ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting the state...

gcb

All-American
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
of WV by WVU.

Year after year following great seasons, good seasons, average seasons and plain old bad seasons kids have left the state for other programs. Primarily programs that would be regarded as superior.

Doesn't feel good or look good but it happens and will continue to happen, I'm guessing.

But reviewing recruiting is more fair and understandable when looking through the prism of several years worth of classes. It is then that one can see WVU's dominance.

At the same time though, WVU almost never loses a WV kid to Marshall, not a knock just a fact. Emphasis on never.

Terry Echols, the lb from Wayne(can't remember his name)(excellent player) and one or two others in about the last 40-45 years decided on the Herd. WVU DID come in late on several kids after they announced for MU and they stayed with MU(good for them).

All that being said.....it is NOT a victory for Marshall when a kid leaves the state for a better program than WVU.

MU's issue in WV is still WVU's superiority as evidenced by competition between the tow schools.

And to this year's class.....most honest WVU fans don't really feel good about what is transpiring at this time.

It has happened before.

of WV by WVU.

Year after year following great seasons, good seasons, average seasons and plain old bad seasons kids have left the state for other programs. Primarily programs that would be regarded as superior.

Doesn't feel good or look good but it happens and will continue to happen, I'm guessing.

But reviewing recruiting is more fair and understandable when looking through the prism of several years worth of classes. It is then that one can see WVU's dominance.

At the same time though, WVU almost never loses a WV kid to Marshall, not a knock just a fact. Emphasis on never.

Terry Echols, the lb from Wayne(can't remember his name)(excellent player) and one or two others in about the last 40-45 years decided on the Herd. WVU DID come in late on several kids after they announced for MU and they stayed with MU(good for them).

All that being said.....it is NOT a victory for Marshall when a kid leaves the state for a better program than WVU.

MU's issue in WV is still WVU's superiority as evidenced by competition between the tow schools.

And to this year's class.....most honest WVU fans don't really feel good about what is transpiring at this time.

It has happened before.
I just can't get excited about recruiting one way or another...just been around too long I guess. Seen too many can't miss guys do just that!

Reactions: WVU82 and 30CAT
I just can't get excited about recruiting one way or another...just been around too long I guess. Seen too many can't miss guys do just that!

Exactly....We, as fans, of course get all excited about recruiting classes each year. After the season starts, it's all forgotten. Little do we know, the majority of these classes won't cut it.

Then again, we have had unranked and "unheardofs" make a huge impact.

I'd love to see the stats from all schools on their classes, just to see who ended up playing versus who didn't. I would imagine we all wouldn't go so crazy over recruiting, if we could actually see those stats.

Exactly, I'll wait until NLOI day to see who wants to be a Mountaineer... it's all bs 'til then.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT