ADVERTISEMENT

šŸ”„šŸ”„BREAKINGšŸ”„šŸ”„ Sagaba Konate will enter the draft and sign with an agent.

try to honor that agreement within reason.

I'd rather have someone who is hungry to win than someone who is looking to just hone certain parts of his game

First point...within reason is bullshit. Honor it or don't agree in the first place. More I think about it....Sags is a jerk.

Second point...totally agree....which is why I refer you to my response to your first point.

First point...within reason is bullshit. Honor it or don't agree in the first place. More I think about it....Sags is a jerk.

Second point...totally agree....which is why I refer you to my response to your first point.

Well what I meant was within reason would be a scenario where say he suffers a high ankle sprain in December or January. He is only cleared by the docs to play the last 2-3 games of the season where the season is already pretty much over. I would not fault any player with even the slightest professional potential sitting out in that scenario.

So I is always more important than team? Sounds a lot like "push the women and children out of the lifeboat and make room for me." That's precisely why teams fall apart. Selfish. Period.

Rootmaster my teammate.
I will be over in a hour. Tell the old lady to put on that dress I like.
Can't be selfish. I is not more important than the team.

Not sure where you are getting your arguments from, but when I've deigned to speak with you in the past it has been mostly name calling and suppositions. Apparently I am immature for thinking that when someone agrees to be part of something, they try to honor that agreement within reason. I am apparently naĆÆve and selfish for seeing the obvious which is that Sags came into last season only for himself even if it was at the expense of the team. I never said he wasn't a quality player. Hell, he was likely our best player in terms of physical gifts. However, since he knew his shot blocking, rebounding, and post play was not going to get him into the league he worked on his mid range game and ball handling. This led to multiple turn-overs, empty possessions, and less of a chance at rebounding. I even defended Grier because at least he played his heart out during the season and was honest about skipping out on a meaningless game. Sags did not play within the role for which he was best suited to help the team and at best used some discomfort as a smoke screen to give up on a season before conference play even started. Hence my point. I'd rather have someone who is hungry to win than someone who is looking to just hone certain parts of his game. I honestly do wish him luck because it is his choice and making the most of his athletic opportunity is important. I just see his pursuit of that being unhelpful to the team based upon last year both on and off the court. Do you honestly think he helped improve his prospects by coming back this season? Perhaps if both he and Huggins knew what they know now would they try to do this all over again? I doubt it.

None of that matters. Huggins recruited him, headaches come with the talent. Teams force out players who dont perform, I guess the argeement you keep flapping about is one-sided.

In 2017 Sags excited the entire fan base. He was headed to being one of the all time great WVU big guys, and fans loved him. Enter 2018 and it was painfully obvious that Sags was modeling his game after what the NBA scouts told him instead of the actual plays his coach called. That was pretty much it for me. I was off his bandwagon before he got fake hurt because his mindset was everywhere but the "team". He finally played his 2017 team-oriented game against Spitt and had an amazing game and then quits while he's ahead. You gotta know when to fold'm I guess. We'll see if his gamble pays off. I dont think it will personally.

Reactions: Rootmaster
Take a look at where he is from....poor and ridiculously, miserably hot.

I do not know about his personal life, although I assume he has many people depending on him. Any professional salary, whether its a short one-time NBA salary, or a long mid-level professional career overseas will be a life changing income for his family living back home.

We need to accept that these players have matters more important than their short time playing at WVU.

Frankly, most of these players would be better off bypassing college basketball completely and just start earning an income. 18 - 22 are peak athletic years, seems silly many athletes are required to waste that time in a non-paying position.

I know a good bit of people who grew up in Africa. Chances are, if he's in America for any reason related to higher education, his family has money. I will promise you he didnt grow up spearing zebras and picking through trash. Poor families there wouldnt even have the chance for their kids to come to America for any reason

I did not enter the University agreeing to be part of a team. I did attend WVU to further my future prospects and I did so as an individual. I also finished what I agreed to when I did internships in the summers for research projects. I never agreed to do everything I could to complete a project and then give up just because things were not going well. Try to destroy me all you want, Konate mysteriously couldn't play the rest of the season the very game after he broke the shot block record at WVU without looking impeded in any way. This mysterious knee injury that no one can define kept him sidelined during a lost season where it was pretty clear no NCAA bid was forthcoming. Sags tested the waters last year and didn't like what he saw. He wanted to come back to help improve his game and increase his draft stock. Part of that is agreeing to be part of the team and doing whatever it takes to help the team win even if meant not being the star of the game. He was repeatedly unwilling to do that in the early part of the season and then at best used a "hurt" not an injury to avoid risking himself. Although it is also possible that he feigned the whole thing to not appear to quit on the team which was his actual intent and was not so worried about injuring himself as much as not looking good/improving his press. Like I said, even the best case scenario makes it looks like Sags was not a great team player.

The NBA expects athletes to play through the pain, not take up a space on the roster and watch the games from the bench.

I know a good bit of people who grew up in Africa. Chances are, if he's in America for any reason related to higher education, his family has money. I will promise you he didnt grow up spearing zebras and picking through trash. Poor families there wouldnt even have the chance for their kids to come to America for any reason

Ive read he has 13 siblings, and an article on another site references some poor conditions back home.

His older brothers have been good players but I dont know if they played professionally.

His home is one of the poorer areas in Africa, and the world.

None of that matters. Huggins recruited him, headaches come with the talent. Teams force out players who dont perform, I guess the argeement you keep flapping about is one-sided.

I'm confused. So is the intent of the WVU basketball team to win games or allow players to hone the weak part of their game on the court? If Sags working on the weaker part of his game was not conducive to the team winning, why would we want him back? Most players when honing the weak parts of their game do not completely abandon what made them effective in the first place. Pat White didn't completely abandon running when he was trying to improve his pocket passing as a senior. I would think Huggs expected Sags to use the facilities to work on his game independently and then in practice show if his expanded game could be effective. But primarily he would continue to mostly play the role that got him noticed the year before. Sags didn't do that and if he came in knowing he wasn't willing to primarily be a rim protector and low post player, he was coming in knowingly making the team weaker for his benefit. Much more parasitic than symbiotic. But remember this entire argument is based upon not so much trashing the kid, but rather my statement that it's best for both parties for Sags to go given last season proved that Sags priorities and the team's priorities had a hard time coexisting.

I'm confused. So is the intent of the WVU basketball team to win games or allow players to hone the weak part of their game on the court? If Sags working on the weaker part of his game was not conducive to the team winning, why would we want him back? Most players when honing the weak parts of their game do not completely abandon what made them effective in the first place. Pat White didn't completely abandon running when he was trying to improve his pocket passing as a senior. I would think Huggs expected Sags to use the facilities to work on his game independently and then in practice show if his expanded game could be effective. But primarily he would continue to mostly play the role that got him noticed the year before. Sags didn't do that and if he came in knowing he wasn't willing to primarily be a rim protector and low post player, he was coming in knowingly making the team weaker for his benefit. Much more parasitic than symbiotic. But remember this entire argument is based upon not so much trashing the kid, but rather my statement that it's best for both parties for Sags to go given last season proved that Sags priorities and the team's priorities had a hard time coexisting.

Kevin Jones was a great example of the type of player you describe. Developed a 3-point shot but never lost focus on rebounding.

Good luck to Sags. Hope it works out. But if you think about it he hasn't been team WVU since 2017-18 season

Konate actually averaged more rebounds this year than last.

You don't block shots on offense....
Him playing on the perimeter on offense has nothing to do with him protecting the rim.

It is like some of you never watch a basketball game or even played the sport.

Konate will have to develop into a Montrzell Harrell type of player.

Watch Harrell....
Same size as Konate and plays off the pick and roll.
NBA wants bigs like this. This is why Texas plays their bigs like this and they have had more bigs drafted than pretty much everyone the last 10-15 years.

He also averaged more points than last year. Not hard to average more when you only play 8 games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT