ADVERTISEMENT

Pens...March

torontoeers

All-American
Nov 20, 2010
Port Perry Ontario
Sorry CM I beat ya to this topic line...I figure you are busy with the new job and will pick up the slack lol.

Well...how after 2 inspired efforts you manage to let the Flames come into your barn and effectively neutralize your attack I don't know, but this WAS an important game. I thought the team as a whole worked hard, the D looked rather porous to my eyes however. MAF did give some fairly large rebounds which was a bit odd? Geno, Sid, Horny, Kunitz looked like they were working hard all game, and yet here I am back to #81...yawn. He continually lacks the fortitude to get involved in the play in the D zone. There are opportunities where he could simply skate about 5-6 feet and nope...doesn't want to get dirty. It is no wonder he was left off the team USA top 16 roster...5 years ago this guy was a LOCK...would be on the top line....how do we trade this guy? If you're scoring at a 40 goal clip I can deal with the D liabilities but no way can I excuse it if you're under 30....

Glad you started the March thread, t.......

I'm also glad my wife and I took in a late afternoon matinee of Spotlight rather than parking my dead ass in front of the tube and dealing with a performance that COULD be looked upon a month from now as 2 points they really needed. The win over the Rangers not withstanding, the Metro-heavy schedule the rest of the season has me......as I knew would be the case when the schedule was initially released....terrified as to their ability to make the post-season. And turds like yesterday's just make things SO much more complicated.

Meanwhile, regarding PK's initial pass over on the USA WC roster.....why is it I find myself imagining his first response to the news was that now familiar weak grin, a modest shrug of his shoulders, and some calm/unemotional "who gives a shit" comments to whomever happened to be sitting next to him at the bar ???

Well, it's finally happened; Pens have activated Tom Sestito in time for today's game versus the NJD......though I suspect it's really more about getting him acclimated in advance of all the upcoming games versus the Craps, Cryers, Islanders, and Rangers (not to mention the last game of the season's series versus Columbus) in the next month. Just hope he can play his 6-8 minutes/game without spending a minimum half of the time (or more) in the box.

Couple more pre-game tidbits heading into Newark outside the Sestito "revelation".....

--After taking a hit yesterday, Hagelin is out today (not considered concussion related at this point).

--Schultz WILL dress today while Pouliot sits (said to be too much defensive liability with both in the lineup)

--Murray in the cage; I'm shocked he didn't play versus Calgary so Flower could start today in the divisional matchup. But MAF has seemingly ALWAYS gotten the home benefit in the home/road back-to-backer scenario.

Well...it's certainly apparent to this guy that the Devils are a junkpile without a lights out goalie between the pipes, all the way back to Brodeur, and now (without) Schneider in there, seeing as they are the one team that seems to defy analytics, it makes sense....all good , Pens take advantage and gain the much needed points.
Question. ...can we catch the Isles and get higher than the WC position? I guess this next month of Metro onslaught should tell us...

Also...Tootoo...this kid still doesn't get it....I'm shocked he's still in the league quite frankly...

Well...it's certainly apparent to this guy that the Devils are a junkpile without a lights out goalie between the pipes, all the way back to Brodeur, and now (without) Schneider in there, seeing as they are the one team that seems to defy analytics, it makes sense....all good , Pens take advantage and gain the much needed points.
Question. ...can we catch the Isles and get higher than the WC position? I guess this next month of Metro onslaught should tell us...

Also...Tootoo...this kid still doesn't get it....I'm shocked he's still in the league quite frankly...

Yeah, last night certainly showed how critical goaltending is for NJ......and worse for them, Schneider is supposedly out at least 2 weeks. Assuming Columbus starts their customary who-gives-a-shit late season streak soon, the Devils could end up in last place in the Metro when it's all said and done.

As for the Islanders, they're playing better (7-2-1 in their last 10) than the Pens right now (6-4-0).....and they have 2 games in hand. If the Pens have any sight at all on 3rd place in the Metro, they damned well better figure on a regulation (no OT) win tomorrow night. Unless the Isles crash, I think it unlikely the Pens catch them; especially with their schedule.

Regarding Tootoo, it's been some time since I've paid attention to his act (and I don't spend a lot of time watching the Devils on Center Ice. But yesterday, he's came off as an absolute retard out there; I mean, he was acting like he actually had a couple loose wires in that skull of his. Lucky he's a little fart; otherwise, he'd be a fairly serious menace. While JT admittedly got the head start in the fight, I thought Sestito actually handled the entire incident.....including when he evidently responded to the Jersey bench......pretty well all the way around.

Meanwhile, TS came out in the postgame last night stating he's ready to run Dubinsky this Saturday night. He has no intention of letting Dubinsky take free shots at Sid.....though with nothing left to play for, Torts presumably will be perfectly happy to let Jenner run at Sid if TS neutralizes BD.

Damn these Isles uni's are butt ugly! Borderline worse than the old soggy fisherman one's from years ago imo...I take it that this is some predictable play on the Brooklyn Nets dud's? Which I find ridiculously boring....that's all....and Let's Go Pens!!!

Damn these Isles uni's are butt ugly! Borderline worse than the old soggy fisherman one's from years ago imo...I take it that this is some predictable play on the Brooklyn Nets dud's? Which I find ridiculously boring....that's all....and Let's Go Pens!!!

I actually don't mind them; .the logo is obviously something short of inspired, but I don't mind the general style. Conservative for sure; a little reminiscent to me of Winnipeg's home blues.

I actually don't mind them; .the logo is obviously something short of inspired, but I don't mind the general style. Conservative for sure; a little reminiscent to me of Winnipeg's home blues.
I suppose that would be my first complaint is the logo! Maybe at least a trim colour around the numbers? ....apparently it doesnt matter what Johnny T is wearing...he's full on to the task with Sid/Geno tonight...one of these guns is gonna break it open soon....

And THAT gents is why I've been screaming for a big bruiser in front of our cage....so is 50% of the league I suppose lol....
I don't want Letang taking those shots night after night it seems....damn!

And now Cole not thinking....this has gone to SHIT right quick....

Last edited:
And a YAWNING cage yet again....who's got the puck? I've got about 20 sordid adjectives to describe him....real nice ones too! .....where is the angry emoticon when you need it?

And Greiss in net too at the end....arrgh!!!

how does a professional player with the pedigree of a Kessel not bury that puck at the end? Why did he feel the need to place the puck on a tee allowing both the defenseman and keeper to cover the play? No need for a one-timer even, just reasonably quick hands!

Dk was saying yesterday that Kessel is really beginning to grip the stick; not unlike what Sid (and Dave Perron) was thought to be doing earlier this season. Of course, that's the common "defense" for the non-performer in hockey; and while I've never played the game, I think there IS some legitimacy to that phenomenon.

Still, I wish PK would at least translate that frustration into some more consistent 200'.... and PP zone.....hustle (which we HAVE seen from him on occasion). And if he indeed IS gripping the stick right now, I have to agree he's come about that problem honestly.

Dk was saying yesterday that Kessel is really beginning to grip the stick; not unlike what Sid (and Dave Perron) was thought to be doing earlier this season. Of course, that's the common "defense" for the non-performer in hockey; and while I've never played the game, I think there IS some legitimacy to that phenomenon.

Still, I wish PK would at least translate that frustration into some more consistent 200'.... and PP zone.....hustle (which we HAVE seen from him on occasion). And if he indeed IS gripping the stick right now, I have to agree he's come about that problem honestly.
Indeed imo there IS some credence that can be put to that explanation....and likely that has something to do with his druthers....however in saying that when I look at PK's stats over the last 5 years he has been steadily (albeit gradually) declining. Especially his CORSI (Which I don't use as gospel all the time but is a fairly good indicator of how a player's overall game is doing). From my perspective I know I wouldn't be on him all the time if we saw that effort you're talking about more often than not....you fella's know to take my opinion with a grain of salt on ole Phil anyway lol, after I've had to listen to folks up this way bitch and moan about him ad nauseam over the last few years....by my estimate 60% of it fairly, and 40% of it generally because of being asshat know it all Leaf LOSERS!

You heading out to tomorrow nights game down the road CM? I remember you mentioned it may be a possibility a few months ago if your schedule worked out....lets hope Sestito has his eyes focused on the Dubinsky /Jenner combo as you mentioned above....far be it from Torts to turn down an opportunity to let his headhunters run wild on a (hopefully) playoff bound team....

No, I will not attend the game......it's possible tickets might be a little hard to come by. As for Sesito versus Dubinsky/Jenner, I'm not sure it will happen. Since Torts has the last change, he can keep those two away from Sesito......while putting out Prout to deal with him.

So gents....gimmie the short form rundown on the game if you watched? I made the trip down the block to the local microbrew for my neighbours /friends 54th tonight... I was tracking things and to hang in there for a full period up one vs a group of dirtbags is no small accomplishment imo....well done Pens. ...onwards and upwards!!!!

Considering how the Pens usually get pushed around, last night was a pretty decent performance. Team skated well most of the night, and they had the Jackets out shot by a full 10 shots before the CBJ started their obligatory late game press which evened the shot totals quite a bit. But even given the extended time with the biscuit in their Pens zone, the CBJ really never seriously threatened to tie.

I didn't see the whole game given the time I spent with the OU-WVU game, but I only saw a fraction the cheap/late stuff we usually see from the CBJ. Dubinsky played it pretty much straight down the middle. However, Jenner played his usual game, as did Prout. But no fights that I can remember.

Of course, China Doll Geno returned; and on a comparatively benign play, left the scrum with a broken hand (or wrist) and he's out 6-8 weeks......which means we've seen the last of him this season.....unless, that is, they go on a post season run which I don't think they have in them even if Geno was full strength. That's obviously a miserable injury at the worst possible time, and this is hardly the first time we've seen it happen.

I do hate to equate him with Beau Bennett, but there certainly seem to be plenty of injury comparables between the two.

[WVU][WVU] Thanks for the breakdown CM...man this Geno injury could not come at a worse time...damn!....Mountaineers holding their own here vs Kansas!...That is supposed to be one flying WV at end of message lol...oh well...

Nice win for the Pens today.......I thought it was a 1230 start, so I missed the 19 shots the NYR had in the first period. I also admit I was furious when MAF misplayed that wrap-around into a tying goal, so I was equally pleased on Staal's accidental redirect into his own goal for the game winner.

The last 2 games......especially the last one in Pittsburgh......seem to have significantly dented Lundqvist's air of invincibility; and that's good to see. It's also good to see the production they're getting from 3rd and 4th liners; 2 goals for Sheary is something I'm not sure I'd have EVER expected to see. They seem largely to be off that snide versus the NYR; now they have to work on doing the same against the League media's all-of-a-sudden new favorite team, the Cryers.

I am starting to think I'd like the Rangers first round...the Pens have proven the ability to get under HR's skin, and their D looks rather ordinary of late...

So...I have procured a #71 :smiley: signed jersey,from the Root Sports backpack auction, and the pucks were signed by Bob Errey (whom I always liked), and Horny. Thumbs up all around imo gents!
Now I've gotta figure out how much it's gonna cost me to frame that jersey....not sure the going rate on that type of job? It will be proudly displayed in the Mountaineer/Penguin man cave....god willing for years to come!

Reactions: COOL MAN
Also....these 3rd/4th liners really continue to impress me guys...Cullen, Sheary, Rust, even Porter when given an opportunity are making the most of it....plumbers aren't going to 'win' you the game come playoff time but they'll be vitally important to prevent ya from losing it....energy and effort when needed. Last few years our 3rd/4th lines haven't had that imo....

Now...let's break this thing open....

Back from a week in SoCal to catch the Pens/Cryers this afternoon. Different teams, of course.......and the Cryers are probably THE best team in the League right now.....but I'm hoping the Pens can find some confidence today in the fact they're finally off the Rangers snide.

Let's just hope Sid keeps his head screwed on straight, and we get the bulletproof Flower rather than the one who seems (to my eyes) to be regressing into the guy from earlier in his career who gave up too many soft ones. If the Pens win today, it won't surprise me at all if it's viewed as MAF's best game of the season.

Nice effort today; I recall thinking when the Schenn couldn't convert on that play when Flower was left alone early in the first......and then when they couldn't convert on the other odd man rushes later in the 1st......this might be the Pens day.

Key for the Pens was that roofer by Daley right after the Letang tip on the Gudas (who appears the latest in a long line of Cryer hacks) shot. Allowed the Pens to start skating again on a level surface; important on a day where another lucky one for the Cryers could have been important.

Pens now in 3rd place (though the NYI have 2 games in hand before tonight vs. Dallas). Too bad Seguin got hurt Thursday; I'm concerned the Stars will have emotional trouble being ready for an Islanders team who usually plays fairly well on the road. Here's hoping Greiss has a bad night.

Going for 6 in a row tomorrow versus the Craps; as always, that'll be a tough one.....especially since the Craps are off today.....but the Pens should come in feeling good. I assume Flower will start, given the 3 full days off before that 3 games in 4 nights stretch beginning Thursday.

I am starting to think I'd like the Rangers first round...the Pens have proven the ability to get under HR's skin, and their D looks rather ordinary of late...

So...I have procured a #71 :smiley: signed jersey,from the Root Sports backpack auction, and the pucks were signed by Bob Errey (whom I always liked), and Horny. Thumbs up all around imo gents!
Now I've gotta figure out how much it's gonna cost me to frame that jersey....not sure the going rate on that type of job? It will be proudly displayed in the Mountaineer/Penguin man cave....god willing for years to come!

Assuming the jersey is a home black, is it a Vegas or Mario gold version ??

Assuming the jersey is a home black, is it a Vegas or Mario gold version ??
Well CM...your point on Flower sure seems on the money today! Not even 10 minutes in and he's making me real nervous...wandering aimlessly, and out of position more than once. Let's hope he settles down....

How was SoCal? I'm jealous lol!

Nice that Dallas did us the favour last night for certain...and yes the jersey is indeed the black with Mario Gold as they are wearing today......

RUST!!!! Boom! Yes sir!

Awesome! Congrats! Bring on the Rangers!

Well, after the best 24 hours this season......and arguably the past couple seasons......I'm wondering it it's now safe now to think of the Pens as someone who might be able to make some noise beyond the first round of the playoffs.

Saturday simply had to give them a major shot in the arm; and the fact they proved they can outskate the Cryers......that is, if they bring a comparable amount of effort.....they can now head into the last two games of that season's series with some legitimate confidence, home or away.

And while I've never felt as though the bigger Craps ever intimidated the Pens to the extent of Philly or the Islanders, last night proved the Pens can beat the Craps at their own rough game. Of course, it helped quite a bit that Holtby had a bad night; here's hoping that was a shot to his confidence similar to that we think King Henrik has taken. But if the Pens keep holding opponents under 20 shots, they should keep winning way more than they lose.

As for my view on the playoffs right now......while, like many, I currently have a decent amount of confidence in their prospects versus the Rangers.......I still think they have a lot of trouble beating the bigger Islanders and Craps over the course of a 7-game series. But maybe I should wait another 3 weeks before spending too much time worrying about playoff match-ups.

In closing, how about the play of those WB/S kids ?? Those guys......especially Rust and Kuhnhackl.....are playing like legitimate NHL'ers. Even that shrimp Sheary is playing inspired. And if they can just get Bennett back to playing shape.......too bad they lost Scotty Wilson, who might have been playing better than the rest.

Meanwhile, the best current news out of Pittsburgh is that Dumoulin is day-to-day after that steamrolling he took from Ovechkin (which was essentially the only thing he did the entire game).

If you didn't hear about it, our ol' buddy Dave Perron is out of the Ducks lineup with a shoulder injury, and has been called "week-to-week" (indicating a reasonably serious injury).

Anyway, were you aware that in the 28 games he's played with Anaheim, he's been a friggin' point-a-game guy (8/20/28).....and the Ducks are 21-5-2 since the trade ?? Amazing.......I've talked about this in the past, but I wonder if he's actually playing his way into a new contract (which I don't believe they originally intended to do) in Anaheim.

Will be interesting to see what kind of deal he can earn, considering his expiring cap number is a not-insignificant $3.8 million. Maybe I'm wrong, but I find it hard to believe he earns an annual raise from that cap number. That said, would he sign a 2-3 year deal with a good team like the Ducks......assuming that's a good idea (given his track record)......for, say, $3.0-3.25 million/season ??

Of course, he's only 27 years old now (28 in May).....and would presumably be looking for at least a 4-5 year deal.

Well, the Pens are.....all of a sudden.....the talk of the NHL.

Even the NHLN morning guys.....who generally despise the Pens.....are gushing, and some are even aligning Sid (if guardedly) with the Hart. I happen to agree that Kane will likely still win the award fairly easily, if for no other reason than he still plays for the media's favorite team. However, I'm not sure it's altogether as open and shut a case as they want it to be. The Hawks have not been an especially good team in the second half, and Kane himself has cooled significantly since the New Year......while Sid has dominated the stat sheet since HCMJ got the job. In fact, Boomer Gordon has been saying if Sid is a Hart candidate, then shouldn't Johnson be in the Jack Adams discussion ??

Hell, even GMJR is getting some props from the media for the changes he instituted; if that's not a sign of the friggin' apocalypse, I don't know what it could be.

Well, the Pens remain the Pens......coming off that regrettably scheduled 3-day break, they dump a HUGE turd in the punch bowl.

My daughter came home for Spring Break last night, so I didn't really watch the game as closely as I'd typically expect. But after joining-in about halfway through the 1st period, I honestly don't think I saw them generate a single really good scoring opportunity the entire game. Worse, I think Flower could be blamed or all three Jersey goals, especially the 1st (which was putrid) and 3rd.....though Palmieri admittedly did rip the second.

Interesting stat; according to ESPN, Jersey was listed with zero giveaways......versus 8 for the Pens. Not sure I've ever noticed anything like that before. Oh, and I guess Beau Bennett wasn't the solution to much of anything in his whopping 5 1/2 minutes of play.

With back-to-backers coming up this weekend, I assume Murray will get the start tomorrow in Detroit with Flower (as is virtually always the case) starting the home game Sunday with the NYR. Let's hope Murray is ready to play a strong game, which I think they're really going to need.

Meanwhile, and I honestly hate to ask this.....but after that performance last night.....would it really shock you if we wake up Easter Monday morning lamenting a 3-game losing streak, along with the realization the playoffs have all of a sudden become an iffy proposition again ?? Of course, they're now closer to 8th place in the East than 2nd in the Metro, as the Rangers are all-of-a-sudden are 4 points ahead.....and the NYI can pass them for 3rd tonight with their game-in-hand.

Fortunately, the Isles have to play at Tampa; ironically, tonight is their own game-in-hand versus 1st place Florida, who is currently 2 points ahead of Tampa.

Well I guess I was rather fortunate in the end that we had a pretty big ice storm here all day yesterday, knocking my satellite out for the eve, nevermind the late evening extended power outage lol....by the sounds of it I may have felt ill if subjected to an effort like that.

As per your comments previous CM, the Pens were a hot topic on the radio up here this week too! With McLean thinking they will start Murray quite a bit down the stretch, and not just to rest MAF but to actually see what they have in the young fella when the pressure ratchets up approaching playoffs? Interesting...even the asshat Kypreos was praising their latest efforts 'This team is hard to play against, they bang and crash, create turnovers and capitalize'...NEVER thought I'd hear that from him!?!
But after last night perhaps he's changed his tune already.....man these next 2 are damned important, here's hoping they can get them both!

Anyone know what Kunitz might have been thinking 30 seconds in with that gift presented to him in front of the net?!? Cause I have nary a clue....baffling....

Well that was one heck of an inspired effort for a road game up and down the lineup imo...
The thing that really impresses me is the depth this team seems to have now...which is certainly helping with a couple major players out...
Kessel with 4 points, and Carl with a couple goals today? Perhaps Sully has found a combo here that really works, and even with Geno on the shelf...good stuff, and keep it up Phil! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
The plumbers, are frankly looking like more than just that to my eyes of late too...there is plenty of skill on that 3rd and even 4th line...even with the loss vs NJ the other day, I think this is looking like a team we can all feel has some swagger down down stretch here:smiley:....thoughts?

Hope Kunitz is cleared of any concussion related issues too...he has been pretty darn good of late and with Geno out we especially need him...

Bring on the Rangers!!!

Solid comeback yesterday against what sounds like an emotionally damaged Red Wings team who seem more worried about their playoff streak going down the tubes than playing the game.

The Pens were fortunately able to again take advantage of Mrazek's continuing mental block against their colors. However, I'm one of those who honestly thinks the Red Wings are just flat overrated; their best players (Datsyuk, Kronwall, Zetterberg) are simply going downhill faster than they're holding their own, their goaltending seems to have fallen clean off the face of the earth, and their key younger guys (like Nyquist and Tatar) are suffering badly from inflated expectations. Speaking of young Red Wings, did the great Dylan Larkin even show up at the rink yesterday ???

So, we're back where we were at a week ago with the NYR; just a shame they started a winning streak at the same time the Pens started (and happily just stopped) a losing streak. But the Pens should feel good going into NYC tonight even with the worsening injury situation (and let's keep our fingers crossed Dumoulin's injury serious). But at least the team has more depth on defense than a year ago, and they still have Pouliot in reserve if someone else gets knicked.

BTW t, I like your new Petes avatar......hope you decided simply to give the Newfi some time off now that the O playoffs are underway. BTW, is this North Bay a new name for Brampton.....if so, why did they change ?? Also, is NB considered a clear favorite in the series ???

I guess Fat Phil is officially PHAT Phil! What a weekend! Can he maintain this new found offensive prowess?
Isn't that somethin'?!? He actually looks engaged in the play (if still a bit gassed at end of shift), and hell...we'll take it. Some of his recent goals are downright marksman like!
Not sure if you guys have noticed or not but one thing that's caught my attention of late is how the 2nd and even 3rd line are chipping pucks in over that defenders stick (usually to the left side), in order to initiate a foot race...and nine times outta ten Hagelin and to an extent Rust are gonna win that race! Actually seems Sully is taking a page outta the Detroit playbook over the years...and it's working!
Let's hope they keep this rolling to stay above the WC spots and more importantly in the playoffs. ...

Yes I had noticed that. Funny how this team went from being perceived as slow and plodding to lightening fast with a few trades and call-ups. I think the energy level those players brought has really impacted the teams overall energy levels especially over the last 15 games minus the disaster against Jersey last week.

Many I wish GMJR hadn't waived Farnham. I love that kids game. I think it would fit better with this current roster than he did on October.

Solid comeback yesterday against what sounds like an emotionally damaged Red Wings team who seem more worried about their playoff streak going down the tubes than playing the game.

The Pens were fortunately able to again take advantage of Mrazek's continuing mental block against their colors. However, I'm one of those who honestly thinks the Red Wings are just flat overrated; their best players (Datsyuk, Kronwall, Zetterberg) are simply going downhill faster than they're holding their own, their goaltending seems to have fallen clean off the face of the earth, and their key younger guys (like Nyquist and Tatar) are suffering badly from inflated expectations. Speaking of young Red Wings, did the great Dylan Larkin even show up at the rink yesterday ???

So, we're back where we were at a week ago with the NYR; just a shame they started a winning streak at the same time the Pens started (and happily just stopped) a losing streak. But the Pens should feel good going into NYC tonight even with the worsening injury situation (and let's keep our fingers crossed Dumoulin's injury serious). But at least the team has more depth on defense than a year ago, and they still have Pouliot in reserve if someone else gets knicked.

BTW t, I like your new Petes avatar......hope you decided simply to give the Newfi some time off now that the O playoffs are underway. BTW, is this North Bay a new name for Brampton.....if so, why did they change ?? Also, is NB considered a clear favorite in the series ???
Lol...indeed I'll let that Petes avatar ride as long as they stay in the playoffs...in all honesty this has been such a streaky season eventually landing the 6th seed vs 3 North Bay, that I dont know what to expect? The Petes have ripped off 5 and 6 in a row at times and also regressed the other way. We came back in the road game yesterday afternoon to tie up the series 1 all, and now head home for Tues/Thursday night...working on getting tickets to that Thursday night tilt! Also our big gun Cornell just signed an entry level deal with the Sabres last week which is nice to hear...although I hope to see him stick around one more year, The Petes will need his touch for the net...

Yes this North Bay team is indeed the same franchise that was in Brampton up till last year. Being that Brampton is a bedroom community of Toronto they just didn't get the support of the locals. Toronto and the burbs have never had a team that really worked over the years ...and MANY have been attempted! I suppose the one exception would be those dirtbag Gens. Oshawa being a 'working class' (although I hate using terms like that sometimes as a descriptive arrgh) town, with the GM plant, nuclear plant etc located there, plus the obvious history....
Every hockey fan in the GTA supports the World Juniors religiously yet really has no idea where these players come from in terms of their club teams, it is a strange and well, downright bizarre dynamic imo. I suppose the inexplicable Leaf popularity, and to a lesser extent NHL popularity (plenty of Habs, B's, Cryers, Pens etc fans in this locale), also has a lot to do with it. I suppose one may be able to draw a correlation with the Steelers,Pens, and Bucs as compared to the paltry Panther attendance? But you would know better than I in that dept CM...
As a matter of fact Mississauga has an OHL club that is in the playoffs and I highly doubt they will survive much longer. They also play in a pretty nice barn that seats 5-6000.... get this for a Pa connection....the Hershey Centre lol...
I guess the mid to smaller sized communities (100-400 thou?) Really have a lock on successful OHL teams...North Bay lost their team years back 'The Centennial's', and they are a community not unlike The Soo/Sudbury? Built on mining and a bit of northern tourism. They are close to sellout all year 3200, and have sold out both playoff games but I do wonder how long it can last with a capacity like that....I would say 1000 more seats would be ideal...
Anyway I am rambling. ...
Link to the old North Bay team factoids...not sure the entire accuracy.
http://www.hockeydb.com/stte/north-bay-centennials-7153.html

Let's Go Petes and Lets Go Pens!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT