ADVERTISEMENT

Pens...March

Sid and Letang are scratched today versus the Cryers......with Murray in goal. Pens called up someone named Kael Mouillierat from WB/S to replace Sid; strictly speaking, Sid must be declared injured in order to clear a roster spot for the call-up, while Pouliot will replace Letang.

Sid and Letang are scratched today versus the Cryers......with Murray in goal. Pens called up someone named Kael Mouillierat from WB/S to replace Sid; strictly speaking, Sid must be declared injured in order to clear a roster spot for the call-up, while Pouliot will replace Letang.
If not for a nice save by Mason, Mouillerat would have netted one in the 1st.

IMO, Kovalev.....while certainly never a guy who'd be confused with Gretzky for work ethic.....was not (during his Penguins days in the 1990's, not 2 years ago) the kind of slug be eventually became.

In fact, I still consider him the most dangerous......and that includes Lemieux, Yagr, Kevin Stevens, Crosby, and Malkin.....pure shooter ever in Pittsburgh. Maybe we're seeing some similar indications from Kessel recently, but nobody for the Penguins could ever turn an opposing goaltender into absolute stone like Kovalev when he was atop his game after arriving from the NYR.

Meanwhile, didn't you tell me your new Malkin autograph jersey was Black with Lemieux Gold, or am I mistaken about that ?? Or, are you referring to another jersey from beyond that from the gift bag you recently purchased ?? Not that my opinion means anything, but it honestly wouldn't surprise me if the current 3rd black becomes the new base home jersey.

However, I still wouldn't mind the team taking the base 2014-15 Winter Classic white jersey.....and changing the Vegas Gold to Lemieux Gold.....for the new road combination..
Lol...I woke up this AM and said what did I scribe after those beer'S last night? And said I need to change that after a brief look! Hahaha...

In all seriousness yes I agree with you in terms of the pure marksmanship of Alexei (when he was in The Burgh and NY), Montreal was another matter and I fully admit this was the last and most recent impression I had of him...I am unsure as to just why he developed the laissez faire attitude there but it was glaringly apparent that this guys drive went the way of the Dodo...So indeed I apologize to 'Monaco'...she has a legit reason to be enamored with Kovalev over those few years...

As per my jersey yes I have the Mario Gold in Black as main colour and I also have an older 'home' white at yhe time #66 which hasn't seen the light of day for many a year....
The disappointment with the change for me revolves around the fact that A- I honestly like the Vegas gold colour and B -the wife's custom made dress (which cost me a pretty penny) is in black and that Vegas gold ....but upon thinking? I should have damnwell known better lol...your average jersey combo lasts about 5-6 years nowadays and where are we at now? And the propensity for seeing the Old Gold style this last year? Yep...I shoulda seen it lol...which drives me bananas...

Long and short I don't care deeply about the fashion so much, ....exception? The asshat streamlned penguin brought out after the last 90's cup....I hated it with vitriol and was simply ecstatic to see it disappear....

Oh and also I agree with you re the Winter Classic jersey... that was a real sharp lookin uniform...a variation of it would be cool....

Man, were the Cryers pleased.....with the benefit of an empty netter....to squeeze by a Penguins team with ZERO interest in this game and a 3rd stringer in the net for the last half of the game (and 5 of their top 6 injured or sitting out). Incredible how much this rivalry has turned around in a year.

Meanwhile, I'm almost positive it'll take the Craps a minimum of 6 games to beat them.....and as I said previously, I assume the Flyers will play them VERY rough. But in no way, shape, or form would it shock me in the least to see Washington take the gas. The Craps, IMO, should be VERY nervous.

Meanwhile, is there ANYTHING more nauseating than the pathetic Red Wings backing into keeping that playoff streak alive.....and worse, getting rewarded with a match-up against the currently lost Lightning ?? At least the TBL are fortunate enough to be going up against possibly THE worst opposing goaltending in the history of the NHL playoffs.....

Finally, with the way the Metro schedule had all the best teams playing one another down the stretch, how in the hell did the NYG get a home game tonight against friggin' Buffalo ?? Worse, they don't even have to worry about the Flyers tomorrow to close out the season.

OK, I'm done whining......even though I'm pissed that Jordan Spieth played about 10 guys back into the Masters with his sterling double/bogey finish. Look out tomorrow for Jason Day, who I guarantee you can't believe he's only 3 back after shooting only one of three rounds under par.

Man, were the Cryers pleased.....with the benefit of an empty netter....to squeeze by a Penguins team with ZERO interest in this game and a 3rd stringer in the net for the last half of the game (and 5 of their top 6 injured or sitting out). Incredible how much this rivalry has turned around in a year.

Meanwhile, I'm almost positive it'll take the Craps a minimum of 6 games to beat them.....and as I said previously, I assume the Flyers will play them VERY rough. But in no way, shape, or form would it shock me in the least to see Washington take the gas. The Craps, IMO, should be VERY nervous.

Meanwhile, is there ANYTHING more nauseating than the pathetic Red Wings backing into keeping that playoff streak alive.....and worse, getting rewarded with a match-up against the currently lost Lightning ?? At least the TBL are fortunate enough to be going up against possibly THE worst opposing goaltending in the history of the NHL playoffs.....

Finally, with the way the Metro schedule had all the best teams playing one another down the stretch, how in the hell did the NYG get a home game tonight against friggin' Buffalo ?? Worse, they don't even have to worry about the Flyers tomorrow to close out the season.

OK, I'm done whining......even though I'm pissed that Jordan Spieth played about 10 guys back into the Masters with his sterling double/bogey finish. Look out tomorrow for Jason Day, who I guarantee you can't believe he's only 3 back after shooting only one of three rounds under par.
I 100% feel your pain re the Dead Wings....I honestly hope they beat Tampa so we have an opportunity to thump them upside the head in a later round...as we've done all year. ....and here I go saying 'WE' lol which I try to avoid! Playoff time boys! Let's F'N GO!!!!!

Btw here in Leafland? I told them all to sit back and savour their last AHL game of the year tonight...as they all wish them to lose....I'm goin playoff hunting!!!! YEE HAW YESIR!!! :cool2:

Indeed you are correct sir....you ready Euell?!? It goes UP from here!!!!!! Yee haw! Bring on the Rangers...or Isles...or whomever!!!!:boxing:
I am BEYOND ready for these playoffs! Anybody heard anything about the status of Murray's injury? I am still not quite sure why HCMS had him in net yesterday. Let's Go Pens!

I am BEYOND ready for these playoffs! Anybody heard anything about the status of Murray's injury? I am still not quite sure why HCMS had him in net yesterday. Let's Go Pens!

I seriously doubt we'll hear much of anything re: Murray until tomorrow. I too want to be PO'd at HCMS for putting him anywhere near yesterday's game, but I guess it's because he had/has every intention of MAF starting Game 1.

As for the play in question......while Schenn didn't exactly steamroll MM......he certainly didn't do a thing to even attempt to avoid the contact. And I still don't know why he wasn't penalized for interference (which obviously wouldn't have prevented the injury). I also know that if a Penguins player made the exact same play on Mason, some Cryer would have immediately gone after the offender.

Oh well, what's done is done...... and speaking of Penguins making others pay, I assume we've seen the last of Sestito in Pittsburgh after that meaningless (and incredibly poorly timed) major he took with the game in the balance. Even cement head White was smart enough to realize that was NO time to go after Penguins.

Btw here in Leafland? I told them all to sit back and savour their last AHL game of the year tonight...as they all wish them to lose....I'm goin playoff hunting!!!! YEE HAW YESIR!!! :cool2:

Regarding the Leafs, could ANYTHING be better than to see them lose the Stamkos derby......which, from what I can tell from a distance, they seemingly EXPECT to win...... while finishing 4th in the lottery (which admittedly isn't likely, but IS possible) and hence miss on Auston Matthews AND the two Finns ??

And, after all his recent public moaning about the cap, can you imagine how ballistic Babcock will go in the Press if THAT happens ??

Oh oh......Penguins have called up Tristan Jarry (who has not played well as the #1 goaltender since Matt Murray left town) from WB/S.

For now, nobody seems to know if this means neither Flower nor Murray will be ready for Game 1 (and Zatkoff will be starting), or if one of those two simply aren't expected to be available for practice in the days approaching Game 1 (and they DO need 2 goaltenders to conduct practice).

Quite obviously, I'm worried......actually, terrified is a more accurate word..... about the first alternative.

Oh oh......Penguins have called up Tristan Jarry (who has not played well as the #1 goaltender since Matt Murray left town) from WB/S.

For now, nobody seems to know if this means neither Flower nor Murray will be ready for Game 1 (and Zatkoff will be starting), or if one of those two simply aren't expected to be available for practice in the days approaching Game 1 (and they DO need 2 goaltenders to conduct practice).

Quite obviously, I'm worried......actually, terrified is a more accurate word..... about the first alternative.
Oh I'm with you there! In viewing the hit it was downright scary the fashion in which MM's head snapped back! I honestly wasn't worried with him going in as our #1 , everything is in flux now it seems...damn...
I tend to agree with Euell on this one...no need for Murray to be in the cage yesterday. He didn't need the work and until MAF PROVED to be in game ready it was a risky manoeuvre. Which in retrospect has now backfired bigtime....I am hopeful we start on Thurs not only because it means I'll have a chance to attend the Sat game (Fri I cant do, too tight on travel time), but now also so our netminders get one more day of rest....yikes this could really derail our playoff hopes fellas...arrgh!

Oh I'm with you there! In viewing the hit it was downright scary the fashion in which MM's head snapped back! I honestly wasn't worried with him going in as our #1 , everything is in flux now it seems...damn...
I tend to agree with Euell on this one...no need for Murray to be in the cage yesterday. He didn't need the work and until MAF PROVED to be in game ready it was a risky manoeuvre. Which in retrospect has now backfired bigtime....I am hopeful we start on Thurs not only because it means I'll have a chance to attend the Sat game (Fri I cant do, too tight on travel time), but now also so our netminders get one more day of rest....yikes this could really derail our playoff hopes fellas...arrgh!
Well Pens start Wednesday. However, I am glad the 2nd game isn't until Saturday. Hopefully, that will give you the opportunity to attend. Let's Go Pens!

Things currently do not sound good......though we really know nothing about Murray officially as yet.....for the Pens goaltending this morning.

Thoughts on Flower seem to have soured a fair amount since late last week; right now, nobody in the media seems very confident he's going to be ready to go anytime this week. And assuming the news on MM isn't positive......and I somehow don't get the feeling anyone close to the team feels that's going to be the case......we're going to be stuck with a Zatkoff/Jarry tandem for awhile

All this makes a Wednesday start (rather than Thursday) less than desirable, though we might find that's actually somewhat irrelevant. Euell does make a good point when he mentions 2 days off between Games 1 & 2......and there are also two days off between Games 2 & 3. It's not until Game 4 where the series goes to the typical every other day schedule. Hopefully, the Pens are still in the series by 4/21/16 when Game 4 rolls around.

Meanwhile, to add additional insult to these injuries, Sestito was sent back down to WB/S yesterday morning......exactly where he belong during the playoffs.......but was apparently recalled later in the day. If Sestito is therefore occupying a playoff roster spot, some other unidentified winger must have come out of the Philly game with problems. So this appears to have become the yang to all the yin we've been enjoying the past month......

Things currently do not sound good......though we really know nothing about Murray officially as yet.....for the Pens goaltending this morning.

Thoughts on Flower seem to have soured a fair amount since late last week; right now, nobody in the media seems very confident he's going to be ready to go anytime this week. And assuming the news on MM isn't positive......and I somehow don't get the feeling anyone close to the team feels that's going to be the case......we're going to be stuck with a Zatkoff/Jarry tandem for awhile

All this makes a Wednesday start (rather than Thursday) less than desirable, though we might find that's actually somewhat irrelevant. Euell does make a good point when he mentions 2 days off between Games 1 & 2......and there are also two days off between Games 2 & 3. It's not until Game 4 where the series goes to the typical every other day schedule. Hopefully, the Pens are still in the series by 4/21/16 when Game 4 rolls around.

Meanwhile, to add additional insult to these injuries, Sestito was sent back down to WB/S yesterday morning......exactly where he belong during the playoffs.......but was apparently recalled later in the day. If Sestito is therefore occupying a playoff roster spot, some other unidentified winger must have come out of the Philly game with problems. So this appears to have become the yang to all the yin we've been enjoying the past month......
If MAF is not ready to go that makes HCMS's decision to play Murray on Saturday all the more baffling to me. I hope it all works out.

Oh boy....I think 'we' can get away with 1 perhaps 2 games max having that less than desirable tandem between the pipes....Mr. Zatkoff? Step up to the mike...this is your golden opportunity....please don't waste it.......did I say oh boy? I meant oh F!#K!!!
Working on tix/hotels for Sat now...behind our goal for 2 of 3 periods, which hopefully I see the name Fleury or Murray up close and personal lol...

Well, Flower went through what was apparently a normal full practice today, and was said to have looked A-OK. OTOH, Murray was nowhere to be found......sounds like he's out of the picture for now. For a reason I can't quite explain......and while I obviously do hope Flower is ready to play on Wednesday......I have some kind of strange feeling Zatkoff just might show OK as a relief pitcher. Not sure I want him playing the entire series, but (like you, t) a game or two perhaps ??

I heard Puck Daddy pick the Pens in 5 games max today; said the NYR will never possess the puck against the Pens movement and speed (though Rossi pulled out the negative card today, saying the typical playoff defensive bias.....plus the obstruction the stripes will refuse to call.....will conspire to negate the Pens' speed). I still expect most experts to pick the NYR because of Lundqvist.....especially if Flower sits at all.....even though he's currently nowhere near the goaltender against whom they matched up the past two playoffs.

Meanwhile, I'll be in Detroit on Wednesday night; keeping my fingers and toes crossed my hotel room has a workable NBCSN.......

Last edited:
Well, Flower went through what was apparently a normal full practice today, and was said to have looked A-OK. OTOH, Murray was nowhere to be found......sounds like he's out of the picture for now. For a reason I can't quite explain......and while I obviously do hope Flower is ready to play on Wednesday......I have some kind of strange feeling Zatkoff just might show OK as a relief pitcher. Not sure I want him playing the entire series, but a game or two perhaps ??

I heard Puck Daddy pick the Pens in 5 games max today; said the NYR will never possess the puck against the Pens movement and speed (though Rossi pulled out the negative card today, saying the typical playoff defensive bias.....plus the obstruction the stripes will refuse to call.....will conspire to negate the Pens' speed). I still expect most experts to pick the NYR because of Lundqvist.....especially if Flower sits at all.....even though he's currently nowhere near the goaltender against whom they matched up the past two playoffs.

Meanwhile, I'll be in Detroit on Wednesday night; keeping my fingers and toes crossed my hotel room has a workable NBCSN.......
Well CM I can tell ya you certainly made my evening with that news re Flower!!!

Tix bought for Sat afternoon (below face on stubhub, compared to others in my section? Somebody asleep at the switch is my luck lol) 117 6 rows up from (ideally) MAF for 2 periods, and Station Square hotel booked for a couple nights (wife and I LOVE the Southside area ).
We're pretty jacked to get back to The Burgh and especially in a playoff hockey atmosphere!

I am hopeful that NBCSN feed is available for you on Wed! Otherwise I'm thinkin you may be on the prowl for a hockey bar somewhere lol...

Let's Go Pens!!!

Well CM I can tell ya you certainly made my evening with that news re Flower!!!

Tix bought for Sat afternoon (below face on stubhub, compared to others in my section? Somebody asleep at the switch is my luck lol) 117 6 rows up from (ideally) MAF for 2 periods, and Station Square hotel booked for a couple nights (wife and I LOVE the Southside area ).
We're pretty jacked to get back to The Burgh and especially in a playoff hockey atmosphere!

I am hopeful that NBCSN feed is available for you on Wed! Otherwise I'm thinkin you may be on the prowl for a hockey bar somewhere lol...

Let's Go Pens!!!

Holy shit, t.......you struck oil and gold for this weekend !!! Hope you and the wife have a great time; BTW, I'm pretty sure the weather is expected to be pretty good that day.

BTW, while Flower did have what's been described as a normal practice today, it's pretty clear nobody is making any kind of prediction at point about his playing on Wednesday (or even Saturday, for that matter). In other words, all we can do right now is wait and hope.......

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...offs-hints-at-rogers-turmoil/article29548827/

Hey t, how big a story is this up in your neck of the woods ?? I read about the Rogers production honcho getting his pink slip when the news came down last week.....and it was pretty clear from the get-go it was due to slipping NHL ratings. But I'm trying to figure out how legitimate these claims as to the expected really steep decline in Canadian viewership of the playoffs really are.

I freely admit my own interest in the playoffs typically drops off fairly precipitously once the Penguins are eliminated. Of course, that's equally true once the Steelers or Pirates are eliminated. But I guess I previously had this notion that Canadians watched the playoffs in numbers no matter who was still playing. Of course, it obviously does make sense that interest would decline when major Canada markets aren't part of the fun.

But while it's become......at least I assume......rather routine for fans of the Leafs (and others like the Sens and Oil) to be disinterested this time of year, I guess the fact the Canadiens aren't playing has to have Quebecois (and English speaking Quebec, for that matter) pretty upset.....and hence disinterested. And I assume the same is true out in BC (though perhaps to a lesser extent, out in the Prairies).

I also found this notion that Rogers put up some of its games for sale to TSN (and found no interest) to be both interesting and borderline shocking. Guess that proves even the best icemakers can't sell their cubes to Eskimos when there's no want or need. Anyway, this entire situation makes it pretty apparent that when the Commonwealth's six biggest viewing markets.....and that's a pretty amazing reality...... have no rooting interest, there simply has to be some significant effect.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...offs-hints-at-rogers-turmoil/article29548827/

Hey t, how big a story is this up in your neck of the woods ?? I read about the Rogers production honcho getting his pink slip when the news came down last week.....and it was pretty clear from the get-go it was due to slipping NHL ratings. But I'm trying to figure out how legitimate these claims as to the expected really steep decline in Canadian viewership of the playoffs really are.

I freely admit my own interest in the playoffs typically drops off fairly precipitously once the Penguins are eliminated. Of course, that's equally true once the Steelers or Pirates are eliminated. But I guess I previously had this notion that Canadians watched the playoffs in numbers no matter who was still playing. Of course, it obviously does make sense that interest would decline when major Canada markets aren't part of the fun.

But while it's become......at least I assume......rather routine for fans of the Leafs (and others like the Sens and Oil) to be disinterested this time of year, I guess the fact the Canadiens aren't playing has to have Quebecois (and English speaking Quebec, for that matter) pretty upset.....and hence disinterested. And I assume the same is true out in BC (though perhaps to a lesser extent, out in the Prairies).

I also found this notion that Rogers put up some of its games for sale to TSN (and found no interest) to be both interesting and borderline shocking. Guess that proves even the best icemakers can't sell their cubes to Eskimos when there's no want or need. Anyway, this entire situation makes it pretty apparent that when the Commonwealth's six biggest viewing markets.....and that's a pretty amazing reality...... have no rooting interest, there simply has to be some significant effect.
There is absolutely no doubt the Blue Jays (which just so happen to be owned by Rogers) are taking some significant bite out of that hockey viewership this coming April-June! And not just in Ontario but across the country...there are millions of Jays fans from coast to coast here...

Rogers (SN) and TSN (I believe owned by Bell) have what is known as an 'unholy alliance' and are effectively arms length companies that trade programming from time to time.
I think the media tends to lay it on a bit thick with this 'no Canadian teams' and interest factor personally. With the state of the Leafs and to a certain extent a few of the other CDN teams some are electing to watch or do other things but I would argue a much larger percentage have either switched allegiance to a US based team or decide to watch anyway with no real rooting interest...if I took a sample of 10 acquaintance's/ friends I'd estimate 3 are Leaf fans, 2 Habs, and 5 ANY of the more popular US teams....

From what I hear on FAN 590 Radio (Owned by Rogers), the lost ad revenue will represent 1% of earnings so take that as you will....I would be curious to hear Bob McCown's view on it and his business of sports features on 590 and Sportsnet....although he is employed by and broadcast on Rogers radio/tv he doesn't sugar coat it....I will send his show an email and see if they will covee the topic in depth one day soon...

Let's Go Pens!!!

There is absolutely no doubt the Blue Jays (which just so happen to be owned by Rogers) are taking some significant bite out of that hockey viewership this coming April-June! And not just in Ontario but across the country...there are millions of Jays fans from coast to coast here...

Rogers (SN) and TSN (I believe owned by Bell) have what is known as an 'unholy alliance' and are effectively arms length companies that trade programming from time to time.
I think the media tends to lay it on a bit thick with this 'no Canadian teams' and interest factor personally. With the state of the Leafs and to a certain extent a few of the other CDN teams some are electing to watch or do other things but I would argue a much larger percentage have either switched allegiance to a US based team or decide to watch anyway with no real rooting interest...if I took a sample of 10 acquaintance's/ friends I'd estimate 3 are Leaf fans, 2 Habs, and 5 ANY of the more popular US teams....

From what I hear on FAN 590 Radio (Owned by Rogers), the lost ad revenue will represent 1% of earnings so take that as you will....I would be curious to hear Bob McCown's view on it and his business of sports features on 590 and Sportsnet....although he is employed by and broadcast on Rogers radio/tv he doesn't sugar coat it....I will send his show an email and see if they will covee the topic in depth one day soon...

Let's Go Pens!!!

While I appreciate that the Jays are Toronto's team......and everyone with a MLB team (good or bad) is interested in April......I had no idea they drew off that much interest from the NHL.

Perhaps that differs (or declines) at such a time the Leafs turn the corner.....which I myself hope doesn't happen anytime soon; since Babcock started going public with everything that bothers him (regarding all the way the poor Leafs are disadvantaged), I've personally turned fairly violently against him. Meanwhile, though I realize Toronto is probably a different kind of town than any other north of my border, I had no idea team interest (to use your example) was so diversified. I used to think of Toronto more like a CDN version of Chicago; perhaps, from a sporting standpoint, it has more in common, after all, with Los Angeles.

Since I can't watch either network......at least aside the occasional programming (like the lunchtime Hockey Central show) NHL Network carries here in the States......I admit I tend to confuse TSN and SN; though, if I stopped to think about it, I realize they're competitors. And, I do understand the point you're making about the "unholy alliance" between the two. Not that it matters with regard to this particular discussion, I previously thought......even without regard to SN's connect to Rogers......that TSN was the bigger/more influential of the two players in Canada broadcast media (sort of akin to ESPN's "advantage" here in the States over Fox Sports)

Am I mistaken about that ??

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT