ADVERTISEMENT

Pens...March

As we approach April 1st and the playoffs......in which I currently assume most of us think the Pens will participate......I was wondering who you guys would vote for as the team MVP.

In spite of Sid's clearly-great second half.....and his probable Hart nomination......I don't consider him any kind of 'by-acclimation' choice for this award. It's no secret Flower was the only core veteran on the roster who showed up on time this season, and has largely held together since Day 1 (though I continue to think he's falling off). And, an excellent case can be made that Letang has had a second half every bit as good as Sid's, which may actually end up with a Norris nomination. So, who do you pick today ??

Also, I distinctly remember (when I was a kid) the team gave what they called their Unsung Hero award, and I'm wondering who'd win that if it were still being given out today. I think the reflex selection for many fans might be Carl Hagelin; though as a new guy, he doesn't really fit the profile.....plus he's getting a ton of shine from the League media over the past couple weeks for his recent play.

A strong case can certainly be made for Matt Cullen, who has gone totally beyond the call for this team given his age and salary.......and I'd have no issue with him winning this kind of award. But, I myself think I'd favor Brian Dumoulin, who (by several light years) has become their best pure stay-at-home defenseman in his first full season with the club.

I think most Pens fans have come to rely on (and perhaps underestimate) what he brings every night, and the fact we're all concerned.....maybe even more so than Maatta......as to how much time he's going to miss with this latest injury is important. Moreover, when you consider friggin' Ben Lovejoy is probably their second best S-A-H defenseman, that in itself should confirm BD's importance to this team in what formerly was the Paul Martin role.

Interesting that, when everything finally washes out over time, BD might end up being the most important return part of the Jordan Staal deal.

Reactions: torontoeers
As we approach April 1st and the playoffs......in which I currently assume most of us think the Pens will participate......I was wondering who you guys would vote for as the team MVP.

In spite of Sid's clearly-great second half.....and his probable Hart nomination......I don't consider him any kind of 'by-acclimation' choice for this award. It's no secret Flower was the only core veteran on the roster who showed up on time this season, and has largely held together since Day 1 (though I continue to think he's falling off). And, an excellent case can be made that Letang has had a second half every bit as good as Sid's, which may actually end up with a Norris nomination. So, who do you pick today ??

Also, I distinctly remember (when I was a kid) the team gave what they called their Unsung Hero award, and I'm wondering who'd win that if it were still being given out today. I think the reflex selection for many fans might be Carl Hagelin; though as a new guy, he doesn't really fit the profile.....plus he's getting a ton of shine from the League media over the past couple weeks for his recent play.

A strong case can certainly be made for Matt Cullen, who has gone totally beyond the call for this team given his age and salary.......and I'd have no issue with him winning this kind of award. But, I myself think I'd favor Brian Dumoulin, who (by several light years) has become their best pure stay-at-home defenseman in his first full season with the club.

I think most Pens fans have come to rely on (and perhaps underestimate) what he brings every night, and the fact we're all concerned.....maybe even more so than Maatta......as to how much time he's going to miss with this latest injury is important. Moreover, when you consider friggin' Ben Lovejoy is probably their second best S-A-H defenseman, that in itself should confirm BD's importance to this team in what formerly was the Paul Martin role.

Interesting that, when everything finally washes out over time, BD might end up being the most important return part of the Jordan Staal deal.
Hmmm....good questions/points....

My initial reaction was Sid, based on the second half alone but your suggestion on Letang has me thinking in that direction. As you say his second half has been every bit as good as the Captain's and I would wager I have seen him getting downright beat on more often than Sid...and he seems to keep on rolling. I think Daley's arrival and Dumoulin's emergence on the back end has also allowed Letang a bit more freedom to create and press in the O zone, so definite honorable mention to those 2...that Daley can wheel back there and is not caught out of position too often to my eyes...

Unsung hero....Rust is my first suggestion. Goes hard to the net, reasonable skill set, likes to mix it up and is responsible defensively....he has taken a big leap from when we first saw him as a callup imo, and is making himself a very important part of the TEAM....
Cullen I really can't argue with either. I will wait on Hagelin a bit longer till I see how things shake out playoff wise and into next year, but most things look positive with him. I'm starting to get the picture that Carl is simply more of an Eastern Conference style of player....and perhaps Perron is turning out to be the opposite which is fine by me...although in the back of my mind something tells me he will end up slipping more than a bit stats wise in Anaheim, and that if/when it happens it may or may not have anything to do with recent injury....

I'm impressed with Flowers play on the whole all year...he held them in there early in many games the Pens had no business winning...but I also look at him with a bit of a raised eyebrow down the stretch here CM. I'm unsure whether It's a result of his more emotional nature or not? Hoping he can hold the fort down the stretch and into the playoff....

Outshoot the lowly Sabres 18-9 and down 3-0 after one....gotta find a way to let THAT one sink in.

No surprise the game is going this way; my wife lost her job today when her employer closed their Lexington KY, Chattanooga TN, and (regrettably) Cincinnati branch offices east of the Mississippi.....as well as others around the country as well. A total of 22 dismissals in those 3 offices, and 89 nationwide. Maybe she can lace 'em up and get to the Consol in time for the 2nd period.

Outshoot the lowly Sabres 18-9 and down 3-0 after one....gotta find a way to let THAT one sink in.

No surprise the game is going this way; my wife lost her job today when her employer closed their Lexington KY, Chattanooga TN, and (regrettably) Cincinnati branch offices east of the Mississippi.....as well as others around the country as well. A total of 22 dismissals in those 3 offices, and 89 nationwide. Maybe she can lace 'em up and get to the Consol in time for the 2nd period.
Oh man....all I can say is how sorry I am to hear that CM...Not easy to deal with I'm sure. Did she have any sort of warning signs that the company was leaning this way? Not that it matters I suppose as I'm sure it was a shock. ..

On a related note somewhat how is your new position coming along? Hopefully well...I know you mentioned you were out west a few weeks ago....which whether working or not I'm sure is a plus weather wise...

And as per tonight...well that was a MUCH better result than the 1st....seems Murray settled in...or at least the team as a whole did! Good stuff...

Still thinkin on your other msg in the other thread CM...will get back on that one soon...

Sorry to hear about the wife's job. Hopefully she finds something comparable quickly. Nice comeback with the bottom 6 leading the charges. Murray played great late and in OT. Funny how this team wins 9 of 10 (right???) and the two worst efforts were against teams that aren't sniffing the playoffs......don't understand it

Sorry to hear about the wife's job. Hopefully she finds something comparable quickly. Nice comeback with the bottom 6 leading the charges. Murray played great late and in OT. Funny how this team wins 9 of 10 (right???) and the two worst efforts were against teams that aren't sniffing the playoffs......don't understand it

I appreciate the thoughts on my wife's situation, OM....... meanwhile, I also can't figure out what it is that Buffalo, Calgary, and Jersey bring to the CEC that the Rangers, Caps, Cryers, and others haven't. I agree that Murray was VERY solid late, especially in that OT on the Eichel breakaway. Glad the team bailed him out of his rough start.

I'll be VERY interested to see what they bring to tomorrow's game against Nashville (who obviously is NOT Buffalo, Calgary, or Jersey).

Oh man....all I can say is how sorry I am to hear that CM...Not easy to deal with I'm sure. Did she have any sort of warning signs that the company was leaning this way? Not that it matters I suppose as I'm sure it was a shock. ..

On a related note somewhat how is your new position coming along? Hopefully well...I know you mentioned you were out west a few weeks ago....which whether working or not I'm sure is a plus weather wise...

And as per tonight...well that was a MUCH better result than the 1st....seems Murray settled in...or at least the team as a whole did! Good stuff...

Still thinkin on your other msg in the other thread CM...will get back on that one soon...

My wife (and all her local associates) got totally, 100% blind-sided; absolutely NEVER saw it coming. Her office was performing FAR better than the others listed, but I suspect the corporate parent may have decided to cut their losses in this Medicare administration business and depart it altogether at the end of 2016. So, they simply chose to close everything now, and let their Benefits members eat shit until the end of the year (at which time the Company will simply inform them they have to find a new Medicare Benefits Administrator for 2017.

My new job has gotten off a little slowly, but things have begun to pick up for me just this week. Hoping things will continue to mature, and I'm comfortable sooner rather than later. One piece of fun news: National Sales Meeting in Las Vegas (4 days) in late April.

Kessel...nothing...or everything...right now I'm awfully happy to take the latter...let's hope his streak lasts a good distance...

Also Hamonic looks to be gonzo after a knee to knee with Hartnell...I hate to see anyone injured but it sure helps when it's a team you're dueling with. I think Halak is out too? Man the Isles could be in trouble...Fine with me!

Oh...and did I mention I can't stand James F'n Neal before? Lazy SOB toward the end of his stretch in The Burgh, and known as the local jerk who loves himself round these parts in the summertime....I'll take Horny any day of the week, he gives an effort...

And.......as I type...KESSEL! Wow...he is hot, keep it goin!

Last edited:
Peterborough/ North Bay tied up 2 all after tonight's match CM...Decided to wait till Sunday's game (6), as the weather is right crazy round here last few days (wind,snow,t-storms, warm...but hey it's March I guess right!)....one of North Bay's lads actually signed with the Yotes today as well...North Bay to...Phoenix at 19 yo lol...oh what a life!

I think we have the guns to take em, but unfortunately not the home ice advantage...next game will be critical...

My wife (and all her local associates) got totally, 100% blind-sided; absolutely NEVER saw it coming. Her office was performing FAR better than the others listed, but I suspect the corporate parent may have decided to cut their losses in this Medicare administration business and depart it altogether at the end of 2016. So, they simply chose to close everything now, and let their Benefits members eat shit until the end of the year (at which time the Company will simply inform them they have to find a new Medicare Benefits Administrator for 2017.

My new job has gotten off a little slowly, but things have begun to pick up for me just this week. Hoping things will continue to mature, and I'm comfortable sooner rather than later. One piece of fun news: National Sales Meeting in Las Vegas (4 days) in late April.
Actually CM I'll give you the link to 'our:wink:' site (you're a Petes fan now, you have no choice LOL)...Click on the Ang scores in OT header(video) and it'll give you a fairly good interpretation of our little barn up here it is larger than it looks as the one visitor end goes up about 40 rows deep, the camera shots are taken from the club side of the ice where we usually sit (padded wider seats and beer/wine service). 4000 and change is max capacity. You'll notice I imagine right away how wickedly square the corners are at the Memorial Centre, there is no other rink like it...in fact my neighbour (a goalie recently retired from rec play at 55, who had a tryout at the ATLANTA Flames camp way back), says it was a nightmare for him as a visiting goalie in junior...so it is a distinct advantage for the home team knowing just where the puck 'should' bounce!....the Petes can score but can they stop it next few games....
http://www.gopetesgo.com

Vegas! Damn....enjoy that my friend! Should be just about perfect weather then late April![cheers]

Looks like the Petes were scoring like crazy earlier in the series, and now they can't find the damned net. Obviously gotta win tomorrow........ LET'S GO PETES !!!

Last edited:
Looks like the Petes were scoring like crazy earlier in the series, and now they can't find the damned net. Obviously gotta win tomorrow........ LET'S GO PETES !!!
Indeed they can't it seems...frustrating, usually I tend to bring em some luck when present, so hopefully that helps tomorrow!

And re: the Pens....They are doing absolutely everything right of late. Playing the perfect road game this aft...really solid D. Is this 12 of 13 if they hang in for the 3rd? I'm not sure I recall a stretch like this in a few years...and man are they fun to watch. Enjoy the good times while they're here I say!!!

Might be the best 60 minutes they've played all season.

Absolutely nothing flashy.....just carrying the puck with authority, cutting off the passing lanes, beating a usually hard working opponent to most loose pucks, and withstanding all the Isles' typical cheap stuff from Martin and Clutterbuck without retaliating. Add the fact they took fairly full advantage of the Isles' middling goaltending.......and Murray's essentially mistakeless start.....and that's the recipe for a 5-0 ass kicking on enemy ice.

I myself think this was an exceptionally important win because they'd proven this season they can stand up to......and beat......the Craps, Cryers, and Rangers. But the Islanders had still beaten them (in admittedly close games) two straight. Now, we see THIS body slam to the Islanders' all of a sudden somewhat-shaky playoff hopes.

About the only bad news today is Flower; let's just hope he doesn't miss extended time......though if Murray keeps playing reboundless goal, maybe he can go on a Dryden-like playoff win streak of his own.

Might be the best 60 minutes they've played all season.

Absolutely nothing flashy.....just carrying the puck with authority, cutting off the passing lanes, beating a usually hard working opponent to most loose pucks, and withstanding all the Isles' typical cheap stuff from Martin and Clutterbuck without retaliating. Add the fact they took fairly full advantage of the Isles' middling goaltending.......and Murray's essentially mistakeless start.....and that's the recipe for a 5-0 ass kicking on enemy ice.

I myself think this was an exceptionally important win because they'd proven this season they can stand up to......and beat......the Craps, Cryers, and Rangers. But the Islanders had still beaten them (in admittedly close games) two straight. Now, we see THIS body slam to the Islanders' all of a sudden somewhat-shaky playoff hopes.

About the only bad news today is Flower; let's just hope he doesn't miss extended time......though if Murray keeps playing reboundless goal, maybe he can go on a Dryden-like playoff win streak of his own.
AND clinching the playoff spot! ....Murray did look calm in there and looks darned imposing as such a big kid...
On a side note CM...This World Cup of Hockey...In looking at aftermarket tickets today it looks like I'm gonna head to the opener for Canada vs the Czech's with some buddies Saturday night. This should be an almost automatic win but I guess you never know? We really wanted to see the USA/Canada matchup but tickets are off the charts aftermarket (starting at $250 upper and $450 lower!)...the Czech matchup is far more reasonable or I suppose I should say attainable at $140 uppers and $240 lowers. The opener being on a Sat eve in mid Sept should be a hoppin downtown anyway imo...fyi the 3rd game (if necc) for the final is fetching around the same pricepoint as the Can/US tilt...
I'm looking forward to more international hockey with the big guns greatly but I know this team North America youth and team Europe is going to drive me bananas...I look at it this way...I think if I have to watch McDavid score on Price in a semi or final matchup I may go apoplectic lol...how do I not root for the Red Maple Leaf in that scenario? Yet the scorer is Canadian! Same thing could easily happen with Eichel scoring on Schneider! Do you fellas feel the same as I on this? When it's competing under the flag it's somewhat different imo...Canada and USA are about the friendliest neighbor's in the world but when competing on ice the friendship turns to intense heated competition and there's nothing better imo....

Let's put the hammer down on those Cryers tomorrow. ...hoping this is a minor setback for MAF!

Oh one more thing...how do you fellas feel about the 6 games suspension for the repeat stick offender Keith? IMO a complete joke! A wickedly dangerous manoeuvre with intent to injure and this guy gets a holiday rest before the playoffs?!? Total BS...these clowns in the league 'discipline' office take nothing seriously. ...at least not when it involves the playoffs and the media/leagues darling team...what a shame...

Last edited:
Reactions: COOL MAN
AND clinching the playoff spot! ....Murray did look calm in there and looks darned imposing as such a big kid...
On a side note CM...This World Cup of Hockey...In looking at aftermarket tickets today it looks like I'm gonna head to the opener for Canada vs the Czech's with some buddies Saturday night. This should be an almost automatic win but I guess you never know? We really wanted to see the USA/Canada matchup but tickets are off the charts aftermarket (starting at $250 upper and $450 lower!)...the Czech matchup is far more reasonable or I suppose I should say attainable at $140 uppers and $240 lowers. The opener being on a Sat eve in mid Sept should be a hoppin downtown anyway imo...fyi the 3rd game (if necc) for the final is fetching around the same pricepoint as the Can/US tilt...
I'm looking forward to more international hockey with the big guns greatly but I know this team North America youth and team Europe is going to drive me bananas...I look at it this way...I think if I have to watch McDavid score on Price in a semi or final matchup I may go apoplectic lol...how do I not root for the Red Maple Leaf in that scenario? Yet the scorer is Canadian! Same thing could easily happen with Eichel scoring on Schneider! Do you fellas feel the same as I on this? When it's competing under the flag it's somewhat different imo...Canada and USA are about the friendliest neighbor's in the world but when competing on ice the friendship turns to intense heated competition and there's nothing better imo....

Let's put the hammer down on those Cryers tomorrow. ...hoping this is a minor setback for MAF!

Oh one more thing...how do you fellas feel about the 6 games suspension for the repeat stick offender Keith? IMO a complete joke! A wickedly dangerous manoeuvre with intent to injure and this guy gets a holiday rest before the playoffs?!? Total BS...these clowns in the league 'discipline' office take nothing seriously. ...at least not when it involves the playoffs and the media/leagues darling team...what a shame...

The World Cup sounds like it should be fun, though I don't have a good feeling how these Team Europe and (especially) NA ideas are going to work. I mean, who'll REALLY root for NA unless the US.....or Canada, especially ......are eliminated. But having a kids team is an intriguing idea. Hope McDavid is left to that roster.

The League clearly took the chicken-shit way out on Keith. No matter how one feels about Keith..... who we all know is well known as a loose cannon......its clear the League was more interested in protecting the Champs than making a point with the offender. Just that much more reason for fans to turn against the Hawks, which I hope happens (but doubt).

Meanwhile, the Cryers are playing very well, and have a score to settle coming off that ass-kicking they took at home last weekend. I figure Gudas and Simmonds (and others) to take as many (or more) shots today as the Isles did yesterday. And I also expect a TON of Cryers contact......legal or not.....in Murray's crease.

Here's hoping for a 3-4 point game from a pissed-off Crosby.....

I was going to start a new April thread, but it occurs we should just go ahead and stick with this March thread through the rest of the regular season.......especially since it's proven to be pretty good luck for the Black & Vegas Gold.

And maybe we then start a dedicated Playoffs thread a week from now; whaddya' think ??

I was going to start a new April thread, but it occurs we should just go ahead and stick with this March thread through the rest of the regular season.......especially since it's proven to be pretty good luck for the Black & Vegas Gold.

And maybe we then start a dedicated Playoffs thread a week from now; whaddya' think ??
I like the idea...and I like it even better now...SID! BOOM! [banana]....and...SHEARY! BOOM!! Hahahaha....[cheers]

OOPS! BENNETT! Even better....I bet he was happy to bury one!

Last edited:
BTW CM...do the Bucs start today as well? Jays and Rays on now too....good guys up 3-1 late....boys of spring as I look at 5 inches of snow from the front window! Needless to say no Petes game tonight for me...driving is terrible

Wayne Simmonds just replaced P.K. Subban on my list of the three players I dislike the most behind Ovechkin and Marchand.

Yeah these are the CRYERS alright!!! Getting schooled and Simmonds with the stick to the jugular of Murray! Wtf this guy? Suspension worthy...he knew just what he was doing...pathetic! Go home Cryers....tail between legs as usual!:cool2:

Lol....you and I thinkin same Euell! Wtf was that?!? Pretty low brow play right there!
Since you told me Subban did a lot for the community and then I saw the same thing on tv, I had been looking for somebody to replace him with. Dirty Bas!@&d Simmonds made the cut! I hope the Pens meet up with them in playoffs at some point. Maybe not the "Broad Street Bullies" of yesteryear, but still a bunch of asshats!

While we fans go bananas at the Simmonds poke in Murray's face, it appears as though Murray himself considered it much ado about nothing. While saying in the post game he believed it was intentional, Murray is also being quoted as saying "no harm done" and that Simmonds "kind-of" apologized (whatever that means exactly) for the incident.

Gotta' give him credit; he's playing it very smart in the media, especially with an upcoming return match in Philly in which he may or may not play, depending on the standings. Sounds like a pretty mature young man to me......

With that post game comment in mind, perhaps the most impressive aspect of yesterday's game to me was how the Pens largely ignored most of the Flyers' cheap stuff......as we've been moaning about for, oh, at least the last 5 years. Letang took a couple major shots......one, of course, by Simmonds......and with his personal track record, should be commended for sticking with the game plan (while he was, of course, hurting).

Sid, I thought, also did a pretty solid job minding his own business as well. Of course, none of this recognizes that the shortest fuse on the Pens roster didn't play......and hasn't played for the last 6 weeks. Still, while the Pens do have a fair number of vets who should know better, it's hard not to focus on HCMS for the switch in the team's on-ice attitude (including what they showed Saturday versus the Islanders).

Why Disco Dan and Johnston couldn't find that same switch remains hard to understand. I'm beginning to wonder if the blatant disregard the team had been getting in the League-wide media......with Kessel in the spotlight......finally got under the skins of the team leaders. Of course, GMJR's additions to the roster.....plus Sully's message......are presumably the key factors.

Anyway, the key remaining question is how long can the team continue to carry this momentum; you gotta' think the steam-roller has to run out of gas at some point relatively soon. It'll be interesting to see how they come out tomorrow versus Ottawa; a beaten team (and franchise) who usually play the Pens with a fair amount of disrespect. I presume Chris Neal will be out there taking his usual shots, though at least Phaneuf won't be out there running Sid in a meaningless (to them) game.

Speaking of the Sens, when I look at their roster, I still wonder why they don't win more than they do. I must be guilty of badly overrating them, because I happen to think they have at least a half dozen really good players (though I admit I get sick of hearing about no-D Eriksson sometimes).......and decent goaltending. Maybe you guys disagree.

Finally, I still want the Cryers to just squeeze into the playoffs in the 2nd WC slot......and let Simmonds and Gudas and Cousins and White and Manning cheap shot the shit out of Washington in the 1st Round.

Oh, GOOOOOO PETES !!!!!!!

While 13-1 is impressive in any league, the way they are just crushing teams is nothing short of amazing. The Pens just attack in waves and overwhelm opponents. Sort of reminds me of the early 80's Islanders where the 3rd and 4th line contributed significantly. While the Pens might not have the most talent on lines 3 and 4 as others in the league, the "want to" and speed on those lines are leading to excellent performances.

Not sure how long MAF will be out, but Murray was sure impressive on the road this Saturday. Letang is incredible right now. The Hagelin goal Sunday was superb. Kuhnhackle was just blowing by Flyers all evening. Matt Cullen is playing 10 years younger than his age. I can go on but you all get the point. This team is just plain fun to watch right now.

While 13-1 is impressive in any league, the way they are just crushing teams is nothing short of amazing. The Pens just attack in waves and overwhelm opponents. Sort of reminds me of the early 80's Islanders where the 3rd and 4th line contributed significantly. While the Pens might not have the most talent on lines 3 and 4 as others in the league, the "want to" and speed on those lines are leading to excellent performances.

Not sure how long MAF will be out, but Murray was sure impressive on the road this Saturday. Letang is incredible right now. The Hagelin goal Sunday was superb. Kuhnhackle was just blowing by Flyers all evening. Matt Cullen is playing 10 years younger than his age. I can go on but you all get the point. This team is just plain fun to watch right now.

I agree with everything you said.

Even during their 2008-2010 Cup run.....though their depth (with Billy Guerin, Gary Roberts, and others) was admittedly excellent......they seemed to win far more on sheer skill than hard work. This team, on the other hand, seems to work hard for most everything they earn; hell, even friggin' Kessel seems to be breaking a serious sweat every game. Who knows, his weight just might slip below 250 before the season wraps up :scream:

I've never thought of Geno in any regard as a slacker; still, I don't recall this team playing quite this way before he went to the injury sidelines. He may very well be getting played off this roster (and depending on how far this team goes, legitimately onto the trade table)

I agree with everything you said.

Even during their 2008-2010 Cup run.....though their depth (with Billy Guerin, Gary Roberts, and others) was admittedly excellent......they seemed to win far more on sheer skill than hard work. This team, on the other hand, seems to work hard for most everything they earn; hell, even friggin' Kessel seems to be breaking a serious sweat every game. Who knows, his weight just might slip below 250 before the season wraps up :scream:

I've never thought of Geno in any regard as a slacker; still, I don't recall this team playing quite this way before he went to the injury sidelines. He may very well be getting played off this roster (and depending on how far this team goes, legitimately onto the trade table)

I recently watched the highlights from the 2009 Cup run. Geno was incredible and the hardest worker on the ice. Every now and then, he resembles that player and you realize how good he can be. (IMO he is the best player in the league when he wants to be) But to your point, I have said for a few years now that a team can't have to centers so careless with the puck. And the Pens have two that have notoriously been careless. When they are both active, the unforced turnovers seem to skyrocket. By the way, look how good Sid has been with the puck. His plus minus since the hiring of HCMS has been excellent and rarely do you see the cross ice pass from him at the blue line (I can recall one against Buffalo). So if he comes back and plays poorly, I could see the Pens trying to move Geno. I really could.

Gents...any preferred dance partner in this first round? I can honestly say I'd be pretty happy to draw either of the NY teams at the current juncture with the way the Pens have been playing them both of late...if pushed I'd lean toward the Isles with their less than stellar backend...specifically netminding! Home ice would be a definite plus so hopefully they hang on to that...

Also anyone any idea on when game dates would be announced? I suppose not till seeding is settled which could go down to the wire...I'm aiming to make it down for one of these first round games. I see tix are already listed aftermarket , not sure if the entire lot have been put out there or not yet? Pricing is high (as most games are) but not a giant leap from reg season ducats....fortunately the wife likes The Burgh, The Pens and hockey in general so at least I'll save $$$ from the florists in trying to convince/bribe her lol....:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Gents...any preferred dance partner in this first round? I can honestly say I'd be pretty happy to draw either of the NY teams at the current juncture with the way the Pens have been playing them both of late...if pushed I'd lean toward the Isles with their less than stellar backend...specifically netminding! Home ice would be a definite plus so hopefully they hang on to that...

Also anyone any idea on when game dates would be announced? I suppose not till seeding is settled which could go down to the wire...I'm aiming to make it down for one of these first round games. I see tix are already listed aftermarket , not sure if the entire lot have been put out there or not yet? Pricing is high (as most games are) but not a giant leap from reg season ducats....fortunately the wife likes The Burgh, The Pens and hockey in general so at least I'll save $$$ from the florists in trying to convince/bribe her lol....:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Previously, I'd have picked the Rangers; Pens match up better physically in a long series than with the NYI......they're off the losing snide against them.....and King Henrik isn't scaring me anymore. However, the NYI are having goaltending problems.......I'll take my chances with THIS Penguins team versus a FINALLY declining Thomas Greiss.....and I think their loss of Harmonic is huge (perhaps more so versus the Penguins than anyone else in the League).

Of course, the Islanders are still bigger and FAR tougher than the NYR, and now McDonough is out......which as big a loss for the Rangers as Hamonic is for the NYI. I guess I'm thinking I don't care who the Pens draw in Round 1; though if you put a gun to my head, I think I'd still pick the NYR.

Previously, I'd have picked the Rangers; Pens match up better physically in a long series than with the NYI......they're off the losing snide against them.....and King Henrik isn't scaring me anymore. However, the NYI are having goaltending problems.......I'll take my chances with THIS Penguins team versus a FINALLY declining Thomas Greiss.....and I think their loss of Harmonic is huge (perhaps more so versus the Penguins than anyone else in the League).

Of course, the Islanders are still bigger and FAR tougher than the NYR, and now McDonough is out......which as big a loss for the Rangers as Hamonic is for the NYI. I guess I'm thinking I don't care who the Pens draw in Round 1; though if you put a gun to my head, I think I'd still pick the NYR.
Good point re: the size factor....and since the Rangers (from my eyes anyway) probably play the closest thing to a true man to man D, I think the Pens continue to have an easy time getting around their pairing down low quickly....
I'd rather the Cryers than Boston grabbing that last spot purely based on a potential matchup perspective down the road but....wouldn't it be a pleasure if there were an opportunity to eliminate them in their barn Saturday afternoon? :smiley:....Lets get these last two starting tonight!!!

Good point re: the size factor....and since the Rangers (from my eyes anyway) probably play the closest thing to a true man to man D, I think the Pens continue to have an easy time getting around their pairing down low quickly....I'd rather the Cryers than Boston grabbing that last spot purely based on a potential matchup perspective down the road but....wouldn't it be a pleasure if there were an opportunity to eliminate them in their barn Saturday afternoon? :smiley:....Lets get these last two starting tonight!!!

It's that kind of comment that makes you so damned valuable to our discussions around here; most of us are "experts" from the grandstand (and watching the tube), but you played the game......and more importantly, you understand its nuances in a way most of us can only dream.

Pens PP on the Wilson major sounded like a downright abortion.......meanwhile, Craps just made it 3-1 (glad Sheary got that third goal), and Letang and Ovechkin have just left on the matching minors.

It's that kind of comment that makes you so damned valuable to our discussions around here; most of us are "experts" from the grandstand (and watching the tube), but you played the game......and more importantly, you understand its nuances in a way most of us can only dream.

Pens PP on the Wilson major sounded like a downright abortion.......meanwhile, Craps just made it 3-1 (glad Sheary got that third goal), and Letang and Ovechkin have just left on the matching minors.
You give me too much cred...I'm a hack round these parts lol! I thoroughly enjoy the banter on here with yourself OM1, and Euell and especially because there is a vested interest even moreso than I with our Mountaineers as well as the Pens.... being grads or state natives yourselves...I just wonder where the bEER fella is? He often has his ear to the ground in terms of all things Pens as well?

Ovi was fairly bottled up all night with Letang really containing him eh?

I am now starting to wonder if what I was discussing with the manager(Ranger fan) at my downtown supplier will come to fruition. ...will they effectively throw that game vs the Isles in order to draw Fla? I think I'd consider it at this point were I them lol....

Also...you would have thoroughly enjoyed my banter with my Leafer buddies tonight...they were going positively apoplectic that they beat the Cryers and the dead last spot is in jeopardy while at same time ignoring all the previous Pens jabs I had brought up from their mouths months ago....tomorrow I'll have a big shit eating grin on for more Leaf fans! Ah....life is GOOD! :smiley:

Well, never a good thing to lose a 3 goal lead.....whether to Ovechkin's Craps or Beliveau's Canadiens. But they still find a way to pull it out on the road with Sid wishboning Holtby (who was totally overmatched) on the breakaway; Sid played him like a friggin' puppet master. If you didn't notice, take a look at the replay of Sid's game winner and tell me the last time you saw Sid smiling/laughing quite that much on any goal (or game winner).

No question, Sid wants to beat the Craps a lot.......and if I were a Craps fan, I'd be way less confident in Holtby going into the playoffs than I would have been 6 weeks ago. Even though they should still rightfully be favored all the way through the East playoffs, you can bet your arse the Craps (and their fans) are going to be one nervous group if they come across the Pens in the 2nd around

You give me too much cred...I'm a hack round these parts lol! I thoroughly enjoy the banter on here with yourself OM1, and Euell and especially because there is a vested interest even moreso than I with our Mountaineers as well as the Pens.... being grads or state natives yourselves...I just wonder where the bEER fella is? He often has his ear to the ground in terms of all things Pens as well?

Ovi was fairly bottled up all night with Letang really containing him eh?

I am now starting to wonder if what I was discussing with the manager(Ranger fan) at my downtown supplier will come to fruition. ...will they effectively throw that game vs the Isles in order to draw Fla? I think I'd consider it at this point were I them lol....

Also...you would have thoroughly enjoyed my banter with my Leafer buddies tonight...they were going positively apoplectic that they beat the Cryers and the dead last spot is in jeopardy while at same time ignoring all the previous Pens jabs I had brought up from their mouths months ago....tomorrow I'll have a big shit eating grin on for more Leaf fans! Ah....life is GOOD! :smiley:
A guy with my limited knowledge should not be mentioned in the same breath as the rest of you. However, I am so jacked up for the playoffs to start! Especially considering it was not that long ago it looked like making them was a longshot. Getting rid of the Undertaker and bringing in Coach Sully made a huge difference. I think getting Hagelin with his rockets was instrumental in this run also. I have been very impressed with Matt Cullen lately. Murray has been shaky at times, but coming up with big saves also. Eager to get MAF and Malkin back ASAP. Hang on guys-this could be fun!

Now that home ice is clinched, it'll be interesting to see how HCMS plays the last two games in terms of the roster. Word from Pittsburgh in the past day or so was that Flower is making good progress. DK was very explicit.....as were others in the local media.....in noting that while Geno and Maatta have been ruled out of the rest of the regular season, Flower was not referenced in that discussion.

That would seem to imply the possibility of Flower getting a start before the playoffs, which I myself would like......even if means playing behind a lineup which might be dumbed-down a bit for pre-playoff rest purposes. I myself wouldn't mind seeing Letang sit out at least a full game altogether; and while I myself doubt Sid would sit out, I suspect his minutes would be dialed back.

Speaking of injuries, DK is reporting this morning that Geno may be closing-in on a return. Nobody is saying he'll be ready for Game 1 next week, but I believe he's now handling the puck in practice, and may indeed be considered available at some point in the series. One more thing about Geno; DK is saying he's staying in Pittsburgh this summer, which is a dramatic departure from his usual Moscow, Caribbean, et al routine after the season ends.

The implication is that he's concerned about his continued injury problems, and believes (I think) focusing more on his conditioning rather than his tan is the correct thing to do at his age. To me, that's a good sign; although this injury history would seem to be a key factor in whatever attempts GMJR would theoretically make to move him in the off-season for any kind of even remotely acceptable package.

Looks like this season will mark the merciful end of Vegas Gold for the Pens, at least according to the following from this afternoon's Pitt Post Gazette:

Are the Penguins poised to ditch Vegas gold?
April 8, 2016 4:21 PM

Peter Diana/Post-Gazette

If the change is arriving as soon as next week’s Stanley Cup Playoffs begin, the Penguins aren’t saying.

“We’re not going to comment right now,” Penguins spokesman Tom McMillan said on Friday. He said any playoff related announcements will come next week.

But there are several signs around the city that support Monaco’s hope that the Penguins will make the change.

Earlier this year, the Penguins released their 50th anniversary logo for the upcoming season, which had not a hint a Vegas gold — a lighter, more metallic color — but instead, featured the Lemieux-era Pittsburgh gold — similar to the gold worn by the Steelers and Pirates, or as some people call it, “yellow.”

The team’s Stanley Cup Playoff logo also featured Pittsburgh gold, which is the color scheme featured on the team’s alternate jerseys this season. Their regular home and away sweaters feature Vegas gold.

Several local vendors have heavily discounted Vegas gold merchandise in recent months, including one who said his vendors told him earlier this winter that Vegas gold would soon be history.

“As of right now the Vegas gold is gone,” said Jim Coen, owner of Yinzers in the Strip District. “They’re going to go to more of the old black and yellow, more like the Lemieux era.”

Coen said he often gets notice from his vendors so he can clear out merchandise to make way for a new jersey, or before an old one is no longer the hot ticket.

“They usually give us a heads up when they tell us they’re not going to sell something,” said Coen. “ We put our Vegas Gold 50 percent off.”

He even keeps his ear to the pavement when trade rumors swirl.

“If we think a player is going to be traded. He goes on sale,” said Coen. “We’re pretty sharp. If a player is going to be traded, very rarely do we get stuck with stuff. That’s when we start banging them out.”

Vegas gold jerseys in the team store at Consol Energy Center have been on sale for several weeks now, along with many area sports merchandise shops. Pro Image Sports in Ross Park Mall recently had all its Vegas gold merchandise marked down by 75 percent.

Chris Creamer, who runs the website SportsLogos.net tweeted earlier this winter that “Yes, can confirm the #Penguins will have new uniforms next season.”

What those uniforms look like is anybody’s guess, but Monaco hopes they have a familiar hue.

Monaco said she and her mom, Laura Monaco, who are from Pleasant Hills, have had a season ticket package to the Penguins since she was 3.

Every night is a Pittsburgh Gold kind of night @penguins

— PGH Gold Movement (@Penguins_Gold) March 4, 2016
Her favorite players were Alexei Kovalev, Jaromir Jagr and Darius Kasparaitis, and created an attachment to the color scheme they wore.

“They were my favorites. I would go to games and see them in those jerseys,” said Monaco. “ That’s probably what I remember most. I know the Pens had those slumping years before we got [Sidney] Crosby, but I had those fond memories from when I was a little kid.”

One more late Friday afternoon tidbit if you haven't already heard, the League's newest Pens killer.....NYI horse-forward Anders Lee.....got his leg busted last night after taking a shot from Johnny Boychuk.

With Travis Hamonic and now Lee......each more trouble for the Pens than Ovechkin or Backstrom or Tavares or Dubinsky or Jenner or most anyone else in the game......both evidently out of the Islanders lineup for awhile, I think I may now be hoping the Pens draw the Islanders in the first round after all. Of course, the more one "wishes" to play a specific team in the playoffs, the more likely it is to come back and bite one in the arse.

Whomever the hell Monaco is if she's alk enamoured with the league's laziest player of ALL TIME Kovalev it makes me LMFAO! ....
I won't hide the fact that truthfully I like the Vegas Gold....in fact quite a bit...I also enjoy the throwback more yellow gold from the 66 era....if they deem the change necessary then I have no issue with it BUT I honestly wish when they come out with the latest and greatest shit they at least hang onto it for an extended period or at minimum feature it every so often....when I and others spend close to $300 on a jersey we expect it to last...

Whomever the hell Monaco is if she's alk enamoured with the league's laziest player of ALL TIME Kovalev it makes me LMFAO! ....
I won't hide the fact that truthfully I like the Vegas Gold....in fact quite a bit...I also enjoy the throwback more yellow gold from the 66 era....if they deem the change necessary then I have no issue with it BUT I honestly wish when they come out with the latest and greatest shit they at least hang onto it for an extended period or at minimum feature it every so often....when I and others spend close to $300 on a jersey we expect it to last...

IMO, Kovalev.....while certainly never a guy who'd be confused with Gretzky for work ethic.....was not (during his Penguins days in the 1990's, not 2 years ago) the kind of slug be eventually became.

In fact, I still consider him the most dangerous......and that includes Lemieux, Yagr, Kevin Stevens, Crosby, and Malkin.....pure shooter ever in Pittsburgh. Maybe we're seeing some similar indications from Kessel recently, but nobody for the Penguins could ever turn an opposing goaltender into absolute stone like Kovalev when he was atop his game after arriving from the NYR.

Meanwhile, didn't you tell me your new Malkin autograph jersey was Black with Lemieux Gold, or am I mistaken about that ?? Or, are you referring to another jersey from beyond that from the gift bag you recently purchased ?? Not that my opinion means anything, but it honestly wouldn't surprise me if the current 3rd black becomes the new base home jersey.

However, I still wouldn't mind the team taking the base 2014-15 Winter Classic white jersey.....and changing the Vegas Gold to Lemieux Gold.....for the new road combination..

ADVERTISEMENT