ADVERTISEMENT

SEC massively screwed up adding Missouri over WVU

JohnnyDrama388

Sophomore
Mar 23, 2015
Ill forever be a bit bitter with the SEC for choosing a career underachiever in the heart of the Midwest over WVU. I'm thankful to be a part of the Big 12 and genuinely like most of the fan-bases in the league, ...but we can't pretend this is an ideal fit.

WVU would have not only made geographical sense, but the "would have been" rivalries are what hurts the most. YEARLY games against close proximity schools like Kentucky, Tennessee, South Carolina would have been loads of fun. And that is before we even get to Florida and Georgia.

I realize Missouri may have a better academic reputation and represents a bigger market (even though St Louis doesn't give 2 shits about college football) but adding WVU to the SEC East would have been PERFECT for everyone involved.

Sadly it will always be a "what if".

Reactions: EERS 2 Ya
Kentucky vs WVU (in either football or basketball) is the biggest rivalry that isn't in college sports.

Bordering states in the heart of Appalachia, passionate fanbases, the Hatfields and McCoys history. Sad its never been more than the occasional NCAA tourney matchup.

Reactions: TIREPUNK
Ill forever be a bit bitter with the SEC for choosing a career underachiever in the heart of the Midwest over WVU. I'm thankful to be a part of the Big 12 and genuinely like most of the fan-bases in the league, ...but we can't pretend this is an ideal fit.

WVU would have not only made geographical sense, but the "would have been" rivalries are what hurts the most. YEARLY games against close proximity schools like Kentucky, Tennessee, South Carolina would have been loads of fun. And that is before we even get to Florida and Georgia.

I realize Missouri may have a better academic reputation and represents a bigger market (even though St Louis doesn't give 2 shits about college football) but adding WVU to the SEC East would have been PERFECT for everyone involved.

'What if' you decided to remain on a posting holiday? That 'would have been' great...

I think that Johnny is trying to beat Mizzou before we actually play them ... at least in his own mind if not on a chat board.

Mizzou wanted the B1G but weren't getting invited, so they became option #1 to join aTm over us or an ACC school. I'm not mad because we still got to the big boys' table.

They still should be in the SEC West.

Of course, if WVU doesn't take care of business and beat Missouri this fall, then this topic will go silent......

I don't think it really matters what the result of next months game is either way in the minds of the sec front office. They choose Missouri over wvu for more than one reason. I don't remember The big 12 asking for a new vote after they invited us considering 2 weeks later Louisville came into Motown and beat us.

I really wish the Big XII would have been bold and not only added WV but gone after Louisville, Cincy, Pitt "Cuse and Boston College.That would have spread the foot print of the Big XII into some larger TV markets plus set up a nice East/West Division

I am counting on you guys to kick the **it out of Misery.

Why do you guys want in the SEC? You want to go 5-7 or 4-8 that badly?

1) More money
2) Closer distance for games
3) More stability
4) Recruiting grounds are more in line with where WVU has recruited well in past. It's not like we don't get any recruits out of Texas, but we are mostly getting 2nd and 3rd tier recruits from there.

5) With the right coach, we can get our team to compete there. Our depth has already gotten better in the B12.

Reactions: lenny4wvu
Maybe not massively but Besides Missouri having more TV sets I agree. for the long run and taking history into account wvu is a better fit. But when conferences are chasing the $$$ nothing makes much sense in college football today.

I really wish the Big XII would have been bold and not only added WV but gone after Louisville, Cincy, Pitt "Cuse and Boston College.That would have spread the foot print of the Big XII into some larger TV markets plus set up a nice East/West Division

I am counting on you guys to kick the **it out of Misery.

I would have been happy if they had added Louisville and Pitt as 11 and 12 teams. We would have Pitt as a rival school and UL as a 4 hour trip on away games. There would not be as much pressure to add these nobody G5 Schools.

BC = no
SU and Cincy = nobody cares about them.

Hate to bring up Hank Hill's name, but he once said that WVU was close to getting into the SEC in the early 90's, but the SEC took South Carolina. Not sure how true that is because I can never envision Pastilong being that proactive.

Reactions: gcb
Hate to bring up Hank Hill's name, but he once said that WVU was close to getting into the SEC in the early 90's, but the SEC took South Carolina. Not sure how true that is because I can never envision Pastilong being that proactive.

That was Nehlen's doing not Pastilong. Speaking of HH I gave him 600.00 once because he said he could not pay his taxes. Dude never appreciated it.

Pastilong was all over it.

And we were close.

This is true, we were close, but MOST of what Hank Hill said was total BS. Like Bruno, I gave him a substantial sum to help pay his taxes because I thought he was in serious trouble. It was a loan although I never saw a dime. I think he used the money to open a boat repair business. I felt bad for his wife and daughter but Hank is another issue. Another life lesson learned the hard way.

This is true, we were close, but MOST of what Hank Hill said was total BS. Like Bruno, I gave him a substantial sum to help pay his taxes because I thought he was in serious trouble. It was a loan although I never saw a dime. I think he used the money to open a boat repair business. I felt bad for his wife and daughter but Hank is another issue. Another life lesson learned the hard way.

What became of that fat pig anyways?

what if they move Alabama or LSU to the Big 12? Would that make you happy?

we can hypothetical this all day long.

No it wouldn't because it would still be a geographical nightmare.

WVU has always belonged in the SEC with Virginia Tech.

VT, Kentucky, South Carolina, Tennessee would all make for GREAT yearly rivalries and are very manageable road trips.

Missouri has many more cable subscribers paying for SEC Network than the state of WV could have had. It is that simple. We all know this.

WVU is a great culutrual and georgraphical fit for the SEC. I do not give a rats ass about an extra few (million) bucks or so the Missouri "tv subsricbers" bring in. Last I check the SEC made enough money already.

GREED IS NOT GOOD!

Glad to know that Johnny I Bring the Drama feels that the SEC is making too much money. (Maybe H if she gets in can tax them and spread the wealth!) Just wondering.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT