ADVERTISEMENT

Pens March

torontoeers

All-American
Nov 20, 2010
Port Perry Ontario
Vanek to Panthers...whew! Wanted no part of that stiff ! Good luck with him...and a perfect spot, so he can lie on the beach in his lazy chair and while away the rest of his career....
Hoping to see at least a minor tweak or 2 today but not holding my breath...

Well....I have to admit I do like the Streit deal for what it is. A 4th for a guy who is still a half decent skater, has experience and some smarts under an expiring contract works for me in terms of depth. Obviously the Fehr deal had to happen to make the room...but here's one for ya! Although it happened in a different manner, I messaged two Leaves goofball's (good friends no less), yesterday and said 'perhaps you guys could use Eric Fehr? Maybe you should pick him up, he's at a decent price point for you guys?' To wit...'Lol I'll pass' and 'Peddle your shit elsewhere!'....I retorted 'I will literally LMAO if he's on your squad tomorrow!'....I don't care how it happened or if it cost a 4th....LMFAO! [roll]

Marc-Andre Fleury will start tonight in Chicago. Let's Go Pens!
16998884_10155755688333765_7235921324560442210_n.jpg

"Per expansion draft rules....Vegas will be granted a 48 hour window prior to the draft to sign any pending free agent (RFA or UFA, one per team) that was left unprotected... That would leave Bishop exposed immediately."

I bet they take Fleury too...

Marc-Andre Fleury will start tonight in Chicago. Let's Go Pens!
16998884_10155755688333765_7235921324560442210_n.jpg

"Per expansion draft rules....Vegas will be granted a 48 hour window prior to the draft to sign any pending free agent (RFA or UFA, one per team) that was left unprotected... That would leave Bishop exposed immediately."

I bet they take Fleury too...
I believe but not certain that if both Murray and Fleury are on roster come June that the Pens must actually expose Murray for some reason...COOL MAN explained it to me awhile back and I can't remember the exact logistics as to why...long and short is Pens need to either pay McPhee (Vegas) to stay away from Flower or they must deal him...

Hainsey puts a Hawk firmly into the Pens bench. I'm lovin' it! I have been impressed with the little bit of him I have seen.

I am starting to just hate Carl Hagelin. That mother clucker doesn't even break a sweat any more. 1 goal since 1/1/17 No effort

I believe but not certain that if both Murray and Fleury are on roster come June that the Pens must actually expose Murray for some reason...COOL MAN explained it to me awhile back and I can't remember the exact logistics as to why...long and short is Pens need to either pay McPhee (Vegas) to stay away from Flower or they must deal him...

The afternoon guys on NHLN Radio were batting this Expansion Draft issue around yesterday, because a caller was claiming that.....because of his rookie (or some other kind of) status, the Pens should not have to expose Murray in the Draft. To the best of my knowledge, the issues at work with the Murray/Fleury situation are a follows:
  • Every team must protect one (1) goaltender
  • Any player with a No-Movement clause in his contract, by rule, must be protected
The key point in this discussion is the NMC supersedes any other condition pertaining to a player in the Draft; so, regardless of Murray's status.....which shouldn't require the Pens to protect him....Flower's contract (and NMC) forces him to be the Pens protected goaltender.

Hence, Murray must be exposed. Under the assumption an unprotected Murray will be taken by Vegas in the Draft.....and the Pens don't want to lose him.....the Pens have the following options:
  • Convince (or incentivize) Fleury to waive his no-movement clause, then trade him before the expansion Draft
  • Secure a compensation agreement of some type with Vegas/McPhee not to select an unprotected Murray
  • Buyout Fleury's contract, automatically leaving him unprotected (at which point Murray can be the team's single protected goaltender).

Reactions: torontoeers
An addendum to my previous post about the team's alternatives related to Flower; this morning's Pitt Post-Gazette reports that a buyout would result in the Pens enduring a cap hit of $1.9 million/season for the next 4 seasons.

The piece did not explain how that figure was calculated. Based on research I've done into this issue.....at his age.....an MAF buyout costs the Pens 2/3 of the remaining $11.5 million on his deal ($7.676 million) divided equally over twice the remaining contract term (2 years). Hence, the basic math; $7.676 million/4 seasons = $1.92 million per season for the next 4 seasons.

So, while the team rids itself of the contract, it still has to account for the value of the buyout amount on their cap (though they're permitted double the remaining term of the contract in order to do it). Said another way, buying out Flower costs the rough equivalent of an Eric Fehr for each the next 4 seasons. And we all know that represents a fairly noticeable negative for an at-the-cap team.

All of which illustrates to what extent the Pens are better advised to come up with some manner of agreement to get Flower to forego his NMC (and then trade him).....or else deal with Vegas to pass on Murray.....than go the buyout route. Meanwhile, one thing that's not been widely discussed; even if the team can eventually trade Flower, there's no guarantee their trading partner will agree to take his entire $5.75 million/season salary.

In other words, much like the Kessel deal with the Laffs, the Pens may have to maintain some of his contract dollars for the next 2 years to make a deal work. Given the comparative weakness of his hand, it won't surprise me if GMJR is forced to add an incentive.....like, say a #3 or #2 pick....for the other team to agree to take his entire salary. Otherwise, he's probably forced to make the deal with a poorer return than most of us would like.

GMJR's most favorable opportunity still appears to be Dallas.....with either Lehtonen or Niemi coming back.....as their current train wreck make it more likely they'll (to at least some extent) blow things up after the season. And the Stars would have the cap space to accept Flower's entire deal. The only question remaining is how does a player.....and just as importantly, his wife.....who's only know one organization as a pro feel about taking his French-Canadian family to Texas ??

Couple things for t approaching tonight's game with Tampa (and ISU).....

• What IS the story with Corrado ?? Is he one of those unfortunate players who got sideways with old fart St Mike (for whatever reason) and was NEVER going to dig his way out of the shit house.....OR is he one if those kids woefully overrated by Laffs Nation, and is destined to be career minor league (because he's got wheels but no talent) ??
  • Not that you (or anyone) asked, but I myself was always a Fehr fan. I appreciate he couldn't skate on the team the Pens became under HCMS; plus the fact most (including yours truly) could NEVER fully reconcile the fact he was a physical horse who played an almost totally non-physical game. But at center......which was/is CLEARLY his best position.....he struck me personally as a fairly effective player with decent hands and some nose for the net. And he was really a high quality guy; higher quality than a jackass like St Mike deserves.
Speaking only for myself.....and considering Fehr was some distance down the Pens food chain.....I myself will miss him. Meanwhile, I'll NEVER forget that Game 4 clincher he scored last summer in San Jose.

So is this another Letang concusion? These injuries just keep piling up

Not a single word from the team as to the kind of injury we're talking about.....which, as we all know, IS the way NHL teams publicly address injury specifics.....though it appears KL may be improving somewhat. However, HCMS reportedly said he's not ready to call him day-to-day yet.

Anyway, I don't think the notion it's concussion-related is too much of a reach. It's no secret the team has appealed to KL to change his game somewhat to avoid unnecessary contact; and it's equally common knowledge he's shown little willingness to do it anyway.

But he's too important to the team......and taking up too much cap space......to, IMO, play much less than 70 games a year. And as he ages further.......of course, he's been well beyond "kid" status for a number of years......his time lost to injury will almost certainly continue to rise.

I hate to say this, but....with an increasing concussion history.....KL is beginning to look like a guy headed toward a premature retirement (or. at least, a full time departure from the ice) in the not-too-terribly distant future. At this point in time, I think I'll be surprised if he's still playing anywhere near his 35th birthday.

Meanwhile, one favorable thing on the injury front is that Sheary is finally back in the lineup.......and he's certainly needed.

Well, I don't know who was worse; Murray.......Hagelin......or the entire Guins defense.

But, just another of the all-too-frequent examples of this team not coming out ready to play. As is seemingly the case in these kinds of games this season, the ONLY player from the top of the roster who's even remotely noticeable is Geno.

Got a bad break on the no-goal replay, but what are you gonna do. And always, a big goaltender (at least those not named Pekka Rinne) is giving them trouble.

Sabres with 21 shots in the 1st; if THAT'S not the dictionary definition of a Penguins team who'd rather be home watching golf, I don't know what it'd be.

Well, obviously a nice comeback.......but I admit I find it difficult to stomach these miserable 1st periods by a team that fancies itself a Cup contender. Regardless, it's damned lucky they got the 2 points to stay even with the Blow Jackets.

Meanwhile, I'm thinking (or maybe hoping) Flower earned himself the start in Winnipeg on Wednesday. I'm also hoping this game jolts the Pens a bit preparing for this Western Canada road trip, because the Blow Jackets have back to backs consecutively against the Devils and then the Sabres this week (which could easily result in a 4 game winning streak).

Well, obviously a nice comeback.......but I admit I find it difficult to stomach these miserable 1st periods by a team that fancies itself a Cup contender. Regardless, it's damned lucky they got the 2 points to stay even with the Blow Jackets.

Meanwhile, I'm thinking (or maybe hoping) Flower earned himself the start in Winnipeg on Wednesday. I'm also hoping this game jolts the Pens a bit preparing for this Western Canada road trip, because the Blow Jackets have back to backs consecutively against the Devils and then the Sabres this week (which could easily result in a 4 game winning streak).

I shut it off at 3-2 a few minutes into the third and missed the two late goals. Not sure why the Pens feel like they can give 50% effort when they play non-playoff teams. At least Geno and MAF actually cared when they got to the rink.

I'd keep MAF in goal and ride him while we can. Murray may be facing a little "dog days" blues or maybe even getting a little tired. I am not sure. What a year Schultz is having!!!

Gents...I have been away a bit...i had to let my Newf dog boy Lou go on Friday afternoon, it was pretty traumatic for his Mom and I...and the house will now be silent for awhile, he was as some of you know pretty much everything to us....and he would bark/carry on with me after every Pens goal or EERS TD....regardless by the sounds of it the 1st onslaught on Sunday sounded just awful and hangs on the D and MM? Eesh!!! This Western swing is a long one followed by another road match in Philly for good measure...I am simply hoping they survive it and garner a few points with the way things look over the last few weeks on the whole...

Gents...I have been away a bit...i had to let my Newf dog boy Lou go on Friday afternoon, it was pretty traumatic for his Mom and I...and the house will now be silent for awhile, he was as some of you know pretty much everything to us....and he would bark/carry on with me after every Pens goal or EERS TD....regardless by the sounds of it the 1st onslaught on Sunday sounded just awful and hangs on the D and MM? Eesh!!! This Western swing is a long one followed by another road match in Philly for good measure...I am simply hoping they survive it and garner a few points with the way things look over the last few weeks on the whole...

Sorry to hear about your dog. Always so tough. I wish my dogs would celebrate with me, but over their 8 and 11 years they have learned that when I get anxious to leave the room. Too many thrown hats, screamed f-bombs, and thrown remotes for their liking!

What are you thought for shooting for the 7th seed and finishing 4th in the Metro? I am not sure I understand the playoff format completely but wouldn't that put them with the Atlantic teams?

Sorry to hear about your dog. Always so tough. I wish my dogs would celebrate with me, but over their 8 and 11 years they have learned that when I get anxious to leave the room. Too many thrown hats, screamed f-bombs, and thrown remotes for their liking!

What are you thought for shooting for the 7th seed and finishing 4th in the Metro? I am not sure I understand the playoff format completely but wouldn't that put them with the Atlantic teams?
Lol...and thanks OM1...

Here is a breakdown of what it would look like if started today and if it went back to the old (far less confusing and fairer system imo) , I don't know bout you but I would like to take my chances with Ottawa in the first round rather than the Blow Jackets. Of course I suppose the current system worked in the Pens favour somewhat last year so perhaps I shouldn't complain.

They also address the scenario you propose of 4th in the Metro drawing the Habs...

The link keeps going to highlight video when I try and embed it...might have to copy/paste it...

Last edited:

Oh hell, t......we have cats who can go any damn time they damn well please, since we're so damned sick of all their damned demands and all their damned hair. Meanwhile, I know how Louie Rescue impacted you.....and like OM, I hope you'll accept my K-9 condolences. I even told my wife about Lou; she got a helluva kick out of that old graying smile he had in that pic you posted a couple weeks ago. Hoping you keep his pic as your avatar for awhile....

Meanwhile, Pens better find a way to win at least 4 (and probably 5) of 6 on this Western + Philly swing, or they're going to get left behind by the Blow Jackets after they finish off their next 4 games (double-header versus NJ and a double-header versus Buffalo). On the other hand, maybe they suck on the trip and end up solidly in 4th in 10 days......which does get them out of the Metro in the 1st Round, which I'd sure like to see (no matter how good Price happens to be playing for Montreal).

Rangers played Tampa last night (1-0 win in OT), then they're at Florida, at Carolina, at Detroit, then home to Tampa while the Pens are on their swing. As for the Pens, I'm hoping Sunday's comeback has jolted them a bit from the pseudo-malaise they've been in the past couple weeks. From what I can tell from an interview I heard today on NHLN Radio with their radio P-b-P guy, the Blow Jackets are happy to play either the Pens or the NYR in Round 1; while like most everyone else.....with the possible exception of the Pens.....they don't want any part of the Craps.

The only other thing that's common knowledge is the Craps are dying for the Blow Jackets, Rangers, or Canadiens to finish off the Pens in the 1st Round so they're not forced to play them. There's a lot of talk about how the Craps are the best team in the League.....and they are.....but the absolute same thing was true 365 days ago. Meanwhile, I'm taking a wait-and-see on what Shattenkirk does for them.

Oh hell, t......we have cats who can go any damn time they damn well please, since we're so damned sick of all their damned demands and all their damned hair. Meanwhile, I know how Louie Rescue impacted you.....and like OM, I hope you'll accept my K-9 condolences. I even told my wife about Lou; she got a helluva kick out of that old graying smile he had in that pic you posted a couple weeks ago. Hoping you keep his pic as your avatar for awhile....

Meanwhile, Pens better find a way to win at least 4 (and probably 5) of 6 on this Western + Philly swing, or they're going to get left behind by the Blow Jackets after they finish off their next 4 games (double-header versus NJ and a double-header versus Buffalo). On the other hand, maybe they suck on the trip and end up solidly in 4th in 10 days......which does get them out of the Metro in the 1st Round, which I'd sure like to see (no matter how good Price happens to be playing for Montreal).

Rangers played Tampa last night (1-0 win in OT), then they're at Florida, at Carolina, at Detroit, then home to Tampa while the Pens are on their swing. As for the Pens, I'm hoping Sunday's comeback has jolted them a bit from the pseudo-malaise they've been in the past couple weeks. From what I can tell from an interview I heard today on NHLN Radio with their radio P-b-P guy, the Blow Jackets are happy to play either the Pens or the NYR in Round 1; while like most everyone else.....with the possible exception of the Pens.....they don't want any part of the Craps.

The only other thing that's common knowledge is the Craps are dying for the Blow Jackets, Rangers, or Canadiens to finish off the Pens in the 1st Round so they're not forced to play them. There's a lot of talk about how the Craps are the best team in the League.....and they are.....but the absolute same thing was true 365 days ago. Meanwhile, I'm taking a wait-and-see on what Shattenkirk does for them.
Thanks much CM...And yes we have one of those blasted felines too (much to Lou's chagrin when he was here lol), and yes we will dive in again for another Newf rescue. Likely foster one again down the road, and then likely foster fail as we say /fall in love with it and adopt it for good! I will keep that WV doggo Avatar up for some time no worries...

As per the Pens...I am honestly scratching my head about what sort of post season draw I would ideally like to see. Off top of my head (considering even far fetched potentials) I'd prefer Ottawa or the Isles...yes far fetched. Beyond that each team brings it's own challenge and rather than a matchup I would honestly just like the team going in HOT...RED HOT, (as was largely the case last year), and let the chips fall where they may. If all cylinders are firing on this team ? Well as you say CM almost 365 days ago The Pens were hands down the best team in the league. I have a distinct feeling the biggest question will be between the pipes down the stretch...who is gonna grab the bull by the horns (are either of them definitively), and is the defacto backup going to be ready when called upon? I do think it is Murray's net currently but only by a whisker imo, MAF or MM's play in either direction could change that significantly.

My secret wish? The Leaves squeak in, and the Pens completely decimate them...but you knew that lol...

That young lady belting out the anthems was rather attractive!....Matt Murray only a few hours from home I imagine wants to have a good game tonight...keep this joint quiet! Let's go!!!

Nice little play Sheary! Almost! Good for Geno to take Wheeler on...GSUS...why is Cullen not taking the 2nd man there???...Bonino Bonino Bonino!!! Man am I editing this post a lot lol...

Last edited:
How many times Sid whacked and hacked by these lug heads tonight?...arrghh...damnit...Murray should have had the the puck before it became a problem on that 3rd goal...Weak.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT