And have you ever watched Les M clock mgt? It is the worst in the country.

I always wonder how a coach like Miles would recruit at WVU, as so much of his success depends on getting high level recruits into the program.

Personally, I am still hoping Dana keeps things going this year and that there is no reason for this question to even be answered. Any true WVU fan should wish for him to be successful. With that said, if he does not win at least 8 games during the regular season this year, I think he will and should be gone. He has had his opportunity at that point and we have no reason to believe things ever get past mediocre.

As for Les Miles, I do not see it as trading Dana for him, but is he a proven head coach? So yes, I certainly would like to see him as our coach if necessary

Sometimes coaches just fit with a particular program and the coach, nor the program are ever as good after they separate. As much as I hate to admit it, and I do, I think that was the case with RRod and WVU. Do I think he will ever be back? Not likely. Do I even want him back? A few years ago I would have said absolutely not, and I admittedly still don't know if I would.

I bring this up only because some of those programs you mentioned were just good fits with their coach at the time. Solich at Nebraska, Pasqualoni at Syracuse are just two of the examples you mentioned. In answer to your question I would say, Not yet.

s

I always wonder how a coach like Miles would recruit at WVU, as so much of his success depends on getting high level recruits into the program.
That is a very good point. In my opinion that is what made Don Nehlen and RRod perfect fits for WVU. They understood the limitations of the program and recruiting kids to it. They knew they would never get enough of the 4 and 5 star players so they were the first ones on the door of the best 3 star guys and made them feel significant. When they got them to campus, they coached them and many of them left with way more stars than they came with. I am not sure how Miles would do in this situation. Of course, the entire game has changed and it is possible even those two I mentioned would not have the same success today.

Charlie Strong - Texas
Kyle Whittingham - Utah
Lane Kiffin - Alabama
Art Briles - unemployeed
Tom Herman - Houston

Why wouldn't Shaw or Petersen leave for Lsu?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT