ADVERTISEMENT

Pens March 2020

Ya...shit is hitting the fan for sure. Most here think it's a matter of a day or 2 till everything other than Grocers, pharma, and gas is shuttered. IMO, we arent seeing a Playoff this spring. Looking at Italy, now Spain etc is troubling. My employer is winding things down. There is very little work ...the major projects are now in need of materials that simply arent available (China). My clients downtown have essentially closed the buildings...this will be a rough go for many I am afraid. How long is the big question now I guess...
proposal number 2 when cleared to play which looks like sometime at the end of may. Take all the teams that are on the cusp and set up some type of elimination tourney to get down to 8. Maybe a 24 team tourney that plays a best out of 3 and find a way to widdle it down to 8 teams.

Ya...shit is hitting the fan for sure. Most here think it's a matter of a day or 2 till everything other than Grocers, pharma, and gas is shuttered. IMO, we arent seeing a Playoff this spring. Looking at Italy, now Spain etc is troubling. My employer is winding things down. There is very little work ...the major projects are now in need of materials that simply arent available (China). My clients downtown have essentially closed the buildings...this will be a rough go for many I am afraid. How long is the big question now I guess...

Not that my opinion matters, but I personally think 2019/20 is also cooked. Have the Blues send the Cup back to the HOF in mid-June......not sure if there's any reason to issue 19/20 Awards (I don't care about that either way)....and get the steam cleaners out so the arenas so are clean by September.

As for general business, I also agree this is a flaky time. I sell Service Parts, and that business should spike as our customers pull back on capital expenditures on new equipment until this all begins to quiet. But my business has been slow all of Q1 (our fiscal Q4) and things have gotten worse the past week.

And I cover the entire US; well, that was until we halted all but uber-essential travel the beginning of last week. I had to get a special approval last week simply to drive (not fly) to Chicago to see one of my biggest customers. I expect to be in the office the rest of the month, and probably won't re-evaluate until April rolls around. And I'm not sure we'll be moving by then.

Even today's Presdential Primary in Ohio was called off......meanwhile, the new normal proceeds. I see the NYSE has rallied 800 points today here at the lunch hour......sure hope it holds the rest of the day.

Reactions: torontoeers
Not that my opinion matters, but I personally think 2019/20 is also cooked. Have the Blues send the Cup back to the HOF in mid-June......not sure if there's any reason to issue 19/20 Awards (I don't care about that either way)....and get the steam cleaners out so the arenas so are clean by September.

As for general business, I also agree this is a flaky time. I sell Service Parts, and that business should spike as our customers pull back on capital expenditures on new equipment until this all begins to quiet. But my business has been slow all of Q1 (our fiscal Q4) and things have gotten worse the past week.

And I cover the entire US; well, that was until we halted all but uber-essential travel the beginning of last week. I had to get a special approval last week simply to drive (not fly) to Chicago to see one of my biggest customers. I expect to be in the office the rest of the month, and probably won't re-evaluate until April rolls around. And I'm not sure we'll be moving by then.

Even today's Presdential Primary in Ohio was called off......meanwhile, the new normal proceeds. I see the NYSE has rallied 800 points today here at the lunch hour......sure hope it holds the rest of the day.
Ya, I've been slow since January as well but enough to get by. Temp layoff papers coming today (first time on EI since trade school 25 years ago), it's odd...I am one that is proud of my work record over the years, so I feel a certain sense of shame in doing it, although I guess I shouldn't. I will still be able to go in when required in an emergency etc, and the company truck will still be in the driveway, which is comforting at least...
My wife is still working from home (Law Clerk) and for now the courts are still open ...Family Law so I suspect she'll go right through the spring which is good....hey , they'll be plenty of people divorcing with all the ramifications around it during this slowdown right? Her firm is set up far better than many in the competition to deal with this so they feel they will actually get more work.

How are all the rest of you holding up, work /health/ boredom wise, other than watching our collective retirements go up in smoke before our eyes....no more freedom 55 for this guy it seems...damn.

Ya, I've been slow since January as well but enough to get by. Temp layoff papers coming today (first time on EI since trade school 25 years ago), it's odd...I am one that is proud of my work record over the years, so I feel a certain sense of shame in doing it, although I guess I shouldn't. I will still be able to go in when required in an emergency etc, and the company truck will still be in the driveway, which is comforting at least...
My wife is still working from home (Law Clerk) and for now the courts are still open ...Family Law so I suspect she'll go right through the spring which is good....hey , they'll be plenty of people divorcing with all the ramifications around it during this slowdown right? Her firm is set up far better than many in the competition to deal with this so they feel they will actually get more work.

How are all the rest of you holding up, work /health/ boredom wise, other than watching our collective retirements go up in smoke before our eyes....no more freedom 55 for this guy it seems...damn.

Man, sorry to hear about the layoff.......about the only silver lining is that you'll presumably be back full time the first day the book begins to refill.

Meanwhile, you're absolutely entitled to take advantage of any unemployment benefits available to you, though I'm not sure how that works north of the border versus here in the States. Regardless, this is obviously no time for pride to get in the way of your entitlements (even though that's a 4-letter word these days).

Plus, while perhaps the SBA won't be fixing their scoreboard in the near term, it occurs you may be back in the saddle faster than you think; at least so long as commercial/industrial properties remain moderately operational.

Since my previous post, I just found our basement refrigerator/freezer is down......maybe for as long as 5-7 days (we only go into it occasionally). Unit is 25 years old, so it's about time to send it to the graveyard.

But I keep insulin in there, and am concerned my supplies have been compromised (and worse, I just received a full 3-month refill about 2 weeks ago). No easy to way to check that, since the insulin is contained in pens.

Guess I'll just be rolling the dice that it's still good......

Man, sorry to hear about the layoff.......about the only silver lining is that you'll presumably be back full time the first day the book begins to refill.

Meanwhile, you're absolutely entitled to take advantage of any unemployment benefits available to you, though I'm not sure how that works north of the border versus here in the States. Regardless, this is obviously no time for pride to get in the way of your entitlements (even though that's a 4-letter word these days).

Plus, while perhaps the SBA won't be fixing their scoreboard in the near term, it occurs you may be back in the saddle faster than you think; at least so long as commercial/industrial properties remain moderately operational.

Since my previous post, I just found our basement refrigerator/freezer is down......maybe for as long as 5-7 days (we only go into it occasionally). Unit is 25 years old, so it's about time to send it to the graveyard.

But I keep insulin in there, and am concerned my supplies have been compromised (and worse, I just received a full 3-month refill about 2 weeks ago). No easy to way to check that, since the insulin is contained in pens.

Guess I'll just be rolling the dice that it's still good......
Ugh! Fingers crossed for ya there...

Ours (Employment Insurance) is 55% of normal pay up until a point dollar value wise. Which in my case will certainly not be 55% but it's something. I'm really hoping for some warmer weather soon to complete some outside projects and keep busy, but likely not for a week or so. Two days and I'm already tired of playing husband homemaker...I planted some seeds for the spring planters on Sunday and thinking I might go watch them germinate over the next week or so. :wink:

Thanks for the positive thoughts. I know all of us hope this shit that's hit the fan is done sooner than later...

If only there was a hockey game....ya, first world problems lol...

.I planted some seeds for the spring planters on Sunday and thinking I might go watch them germinate over the next week or so. :wink:

Thanks for the positive thoughts. I know all of us hope this shit that's hit the fan is done sooner than later...

Speaking of planting seeds; our weather was winter-like over the weekend......but it's slowly warming up here, and temps tomorrow are supposed to reach 65F (18C) and then break 70F (22C) on Thursday.

Should see the tulips and daffodils pushing through quite a bit more here by the weekend.

Report: Some NHL players have idea for potential August postseason
Adam Gretz
NBC SportsMarch 17, 2020, 7:16 PM MDT

fe5578571901c6beaaae29cbd916e538

We still do not know when professional sports in North America will return, but a group of NHL players have reportedly come up with an idea for what the league could look like when it does in an effort to complete the 2019-20 season.

According to TSN’s Frank Seravalli, a group of NHL players has been privately brainstorming an idea — and at this point it is just an idea — that would see the Stanley Cup Playoffs start in August, with the Stanley Cup eventually being handed out in September.

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman has remained consistent in his desire to not only see the Stanley Cup awarded this season, but also in a way that makes it credible.

No idea is apparently off the table.

We already saw the potential 24-team solution that was floated, and now we have this idea floated by some players.

What exactly is “this” particular plan?

According to Seravalli’s report it would include the following timeline.

• A training camp in early July that would be followed by a truncated conclusion to the regular season.

• The Stanley Cup Playoffs would then begin in early August with the Stanley Cup being awarded in late September.

• The NHL draft and free agency would then take place in October during a transition period.

• That would then be followed by the 2020-21 season beginning in November with that season’s Stanley Cup being won in late June.
Basically, the NHL’s current hiatus would serve as a significant portion of their time off and offseason.

According to the report, many of the players that have seen the idea are in favor of it, while the league is said to be willing to consider any proposal.

There are a few things to keep in mind here. The most important being that the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic needs to be controlled before any of these plans can become a reality. Right now that timeline seems to be measured more in months (hopefully) than weeks. That certainly makes the August timeline perhaps a little more reasonable.

Somewhat related, and just to get a sense on potential timelines here, ESPN NBA reporter Adrian Wojnarowski Tweeted on Tuesday night that former ex-US surgeon general Vivek Murthy met with the NBA board of governors earlier in the day. While he was said to have delivered a “grim” message on the impact of the pandemic that was consistent with the one from health officials, he still reportedly left them with hope of the season and playoffs starting again before July. Assuming things go perfectly, the NHL would probably be on a similar timeline.

There are still a lot of logistical questions that would come with this plan, specifically the overwhelming lack of an offseason for teams that went deep in the postseason. For any team that reaches the Conference Finals or Stanley Cup Final, they would have only about one month off following a grueling two-month postseason before jumping back into another 82-game schedule (a condensed one, at that). That is a lot of games in a very short period of time.

At this point, though, it is just brainstorm from some players. One of many that we will probably see in the coming weeks. Hopefully we get an opportunity to put one of them to use.

—-
Adam Gretz is a writer for Pro Hockey Talk on NBC Sports. Drop him a line at phtblog@nbcsports.com or follow him on Twitter @AGretz.

Report: Some NHL players have idea for potential August postseason originally appeared on NBCSports.com

Sorry to hear this Toronto. They announced on the local news here in Denver that 7000 applied for unemployment in the state of Colorado which are numbers they haven't seen since the 2008 recession. Its gonna be a tough go for alot of Folks in the immediate Future. My biggest fear working in a Hospital is being exposed to this virus. I just hope that this thing will subside sooner rather than later.

Unnamed Senators player tests positive for coronavirus
Adam Gretz
NBC SportsMarch 17, 2020, 10:07 PM MDT

e64807aaa218254c7c699c8aaabffde0

The Ottawa Senators announced on Tuesday night that an unnamed player on the roster has tested positive for the COVID-19 virus.

It is the first confirmation of a positive test within the NHL since the coronavirus pandemic started to spread across the globe.

The NHL season was officially suspended five days ago. According to the team, the player is experiencing mild symptoms and is in isolation.

They are in the process of notifying anyone that came in contact with the player, while also telling all Senators players to remain isolated. According to the Athletic’s James Mirtle and Hailey Savian, it is believed “multiple players” on the team are currently experiencing symptoms.

Before the NHL season went on hiatus the Senators last three games were in San Jose, Los Angeles, and Anaheim during a west coast trip.

Their game against the Sharks came on March 7 and was one of three games played at the SAP Center after county officials urged the postponement of all public gatherings.

They also played at the Staples Center in Los Angeles during that road trip. The Staples Center was the last arena the Brooklyn Nets played in before the NBA season was suspended. Earlier on Tuesday it was announced by the Nets that four of their players, including Kevin Durant, also tested positive.

MORE:
Nearly every NHL team has announced plans to help part-time workers
NHL allowing players to go back home, isolate until end of March

—-
Adam Gretz is a writer for Pro Hockey Talk on NBC Sports. Drop him a line at phtblog@nbcsports.com or follow him on Twitter @AGretz.

Unnamed Senators player tests positive for coronavirus originally appeared on NBCSports.com

Ugh! Fingers crossed for ya there...

Ours (Employment Insurance) is 55% of normal pay up until a point dollar value wise. Which in my case will certainly not be 55% but it's something. I'm really hoping for some warmer weather soon to complete some outside projects and keep busy, but likely not for a week or so. Two days and I'm already tired of playing husband homemaker...I planted some seeds for the spring planters on Sunday and thinking I might go watch them germinate over the next week or so. :wink:

Now this I don't quite understand. I don't think this will stop the spread.

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/03/17/guns-ammunition-sales-spike-colorado-coronavirus/

Sorry to hear this Toronto. They announced on the local news here in Denver that 7000 applied for unemployment in the state of Colorado which are numbers they haven't seen since the 2008 recession. Its gonna be a tough go for alot of Folks in the immediate Future. My biggest fear working in a Hospital is being exposed to this virus. I just hope that this thing will subside sooner rather than later.
Stay safe ...I imagine a very uncomfortable place to be at the moment. Thanks to you and all that work in these facilities...your efforts are invaluable to keep things going in terms of care for those affected not only by a virus, but those who are suffering from other ailments etc. All workers in these facilities deserve to be treated with respect in times like these.

Reactions: ColoradoMountaineer
With nothing going on, how about my latest......well, it's my 2nd this far.....hockey bullshit question for the group:
  • If you had to make a decision today, would you commit to Murray or Jarry ??
  • And in follow up, how long of a commitment would you be willing to make to either player ??
Note I'm not asking about dollars, because I myself consider that more a function of the current market.....who else might available......plus obviously, a player's RFA/UFA status.....at the time of the formal signing.

As much as anything, the noises coming from the Murray camp (Octagon Worldwide) regarding his sincere interest in re-signing in PIttsburgh....and obviously, their target numbers......would represent major factors in how I'd proceed.

For me currently, however, I'd say Jarry......and probably on a 2-year (maybe 3, but I'm not sure) bridge deal, which he might be forced to sign this summer as an RFA.

With nothing going on, how about my latest......well, it's my 2nd this far.....hockey bullshit question for the group:
  • If you had to make a decision today, would you commit to Murray or Jarry ??
  • And in follow up, how long of a commitment would you be willing to make to either player ??
Note I'm not asking about dollars, because I myself consider that more a function of the current market.....who else might available......plus obviously, a player's RFA/UFA status.....at the time of the formal signing.

As much as anything, the noises coming from the Murray camp (Octagon Worldwide) regarding his sincere interest in re-signing in PIttsburgh....and obviously, their target numbers......would represent major factors in how I'd proceed.

For me currently, however, I'd say Jarry......and probably on a 2-year (maybe 3, but I'm not sure) bridge deal, which he might be forced to sign this summer as an RFA.
Hmmm...lots to chew on here between now and then but I'll give it a stab...
Keep in mind I am happy with both intermittently this season and also disappointed...

I am the one who thinks we can keep both with some creative work (there are a few other expiring deals or others to jettison) and IMO it is the prudent choice, based on results this year. Keep in mind the Pens at any time can trade one depending on whatever no movement clause is involved...

In saying this...Murr started out quite weak early on, Jarry took over and then tailed off...Murr over the last dozen or so to my eyes has looked the better keeper, by a slim margin. It may not be the popular choice, and his workload has not been huge over the last 4 years based on numerous factors BUT, I will take the Cup winner 2x if I had to, as he has proven he can take the pressure at that point no matter how long ago it was....another factor, if you extrapolate further, what is each worth in terms of a rights trade?
Yet another factor, who we got as backup? Next year Casey, after that? NOBODY, so you are making another pickup or trade....this all imo makes perfect sense to do what you can to sign both, and it really can be done. Murr has now indicated from what I hear he will take a hometown discount and not the ludicrous 8 mil request as start of season presented....welp, that's my take....as you will gents....

Per Vernon's directions, I don't cut and paste from subcription websites like DK and PHN (though I do regurgitate info gleaned from those sources pretty routinely). Anyway, I'm making an exception here to show a bit of PHN's reporting this morning on a theoretical re-start plan for the season for those of us without access to Insiders

According to the TSN Insiders, some momentum is gathering among players via message boards and private chats to restart the NHL season in July. As the coronavirus pandemic worsens in the United States and Canada, the early May resumption seems less and less likely, so players and the league are looking at all options to conclude the 2019-2020 season.

The players’ plan, which is far from an official proposal yet, would begin training camps in early July, with regular-season games to follow, and a September Stanley Cup Final, according to TSN reporter Frank Seravalli. Under the current discussion, the 2020 Draft and Free Agency period would be in October, and the 2020-21 season would begin in November.

Next season would be played on a condensed schedule. The league has heard the player’s discussions and is considering a form of the idea, according to Pierre LeBrun, who spoke with at least one NHL Governor. LeBrun also reported there currently isn’t a leading option, but a May restart date is unlikely because a single positive test for coronavirus would again shutter the NHL season.

From the TSN Insiders discussion, one idea which isn’t gaining traction is an expanded playoff format or short play-in series.

“The reason (the players) like (the July-September) idea is because it checks all of the boxes to them,” Seravalli said. “You can’t come back, and all of a sudden have a positive test within the playing group which would derail the situation. In addition, waiting longer allows you to play in front of full buildings. The players don’t want to play for a Stanley Cup that’s going to be awarded in front of an empty building.”

Most importantly, the full season conclusion would maximize revenue. TSN reporter Daren Dreger also mentioned Pittsburgh Penguins captain Sidney Crosby could become a leading voice in resumptive efforts.
Not exactly sure why Sid is believed to be this "leading voice" in this effort; but those folks obviously know more about this than I do. For the record, I've been busy this morning, and have not listened to NHLN Radio to hear to what extent they're batting this idea around.

Per Vernon's directions, I don't cut and paste from subcription websites like DK and PHN (though I do regurgitate info gleaned from those sources pretty routinely). Anyway, I'm making an exception here to show a bit of PHN's reporting this morning on a theoretical re-start plan for the season for those of us without access to Insiders

According to the TSN Insiders, some momentum is gathering among players via message boards and private chats to restart the NHL season in July. As the coronavirus pandemic worsens in the United States and Canada, the early May resumption seems less and less likely, so players and the league are looking at all options to conclude the 2019-2020 season.

The players’ plan, which is far from an official proposal yet, would begin training camps in early July, with regular-season games to follow, and a September Stanley Cup Final, according to TSN reporter Frank Seravalli. Under the current discussion, the 2020 Draft and Free Agency period would be in October, and the 2020-21 season would begin in November.

Next season would be played on a condensed schedule. The league has heard the player’s discussions and is considering a form of the idea, according to Pierre LeBrun, who spoke with at least one NHL Governor. LeBrun also reported there currently isn’t a leading option, but a May restart date is unlikely because a single positive test for coronavirus would again shutter the NHL season.

From the TSN Insiders discussion, one idea which isn’t gaining traction is an expanded playoff format or short play-in series.

“The reason (the players) like (the July-September) idea is because it checks all of the boxes to them,” Seravalli said. “You can’t come back, and all of a sudden have a positive test within the playing group which would derail the situation. In addition, waiting longer allows you to play in front of full buildings. The players don’t want to play for a Stanley Cup that’s going to be awarded in front of an empty building.”

Most importantly, the full season conclusion would maximize revenue. TSN reporter Daren Dreger also mentioned Pittsburgh Penguins captain Sidney Crosby could become a leading voice in resumptive efforts.
Not exactly sure why Sid is believed to be this "leading voice" in this effort; but those folks obviously know more about this than I do. For the record, I've been busy this morning, and have not listened to NHLN Radio to hear to what extent they're batting this idea around.
Sounds reasonable...however the more this thing seems to evolve day by day? I'm not sure the season isn't scrapped altogether.
One thing seems for certain...this salary cap will now contract rather than the previously predicted slight gains. If so are we gonna see compliance buyouts like we did after the last work stoppage? I would think so...who is the first on your chopping block? I think each team had an option to dump 2 players last time. I would think JJ is at the top of most Pens fans lists....who is next if they dropped 2 guys? Is it Horney? Not for me as he was playing well before the stoppage IMO. I've got a few in mind and will chew on it for a bit / see what you guys think....

Sounds reasonable...however the more this thing seems to evolve day by day? I'm not sure the season isn't scrapped altogether.
One thing seems for certain...this salary cap will now contract rather than the previously predicted slight gains. If so are we gonna see compliance buyouts like we did after the last work stoppage? I would think so...who is the first on your chopping block? I think each team had an option to dump 2 players last time. I would think JJ is at the top of most Pens fans lists....who is next if they dropped 2 guys? Is it Horney? Not for me as he was playing well before the stoppage IMO. I've got a few in mind and will chew on it for a bit / see what you guys think....

Haven't given much thought to compliance buyouts......we also don't know what will happen to the Cap. This obviously isn't a "work stoppage" in the traditional sense; and frankly, I haven't listened to NHLN Radio all week, so I don't know if (from their standpoint) this is being comtemplated.

But assuming it is, its pretty easy to point at JJ (especially)_ and Horndog as possibilities, though you have to think Tricky Nicky would also be a possibility (even though he's on his last year). Meanwhile, I'm wondering if Sheary will get an extension offer ?? Probably depends on what Sid wants since I think they're buds (and is presumably the reason JR brought him back in the first place).

Regardless if he ends up back in Pittsburgh.....or elsewhere......I myself think he'll be hard pressed to duplicate his expiring contract.

Couple updates from PHN today on Guins prospects:

Poulin (32/25/77/+45 in 46 games) -- Believed to have a shot at making the team next season as a RW (even though he's a LH shot) because he's not going to beat out Jake and Zucker on the left side. Supposedly left camp last Fall having made an impression with his defensive game; Kingerski says that's essential to make the League.

Lagare (35/36/71 in 61 games for a lousy team) -- Sounds like he's not there yet, needing work on his skating and overall game. However, he's described as a "shoot first, ask questions later" kind of a forward. Sounds to me as though he'll start the season......if not play all year......at WB/S.

O'Conner -- Thought to be a 3rd/4th round level pick; Kingerski says he currently "isn't consistent or hard to play against".....problems he says are common with many young players. Believed to be at least a couple years away.

Hockey equipment company Bauer stepping up to help health officials fighting COVID-19

Justin Cuthbert

Yahoo Sports CanadaMarch 25, 2020, 9:19 AM MDT

caebf090-6ea9-11ea-bfeb-871d3144b62b

DETROIT, MI - FEBRUARY 25: The Bauer skates of Cody Goloubef #26 of the Detroit Red Wings during warm-ups prior to an NHL game against the New Jersey Devils at Little Caesars Arena on February 25, 2020 in Detroit, Michigan. The Devils defeated the Wings 4-1. (Photo by Dave Reginek/NHLI via Getty Images)

One of the top hockey equipment manufacturers is ready to do its part to assist health care workers working tirelessly to slow the spread of the coronavirus.

Bauer, makers of sticks, skates and all other sorts of equipment used by professionals to minor hockey tykes, recently contacted the Quebec government and offered plans to mass produce visors that health care officials can use to better protect themselves while treating patients during the COVID-19 pandemic.

“We are awaiting their authorization and will be ready to launch our production as soon as we have received the green light,” Bauer’s vice president of product innovation, Dan Bourgeois, told Francois Gagnon of RDS on Tuesday.

“We could deliver our first visors as early as next week.”

Eager to do their part at Bauer, Bourgeois said that factory managers worked with research and development staff to come up with the most logical method to help fight against the pandemic, and that manufacturing visors was the most suitable course of action.

Goalie Gear Nerd@GoalieGearNerd

https://twitter.com/GoalieGearNerd/status/1242819301201108992

Cool Story: per @RDS, @bauerhockey has offered to start making facial protection for COVID-19 doctors and nurses. Bauer has said they could produce 10,000 masks per week and can start shipping as easily as next week.

8:23 AM - Mar 25, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy

174 people are talking about this

Initial prototypes have been tested for safety and comfort. Bauer intends to only cover the production costs by selling each visor for $6 a piece, and says it can meet production requirement with only 15 employees working at the factory, as to adhere to social distancing requirements.

Gagnon reports that the Montreal City Police Service has already reached out to Bauer with interest in placing a 50,000-piece order on protective visors once production is green-lit.

When the NHL could realistically finish 2019-20 season after latest developments
Charlie Roumeliotis
NBC Sports ChicagoMarch 25, 2020, 5:51 PM MDT

It's not surprising, but the NHL officially postponed the Scouting Combine, NHL Awards show and 2020 NHL Draft that was originally scheduled for June 1-6, June 18 and June 26-27, respectively. Many questions still remain, but the latest development provides a little more clarity on a timeline.

For one, by pushing back the three major events, the league has acknowledged that it's not ready to punt on the 2019-20 campaign just yet. It's still hopeful that the Stanley Cup will be awarded in some capacity, even if it's forced to adjust its playoff format.

Which leads us to our next question: When could the NHL realistically finish the season?

Here's what we can piece together:

- On March 16, the NHL and NHLPA were targeting the possibility of opening a mini training camp period roughly 45 days into the 60-day period recommended by the CDC. That would have meant a return around mid-May at the earliest.

- The NHL was originally looking to squeeze in the remainder of the season by July 24 - the beginning of the Summer Olympics in Tokyo - because it would have interfered with NBC's television schedule. That's no longer the case after the IOC announced it has postponed the Olympics, likely until 2021.

- In the latest general managers conference call on Tuesday, the NHL reportedly asked teams to submit their building availabilities through the month of August.

The situation is fluid, but at this point, it doesn't make sense to start up the season as soon as possible only to shut back down again. Which brings us to a proposal that was internally discussed eight days ago, according to TSN, but has now emerged as perhaps the most likely scenario.

In summary:

- A mini training camp in early July

- A finish to the regular season in late July

- Playoffs in August and September

- NHL Draft and free agency in October

- Beginning of the 2020-21 season in November, which would probably include a shortened preseason, no NHL All-Star weekend and the elimination of bye weeks in order to salvage an 82-game season.

This would allow players to treat the current hiatus as their extended offseason while also giving them another couple months after the playoffs conclude to rest and recharge before kicking things back up again.

It's not perfect, but this sure does feel like the most logical solution. And quite frankly, there aren't many alternative options.

Attention Dish and Sling customers! You have lost your Blackhawks games on NBC Sports Chicago. To switch providers, visit mysportschicago.com.

Click here to download the new MyTeams App by NBC Sports! Receive comprehensive coverage of your teams and stream the Blackhawks easily on your device.

When the NHL could realistically finish 2019-20 season after latest developments originally appeared on NBC Sports Chicago

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT