ADVERTISEMENT

So what do you all think of the court ruling allowing the publishing of 3D guns blueprints?

If you want to lose fingers...

print away...

landing-3d-downloadable-gun-072318a.png

14579895300_5fbe13cdb9_o-1024x768.jpg

When the day comes you can 3D print an aluminum lower for an AR-15, then I'll pay attention. Right now it's much ado about nothing.

Reactions: rog1187
When the day comes you can 3D print an aluminum lower for an AR-15, then I'll pay attention. Right now it's much ado about nothing.

Yeh, it’s probably cheaper to just go buy a new or used AR than buying the equipment and material to make it yourself. Even if you have a criminal record, it’s not hard to get a gun.

You can't really stop someone from producing one once the information is available. Restricting it on the internet just means it'll go underground. All you can really do is make sure that if anyone is caught illegally using one, you fry their asses. How do you "ban" them? That hasn't worked with the metal & steel versions. I'd keep a real one handy on me just in case I run into some fool who'd like to see which one (plastic or metal) works better?

Last edited:
Can we detect them at the airports?
The way I understand it is that these "guns" would need metal firing mechanisms and bullets to be "useful". I used the term useful very loosely, because even with the medal firing mechanisms and bullets, they aren't very practical and would most likely explode/fail with first shot.

The way I understand it is that these "guns" would need metal firing mechanisms and bullets to be "useful". I used the term useful very loosely, because even with the medal firing mechanisms and bullets, they aren't very practical and would most likely explode/fail with first shot.

If you're stupid enough to use one for Defense and it blows up on you, that's the price you pay for stupidity. If you're stupid enough to try & use one in the commission of a crime, you'd be operating at par with most criminals who were always last in line when intelligence was being served, and the supply ran out.

Reactions: WVUCOOPER
I would expect them to be for one nefarious shot, one use.

Even then it would be unlikely to be reliable at all. Real, accurate guns are cheaper and easier to get. I’d focus on those.

Like two feet away from Trump while he's sitting on the can with his pants down around his ankles right @moe ? Bet you'd still miss!:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Even then it would be unlikely to be reliable at all. Real, accurate guns are cheaper and easier to get. I’d focus on those.
It's kind of hard to get a loaded handgun on a plane but maybe it's difficult to do with these as well, dunno.

It's kind of hard to get a loaded handgun on a plane but maybe it's difficult to do with these as well, dunno.
Have you missed the posts in this thread where we discuss needing medal components to make these things even close to fireable? If that scares you, imagine the shiv they can print to take on the plane

Reactions: rog1187
Have you missed the posts in this thread where we discuss needing medal components to make these things even close to fireable? If that scares you, imagine the shiv they can print to take on the plane

@moe was in line just ahead of the criminals as intelligence was being served. He didn't get much if any at all that day.

Doesn’t sound like much to be worried about.....yet anyway.

Nice to see a thread where an issue can be discussed without the little boys on the playground bashing and name calling.....whoops.....too late

Reactions: WVUCOOPER
Have you missed the posts in this thread where we discuss needing medal components to make these things even close to fireable?
No. I'm not an expert on airport security but maybe others are in the thread. Perhaps a .22 shell could be gotten though airport security along with any other small metal parts to reassemble the gun on the plane. Maybe this can't be done. I've never tried it.

No. I'm not an expert on airport security but maybe others are in the thread. Perhaps a .22 shell could be gotten though airport security along with any other small metal parts to reassemble the gun on the plane. Maybe this can't be done. I've never tried it.
Not an expert? How did you even get permission to post on this board?

Your comment on the plastic shiv is pretty scary. It seems metal is required for the firing pin, but if you didn’t require long-term reliability, I wonder if you could use a plastic firing pin with a metal core and cap. The metal part would look like a thick straight pin or a hinge pin for a laptop. It would be pretty easy to smuggle a plastic gun in your brief case and the firing pin core in your laptop. I’m sure some terroist is working on the bullets.

I’ve read it’s not too difficult to get one of these on a plane. How tough would it be to machine it and slip 3-4 0.22s inside.

I don't think you are guaranteed one shot before the thing blows up in your hand.
Why would it go off before pulling the trigger? I don't think a terrorist who is willing to give his/her life would care if they hurt their hand while putting a bullet in a pilot's head.

Why would it go off before pulling the trigger? I don't think a terrorist who is willing to give his/her life would care if they hurt their hand while putting a bullet in a pilot's head.
Pilot’s head? When was the last time you flew?

That's exactly what I said.

I don't think you are guaranteed one shot before the thing blows up in your hand.

If you thought I meant you could convert a tactical pen to a gun, I didn’t. You could use a modified tactical pen to conceal 0.22 cartridges. The plastic gun using that ammunition would be carried separately.

They never exit the cabin on overseas flights? was listening to a news story this morning how two flight crews are used on long flights...maybe none of them leave the cockpit.

The exit the cabin on domestic flights. When you gotta go ...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT