ADVERTISEMENT

Polls think more of WVU than some WVU fans

Cuyahoga Falls Eers

All-American
May 29, 2001
WVU is #23 in the writers and coaches polls, the ONLY unranked team to move into the Top 25 after last week’s ton of scares. Even though Kansas kept it close till the final quarter blowout to 56-34.

As usual, it’s #1 Alabama and then everyone else.

Oklahoma remains #3 despite the Baylor scare.

TCU is #9 and #11 and the team the Horny Frogs beat, Oklahoma State, dropped 7 and 8 spots to #14 and #15.

So the Big 12 has 40% of its members in the Top 25. The SEC got 6, or 43% of its members, in the Top 25. The Big 10 got 4, or 33.3% of its members, in the Top 25.

And the writers and coaches like WVU better than some WVU fans, who predict a 6-6 season even after the Kansas game. Go figure. With friends like that, who needs enemies.

M angy special teams + absence of Simms & Long = loss to Virginia Tech, 31-24

O bliterated East Carolina, 56-20

U nhinged Delaware State, 59-16

N ot pretty but we’ll take it, over Kansas, 56-34

T errorize TCU

A nnihilate Texas Tech

I ncinerate Baylor

N ullify Oklahoma State

E rectile dysfunction Iowa State

E masculate Kansas State

R eam Texas

S hock Oklahoma

Reactions: eerdoc
Well who knows WVU more? The lifelong fans who follow them and watch every second of every game, or the sportswriter in California who sees our scores now and then? Are they even aware that it was a 1 possession game in the 4th? I'm not saying be negative, but we have obvious issues that worry me going forward.

Well who knows WVU more? The lifelong fans who follow them and watch every second of every game, or the sportswriter in California who sees our scores now and then? Are they even aware that it was a 1 possession game in the 4th? I'm not saying be negative, but we have obvious issues that worry me going forward.
But those issues have nothing to do with sports writers in California. We have far too many folks disguised as fpptball critics who really have no skill what so ever at applying rational thought and reaching reasonable conclusions using the mounds of available data available to them for evaluation. Simply incapable of having positive thoughts and treating the team with respect and appreciation while determining that they really are not on a level with scum such as Marshall.

You really don't want the answer to that do you?

Not too worried about anything vs KU. In a total dud of a game on the road we took control early, lost interest, and regained control after it got interesting. On to the next one.

As for the polls, #23 doesn't mean anything

Not too worried about anything vs KU. In a total dud of a game on the road we took control early, lost interest, and regained control after it got interesting. On to the next one.

Here, here ........... at this point in the season #1 doesn't mean anything as well.

That's incorrect being ranked in the top 25 does mean something. For example The Mountaineers next game is against #9 ranked TCU. So naturally when two ranked teams play each other there is a increased fan and media interest. Also team merchandise sales tend to increase when a team is climbing in the polls. There is far more positive affects when a team is the top 25 then not being ranked.

That's incorrect being ranked in the top 25 does mean something. For example The Mountaineers next game is against #9 ranked TCU. So naturally when two ranked teams play each other there is a increased fan and media interest. Also team merchandise sales tend to increase when a team is climbing in the polls. There is far more positive affects when a team is the top 25 then not being ranked.
Listen to the wise man. Being in the Top 25 doesn't win the game for you. Just ask Oklahoma State. But it does garner national attention. And it gets you a better time slot on TV for your games. I guarantee you that, if WVU and Oklahoma both are top 10, the November 23 game in Norman will be a night game on TV. And then hopefully they'll play again a week later in the Big 12 conference title game, which was a stupid thing to set up since every Big 12 team plays every other Big 12 team during the regular season, the ONLY Power 5 conference to do that. The Big 12 got it right, but let the other 4 make them wimp into one. If Oklahoma and WVU are #1 and #2 in the Big 12, play in Norman and then play again in the conference title game, but they split the 2 games, then isn't that going to eliminate the Big 12 from another national playoff? So the Big 12 got bullied into another mistake. I'll just enjoy watching my alma mater screw up the Big 12 schedule by beating Oklahoma twice in 8 days!!!! That should get the Mountaineers into the playoffs.

M iscuing special teams + absence of Simms & Long = loss to
Virginia Tech, 31-24

O bliterated East Carolina, 56-20

U nhinged Delaware State, 59-16

N ot pretty but we’ll take it, over Kansas, 56-34

T errorize TCU

A nnihilate Texas Tech

I ncinerate Baylor

N ullify Oklahoma State

E rectile dysfunction Iowa State

E masculate Kansas State

R eam Texas