ADVERTISEMENT

šŸ”„šŸ”„BREAKINGšŸ”„šŸ”„ Sagaba Konate will enter the draft and sign with an agent.

Konate Declares for NBA Draft

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (April 22, 2019) ā€“ West Virginia University menā€™s basketball forward Sagaba Konate has submitted his name for the 2019 NBA Draft. Konate plans to sign with an agent.

ā€œEvery kid who plays basketball growing up has a dream of playing in the NBA,ā€ coach Bob Huggins said. ā€œWe wish Sags nothing but the best as he chases that dream.ā€

The junior from Bamako, Mali, played in eight games in 2018-19, averaging 13.6 points and 8.0 rebounds per game. Against Pitt on Dec. 8, Konate set the WVU career record for blocked shots with 191.

Konate Declares for NBA Draft

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (April 22, 2019) ā€“ West Virginia University menā€™s basketball forward Sagaba Konate has submitted his name for the 2019 NBA Draft. Konate plans to sign with an agent.

ā€œEvery kid who plays basketball growing up has a dream of playing in the NBA,ā€ coach Bob Huggins said. ā€œWe wish Sags nothing but the best as he chases that dream.ā€

The junior from Bamako, Mali, played in eight games in 2018-19, averaging 13.6 points and 8.0 rebounds per game. Against Pitt on Dec. 8, Konate set the WVU career record for blocked shots with 191.
"Against Pitt on Dec. 8, Konate set the WVU career record for blocked shots with 191."

That's one hell of a game. No wonder he's entering the draft.
[if i did smiley faces, Vernon, i would insert one here.]

Apparently you can still pull out the draft if you withdraw by a certain date. Hopefully he will do that if he keeps his brother away from the program.

Doesn't make any sense for WV or for Konate.
You brought in Oscar because you thought Konate was leaving.

Much rather have the scholarship than Konate because of the fact that you already have two bigs.

Someone would end up getting their feelings hurt
Most likely Culver.

Good luck... wonā€™t remember much about him as he never reached his potential. I donā€™t view him as a true Mountaineer. JMO
Sign a LOI, enroll, perform above expectations, stay four years, leave all your blood, sweat, and tears on the field or court, understand that you are here to serve the whims of the fanbase. Give absolutely everything you have and our wonderful fanbase will bestow upon you the moniker of "forever a Mountaineer." Fail in any of those and you'll ostracized and forgotten.

Reactions: mzman
So he didnt enter last years draft because his style of play doesnt fit the new NBA, and he is undersized to be a C and was advised to work on his game more. Enter last season, he has one really good game against a shitball team the entire year, and then has a mysterious injury that shelves him for the season. Meanwhile, Jevon Carter "barely" made it on a team in the NBA, and he mostly struggled to shoot. So now Saggins Kanote is going to the NBA too.... pffft LOL! And Will Grier will be the first QB drafted... And Bob Hertzel will win the pulitzer prize. And all roads in WV will be fixed by the end of summer. Good luck in Europe Sag

Konate is not an European style player.

They are looking for bigs who can shoot and pass.

If Konate gets drafted it will be at the end of the second round.
He will be in the G League.

He will learn to shoot, play the pick and roll.

Pretty much a perimeter big.
What they would use him for in Europe but Europe has bigger lanes.

If he fails he probably end up in China or Australia.
Not Europe. European teams are interested more in players like Jermaine Haley.

Never see a player come over from Europe that can't pass, shoot and space the floor.

West Virginia is there to win games.

Konate shooting 20 foot jumpers won't help.

In the G League....Wins and losses are nice but players like Konate get 24/7 coaching 365 days a year and the coaches are there to develop players more than anything.

WV and the coaching staff can't give Konate what he should have learned when he was 12 and 13 years old.
High ceiling player without the basketball experience.

Don't know if he can make the NBA, but its pretty clear he wasn't going to see the floor at WVU again. Wish him well and best of luck.

giphy.gif

Sagaba Konate will enter the draft and sign with an agent.

I for one am very glad he came here and played for WVU and I am equally glad that he is leaving. Clearly showed that he has a different agenda. I really think its time for him to go to the next level whatever that turns out to be.

Can't understand all the whining about that over rated player. He was good but not all world. Bottom line he was another Mountaineer who quit on his team mates. Even if doesn't follow through I hope he's not welcomed back. Would be a continuing cancer on next years team. Move on.

So, if I read this somewhat right, it's possible to sign with an agent, declare for draft, but return to school if not drafted, if certain criteria are met...??? U saying there's a chance he returns, Vernon?

That will depend on his wing span, vertical and private workouts.

Konate has the chance to become a Montrzell Harrell type of player.

An athletic small ball center that can play the pick and roll but also create off the roll.

This is not happening at West Virginia.
Not in Bob Huggins offense....

Why play for free when you are not developing.
Worse case scenario he signs what they refer to as a 2 way contract

I hate talking bad about former mountaineers and try not to, but I truly think the team is better off with him leaving. I wish him luck.

Reactions: Rootmaster
Good luck... wonā€™t remember much about him as he never reached his potential. I donā€™t view him as a true Mountaineer. JMO

You will remember more about him than he will remember about you, but who knows...maybe someday you will reach a station in life where Konate will spend his discretionary time discussing your personal matters on a message board, although I find that unlikely to happen.

If we only remembered those who reached their potential, you'd likely be unknown in this world.

Reactions: Soaring Eagle 74
Best for both parties. Good luck to him, but he is clearly only about himself and would likely be a liability to the team despite his physical ability to be an asset. Would much prefer a hungry, less talented player like Cam from years ago than a player that will bail at the slightest adversity.

When you call someone else selfish....

It pretty much makes you look selfish as well because you are saying that your wishes should be put above someone else's.

Konate isn't truly being selfish because he is looking out for himself.
To act like that is such a bad thing....Pretty much is saying that you should tell Konate what is best for him.

He needs to develop...

This is why college basketball is going to die.
The G League provides better coaching, more coaching and you get paid.
Konate isn't getting the tools he needs to play in the NBA at WV and he is not getting paid

Don't think he is getting bad information at all.
Plus if Konate played last year you wouldn't even know who Culver was.
If he played this year he would be taking Culver's minutes.
There is no way you can put both on the floor for extended minutes and not hurt your team.

This is how they use bigs in the NBA...

But for them to be guarded out there they have to be a threat to shoot.

Konate at West Virginia...Bob Huggins is there to win basketball games.
Allowing Konate to develop into a NBA big man is not important to him.
For Konate it is. That is his life.

Much rather hear an emotional based argument based on....
Irrational thoughts that are being pushed by known trolls

Best for both parties. Good luck to him, but he is clearly only about himself and would likely be a liability to the team despite his physical ability to be an asset. Would much prefer a hungry, less talented player like Cam from years ago than a player that will bail at the slightest adversity.
Did you go to college to improve your future prospects? Did you take your degree and go into the workforce? Why didn't you stay and continue to take classes to help the university via your tuition? Seems a little selfish that you took off once you milked all the benefits from school.

Konate is a quitter and should play for West Virginia until I say he can go.
Since he is leaving West Virginia he sucks. Probably won't even get drafted. Might play in some shithole Eastern European country.

How dare he think that his future and his family's future is more important than West Virginia basketball.

What is wrong with some of you people.
Just because you have a platform doesn't mean you can say whatever you want.

He needs to do what is right for him and his family. I hope he returns but if not, thanks for all the memories and helping us get to back-to-back sweet sixteens. Good luck, Sags!

Just curious. Did Sags decide this on his own, or did Huggs politely tell him that it's time for him to move on. After all, we need a center and rim protector, not a high post perimeter shooter. I agree. He needs to polish his skills in the G League, not in Motown. Good Luck Sags.

Did you go to college to improve your future prospects? Did you take your degree and go into the workforce? Why didn't you stay and continue to take classes to help the university via your tuition? Seems a little selfish that you took off once you milked all the benefits from school.

I did not enter the University agreeing to be part of a team. I did attend WVU to further my future prospects and I did so as an individual. I also finished what I agreed to when I did internships in the summers for research projects. I never agreed to do everything I could to complete a project and then give up just because things were not going well. Try to destroy me all you want, Konate mysteriously couldn't play the rest of the season the very game after he broke the shot block record at WVU without looking impeded in any way. This mysterious knee injury that no one can define kept him sidelined during a lost season where it was pretty clear no NCAA bid was forthcoming. Sags tested the waters last year and didn't like what he saw. He wanted to come back to help improve his game and increase his draft stock. Part of that is agreeing to be part of the team and doing whatever it takes to help the team win even if meant not being the star of the game. He was repeatedly unwilling to do that in the early part of the season and then at best used a "hurt" not an injury to avoid risking himself. Although it is also possible that he feigned the whole thing to not appear to quit on the team which was his actual intent and was not so worried about injuring himself as much as not looking good/improving his press. Like I said, even the best case scenario makes it looks like Sags was not a great team player.

I did not enter the University agreeing to be part of a team. I did attend WVU to further my future prospects and I did so as an individual. I also finished what I agreed to when I did internships in the summers for research projects. I never agreed to do everything I could to complete a project and then give up just because things were not going well. Try to destroy me all you want, Konate mysteriously couldn't play the rest of the season the very game after he broke the shot block record at WVU without looking impeded in any way. This mysterious knee injury that no one can define kept him sidelined during a lost season where it was pretty clear no NCAA bid was forthcoming. Sags tested the waters last year and didn't like what he saw. He wanted to come back to help improve his game and increase his draft stock. Part of that is agreeing to be part of the team and doing whatever it takes to help the team win even if meant not being the star of the game. He was repeatedly unwilling to do that in the early part of the season and then at best used a "hurt" not an injury to avoid risking himself. Although it is also possible that he feigned the whole thing to not appear to quit on the team which was his actual intent and was not so worried about injuring himself as much as not looking good/improving his press. Like I said, even the best case scenario makes it looks like Sags was not a great team player.

Lol. Grow up.

That is my advice. This isnt little League.

Make no mistake about it, if he wasnt a quality player he'd be forced out or over-recruited, or dismissed.

Everyone there knows the score. You are naive or selfish.

Take a look at where he is from....poor and ridiculously, miserably hot.

I do not know about his personal life, although I assume he has many people depending on him. Any professional salary, whether its a short one-time NBA salary, or a long mid-level professional career overseas will be a life changing income for his family living back home.

We need to accept that these players have matters more important than their short time playing at WVU.

Frankly, most of these players would be better off bypassing college basketball completely and just start earning an income. 18 - 22 are peak athletic years, seems silly many athletes are required to waste that time in a non-paying position.

I actually wish him well. Heā€™s an immature young kid who unfortunately listened to the wrong people last year. Despite the animosity, this is actually a smart decision for him and WVU. There was a very likely chance he wouldnā€™t even start next year. Why potentially waste another year for him and the program?

Lol. Grow up.

That is my advice. This isnt little League.

Make no mistake about it, if he wasnt a quality player he'd be forced out or over-recruited, or dismissed.

Everyone there knows the score. You are naive or selfish.

Not sure where you are getting your arguments from, but when I've deigned to speak with you in the past it has been mostly name calling and suppositions. Apparently I am immature for thinking that when someone agrees to be part of something, they try to honor that agreement within reason. I am apparently naĆÆve and selfish for seeing the obvious which is that Sags came into last season only for himself even if it was at the expense of the team. I never said he wasn't a quality player. Hell, he was likely our best player in terms of physical gifts. However, since he knew his shot blocking, rebounding, and post play was not going to get him into the league he worked on his mid range game and ball handling. This led to multiple turn-overs, empty possessions, and less of a chance at rebounding. I even defended Grier because at least he played his heart out during the season and was honest about skipping out on a meaningless game. Sags did not play within the role for which he was best suited to help the team and at best used some discomfort as a smoke screen to give up on a season before conference play even started. Hence my point. I'd rather have someone who is hungry to win than someone who is looking to just hone certain parts of his game. I honestly do wish him luck because it is his choice and making the most of his athletic opportunity is important. I just see his pursuit of that being unhelpful to the team based upon last year both on and off the court. Do you honestly think he helped improve his prospects by coming back this season? Perhaps if both he and Huggins knew what they know now would they try to do this all over again? I doubt it.

Reactions: Wahama78
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT