ADVERTISEMENT

Pens -- Summer 2017

In a world of truly ****ed-up people.....a fair number of them who post daily on the OT Board (and some on the other boards as well).....I give you the idiotic owner of the Ottawa Senators, Eugene Melnyk. After seemingly taking the cake last season with his numerous tirades on Sid after the Methot slash, he ups the bar again; come within 1 OT goal of playing for the Cup, and respond by reducing the capacity of his arena.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/ottawa-senators-reduce-capacity-canadian-tire-centre-1.4279640

It's hardly a secret the Sens had trouble drawing last season, but reducing the capacity right now somehow seems kinda strange to me for a guy who pines for ticket revenue.

From what I've been able to read.....and glean.....it certainly looks as though GMJR isn't in any hurry to add the #3 (or #4) center everyone thinks they need.

I honestly don't know how much this is based on an eventual contract offer to McClement, but it certainly appears as though Rowney has (so far) been largely plugged in for one of the openings. Nobody asked me, but I think the summer talk about a possible Guentzel move back to center is just that, talk.

Speaking of Guentzel, I suspect he'll get a very long leash on Sid's wing this season. Mostly because that would seem to be the best way for him to avoid the sophomore slump that rookie "stars" like Dylan Larkin and Shane Gostisbehere dealt with last season......and what guys like Zach Werenski and Matt Marner and Willy Nylander and Matthew Tkaczuk and Sebastan Aho better watch out for in 2017/18.

Like McDavid last season, I'm not sure that Auston Matthews or Patrick Laine have to worry about that quite so much. Meanwhile, it sounds like Letang has been given the green light from the doctors for full contact in camp......which is obviously great news. However, it's hard to think of him as a guy who'll be able to play 70-75 games; at least, that is, until he proves it.

Pensburgh has unearthed the Riley Sheahan (through Elliotte Friedman) rumor, with local Pens scribe Jason Mackey tossing around Derrick Pouliot's name in exchange.....even though Mackey apparently has no clue if Detroit would actually be interested in him.

You probably weren't wondering about Pens career minor leaguer, Tim Erixon.......admittedly, I wasn't.......but I read this morning he's headed for Devils camp under a PTO. Guess that officially (and completely) closes the book on the Kessel deal.

In a world of truly ****ed-up people.....a fair number of them who post daily on the OT Board (and some on the other boards as well).....I give you the idiotic owner of the Ottawa Senators, Eugene Melnyk. After seemingly taking the cake last season with his numerous tirades on Sid after the Methot slash, he ups the bar again; come within 1 OT goal of playing for the Cup, and respond by reducing the capacity of his arena.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/ottawa-senators-reduce-capacity-canadian-tire-centre-1.4279640

It's hardly a secret the Sens had trouble drawing last season, but reducing the capacity right now somehow seems kinda strange to me for a guy who pines for ticket revenue.
No idea why these updates are no longer appearing on my red alert on RHS of screen of late??? Saw this day it was announced laughed a bit, and then felt a bit bad for the Sens with the way of all things Leaves fans were having a laugh fest. Gene has always been more than a bit off the wall...and he is getting worse. Sell the tix cheaper moron, or offer any incentives you can, offer em up to those who want to go but can't....nobody wants to be known as the Pitt Panthers of the North....in all seriousness build a centrally located stadium downtown already, quit cryin poor to the gov't and taxpayers to help you out...cause I know you have the $$$ and bought in years back DICKHEAD!

No idea why these updates are no longer appearing on my red alert on RHS of screen of late??? Saw this day it was announced laughed a bit, and then felt a bit bad for the Sens with the way of all things Leaves fans were having a laugh fest. Gene has always been more than a bit off the wall...and he is getting worse. Sell the tix cheaper moron, or offer any incentives you can, offer em up to those who want to go but can't....nobody wants to be known as the Pitt Panthers of the North....in all seriousness build a centrally located stadium downtown already, quit cryin poor to the gov't and taxpayers to help you out...cause I know you have the $$$ and bought in years back DICKHEAD!

Hey t, I realize you know way more about the situation in Ottawa than yours truly; but NHLN Radio has actually spent a fair amount of time on this issue.....which obviously picked up immensely when the Sens made their playoff run (and the unsold seat inventory became a pretty widespread story in the hockey Press).

While I honestly couldn't give two shits about the Sens fanbase, I do appreciate that the CT Centre may indeed have been built out in the middle of bum****, and that there's evidently little in the immediate area to accommodate 19K Sens fans aside the crappy traffic everyone supposedly has to deal with.

So, it's a PIA for Sens fans to go 41 times a year to Kanata; fair enough. And while I realize Melnyk wasn't the team owner when the Palladium was developed and built, he eventually bought the damned team anyway. As a result, it's up to him to accelerate the new arena process in an environment where everyone wants it but nobody apparently is willing to pay. I guess I assume he's preparing to go to his grave awaiting the same deal Edmonton gave Oilers ownership, which I don't know exists in Ottawa.

I do appreciate his fortune took a hit some years ago which contributes to the team's finanicial limitations; but not unlike what Pirates' fans in Pittsburgh are dealing regarding their (comparatively) skin-flint ownership, you'd shouldn't play with the big dogs if you're not willing to use your claws. It also doesn't help that Melnyk comes off.....from a distance, at least.....as legitimately a little off-kilter emotionally sometimes.

Pens local scribe Jason Mackey reporting two particularly interesting tidbits this morning:

--Horndog's surgically repaired hand may not be doing as well as everyone might have hoped coming into camp......though I think there's some belief the team may be going easy on him. I'm pretty sure the team's official position currently remains that he'll be ready for the regular season.

--Regarding his PTO, Jay McClement evidently is NOT impressing anyone thus far (admittedly after only the first couple days of camp).

DK's site also reporting that Pouliot is largely stinking up camp by continuing to make the same defensive mistakes which have plagued him his entire career this far. Doing nothing to detract from his growing reputation as a bust, and therefore having questionable value to anyone......which I assume is meant to blunt any recent notion he could be a key part of a Riley Sheahan trade.

For tonight's first pre-season game vs Buffalo at Penn State, the Sabres......presumably because they're playing at owner Terry Pegula's alma mater, and he wants his team to put on a good show.....are playing much of their full Pro roster including Jack Eichel, Evander Kane, Jason Pominville, Matt Moulson, and Zach Bogosian. The only roster guys the Pens are reportedly sending to State College are Archibald, Hagelin, Hunwick, Maatta, Niemi, and Rust.

I presume the Pens' first (or next) pre-season game where you'll see something more resembling their Pro roster will be the Kraft Hockeyville USA game this Sunday night versus St Louis in Belle Vernon PA......which won't be played in Belle Vernon after all. The Rostraver Ice Gardens in Belle Vernon.....as did the Johnstown barn 2 years ago.....was the recipient of $150K in improvements in winning this Hockeyville 2017 promotion. Here's how the Pitt Trib Review described them:

Among the biggest improvements are the new LED lights in the arena, new lobby flooring, new Zamboni controls, locker room renovations and upgrades to the cooling system.

The lights — increased in number from 32 to 64 — now shine down on a large Kraft Hockeyville logo in the center of the rink.

The system's candle power is more appropriate for hockey games, Murphy said. “It is beautiful, and it no longer hums,” he said.

The upgrades, which exceed the $150,000 prize for winning the contest, also include: new protective netting for spectators, a new kick plate around the base of the rink, new banners on the lobby side of the arena, new manifold piping under the floor and new piping for one of the older compressors.

Improvements to the Zamboni include installation of the Level-Ice Laser Leveling System, designed to ensure a uniform ice cut, he said.

“Keeping the ice at the same level reduces the run time on the compressors,” he explained.

The Ice Garden emerged as the winner of the Kraft Hockeyville contest after three rounds of online voting in the spring. The third and final round on April 24-25 pitted the historic facility against the Bloomington (Minn.) Ice Garden.

Contest officials said Rostraver was one of more than 1,300 communities across the country — accounting for nearly two of every three rinks nationwide — that submitted stories demonstrating their passion for hockey.

Although the title included the chance to host the Penguins in the preseason, the game against the St. Louis Blues will instead be played at the UPMC Lemieux Sports Complex in Cranberry, Butler County, at 8 p.m. Sunday.

Kraft Hockeyville officials said in August that the Rostraver Ice Garden was “not equipped at this time” to host an NHL preseason game but did not offer specifics.
Not sure exactly what "not equipped" to host an NHL preseason game is supposed to mean; from what I can tell, those details are being held very close to the vest by both Kraft.....who I assume isn't at all pleased (and probably downright embarrassed) their awarded building won't be part of the NBCSN telecast......and the Ice Gardens itself. With unspecified locker room improvements said to be part of the package, you'd think the pros could find a way to deal with them for one lousy evening.

If so, then I'm sort-of leaning toward thinking the issue might be the building's basic infrastructure may simply be incapable of accommodating a full-scale televised broadcast......though I'd think if power was a problem, the network could manage shortages via generators in their production trailers. You're our electrical expert, t......what say you about that notion ??

Reactions: torontoeers
For tonight's first pre-season game vs Buffalo at Penn State, the Sabres......presumably because they're playing at owner Terry Pegula's alma mater, and he wants his team to put on a good show.....are playing much of their full Pro roster including Jack Eichel, Evander Kane, Jason Pominville, Matt Moulson, and Zach Bogosian. The only roster guys the Pens are reportedly sending to State College are Archibald, Hagelin, Hunwick, Maatta, Niemi, and Rust.

I presume the Pens' first (or next) pre-season game where you'll see something more resembling their Pro roster will be the Kraft Hockeyville USA game this Sunday night versus St Louis in Belle Vernon PA......which won't be played in Belle Vernon after all. The Rostraver Ice Gardens in Belle Vernon.....as did the Johnstown barn 2 years ago.....was the recipient of $150K in improvements in winning this Hockeyville 2017 promotion. Here's how the Pitt Trib Review described them:

Among the biggest improvements are the new LED lights in the arena, new lobby flooring, new Zamboni controls, locker room renovations and upgrades to the cooling system.

The lights — increased in number from 32 to 64 — now shine down on a large Kraft Hockeyville logo in the center of the rink.

The system's candle power is more appropriate for hockey games, Murphy said. “It is beautiful, and it no longer hums,” he said.

The upgrades, which exceed the $150,000 prize for winning the contest, also include: new protective netting for spectators, a new kick plate around the base of the rink, new banners on the lobby side of the arena, new manifold piping under the floor and new piping for one of the older compressors.

Improvements to the Zamboni include installation of the Level-Ice Laser Leveling System, designed to ensure a uniform ice cut, he said.

“Keeping the ice at the same level reduces the run time on the compressors,” he explained.

The Ice Garden emerged as the winner of the Kraft Hockeyville contest after three rounds of online voting in the spring. The third and final round on April 24-25 pitted the historic facility against the Bloomington (Minn.) Ice Garden.

Contest officials said Rostraver was one of more than 1,300 communities across the country — accounting for nearly two of every three rinks nationwide — that submitted stories demonstrating their passion for hockey.

Although the title included the chance to host the Penguins in the preseason, the game against the St. Louis Blues will instead be played at the UPMC Lemieux Sports Complex in Cranberry, Butler County, at 8 p.m. Sunday.

Kraft Hockeyville officials said in August that the Rostraver Ice Garden was “not equipped at this time” to host an NHL preseason game but did not offer specifics.
Not sure exactly what "not equipped" to host an NHL preseason game is supposed to mean; from what I can tell, those details are being held very close to the vest by both Kraft.....who I assume isn't at all pleased (and probably downright embarrassed) their awarded building won't be part of the NBCSN telecast......and the Ice Gardens itself. With unspecified locker room improvements said to be part of the package, you'd think the pros could find a way to deal with them for one lousy evening.

If so, then I'm sort-of leaning toward thinking the issue might be the building's basic infrastructure may simply be incapable of accommodating a full-scale televised broadcast......though I'd think if power was a problem, the network could manage shortages via generators in their production trailers. You're our electrical expert, t......what say you about that notion ??
By my read on the scenario your feelings are exactly right...wtf? I often install more minor setups up to say 100 kw on my own or manage a crew for much larger installations powering hospitals, hotels, and yes mid sized arenas. Damn straight they could provide the production crew enough juice for an afternoon or evening and quite easily, even economically. When we come in and set these sytems up it is bam, bam, BAM and within a few hours. Somebody is cheaping out here bigtime imo. Even the most basic facilities that I have dealt with in terms of arenas have a reasonably sized electrical distribution centre. And in your experience CM, I imagine any improvements to an arenas cooling system would be benificial? Although I would also admit 150 g's doesn't go quite as far as it used to, with some of this modern equipment.....another thing, the LED lights? Would make a MASSIVE difference in terms of TV viewing experience vs those old Metal Hallide battleships from years past...
One more thing...we do have the Kraft Hockeyville here too, although I think it may be called hockeytown? Can't remember....

The real question is however, do you have the phenomenon known here as 'Kraft Dinner' down there? I dont believe I have ever seen it in my travels, but could be mistaken? ....essentially it is a crappy pasta in a box, with fake cheese mix (poor mans mac and cheese). I lived on it for a few years in college ....the challenge back then was to amp it up however you could, especially after coming back from the bar...lazy guys would just do it trailer park with chopped up hot dogs...torontoeers would often include Fresh ground beef, garlic, ketchup (Heinz of course....although French's now gives em a run for their money up here), onions, and fresh grated parm or asagio! :wink:

Oh...edit....btw, do you secretly wish that Reaves were dressed and could re-arrange Kane's face in some manner or another? Cause I do!

Last edited:
Reactions: COOL MAN

FYI CM....figured you and Euell would get a kick outta this....my recent adopt Chevy may be reunited with his sister here at home permanent. She looks a lot like my first girl Avalon. I think it will be quite special to see them together again.
http://newf-friends.blogspot.ca/2017/06/miya.html?m=1

Reactions: COOL MAN
By my read on the scenario your feelings are exactly right...wtf? I often install more minor setups up to say 100 kw on my own or manage a crew for much larger installations powering hospitals, hotels, and yes mid sized arenas. Damn straight they could provide the production crew enough juice for an afternoon or evening and quite easily, even economically. When we come in and set these sytems up it is bam, bam, BAM and within a few hours. Somebody is cheaping out here bigtime imo. Even the most basic facilities that I have dealt with in terms of arenas have a reasonably sized electrical distribution centre. And in your experience CM, I imagine any improvements to an arenas cooling system would be benificial? Although I would also admit 150 g's doesn't go quite as far as it used to, with some of this modern equipment.....another thing, the LED lights? Would make a MASSIVE difference in terms of TV viewing experience vs those old Metal Hallide battleships from years past...
One more thing...we do have the Kraft Hockeyville here too, although I think it may be called hockeytown? Can't remember....

The real question is however, do you have the phenomenon known here as 'Kraft Dinner' down there? I dont believe I have ever seen it in my travels, but could be mistaken? ....essentially it is a crappy pasta in a box, with fake cheese mix (poor mans mac and cheese). I lived on it for a few years in college ....the challenge back then was to amp it up however you could, especially after coming back from the bar...lazy guys would just do it trailer park with chopped up hot dogs...torontoeers would often include Fresh ground beef, garlic, ketchup (Heinz of course....although French's now gives em a run for their money up here), onions, and fresh grated parm or asagio! :wink:

Oh...edit....btw, do you secretly wish that Reaves were dressed and could re-arrange Kane's face in some manner or another? Cause I do!

1) No question that improvements in building cooling would reduce the load on the sheet chillers; however, I seriously question whether an old barn like the Rostraver Ice Gardens actually has comfort cooling (though I could be dead wrong about that). Honestly, I suspect the improvements to which you refer actually apply to the ice plant (rather than comfort cooling). Anyway, here's another piece on the building (and the game) from the Pitt Trib Review (from early August).....

Well, everyone knew the arena needed upgrades.

Rostraver Ice Garden, which won the NHL's Kraft Hockeyville USA contest a few weeks ago, will no longer host a Penguins preseason game Sept. 24 against the St. Louis Blues because it is “not equipped at this time” to do so, the Penguins said in a news release Wednesday.

The arena still will hold fan activities from Sept. 21-24, including a Penguins practice session on the morning of Sept. 24.

But the preseason game originally scheduled for Rostraver rink in Westmoreland County will now take place an hour away at UPMC Lemieux Sports Complex in Cranberry, Butler County, which is the Penguins' practice and training facility.

The Ice Garden, which opened in 1965 and once hosted Penguins practices, won $150,000 in capital improvements and the opportunity to host a 2017-18 NHL preseason game in April.

Ice Garden owner Jim Murphy said he was notified of the NHL's decision at 1 p.m. Wednesday.

“I'm not going to characterize it a disappointment because of the good relationship I've had with the Penguins and NHL over the years ... serving as a practice facility in the 1970s, and having hockey camps here when Mario (Lemieux) first came to town,” Murphy said.

“But it would have been a lot nicer for the community if the game were held here,” he said.

Murphy said he wasn't given specifics of the rink's shortcomings for the preseason game but noted that multiple improvements are under way. Plus, he said, there will be multiple hockey events related to Rostraver's win in the contest held Sept. 21-24.

“I don't have all the specific details, but there will be a food drive, some hockey clinics mixed in, and on Friday there is supposed to be a community gala and Saturday a 5K event,” Murphy said.

“Then on Sunday, the Penguins will have a meet-and-greet and hold their pre-game practice here at the rink ... although the Blues are not coming here for their morning skate,” Murphy said.

Murphy said any fans at the Rostraver rink who purchase tickets for the 7 p.m. preseason game will be bused about 65 miles from Rostraver to the Lemieux complex.

Murphy said extensive lighting improvements have been made. The rink is in the midst of a “major piping job,” and subcontractors have been hired to complete the flooring. Improvements planned to the Zamboni include installation of a laser so the ice cut is consistent.

“The NHL has also said it will partner up and provide some physical plant enhancements including adding netting to screen fans from pucks, installing some kick plates at the base of the boards with the ice and some board replacement,” Murphy said.

The Ice Garden emerged as the winner of the national contest after three rounds of online voting in April. The third and final round on April 24-25 pitted the historic facility against the Bloomington (Minn.) Ice Garden.

Contest officials said Rostraver was among more than 1,300 communities across the country — accounting for nearly two of every three rinks nationwide — that submitted stories demonstrating their passion for hockey.
So, as you can see, it was League who decided the building couldn't accommodate the game, not its owners. My theory about lack of available power was just that; a theory. But you seem to feel, t, that power really isn't (or shouldn't) be an issue. If that's the case, then I have no idea what the story is here. Maybe Rostraver couldn't guarantee the League the improvements would be complete by time they showed up in town. Regardless, Kraft simply has to be pissed off about 9 different ways.

2) Probably 95% of the US population grew up on (and in many cases, are still chowing it down) Kraft Pseudo-Mac-and-Cheese, and it's available absolutely everywhere that sells groceries (including C-stores). Speaking only for myself, I was always amazed (as a kid) how the envelope of orange chalk dust actually turned into a reasonable facsimile of cheese sauce. I gotta' admit I was never one to doctor it up; I ate it pretty much as plain as possible. I did occasionally goose the amount of butter the directions called for, but little more than that.

3) Your comment, t, about wanting Reaves to level Kane has me wondering if you were actually able to watch the Sabres game the other night. If so, was Kane out there running some of the Pens' kids ?? If so, he was probably pissed off at all the black and gold and all the LET'S GO PENS screaming he heard in a game which was theoretically a Buffalo home game.

I myself am waiting for the first time Reaves is on the ice against Tom Wilson or Brandon Dubinsky. While Wilson is perhaps a little less likely to be out there playing aganst Sid, we know Dubinsky takes regular shift vs Sid.....and it'll be interesting to see if HCMS runs Reaves out there with him for a few shifts to make a point. (especially in Columbus). Meanwhile, there are plenty of other Pens (Guentzel, Rust, Sheary, and even Kessel) who need protection against goons like these two, and where Reaves should come in handy. I suspect he'll actually see a fair amount of ice time on the 3rd and 4th lines against Wilson over the course of the season.

Speaking of Reaves, did you see the report over the weekend where he and Sestito met in a corner and both came out of it hurting (Reaves' arm, Sesitito's ankle) ?? Neither denied the contact with the Press, but both seemed quick to acknowledge that contact of that type really wasn't proper in camp. But you have to wonder if Sestito figures his days with the organization are numbered, and he's going out swinging.

The following is a piece I came across coming off today's news that Mike Lange is finally beginning to back off his radio P-b-P duties; he'll pass on about 25 road games this season. Anyway, that news in today's Pitt Post Gazette alerted me to a piece that ran last Spring which I totally missed regarding Lange and the two greats of the current broadcast booth:

They’re among the best hockey has to offer and possess more than 120 combined years of NHL broadcasting experience. So it should come as no surprise that Mike Lange, Mike “Doc” Emrick and Bob Cole are all working the Eastern Conference semifinals.

The first playoff meeting between the NHL’s top two regular-season clubs since 2001 has meant three of the sport’s all-time play-by-play greats are together narrating every twist and turn between the Capitals and Penguins as only they can — Lange for the Penguins Radio Network, Emrick for NBC and Cole for Rogers Sportsnet.

What follows are a collection of stories and thoughts, reported while watching a morning skate with perhaps the most identifiable hockey voices in Pittsburgh, the United States and Canada:

Emrick still has the rejection letter. Because, of course he does. The year was 1974. Emrick and Lange actually applied for the same job. Lange got it. Emrick received a letter in the mail telling him he had been a finalist, and he should be proud of that.

“Boy, did they ever pick the right guy,” Emrick said. “I wouldn’t have been the right choice. I only had one year of experience, and I wouldn’t have fit in like Mike did.”

That story encapsulates very well what Emrick thinks of Lange and what Lange thinks of Emrick. Emrick believes Lange was the perfect fit here because he’s similar to Bob Prince, a persona, voice and style that has become distinctly Pittsburgh.

Lange respects Emrick for his detailed approach. “I’m a Pirates fan,” Emrick said. “I was made a Pirates fan by Bob Prince. I can’t imagine how many people cheer for this team because of Mike.”

“Mike and I have known each other forever,” Lange said. “I can unequivocally tell you, there’s nobody who works harder in detailing and being prepared for a game. Really. It is pretty amazing to watch him work. And it shows. It’s what he puts into it that enables him to be a great broadcaster.”

Excuse me, sir, Braden Holtby’s dad, Greg, interrupts before introducing himself. “I just wanted to say that I met you,” Greg Holtby said clearly in awe of Cole.

The 83-year-old Cole, of course, obliged.

After nearly five decades of calling NHL games, rising to icon status in Canada, Cole was still honored that a player’s dad spotted him, then was observant enough to point out how Greg Holtby’s facial features very closely resembled his son’s.

Before moving on with his day, Cole makes sure to stop back and visit the Holtbys, to say hello, to talk a little hockey. “The most important thing for me is to have people say they enjoyed the game, regardless of me,” Cole said. “If they enjoyed the game, that’s what it’s all about.”

The problem here is that millions of people do enjoy hockey because of Cole. And that might be undercutting it a bit. He’s a walking Hall of Fame exhibit, the link between legendary Canadiens coach Toe Blake and John Hynes, the NHL’s youngest bench boss.

“Toe Blake would give me his lines, too,” Cole cracked, continuing his ongoing, often comical war against today’s coaches and their super-secret ways. “It’s great when you can talk to the coach quietly,” Cole continued. “Just for my own preparedness. You hear the coach of a team tell you who’s playing with whom tonight to start the game. When you get the coach of the team to speak to you like that, you feel like you’re part of it.”

Part of how Lange got his current job drew an incredible laugh from Emrick, who after all these years had never heard the story. Lange had sent a stuffed roadrunner to the Phoenix Roadrunners — one of his earliest employers — and baseball bats to baseball teams, little mementos by which to remember him. With the Penguins, he taped some currency to the envelope.

“The one I sent here, that got [former Penguins executive] Jack Button’s attention,” Lange said. “I said, ‘I’d like to put my two cents into this thing.’ So I took two pennies and taped them on the letter. To this day, the Button boys remember that.”

Lange’s relationship with Prince had Emrick — a diehard Pirates fan who’s up for baseball talk all day every day — enthralled. “He befriended me immediately,” Lange started on “The Gunner.” “I was a big baseball fan, too. I happened to stumble on him at the ballpark. We got talking. Long story short, when he got fired, he said, ‘Lange, I’m going to get you that job.’ I said, ‘You’re crazy.’

“My conversations with him taught me so much about Pittsburgh. I just observed. He told me to go see the people. Go out and talk to them. Go where they are. Visit bars. He told me all of these things, which are so true about Pittsburgh. “He was dead on with how to relate to people. He was a dynamite announcer. There’s a lost art in that today. Those guys were so big.”

Lange, Emrick and Cole have distinctly different styles, but here’s the one thing on which they agree: The broadcasting locations are getting worse and worse.
Cole has yet to do a game in Edmonton’s new rink, Rogers Place. Lange cautions how far away the broadcast position is. “I don’t know how I’m going to do it,” Cole said.

This ignites some incredible stories. The first was from Emrick and involved a New Jersey Devils color switch.

“I will say this for [former Devils general manager] Lou Lamoriello: When [the team’s colors] went from red and green to red and black, in July, on the cement floor at the Meadowlands, he put the prototype jerseys on some of the office staff and some of his lieutenants went up on the second tier,” Emrick said. “He had them walk around on the cement floor. He wanted to see whether they could read them.”

A bad broadcasting position at Madison Square Garden once infuriated Emrick, 70, so much that he decided to do his own sort of calculation, just for fun. “I went up in the morning and paced it off,” Emrick said. “Bobby Thompson’s home run in 1951 was hit a lesser height and a lesser distance than we were from the visitors’ bench in Madison Square Garden.”

The broadcasting position at Bell Centre in Montreal is among the best in the league, and those who call games from there apparently have Cole to thank. Ron Corey, who was the Canadiens president at the time, tapped Cole on the shoulder at one morning skate and asked him to come to his office, where he had architectural mockups of Bell Centre.

Cole said his piece. Corey listened. “It’s convenient,” Cole said. “There’s lots of room. You’re right not over the ice but pretty close. It’s at a decent height. No excuses anymore.”

Emrick remembered that time in Boston, when he and Bill Clement left the old Garden to amazement when they saw Cole and Dick Irvin Jr. broadcasting a game from the stands. “Nope. Harry Neale,” Cole corrected, remembering the moment with striking clarity, down to how the monitor was affixed to the seats in front of him. “I’ll tell you what happened, Mike.”

While Cole worked a game in-person in Boston, he stayed after with Neale to call a Capitals-Rangers opening-round game via TV monitor because someone had gotten sick. Cole was happy to help, but he had one request: to have someone in the penalty box at MSG relaying how much time was left and any pertinent information. Small problem: In a one-goal game late, the Rangers pulled their goalie. Nobody told Cole.

“The last time I saw anything, it was a one-goal game,” Cole said. “Then here’s this breakaway. I’m going into breakaway style. I don’t know the net is empty. He broke aware clear [Cole doesn’t remember the shooter]. He was all alone. The son-on-a-[expletive,] he walked it right into the net. He rolled it in. That’s the first time I really saw. They learned from their first experience.”

Cole doesn’t have much use for morning skates.“There’s nothing I can garner from watching a morning skate that makes me feel OK about the game that night.
“People ask me all the time, ‘What do you think will happen?’ ” Cole continued. “I said, ‘I don’t.’ That’s why we come to the game, to find out what’s going to happen.”

Lange, 69, is a little different. He’s at every one, home and road, watching who skates with whom, then collecting sound from the dressing room. Before games, Lange has his own corner of the media room, where he scribbles notes and talking points for the evening.

On a trip to the PPG Paints Arena sundae bar recently, Emrick shook his head in amazement. “In his corner back there, I was going for the ice cream,” Emrick said. “Mike was on the other side of the ice cream. He had the lined paper. He was down to point No. 26.

“I was thinking, ‘This guy’s been doing this for 40 years, still comes to morning skates … he could probably get by as some guys in some towns do with not coming to the skates. He still comes to the morning skates.

“He still was down to No. 26 on the items that he had ready to go for a radio broadcast, that he might not have a chance to get in, but at least he was there. If it weren’t fun, we wouldn’t be doing it. But it is fun.”

Part of what makes these guys great are their distinctive styles. Emrick can do loud. Lange has sayings. Cole could make you swear there’s a fireplace in your living room, even if there’s not.

They’re all linguists, locating and using pinpoint phrasing to describe what they see. They’re experts at something else, too: the feel of a hockey a game.
“I like to flow with the game if I can,” Cole said. “It’s the most exciting game in the world. You don’t have to invent it. It’s there. You just follow it. When it gets itself in front of you, you be there, too.”

While their ages might say one thing — Emrick jokingly called this “the senior citizens story” — these guys are as intense as anyone. They want everything right. They hate mistakes. And they absolutely get nervous. “You’re part of the biggest game in the country,” Cole said in reference to Penguins-Capitals on this night. “How can you not get butterflies?

“If you get butterflies before your on-air work begins, there’s a good chance you’re in it. And if you’re not in it, you shouldn’t be in it.”

Jason Mackey: jmackey@post-gazette.com and Twitter @JMackeyPG.

Pensburgh is back again today with the old Sheahan for Pouliot rumor.....in fact, here's a further update:

UPDATE: Our SBN sister website Winging it in Motown confirms with sources in the Detroit organization that there is a “deal in place” to send Sheahan to Pittsburgh...

Supposedly, the deal hinges on the Wings resigning Athanasiou; if that doesn't happen, the Wings theoretically wouldn't want to lose two roster players (not that you asked, but I myself think Athanasiou is far more important to the Wings than Sheahan, and will sign a new deal at some point soon). But it doesn't seem to be happening very fast; and there's nothing keeping GMJR from moving on from Sheahan.

Also, Elliotte Friedman is evidently claiming this thing with Geno's good Russian buddy Danis Zaripov is part of the discussion. Supposedly, Zaripov has been telling NHL teams that if he doesn't work out for them.....which was all know is a possibility.....he won't hold them hostage. That's good, but bringing DZ into Pittsburgh could cost them a roster player like Kuhnhackl, and the Pens are justifiably a little nervous (especially after the Sergei Plotnikov abortion) about bringing in someone with no NHL track record who doesn't speak English.

Just read an interestjng non-Pens related tidbit on Eklund's site: Cryers will experiment with Claude Giroux on left wing with Sean Couturier and Jake Voracek tomorrow night vs the NYC. Unknown to yours truly, he was drafted as a right winger; but he's obviously been exclusively a center since making the team.

I'm not aware that the Cryers are flush with center prospects, so this looks to me like some attempt to potentially shield him from all the attention his declining offense has brought, and perhaps give him some more open goal scoring looks. And maybe they figure putting him on a wing with Voracek opens things up for Couturier; a (IMO) horribly overrated player who has cost them who knows how many good prospects in trade because the Cryers downright refused to move him.

Pretty sure the Pens are dressing a majority of their pro roster tonight vs STL.....including Sid, Letang, Kessel, and Murray (but not sure about Geno). I'm about 99.999% sure Horndog remains out as well.

ADDENDUM: Geno IS scheduled to dress tonight after all

Last edited:
Anybody watch the game last night ?? Obviously, Sid and Jake came out of the starting gates flying.....

I know JG has already has a reputation as a good finisher coming off the playoffs, but even I was suprised how dangerous he looked in the scoring zone. I'm not going to predict how many goals he might score this season, but the kid I watched last night appears to have the chops to possibly lead this team in goals. Kessel may have the best trigger on the team, but Jake's doesn't look too far off.

I also thought Letang looked pretty active considering his time away.......the only other thiing that really stuck out to me was Geno being in that "I'd just as soon be doing anything rather than playing hockey" mode we see from him a little more often than we'd all like. Speaking of Kessel, I'm not sure he even broke a sweat (as we might have expected).. I also thought Sid backed it down a fair amount after that good first 5 minutes.

Finally, I didn't see much of those decent wheels Reaves supposedly broiught with him to Pittsburgh along with his fists. He sure didn't do much against a team he should have been at least psuedo-motivated to play.

Very sad news with this morning's report that veteran NHL play by play guy Dave Strader has lost his battle with cancer at a far too young 62 years of age. IMO, there wasn't anyone on either side of the border who was better at his craft......RIP, Strades.

Meanwhile, the Pens did nothing yesterday to generate much enthusiasm coming into the banner ceremony WED night. Almost a complete and total no-show against a team they're going to have enough trouble beating when things are going well.

Obviously, yesterday (and the last week) will be a distant memory if they come out well this week versus STL and Chicago; but I didn't think this was a very good sign.

If you missed it over the weekend, the Pens released Jay McClement......meaning their #3 center job has been won (for now, at least) by journeyman kid Greg McKegg. I'm being careful about how much I take all the great comments I've heard on the kid to heart, because there's obviously a reason why he's on his 4th team in 4 years. But he's obviously the best alternative with regard to how the team is currently built, so I guess it's time to get behind him.

I guess t knows him far better than most Penguins fans, given the time he spent in the Leaves organization. Something tells me he was a prospect with at least some promise as a drafte,e but really has just never panned out. But teams keep giving him a shot.....I presume he's got good wheels (presumably that's his strength).....so let's hope the Pens have discovered some kind of key to unlock the kid's potential.

One more psuedo Pens-related piece of news; former D-man Dave Warsofsky was released by Colorado.....I myself would be surprised if he was claimed. Which, I assume, means he'll begin the season in the minors with the Avalanche.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT