ADVERTISEMENT

Pens March

Then there was last night's OT, where Kessel played like the reincarnation of Mario Lemieux......was a pretty impressive 90 seconds, even though he had nothing to show for it. Keeping my fingers crossed that was the signal he's ready to rejoin the NHL for the rest of the season.

Reactions: torontoeers
No question the Craps and Blojax are playing games with SIGNIFICANTLY fuller personnel decks than the Pens these days. But even assuming the Pens get back most of their injured by the time the playoffs start, the one area (aside the ever-present size issue) for which they can't match either team.....Columbus especially.....is in goal.

I realize the same thing was true by the time they ran into the Craps a year ago. But the Pens came into that series with virtually a half-season's worth of momentum, whereas this team may begin the 2017 playoffs with virtually NONE. Plus they're going to have to beat Bob first, who I think is a better goaltender.....this season, at least......than Holtby (and a far different proposition than King Henrik was EVER going to be in 2016).

The 2016 playoffs were tough, but I think the 2017 playoffs are going to make that look like child's play.

Last edited:
Just read Josh Yohe's piece on DK which said Letang, Daley, Maatta, Hainsey, and Guentzel all were on the ice this morning....though none as part of the morning skate.

Guess that's SOME good news, though it doesn't sound like any are THAT close to returning. I said a week or two ago that I figured the team is hoping for Letang back the WEEK before the playoffs for some conditioning action; that might be true for all these guys.

Unfortunately, no word at all on Geno.....

Just read Josh Yohe's piece on DK which said Letang, Daley, Maatta, Hainsey, and Guentzel all were on the ice this morning....though none as part of the morning skate.

Guess that's SOME good news, though it doesn't sound like any are THAT close to returning. I said a week or two ago that I figured the team is hoping for Letang back the WEEK before the playoffs for some conditioning action; that might be true for all these guys.

Unfortunately, no word at all on Geno.....
Wow...when you look at it laid out with those names, I am honestly surprised they have managed to win at least more than lose over the last 15 or so...Pens looking fast tonight thus far..

The pittsburgh fans and media have been kind to PK. He has shown he can be or is an elite talent when his motor is running. But over his career, he just seems to coast for long stretches. I am sure you know all about that living in Toronto.
Just saw this one OM so forgive me...but yes they lauded him here his first few years as the savior and then threw him to the wolves, the fan base couldn't wait to be 'rid of him'....well let's face it, he was completely miscast as the team leader / savior by the idiot GM Burkie, Phil is a scorer and complement to the leader or leaders 100% imo. In fact the idiot did a similar stunt by naming Phaneuf the Captain sight unseen in town , when meanwhile he was infighting with Iginla (a true leader back in the day) ...the GMJR trade for PK although I was rather critical at the start , has worked out on the whole imo . Especially last year...not sure if you agree but imo he could have easily won Conn Smythe...

Just saw this one OM so forgive me...but yes they lauded him here his first few years as the savior and then threw him to the wolves, the fan base couldn't wait to be 'rid of him'....well let's face it, he was completely miscast as the team leader / savior by the idiot GM Burkie, Phil is a scorer and complement to the leader or leaders 100% imo. In fact the idiot did a similar stunt by naming Phaneuf the Captain sight unseen in town , when meanwhile he was infighting with Iginla (a true leader back in the day) ...the GMJR trade for PK although I was rather critical at the start , has worked out on the whole imo . Especially last year...not sure if you agree but imo he could have easily won Conn Smythe...

I agree he could have won the Smythe trophy. That is what is so maddening. The other night in OT he was possessed.....just fantastic in creating chances. We knew what he can and does produce when he is engaged. But when he isn't, he just takes up a seat on the bench.

I agree he could have won the Smythe trophy. That is what is so maddening. The other night in OT he was possessed.....just fantastic in creating chances. We knew what he can and does produce when he is engaged. But when he isn't, he just takes up a seat on the bench.

6 minutes into the 2nd period 81 has passed up 3 decent looks for high risk passes......none connected. Shoot the puck

Anyone think Kessel just might be dealing with some kind of non-serious, but nagging, UBI ?? Meanwhile, Sid hits Sundqvist wide open in the slot from behind the goal but OS can't cash it in. But at least he didn't didn't hit Mason in the middle of the flying P (but rather off the shoulder) as we so frequently see from Pens' shooters on plays like that.

I think the injuries have FINALLY caught up with this team in a fairly serious way. I mean, how many games can you be expected to win with Cameron Gaunce, Chad Ruhwedel, and David Warsofsky playing in the Top 6 (and with Mark Streit forced to play major minutes) ??

I think the injuries have FINALLY caught up with this team in a fairly serious way. I mean, how many games can you be expected to win with Cameron Gaunce, Chad Ruhwedel, and David Warsofsky playing in the Top 6 (and with Mark Streit forced to play major minutes) ??
Exactly...they are hurting to get these key guys back big time now...they lasted a while , even put together a nice streak but man....however I think I will also mention the fact that when goaltending has been NEEDED over the last few weeks? Both of our guys have been freakin NOWHERE...MIA! You would think they could steal one or 2 of these last few no?....NOPE!

Exactly...they are hurting to get these key guys back big time now...they lasted a while , even put together a nice streak but man....however I think I will also mention the fact that when goaltending has been NEEDED over the last few weeks? Both of our guys have been freakin NOWHERE...MIA! You would think they could steal one or 2 of these last few no?....NOPE!

Like I said earlier, no matter how many skaters the Pens get back in time for the playoffs, the one area where it's clear they don't measure up in the Metro is in goal. They have currently have nobody who can come close to beating Bob or Holtby right now in a 7-game series.

We all know Murray is the kind of guy who's doesn't let the pressure get to him when things are going well. But he's also getting the look of a player who can't step it up emotionally when things aren't going so well. Granted, he's still a youngster....but with a ring already sitting on his dresser (and a nice, shiny new contract ready to kick in next season), his expectations are justifiably raised. I do wonder if his confidence is down right now......understandable if so.....and he's got to figure out how to get it back. Granted, not so easy with a full 2/3 of his defense.....and 1/3 of their Top 9 forwards (plus Kessel playing like it).....injured

For that reason, Flower may end up being the marginally better choice going into the playoffs. But I myself don't want to have to rely on him because......considering how long he's been around.....he's looking more like a feast or famine guy these days than a steadying influence.

Like I said earlier, no matter how many skaters the Pens get back in time for the playoffs, the one area where it's clear they don't measure up in the Metro is in goal. They have currently have nobody who can come close to beating Bob or Holtby right now in a 7-game series.

We all know Murray is the kind of guy who's doesn't let the pressure get to him when things are going well. But he's also getting the look of a player who can't step it up emotionally when things aren't going so well. Granted, he's still a youngster....but with a ring already sitting on his dresser (and a nice, shiny new contract ready to kick in next season), his expectations are justifiably raised. I do wonder if his confidence is down right now......understandable if so.....and he's got to figure out how to get it back. Granted, not so easy with a full 2/3 of his defense.....and 1/3 of their Top 9 forwards (plus Kessel playing like it).....injured

For that reason, Flower may end up being the marginally better choice going into the playoffs. But I myself don't want to have to rely on him because......considering how long he's been around.....he's looking more like a feast or famine guy these days than a steadying influence.
CM do you see what I'm noticing of late with Murray ...just curious, but to me it's not so much the weakness upstairs I'm concerned with, I see him juggling the puck an awful lot! Could be that confidence factor you mention...if I am the opposition, the goal would have to be 'just get the puck on him' about now....he needs to get control of the disk far more consistently of late imo...

CM do you see what I'm noticing of late with Murray ...just curious, but to me it's not so much the weakness upstairs I'm concerned with, I see him juggling the puck an awful lot! Could be that confidence factor you mention...if I am the opposition, the goal would have to be 'just get the puck on him' about now....he needs to get control of the disk far more consistently of late imo...

The Pens beat has been very critical, though more so lately, this season regarding his glove hand.

As much as anything else, this is where I see him suffering a confidence problem; if you think you're weak somewhere, you're bound to look for ways to avoid the trouble spot. And the glove remains the single most effective way for a goaltender to control the game, which confirms your point about his inability to control the puck. And if a goaltender can't field his position.....like a shortstop......the opponent is going to score more than you'd like.

What's ironic is that I seem to recall him having made some pretty nice glove saves the past couple starts.....

Well, here we go again.......I'm in Detroit (Plymouth, to be exact) tonight; and in a hotel with friggin Direct TV, there's no NBCSN. So, the best I can do is Steigy and Errey on SXM.

Of course, I've done the Guins no good at all the last 3 games I've watched; so, perhaps all are better off that I'll be looking at my computer rather than the TV screen. Let's hope Flower comes up sharp against a Black Hawks team that currently isn't playing a whole lot better than the Pens.

Well, here we go again.......I'm in Detroit (Plymouth, to be exact) tonight; and in a hotel with friggin Direct TV, there's no NBCSN. So, the best I can do is Steigy and Errey on SXM.

Of course, I've done the Guins no good at all the last 3 games I've watched; so, perhaps all are better off that I'll be looking at my computer rather than the TV screen. Let's hope Flower comes up sharp against a Black Hawks team that currently isn't playing a whole lot better than the Pens.
Well I tell ya I can't fault Flower on that 1st one...bad angle seeing eye shot off his skate blade...

4-0! I'm out! I can't watch this!
I'm actually feeling bad for the fans that saw this one on the schedule, looking forward to it , paid up and get this big fat egg...injuries or not fellas you've had a few days off and are at home. Give those in the seats are bloody effort already....

Reactions: Euell

ALERT! COOL MAN...DO NOT TRY AND FIND AN NBCSN TV ANYWHERE IN MICHIGAN!!!!....You will instantly want to tear your eyes out....

Hainsey and Guentzel both expected to return tonight versus the NYR.

Perhaps not the two we MOST want to see back in the lineup, but it's relatively good news nevertheless. And Gawd knows this team needs a little good news right now. Speaking of the two we most want to see, DK is reporting today that Letang's injury is thought to be back-related. If so, it has to be an unusually severe one considering the time he's missed.

But right now, it sounds like he's still expected back for the playoffs. Of course, the Blojax will be running him every time he's on the ice in the 1st Round, so I'm not sure how long he'll last with an injury which probably can't be addressed with anything but rest. Meanwhile, I wonder to what extent his injury problems this season can be traced to the long 2016 Playoffs. Unfortunately, that's life for a key player on a good NHL team.

As for Geno, I've been hearing/reading he's being held out more for precautionary reasons than anything else, and that he'd be in the lineup if the playoffs were underway. Finally, Hornqvist is apparently thought to be playing hurt right now; but unlike Geno, he's gotta (I guess) recuperate between shifts rather than at home with his family.

Last edited:
Hainsey and Guentzel both expected to return tonight versus the NYR.

Perhaps not the two we MOST want to see back in the lineup, but it's relatively good news nevertheless. And Gawd knows this team needs a little good news right now. Speaking of the two we most want to see, DK is reporting today that Letang's injury is thought to be back-related. If so, it has to be an unusually severe one considering the time he's missed.

But right now, it sounds like he's still expected back for the playoffs. Of course, the Blojax will be running him every time he's on the ice in the 1st Round, so I'm not sure how long he'll last with an injury which probably can't be addressed with anything but rest. Meanwhile, I wonder to what extent his injury problems this season can be traced to the long 2016 Playoffs. Unfortunately, that's life for a key player on a good NHL team.

As for Geno, I've been hearing/reading he's being held out more for precautionary reasons than anything else, and that he'd be in the lineup if the playoffs were underway. Finally, Hornqvist is apparently thought to be playing hurt right now; but unlike Geno, he's gotta (I guess) recuperate between shifts rather than at home with his family.

It's too late to play for the 7th seed but I have no confidence a banged up Pens will survive Columbus. I honestly expect the Jackets to take head shots at Crosby and Letang since the NHL doesn't give a rat's arse about head shots as evidenced by the Wayne Simmonds elbow to Dumoulin that didn't draw a penalty or suspension considering his history.

It's too late to play for the 7th seed but I have no confidence a banged up Pens will survive Columbus. I honestly expect the Jackets to take head shots at Crosby and Letang since the NHL doesn't give a rat's arse about head shots as evidenced by the Wayne Simmonds elbow to Dumoulin that didn't draw a penalty or suspension considering his history.
I tend to agree with you OM1...and when a member of that goon squad maims a Pen, and it will happen, the league in its infinite wisdom will lower the punishment to something inconsequential and quite frankly pathetic. They are too predictable, the asinine excuse will be 'well its the playoffs and thus we feel the discipline is appropriate '....rather than...its the playoffs and each organization values their players more than anytime during the regular season thus the punishment should be severe!!! Drives me nuts , the league charade about crime and punishment....

Murray plays some of his best goal of the year in the OT.....including a whopper save against Pens killer Mike Grabner on a 3 on 0 Rangers breakaway. Then Kessel and Sid cash in consecutively against King Henrik......who played his best game versus the Pens in over a year.....and the Guins leave MSG with 2 points they desperately needed.

Now, can the Black Hawks hold off the Blojax and get the Pens back to within 1 point of 2nd place ??

ADVERTISEMENT