ADVERTISEMENT

Pens -- NOV 2018

We collective DESERVE this start...yes we do!

And the Bolts dominated the middle 10 minutes of the 1st......but, as Jay Caulfield correctly noted between periods, Rust's shorty was HUGE.

Meanwhile, Kessel continues to shoot it like an $8 million guy.

Reactions: torontoeers
Maybe not in keeping with the absolute best we've seen from this team the past couple years, but I'll take a solid win over one of the couple best teams in the League this year. I admit I wonder how different the score would have been had Vasilevskiy played.....

So, can the Pens carry a little momentum into tonight's game against the Cryers ??

At the very least, maybe HCMS will find a reason to play Reaves 10-12 minutes rather than the less than 4 he played against the Bolts (which, admittedly, is not the kind of opponent they acquired him to play against). But Philly tonight.....now there's a little different cup o' tea.

If nothing else, they should be fired up for a good effort with 3 full days off before the home-and-home with the Sabres beginning Friday night at Buffalo. Meanwhile,. I'm still waiting to read about what Ian Cole did to get jammed so deep into HCMS' shit house.

Maybe he dresses tonight against someone for whom they need a more physical presence on the back end (and everywhere else on the ice).

Ya know...besides the fact we lost that period on effort, namely TURNOVERS....they are absolutely steamrolling us both in the D zone and with the odd Philly cheap shot. Somebody better come out and crack some skulls at start of third here...If they lose I prefer it be fighting and scraping on the way out...also NEWSFLASH. It's Elliott in the hemp hut for them tonight Pens! Ya HEAR ME? ITS ELLIOTT!!!! I don't wanna hear about how he's got your number. Find the twine!

Reactions: COOL MAN
So, can the Pens carry a little momentum into tonight's game against the Cryers ??

At the very least, maybe HCMS will find a reason to play Reaves 10-12 minutes rather than the less than 4 he played against the Bolts (which, admittedly, is not the kind of opponent they acquired him to play against). But Philly tonight.....now there's a little different cup o' tea.

If nothing else, they should be fired up for a good effort with 3 full days off before the home-and-home with the Sabres beginning Friday night at Buffalo. Meanwhile,. I'm still waiting to read about what Ian Cole did to get jammed so deep into HCMS' shit house.

Maybe he dresses tonight against someone for whom they need a more physical presence on the back end (and everywhere else on the ice).
Well herein lies a rather prophetic post! Gsus...just dominated in that 2nd...

As the Pens actually succeed in doing worse in the 2nd than Friday's 1st period in Boston, this 3rd period turnaround is equally unexpected (to me, at least). I swear I've never EVER heard of a team score 3 goals and hit 4 posts in one period.

Guess we just saw why Thrill doesn't play defense.....and it's not like he got beat by Vlady Tarasenko.

One more...I see Bobby Lou got his 200th with the Panthers tonight. Only goaltender to get 200 each with 2 diff't franchises other than P Roy...and as affable as Luongo can be on twitter etc (often self depricating) it makes me like him a HELLUVA lot more than that jackoff Roy...well done Bobby!

Reactions: COOL MAN
Couple tidbits from NHL Network's post game:

--SOG Pens 52 Cryers 32
--Jake 2/1/3, Sid 1/2/3 (now 12 points in his last 7 games)

Here's the latest from today's Pitt Post Gazette about Ian Cole.

If the reasons for his benching are indeed because of an impending trade......and Item 2 (and to a lesser extent, Item 3) are true and legitimate, than I myself am fine with it. I mean, if he's going to end up with something approaching $4 million next season, the Pens sinply don't have that kind of cap space; so maximize the asset and move on.

But if Item 4 is any factor, than I'm pissed off. As far as I'm concerned, there's not a single player on this roster who has given more physically to help this team win the past 2 years, and personalities should be out of the discussion. Plus, from eveything I can glean, Item 5 is definitely correct (which I assume was also true for Bonino, Cullen, Daley, Hainsey, and Kunitz)

Ian Cole’s days as a Penguin are numbered. With the club off until Friday, he’s likely played his last game here.

So, what happens now? And how did we get here in the first place?

Here are five things that should shed some light on that:

1. First, let’s focus on potential trading partners.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...rustration-Mike-Sullivan/stories/201711270133
It won’t be a Metropolitan Division team. The primary suitors at this point appear to be Las Vegas, Colorado and Toronto.

It’s unclear the player the Penguins may be targeting in those talks, and whether or not he plays center.

But the Penguins and Cole’s agent, Kevin Magnusson, are working together on this deal, so you can expect a resolution in fairly short order.

2. Any talk of a long-term extension for Cole in Pittsburgh never got off the ground.

Cole will be an unrestricted free agent after this season. He’s making $2.1 million in the final year of his deal, but that number is expected to soar, the result of solid play and his experience winning back-to-back Stanley Cups.

The Penguins knew re-signing Cole would never happen and wanted to recoup some value for him.

3. Chad Ruhwedel has played so well this season that it enabled this move to happen.

Ruhwedel has been on the ice for just 10 five-on-five goals-against in 21 games, best among Penguins regulars. Cole was on for only 11.

Scoring chances and high-danger scoring chances were similarly favorable for Ruhwedel.

The Penguins also seem to prefer a left-right alignment with their defense.

Signing Matt Hunwick to a three-year deal, as the Penguins did, complicated things on the back end, adding a fourth left shot onto the depth chart among guys who primarily play the left side.

4. The relationship between Cole and Penguins coach Mike Sullivan had become strained.

Look strictly at numbers, and you might have some questions over why this move is necessary.

But if the player and coach simply don’t get along … what are you going to do?

One source characterized this as the classic clash of personalities and said it had simply gotten to the point where a trade would be best for everyone involved.

Cole was among the most well-liked people in the Penguins dressing room, by external and internal media and team staffers. His chattiness, however, runs counter to the way Sullivan likes to conduct business — smart and well-articulated, but also saying very little.

5. Cole really loved Pittsburgh.

This may sound goofy given the last point, but in talking to those with knowledge of the situation, hating it here was never was prompted this.

Cole has spoken often about how much he’s loved the city, how it was 180 degrees different for him than what he experienced in St. Louis.

What we’re seeing here is more Cole being an attractive asset, the Penguins figuring they’d lose him anyway and a need for depth scoring that has only gotten more pronounced.

Jason Mackey: jmackey@post-gazette.com and Twitter @JMackeyPG

If the reasons for his benching are indeed because of an impending trade......and Item 2 (and to a lesser extent, Item 3) are true and legitimate, than I myself am fine with it. I mean, if he's going to end up with something approaching $4 million next season, the Pens sinply don't have that kind of cap space; so maximize the asset and move on.

But if Item 4 is any factor, than I'm pissed off. As far as I'm concerned, there's not a single player on this roster who has given more physically to help this team win the past 2 years, and personalities should be out of the discussion. Plus, from eveything I can glean, Item 5 is definitely correct (which I assume was also true for Bonino, Cullen, Daley, Hainsey, and Kunitz)

Ian Cole’s days as a Penguin are numbered. With the club off until Friday, he’s likely played his last game here.

It won’t be a Metropolitan Division team. The primary suitors at this point appear to be Las Vegas, Colorado and Toronto.

It’s unclear the player the Penguins may be targeting in those talks, and whether or not he plays center.

But the Penguins and Cole’s agent, Kevin Magnusson, are working together on this deal, so you can expect a resolution in fairly short order.

2. Any talk of a long-term extension for Cole in Pittsburgh never got off the ground.

Cole will be an unrestricted free agent after this season. He’s making $2.1 million in the final year of his deal, but that number is expected to soar, the result of solid play and his experience winning back-to-back Stanley Cups.

The Penguins knew re-signing Cole would never happen and wanted to recoup some value for him.

3. Chad Ruhwedel has played so well this season that it enabled this move to happen.

Ruhwedel has been on the ice for just 10 five-on-five goals-against in 21 games, best among Penguins regulars. Cole was on for only 11.

Scoring chances and high-danger scoring chances were similarly favorable for Ruhwedel.

Signing Matt Hunwick to a three-year deal, as the Penguins did, complicated things on the back end, adding a fourth left shot onto the depth chart among guys who primarily play the left side.

4. The relationship between Cole and Penguins coach Mike Sullivan had become strained.

Look strictly at numbers, and you might have some questions over why this move is necessary.

One source characterized this as the classic clash of personalities and said it had simply gotten to the point where a trade would be best for everyone involved.

Cole was among the most well-liked people in the Penguins dressing room, by external and internal media and team staffers. His chattiness, however, runs counter to the way Sullivan likes to conduct business — smart and well-articulated, but also saying very little.

This may sound goofy given the last point, but in talking to those with knowledge of the situation, hating it here was never was prompted this.

Cole has spoken often about how much he’s loved the city, how it was 180 degrees different for him than what he experienced in St. Louis.

What we’re seeing here is more Cole being an attractive asset, the Penguins figuring they’d lose him anyway and a need for depth scoring that has only gotten more pronounced.

cole probably wondered out loud why 58 can make mistake after mistake with no consequences to his ice time.

I'm pretty much lock step with your breakdown...and for the record if The Pens think Matt Hunwick is the answer to take over Cole's minutes I'm a little concerned...thankfully Ruhwedel seems to be picking up some of that slack. I admit Cole was at times a whipping boy of mine up till around March of the 2016 Cup run. He has grown his game by leaps and bounds since imo....however not to the point of the rather large contract he will likely receive soon...somewhere. Personally I hope the Leaves overpay him. That would satisfy me greatly...what comes in return from them? Hmmm....not sure I want the type of C they are going to give. Snot nose punk Kadri? He'd likely provide just what's needed in that 3 C role...I just can't stand the prick. Watching him in interviews makes me wanna barf...oh, and if it ends up as that bozo Bozak I may just have an embolism....guy is as soft as they come.

Last edited:
I'll freely admit he looked downright awful early and even up till a week ago. He has looked much better over the last 2 IMO....

I don't think he's looked much better. he has just gotten a couple things right. he's still been out of position and made stupid mental mistakes during the last 2 games. just got the right result.

jarry has been good.

I wonder what the return will be for cole?
I'll take any 3rd line C that can win a faceoff right now, skate and preferably with at least a bit of edge...I also dont mind if they wait on it a bit, get him into the lineup occasionally at least for some depth on D. I'd think it'll be a sign and trade of some variety anyway....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT