ADVERTISEMENT

Mattwv’s WVU Basketball Coach Search Odds (DMs Open)

mattwv

All-Conference
Gold Member
Dec 10, 2001
03/15 MattWV’s Odds:

Byington - +225 (Rumor is he flew in to meet with WVU before the sunbelt. His friends and family are telling people that the position is his but I am not buying it quite yet. Why is his name not rumored for more jobs?)

Devries - +300 (Rumor is he also had meeting with Wren. Iowa farm boy who has been very content to stay at one place for a long time would be a great culture fit. The heavy interest from Wren seems to track since Wren has had an obsession with luring McDermott since the summer. Within the past couple of days, no name has been mentioned more in relation to wvu but it seems like Michigan could be an issue here too)

Schertz - +400 (Schertz had a zoom with Wren today. Schertz is surprisingly on Louisville’s short list per Forde and kentucky bet dot com . Does he have more job hype than the public realizes?)

Smith - +600 (some smoke but find it hard to believe. Stanford job and others seem like more natural fit but there is definitely mutual interest between wren and smith. very odd)

Medved - +800 (Playing in semis of conference tournament, maybe he picks up steam? Shares the same agent as Byington. Morgantown connection. Checks enough boxes from Wren’s presser to not completely rule out ‘especially’ if he makes a tourney run.

May - +1300 - (Not Happening. Not enough interest on his side. Michigan opening makes it more unlikely.)

Kerns - +2000 - (Lot of interest from his side but things would really have to go sideways with the search for this to happen)

Forbes - +2000 - (Wake’s new NIL support makes it less likely.)

Holloway - +3000 - (Rumor is he may be using job openings to get raise and more $$$ commitment to the program)

Beilein - +3000 - (Not happening.

Wade - +4000 - (Unfortunately Not Happening. Sigh)

Kelsey - +4000 (Fortunately Not Happening. Sigh of Relief.

Mack - +4000 (Rumor is he has been a lock to Vandy for quite a while behind the scenes)

Thoughts?

03/15 MattWV’s Odds:

Byington - +225 (Rumor is he flew in to meet with WVU before the sunbelt. His friends and family are telling people that the position is his but I am not buying it quite yet. Why is his name not rumored for more jobs?)

Devries - +300 (Rumor is he also had meeting with Wren. Iowa farm boy who has been very content to stay at one place for a long time would be a great culture fit. The heavy interest from Wren seems to track since Wren has had an obsession with luring McDermott since the summer. Within the past couple of days, no name has been mentioned more in relation to wvu but it seems like Michigan could be an issue here too)

Schertz - +400 (Schertz had a zoom with Wren today. Schertz is surprisingly on Louisville’s short list per Forde and kentucky bet dot com . Does he have more job hype than the public realizes?)

Smith - +600 (some smoke but find it hard to believe. Stanford job and others seem like more natural fit but there is definitely mutual interest between wren and smith. very odd)

Medved - +800 (Playing in semis of conference tournament, maybe he picks up steam? Shares the same agent as Byington. Morgantown connection. Checks enough boxes from Wren’s presser to not completely rule out ‘especially’ if he makes a tourney run.

May - +1300 - (Not Happening. Not enough interest on his side. Michigan opening makes it more unlikely.)

Kerns - +2000 - (Lot of interest from his side but things would really have to go sideways with the search for this to happen)

Forbes - +2000 - (Wake’s new NIL support makes it less likely.)

Holloway - +3000 - (Rumor is he may be using job openings to get raise and more $$$ commitment to the program)

Beilein - +3000 - (Not happening.

Wade - +4000 - (Unfortunately Not Happening. Sigh)

Kelsey - +4000 (Fortunately Not Happening. Sigh of Relief.

Mack - +4000 (Rumor is he has been a lock to Vandy for quite a while behind the scenes)

Thoughts?
You're alive? I thought for sure Dana or the aliens did you in. 😜

Reactions: mattwv
The Sopranos Quote GIF

His wife belongs to a very prominent family from the area. I don’t want to out the name of the family but it rhymes with “Wrestle Toad”.

Reactions: Shortgapbob
Good stuff.

I’m hoping it’s DeVries but would be fine with Byington too. I think DeVries could turn this ship around quicker than Byington.

The turnaround speed may not be the best indication of long-term success. One may bring a few players and be in a much better situation in that first year.
My opinion is just based off past results. DeVries hit the ground running from year 1 to now at Drake. Byington is more up and down. Obviously, I know not the best way to look at things but I think it still speaks highly of DeVries looking at that way. But i know its not an equal comparison side by side.

If it is DeVries, is son Tucker is an interesting player - dudes balling out at that level. Not sure about others on his squad.

But Byington could also bring a couple players.

Assuming we keep same level of NIL support, all these guys will win and win early. It’s a great year to be be adding a coach. I doubt wren is here for much longer but I love that he is making this hire.

Assuming we keep same level of NIL support, all these guys will win and win early. It’s a great year to be be adding a coach. I doubt wren is here for much longer but I love that he is making this hire.
Will the level of NIL support from this last year continue? I figure a lot of it came from Huggs supporters and wasn’t long term. Happy to hear that if I’m wrong.

Any idea when it will be announced? I know it’s a huge decision but seems to me the sooner the better.

Any idea when it will be announced? I know it’s a huge decision but seems to me the sooner the better.
Per Wren, the hire will be made by the Final Four. Probably because the candidates will all be in the NCAA Tournament and will likely want to finish their seasons first. Doubtful any of them reach the NC game.

Reactions: locustwv
03/16 Mattwv’s Updated Odds:

Byington - +225 (Same as before. NC state job not opening up yet so not seeing a whole lot of competition for him at this time.)

Devries - +250 (Little better odds than yesterday. Rumor is Ok State is also in on Devries, which would indicate he is more motivated to leave than I originally thought. Tons of smoke around Devries to WVU right now. Michigan is one to watch but as of right now it seems they are looking at bigger names)

Schertz - +400 (Same odds. It looks like Indiana St may be left out of the tournament. So a team will move on him quickly. Not ever having a tournament appearance will eliminate him from some bigger jobs)

Smith - +800 (Higher odds than before. Just not seeing it. Rumor is he will take about any job he can get right now)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT