ADVERTISEMENT

Pens -- JAN 2017

Watching the Wednesday Night Hockey broadcast on Center Ice for (I think) THE first time; and (thus far) I like this Paul Romanuk doing P-b-P. Unfortunately, I see (on Wikipedia) he's got a connection to Oshawa......which I know, t, automatically makes him a bad guy.

Speaking of the Gens, I was watching SN's between periods coverage which included a feature on the 2003 Draft. Was surprised to learn that Nathan Horton......who I myself never thought of as a particularly dirty player (well, at least after he left Boston).....was an Oshawa kid. What kind of reputation did he have during his days in the O ???

Convincing 4-1 win tonight. Montreal admittedly isn't playing that well right now; but you beat China Doll 4 times.....while getting only a single point from Sid, Geno, and Kessel.....and you've got the formula for a feel-good win.

Club was looking to improve defensively, and they respond by allowing only 21 SOG. I also thought Fehr had pretty solid game; I was completely unaware that Cullen suffered a broken foot in the Craps game, and Fehr responded with a goal and some nice puck possession.

Tonight leads me to believe that Fehr's ineffectiveness this season may be more about playing out of position than anything else. And Horny comes out and plays his second consecutive excellent game.

Wow! Ballsy move by Murray there (actually happy to see him in...back into the fire after 7 is a good move imo)....and the quick strike! There's your boy Cole from the other night CM...I like what I have seen thus far (exception Kessel needs to have the jets to get past Petry there) tonight!

Is this a point at which PK gets /is getting a bit tired? We need ya 81...this team needs to win their share down the stretch!

Off to bed :joy:...hooking up a generator tomorrow at 3 am...good grief! Gimmie your thoughts in the AM fellas!

AND EXCEPTION that last 2-3 mins of the period...yikes! Let's Go Pens...clear the disk!!!
Watching the Wednesday Night Hockey broadcast on Center Ice for (I think) THE first time; and (thus far) I like this Paul Romanuk doing P-b-P. Unfortunately, I see (on Wikipedia) he's got a connection to Oshawa......which I know, t, automatically makes him a bad guy.

Speaking of the Gens, I was watching SN's between periods coverage which included a feature on the 2003 Draft. Was surprised to learn that Nathan Horton......who I myself never thought of as a particularly dirty player (well, at least after he left Boston).....was an Oshawa kid. What kind of reputation did he have during his days in the O ???
Believe it or not that was a bit of a throwback for me CM...I have not heard Romanuk on the air in some time other than in an intermission booth very occasionally? He does have deep ties to the O and to those blasted dirtbag Gens (3 points behind em as of tonight), and I actually like you seem to, quite like his take...he is almost over complementary to both teams when he is broadcasting. My recollection over the last few decades is him doing World Championships in April/May overseas, the odd WJHC game and even Spengler Cup games...sometimes I just wanna watch and hear some interesting stats along the way...not be inundated with over the top bravado. I (like you) tune in for the game itself and it's nuances brought to light...nonetheless 4-1? Yep...I will take that for now...I was a happy fella at 3 am this morning lol....

Reactions: COOL MAN
With the Inauguration hype now thankfully in the rear view mirror......except, of course, for twitterguy (who's probaby running naked up and down I-75 in SE Michigan right now).....we can get back to important things; Pens at Canes tonight.

Nobody.....not even the top of the League.....can just pencil-in a win against Ronnie Francis' team (especially in Raleigh, where they're 15-4-4 this season) anymore. Doesn't mean the Pens can't (or shouldn't) win tonight; but with the Canes solidly in the wild-card Playoff race, nobody can count on them rolling over anytime soon.

Not surprisingly, Murray getting the start tonight..

Reactions: torontoeers
With the Inauguration hype now thankfully in the rear view mirror......except, of course, for twitterguy (who's probaby running naked up and down I-75 in SE Michigan right now).....we can get back to important things; Pens at Canes tonight.

Nobody.....not even the top of the League.....can just pencil-in a win against Ronnie Francis' team (especially in Raleigh, where they're 15-4-4 this season) anymore. Doesn't mean the Pens can't (or shouldn't) win tonight; but with the Canes solidly in the wild-card Playoff race, nobody can count on them rolling over anytime soon.

Not surprisingly, Murray getting the start tonight..
LMFAO! That opening salvo had me in stitches...seriously! [roll]....well done.

Solid D presence in Carolina now imo...Pens will have to work for what they get...I look for a bit of jam from Horny and Kunitz tonight to help make that happen...also need that outlet pass to happen on the double quick...they will forecheck hard.

Isn't this the game OM1 was thinking of heading to? From what i remember it was his old stomping grounds with RBC ....Or perhaps it was the game later in the season...
Let's Go Pens! Turn this into a nice streak!

I am on the fence with this no goal call...Did Horny interfere? Yes...did it affect Ward? I doubt it...did Stempniak force him into the post knowing they were in trouble? Yes!
Oh well...this is what we wanna see out of Horny!

That Daley goal was a friggin missile, though the rest have resulted from sheer hard work. And thus far, Murray looks VERY sharp tonight; maybe as good as he's looked thus far ALL season. Hope he's finally finding his game, because I'm getting to the point recently where I'm not all that anxious to see Flower in goal.

I'm happy enough with 4-0 with time left in the 2nd ;) though I think this Canes PP is a gift.

Good to see Kessel finally get off the snide; that was a VERY impressive goal when you consider the length of that DEAD FLAT setup pass from Geno and the angle of the shot. That was really as good a one timer as you'll typically see. Plus the puck has been consistently hopping off PK's blade since they returned from vacation (including earlier in the game tonight).

Meanwhile, I can't remember the last time anyone got an unsportsmanlike minor simply for bitching at the stripes. Thanks, Jeff.....

Good to see Kessel finally get off the snide; that was a VERY impressive goal when you consider the length of that DEAD FLAT setup pass from Geno and the angle of the shot. That was really as good a one timer as you'll typically see. Plus the puck has been consistently hopping off PK's blade since they returned from vacation (including earlier in the game tonight).

Meanwhile, I can't remember the last time anyone got an unsportsmanlike minor simply for bitching at the stripes. Thanks, Jeff.....
PK does seem to find the twine now and again from that tight position doesn't he....marksman on that one for certain!

I hope this was the game OM1 was debating on...and went!

Hey t, how's the pup doing ?? Hope he's looking forward to the weekend as much as the rest of us.....

BTW, I thought the no-goal call was fair; not because of the goal being off the tips, but because I thought Horny DID get his stick into Ward and pulled him slightly out of position.

Or not...... :D

Hey t, how's the pup doing ?? Hope he's looking forward to the weekend as much as the rest of us.....

BTW, I thought the no-goal call was fair; not because of the goal being off the tips, but because I thought Horny DID get his stick into Ward and pulled him slightly out of position.

Or not...... :D
Lol...agreed...I tried to eliminate my homerism from the call...a bit of Keystone cops out there for a bit but they did get it right. I often wonder if the call goes differently depending on who's barn it's in but I have to say 99% of the time the league gets it right, and that's all I can ask.

Lou bear the pup has been back home for this his second night now, and he is sleepy for the most part (a good thing), but that tail just continues to wag lol. He is the ultimate trooper. Been through a lot, him and us since his /our rescue 3 years ago, beaten cancer lord knows how many times, two bites at the hands of other dogs , one with a half ear amputation lol ( you need to stop being too friendly Lou)including this latest 3 month journey hopefully back to health. The lovely wife and I often say, if he can make it all the way here through everything? Well we could certainly learn a lesson or 2 from him...and thanks for asking btw.

Ya know what Ward? Quit punching and yipping! Horny saw you didn't have it covered and went in for the kill...what was he a half second late? Pile it on I say...not that it hasn't been already...

PK does seem to find the twine now and again from that tight position doesn't he....marksman on that one for certain!

I hope this was the game OM1 was debating on...and went!

I went! Even with the offensive barrage and the amazing spinning pass from Crosby right in front of me, I still can't get over the lack of effort by Sid on the shortie the Canes scored. From my seat right above the tunnel, you could see Fehr ( I think) struggling to control the puck and fend off the Cane. Sid at the other point never moved until to Cane player was off to the races. I felt bad because Murray earned the shutout and a lot of credit for standing tall the first 6-7 minutes. I hated to see him lose it because player didn't come back. Oh well.

I was sitting next to a couple who were Hartford Whaler season ticket holders from 77 until the move to Carolina. They retired to raleigh several years ago and are again season ticket holders for the franchise. Pretty cool.

This is the first game I have attended with Sullivan as HC. I was just blown away by the speed of the Pens in person. Now that Sheary stays on his feet most of the time, he is impressive. Dude flies around.

I had a great angle on the Horny goal that was waived off. I thought from the get go the net was off. Watching the big screen, I thought they might allow it. Oh well. Glad it didn't matter. But from that point on Ward was slashing Horny and punching him every time he came near the crease. Never saw Ward that pissed. Obviously Horny was in his head!

I went! Even with the offensive barrage and the amazing spinning pass from Crosby right in front of me, I still can't get over the lack of effort by Sid on the shortie the Canes scored. From my seat right above the tunnel, you could see Fehr ( I think) struggling to control the puck and fend off the Cane. Sid at the other point never moved until to Cane player was off to the races. I felt bad because Murray earned the shutout and a lot of credit for standing tall the first 6-7 minutes. I hated to see him lose it because player didn't come back. Oh well.

I was sitting next to a couple who were Hartford Whaler season ticket holders from 77 until the move to Carolina. They retired to raleigh several years ago and are again season ticket holders for the franchise. Pretty cool.

This is the first game I have attended with Sullivan as HC. I was just blown away by the speed of the Pens in person. Now that Sheary stays on his feet most of the time, he is impressive. Dude flies around.

I had a great angle on the Horny goal that was waived off. I thought from the get go the net was off. Watching the big screen, I thought they might allow it. Oh well. Glad it didn't matter. But from that point on Ward was slashing Horny and punching him every time he came near the crease. Never saw Ward that pissed. Obviously Horny was in his head!
Amazing!!! Exactly what I was hoping for with Horny all over them in their barn. Happy you got to see it...what from my TV screen said....(obviously not the same as live) but I sense a lot of Canes fans went home unhappy for a change with their current home record! Also ...the lovely wife commented on how many Pens sweaters she saw in the concourse intermission shots. I said are you surprised? We travel well...we know this lol...you are never far away from friendly black and gold no matter what rink you are in! Happy to see PK wire that one through the eye of a needle , and for the team on a solid collective effort....must be nice to strut around the old haunt with a bit of spring in the step post game! Let's hope they keep this up!

Amazing!!! Exactly what I was hoping for with Horny all over them in their barn. Happy you got to see it...what from my TV screen said....(obviously not the same as live) but I sense a lot of Canes fans went home unhappy for a change with their current home record! Also ...the lovely wife commented on how many Pens sweaters she saw in the concourse intermission shots. I said are you surprised? We travel well...we know this lol...you are never far away from friendly black and gold no matter what rink you are in! Happy to see PK wire that one through the eye of a needle , and for the team on a solid collective effort....must be nice to strut around the old haunt with a bit of spring in the step post game! Let's hope they keep this up!

With a few minutes left, a very loud here we go Steelers chant broke out. That was cool. Probably 60-40 canes to pens fans.

With a few minutes left, a very loud here we go Steelers chant broke out. That was cool. Probably 60-40 canes to pens fans.

That WAS pretty cool.....couldn't help wondering how I'd personally feel about that if I were a Canes fan sitting there watching my team in my own building. Meanwhile, a couple morning tidbits from the Pens website:

I didn't hear this specifically (though I know he was interviewed), but when Geno was questioned by media after the loss in Detroit, he reportedly responded by saying they'd win 3 straight.......which they've now done. It's getting to the point where Geno is where the media heads to get the true pulse of the team; and he's clearly got NO trouble making public commitments.

Conor Sheary (with 15 goals already) is now almost a sure pop to score 20 this season. Granted he's playing on a wing with the best in the business, but the kid is definitely making it work. In some regard, he could be turning into the team's "next" Chris Kunitz......who, incidentally, really HAS been a strong attribute for the 4th line.

Last edited:
That WAS pretty cool.....couldn't help wondering how I'd personally feel about that if I were a Canes fan sitting there watching my team in my own building. Meanwhile, a couple morning tidbits from the Pens website:

I didn't hear this specifically (though I know he was interviewed), but when Geno was questioned by media after the loss in Detroit, he reportedly responded by saying they'd win 3 straight.......which they've now done. It's getting to the point where Geno is where the media heads to get the true pulse of the team; and he's clearly got NO trouble making public commitments.

Conor Sheary (with 15 goals already) is now almost a sure pop to score 20 this season. Granted he's playing on a wing with the best in the business, but the kid is definitely making it work. In some regard, he could be turning into the team's "next" Chris Kunitz......who, incidentally, really HAS been a strong attribute for the 4th line.

Carolina is supposed to be one the faster teams in the league. Not close. I was about 25 feet from the ice and was just blown away by the speed of the pens even without Letang. Sheary is sooo fast. After the first 6 minutes, the pens won nearly every race except for the shortie by the canes where Sid watched.

I was cursing Kessel for not shooting so it was nice to see him get one. Dude has to get a little more greedy. Hagelin was solid last night. He seems to be coming on.

Great pass by Sid onto Rusty's blade, who released like a fairly legitimate goalscorer. Nice way to break the B's momentum coming out of the break.

Chinese fire drill around the B's net, and Sheary cashes in; his 8th in the last 9 games......2-0 good guys

Pens kill off a B's PP thanks to Murray's super sharpness.....B's are having trouble scoring recently, but it took two of MM's better saves in a single sequence all season.

Rask has left the ice at the 8:00 minute mark of the 2nd....Steigy and Errey think he might not be feeling well.

And all of a sudden, Krejci just blows one thru Murray, and the B's are back in the game right after the change in goal.

Bruins carrying the play, but the Pens hold the fort at 2-1 going to the locker room.

CM, please tell me about Gaunce. First time I've seen him.

Don't know much about him, Euell, aside the fact he was originally a high (#2) pick of the Avalanche. I also know he was traded to Dallas, and didn't do enough with defense-weak Stars organization to be kept. But he's had points in his first two games since his call-up earlier this week. I assume he signed with the Pens as a FA.

Meanwhile, Sid has had an up-and-down game; great pass on
the Rust goal, and he seems to be skating fairly well...... but several giveaways leading to B's chances. Kessel has been a complete and total no-show thus far, and Geno appears more interested in the Steelers than hockey today.

Reactions: Euell
They got one.....maybe 2......SOG with the scrub in the cage. Now, they begin carrying the play again, and TWO goals in 3 minutes.

ADVERTISEMENT