ADVERTISEMENT

Pens - - NOV 2016

There's your basic accident......unfortunately, the accidents count too.

Have not heard/read the rationale; not sure there's any real reason other than to shake things up a bit. Oh, and we're unfortunately stuck with the Laffs.....err, HNIC's......feed on NHL TV
Well I guess you saw the NEXT love in from CBC's resident ass clown then...I have no issue with praising McD...he's GOOD...BUT...Grapes 'analysis' continues to be weak to put it kindly ....a few comments from Leafers for you even CM ...'when are they gonna take this dinosaur off air?' ...'does he even research the games beforehand?'....yep...his act is even OLD around here...much praise however for McLean however over Strombo around here...I didnt mind George, but do like Ron and his antithesis to the knuckledragger.

If I was Anderson I would be pi$$ed at my D-Men standing around in front of the net with their fingers up their a$$es on that last Pens goal.

Reactions: torontoeers
I really can't stand Hughson a lot of the time but , he knows his shit when he's rhyming off former Pens Mullen and Recchi #'s at drop of a hat....
We REALLY needed that one from #14!

If I was Anderson I would be pi$$ed at my D-Men standing around in front of the net with their fingers up their a$$es on that last Pens goal.
The funny thing for me Euell is my Leaf buddies and I obviously unite on international play and my one pal last Olympics was brow beating and despised Kunitz for his addition to Team Canada . ..Oh the irony!!!!! I reminded him of his distaste tonight!!! [roll]

SID!!! The butt hurt around here is in full effect!....'apparently' that last goal was 'cheap' ! Bwahahahahaha!

One word response: SCOREBOARD

You can also tell the yahoos the best players always get the lucky ones, because they put themselves in position for the tap-ins while the rank-and-filers are skating around.

Hey, at least the Laffs won tonight in that pregame HNIC Simulator video game. BTW t, do you know whose idea this was......and more importantly, WHY is HNIC doing this silly thing ??

BTW . ..they capitulated :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:...'congrats all around to Murray on a great game, and we need some defense'...I give them some credit for finally admitting their faults....I suppose when you're the big boy on the block...well...............we enjoy it while we have it!

Reactions: COOL MAN
12 hours after the final horn, I find myself thinking most Pens fans are happy with two points and probably not much else aside the solid effort by MM.

Leafs fans, I presume, didn't really care about the loss so long as they had SOMETHING from the triplets (which I don't know to what extent that happened) they could stick in their pockets. FYI, I didn't watch the game THAT closely, but I don't recall Matthews doing much of anything (and I thought Marner was the best of the 3). But even with 4 GA, I think they can feel pretty decent about Freddy A's work.

My own perspective is the Laffs definitely ARE improving, and they can definitely skate. But I admit THE most distasteful aspect of the Laffs to me......aside the League media's obsession with EVERYTHING Leafs before they've accomplish a thing.....remains the seemingly always cranky Pope Mike.

12 hours after the final horn, I find myself thinking most Pens fans are happy with two points and probably not much else aside the solid effort by MM.

Leafs fans, I presume, didn't really care about the loss so long as they had SOMETHING from the triplets (which I don't know to what extent that happened) they could stick in their pockets. FYI, I didn't watch the game THAT closely, but I don't recall Matthews doing much of anything (and I thought Marner was the best of the 3). But even with 4 GA, I think they can feel pretty decent about Freddy A's work.

My own perspective is the Laffs definitely ARE improving, and they can definitely skate. But I admit THE most distasteful aspect of the Laffs to me......aside the League media's obsession with EVERYTHING Leafs before they've accomplish a thing.....remains the seemingly always cranky Pope Mike.
H'EER H'EER ! In regards to the Babcock analysis . ..
I thought MM had a solid effort however I would LOVE to see a few less rebounds , next time around...and a slightly better D effort from our guys....they took it like men around here CM , although I was slightly more cordial than I usually am with them, and frankly ought to be!

For the past day or two, THN has been reporting the Pens are one of two teams (Coyotes the other) to be kicking the tires on Dougie Hamilton. Aside a bigger body than anyone else they have on the blue line, I'm trying to figure out exactly what this kid brings to the Pens......or frankly, anyone.

I realize it's possible his fit in Calgary just might not be very good; but this is obviously his second team (out of 2) in less than 2 years trying to cut their losses on him. I don't watch the Flames much, so I really have no clue what his story is. But it's clear that Hamilton is a pretty fair distance from that star-in-waiting status of just a few years ago; meaning the Flames likely couldn't get even close to what they think they deserve in a trade.

But even if the Pens do have some rational reason to consider Hamilton, exactly what would they be willing to offer in return. I assume Derrick Pouliot would be part of any package, but he makes a mere fraction of Hamilton's salary.....which we all know is as big or bigger aspect of most any deal these days.

Which means, if there are legs behind this rumor, it's almost inevitable that Flower would be part of the equation. I know the Flames have been less than enamored thus far with Brian Elliott; though I think it's still a little early to call that deal with STL a bust.

But you make Flower and Hamilton the centerpieces of the deal from a salary standpoint.....and throw some some picks (or perhaps a Brian Rust or Conor Sheary) in the blender.....and maybe something happens. Or, maybe the Pens agree to take Elliott back in return (which could actually be a decent short-term move).

Everything I'm hearing thus far.......which is all conjecture, and based in zero fact......is that GMJR (as I theorized previously) may have trouble putting together a deal with Vegas good enough to keep them from taking MM in the reentry Draft. If so, he's simply got to do something......because there's no chance he leaves Murray unprotected.

If push comes to shove, I'm assuming the Pens will ultimately buy out Fleury (which I assume they can do) rather than be forced to live with his contract over MM.

For the past day or two, THN has been reporting the Pens are one of two teams (Coyotes the other) to be kicking the tires on Dougie Hamilton. Aside a bigger body than anyone else they have on the blue line, I'm trying to figure out exactly what this kid brings to the Pens......or frankly, anyone.

I realize it's possible his fit in Calgary just might not be very good; but this is obviously his second team (out of 2) in less than 2 years trying to cut their losses on him. I don't watch the Flames much, so I really have no clue what his story is. But it's clear that Hamilton is a pretty fair distance from that star-in-waiting status of just a few years ago; meaning the Flames likely couldn't get even close to what they think they deserve in a trade.

But even if the Pens do have some rational reason to consider Hamilton, exactly what would they be willing to offer in return. I assume Derrick Pouliot would be part of any package, but he makes a mere fraction of Hamilton's salary.....which we all know is as big or bigger aspect of most any deal these days.

Which means, if there are legs behind this rumor, it's almost inevitable that Flower would be part of the equation. I know the Flames have been less than enamored thus far with Brian Elliott; though I think it's still a little early to call that deal with STL a bust.

But you make Flower and Hamilton the centerpieces of the deal from a salary standpoint.....and throw some some picks (or perhaps a Brian Rust or Conor Sheary) in the blender.....and maybe something happens. Or, maybe the Pens agree to take Elliott back in return (which could actually be a decent short-term move).

Everything I'm hearing thus far.......which is all conjecture, and based in zero fact......is that GMJR (as I theorized previously) may have trouble putting together a deal with Vegas good enough to keep them from taking MM in the reentry Draft. If so, he's simply got to do something......because there's no chance he leaves Murray unprotected.

If push comes to shove, I'm assuming the Pens will ultimately buy out Fleury (which I assume they can do) rather than be forced to live with his contract over MM.
When I read your first 2 paragraphs CM I thought 'oh no!'...however...I read on, and what you mention may be parts of a deal have me, well...thinking! I'm unaware of the salary structure and term on both Hamilton and Elliott , however if picks are sent our way in a deal like this, i'd be pretty open minded to it!
I like the idea of Elliott as a backup pushing MM for playing time quite a bit. He has experience , and tends to go on a hot streak now and again. Mind you I wouldn't want him as my number 1 , but he would be quite adequate to throw in there for a few weeks to a month if MM had an injury (hopefully not) in the future, certainly better than anything the Pens have had before MM arrived on the scene....obviously excepting the current scenario, Flower is one hell of a 'backup ' lol...Elliott is also used to battling for playing time almost throughout his career at times...interesting !

Pouliot for Hamilton almost seems a wash to me at this point, an exchange of players that just haven't for whatever reasoning found their spot in the league ...it's that DH contract that has me wondering ....

When I read your first 2 paragraphs CM I thought 'oh no!'...however...I read on, and what you mention may be parts of a deal have me, well...thinking! I'm unaware of the salary structure and term on both Hamilton and Elliott , however if picks are sent our way in a deal like this, i'd be pretty open minded to it!
I like the idea of Elliott as a backup pushing MM for playing time quite a bit. He has experience , and tends to go on a hot streak now and again. Mind you I wouldn't want him as my number 1 , but he would be quite adequate to throw in there for a few weeks to a month if MM had an injury (hopefully not) in the future, certainly better than anything the Pens have had before MM arrived on the scene....obviously excepting the current scenario, Flower is one hell of a 'backup ' lol...Elliott is also used to battling for playing time almost throughout his career at times...interesting !

Pouliot for Hamilton almost seems a wash to me at this point, an exchange of players that just haven't for whatever reasoning found their spot in the league ...it's that DH contract that has me wondering ....

I thought Hamilton and Fleury's AAV's were in the ballpark of one another......according to NHL Numbers:

Fleury -- $5.75 million, UFA in 2019/20
Hamilton -- $5.75 million, UFA in 2021/22

Can't get much closer than that; but if Hamilton doesn't develop into a minimum solid 2nd pairing guy, that bad deal would be almost be a Semin-like due to the term. On the other hand, moving Hamilton.....and with Wideman coming off next year at $5.25 million AAV.....frees up a full $11 million in cap space for Calgary, with literally none of their current FA's in line for big deals. So, they can accept the Fleury contract (which saws off Hamilton's deal) and still have $5+ million worth of new cap space next season.

But for the Pens to accept Hamilton and Elliott's $8.25 million of AAV this year, they'd need to move Fleury's $5.75 million......Pouliot's $863K (though he's currently LTIR).....and either Cole's $2.1 million (through next season) or Fehr's $2.0 million (also through next season). I think some draft choices might also have to be exchanged; maybe the Pens offer up a #2/3 and the Flames a #3/4 in return (which probably won't end up too different on Draft night).

I thought Hamilton and Fleury's AAV's were in the ballpark of one another......according to NHL Numbers:

Fleury -- $5.75 million, UFA in 2019/20
Hamilton -- $5.75 million, UFA in 2021/22

Can't get much closer than that; but if Hamilton doesn't develop into a minimum solid 2nd pairing guy, that bad deal would be almost be a Semin-like due to the term. On the other hand, moving Hamilton.....and with Wideman coming off next year at $5.25 million AAV.....frees up a full $11 million in cap space for Calgary, with literally none of their current FA's in line for big deals. So, they can accept the Fleury contract (which saws off Hamilton's deal) and still have $5+ million worth of new cap space next season.

But for the Pens to accept Hamilton and Elliott's $8.25 million of AAV this year, they'd need to move Fleury's $5.75 million......Pouliot's $863K (though he's currently LTIR).....and either Cole's $2.1 million (through next season) or Fehr's $2.0 million (also through next season). I think some draft choices might also have to be exchanged; maybe the Pens offer up a #2/3 and the Flames a #3/4 in return (which probably won't end up too different on Draft night).
Hmmm....I'm not liking how these numbers are lining up ( and thank you for them!)....but as you say it seems GMJR may be between a rock and hard place on this one...are we best just to let him walk (McPhee claiming him) in the end? I'm starting to wonder...............especially if the Pens are on the short end in the draft exchange. This is why Jimmy gets the big bucks I suppose. He has made chicken salad from chicken $hit before so ..........

Actually let me edit this...Jerkie Burkie is a doofus so, surely GMJR can fleece him and his team in some manner....

I think that name JERKIE BURKIE is positively hysterical, and I react the exact same way every time you use it :smiley:

Cmon Geno! one of the times I actually agree with the asshat Pierre...and you too 58! I don't care if he hung you out to dry! MM made the first play and your job to clear it rather than fumble around looking for it!!!

And MM needs to see it on the 2nd but STILL needs to save it...the 2nd one to down 2 on the road is a back breaker...Cmon guys! These guys AREN'T faster than you but they sure as $hit do tonight!
I like Daley going at that loudmouth Oshie! Whoa!!!!! WTF Alzner? ....it was Geno's shoulder but Alzner getting in there with the stick prior....this is getting chippy....

Why not edit again....Oshie on the COLD replacement MAF FU%K!!!!

Last edited:
In Nashville last night, didn't see any of the game......quite fortunate, as it turns out. I know last night just wasn't their night; but it also sounds like they quit the 3rd period, perhaps worse than the 7-1 loss. Hope they have plenty of Listerine to gargle out the stink of THAT one.

I also suspect that smart assed tweet about the banners.....which admittedly WAS pretty funny.....didn't help them very much. Not sure why anyone thought it a good idea to give the Craps more ammunition coming into last night.

Reactions: Euell
BTW...who has the grey turf??? Toledo or I guess maybe E Michigan? I suppose it's better than that RED assault on the eyes out at E Washington anyway...
It was Eastern Michigan. It looked gray (or grey as you folks north of the border say-LOL!) on t.v. BTW, I have walked the blue ("smurf turf") at BSU. Very different.
Let's hope the Pens bounce back on the next one.

https://www.nhl.com/penguins/fans/golden-ticket-faq

What is the Penguins® Golden Ticket promotion?

In honor of the organization's 50th anniversary, the Penguins have teamed up with participating partners to provide fans with multiple ways to win great prizes all year long. And for the first time in team history, one lucky Penguins fan will win two FedEx Level season tickets for twenty years!

Starting in October, fifty Penguins® Golden Ticket winners will be selected throughout the season. These winners will be selected as part of participating Penguins® Golden Ticket partner promotions and the Penguins organization. Please click HERE for more details about participating Penguins® Golden Ticket partners - there are multiple ways to win!

All fifty Penguins® Golden Ticket winners will be invited to attend the Penguins game on April 2, 2017. On that date, one Penguins® Golden Ticket Grand Prize winner will be randomly chosen from the eligible fifty Penguins® Golden Ticket winners in attendance. The Penguins® Golden Ticket Grand Prize winner will receive two FedEx Level Penguins season tickets for twenty years.

Game 6 redux, Sid to Tanger......Pens did not want to leave Brooklyn with less than 2 points. Of course, it's Geno again killing his team with a penalty which put the Islanders back in the game (even though it was a kind-of ticky-tack call).

Game 6 redux, Sid to Tanger......Pens did not want to leave Brooklyn with less than 2 points. Of course, it's Geno again killing his team with a penalty which put the Islanders back in the game (even though it was a kind-of ticky-tack call).
Just arrived at my cabin outside Motown...how'd they really look overall fellas? Shake out the cobwebs from that Craps incident at least?

Just arrived at my cabin outside Motown...how'd they really look overall fellas? Shake out the cobwebs from that Craps incident at least?

Thankfully, I missed the Washington game so I can't comment on any comparisons. Pens outshot the NYI 16-5 in the 1P and were much the better team......until Geno takes the idiot penalty at 20:00 putting the NYI on the PP coming out of the locker room. Of course, they then score 2 goals in less than a minute and end up owning most of the 2P.

Happily, Daley steps up late in the period to tie it up on a ripper right up the slot; and things got a little back to normal in the 3P (SOG 14-5 Pens) while Halak continued his typical stand-on-his-head performance versus Pittsburgh. But the OT game winner WAS a men against boys play by Sid; nice little fake against the defender, then his best cross-ice pass of the season to Letang (whose turnover at his own blue line led to the Isles 2nd goal) who zipped a perfect one timer at an angle into an open cage.

All things considered, not an awful performance coming off the turd; but the Isles were a damaged team coming in, and I'm not bananas about the fact they got a point. Still waiting for the Pens to play 60 minutes; not necessarily expecting them to do it tonight in Buffalo with Flower (presumably) in the cage.

One more thing; Dumoulin spent some time in the concussion room after getting nailed with his head down by Anders Lee's tucked (but, I thought, fairly purposely targeted) forearm. He did return to the game; but his condition WILL be something to watch in this crowded schedule over the next 7 days.

Pens have put Kunitz on IR, and called up Jake Guentzel from WB/S......after all the positive comments we've read about him thus far, I think most of us are anxious to see what this kid can do

Pens have put Kunitz on IR, and called up Jake Guentzel from WB/S......after all the positive comments we've read about him thus far, I think most of us are anxious to see what this kid can do
Just in from the Burgh and sat down turned on the game at intermission and bazinga ! 2 from JG? Well ...alright!

A bit under the weather so not sure i'll be up for the rest but hopefully they can pile on a few more!

And am I ever glad I stayed awake to watch that 2nd....ugh!
If PK is gonna pinch up that tight from the point he better be damned sure he gets a handle on the puck...otherwise as we see ,they are gonna completely gas him the other way, with their 3rd marker...

Reactions: COOL MAN
As has become my convention seemingly all season (especially for weeknight games), I forgot the game was on until almost 8pm; at which time I'd already missed the entire 1P.....and unfortunately, what represented essentially ALL of their good play last night.

I felt like they got a break on Guentzel's softie in the first; but that was clearly ALL the Lord was prepared to give them in a game where they needed one as things progressed. I recall thinking that post Sid hit might end up being a bad omen; and it certainly proved to be.

Was surprised to what extent the game looked like what was happening between these two teams back in 2013/14 and 2014/15. NYR
carried the play from a pure skating standpoint to an extent we haven't seen since before Mike Johnston left town.

I know NO team is on top of their game 82 times; but this one actually mattered a little bit in the standings (even this early in the season) and I thought they got caught fairly flat footed against someone who both CAN skate with them AND appeared to want this one a little more.

I do think they missed Hornqvist and Kunitz quite a bit; but hey, good teams gotta find a way to fight thru these kinds of games (and stretches). Meanwhile, the NYR found a way to offset their brand new Zibanejad injury with no apparent issues. I admit I found it interesting they sat King Henrik last night.....as it turned out, Vigneault obviously knew what he was doing. I assume he'll be back in the cage tomorrow night.

All of a sudden, the rematch has become their biggest game thus far this season. While the standings matter, I believe it more important for them to regain their emotional AND competitive footing against a team they'll have to get through if they have ANY visions on a repeat.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT