ADVERTISEMENT

Pens -- JAN 2017

DK's Josh Yohe reporting that while Tanger walked to the bus with a limp after the game last night, he was NOT on crutches. Not sure exactly what that means, but perhaps he's not injured QUITE as badly as we might have thought at the time.

Maybe we keep our respective fingers crossed for some encouraging news by the time HCMS talks to the Press in the morning ?? Meanwhile, after waxing the Cryers 5-0 today in the last of a 3-game home stand, the Craps come to Pittsburgh on a 10 game winning streak......including their last 4 games by an impressive combined score of 20-3.

Last edited:
Granted, last night WAS their 4th game in 6 days......but after a week on the beach (and we still haven't reached the ASG yet), I myself am less inclined to give them the "dog days" benefit of the doubt quite yet.

I've been complaining most of the week about Sid's almost complete and total no-show since his vacation, and Kessel frankly hasn't been much better. But far worse, it appears as though they're going to have to deal with another extended stretch without Tanger. And I'm concerned that Schultzie's nice run may finally have come crashing to earth; he didn't just have an off night, he flat stunk last night.

Of course, the Craps have crept their way back toward the top of the finally slumping Metro; Pens could easily find themselves solidly in 4th by midweek. About the ONLY positive thing right now is there's still almost a full half-season left to turn things back around. And I agree with the comment Scott Gomez made on NHLN last night when he said the President's Trophy probably has littple meaning to them.

But no matter what happens tomorrow night when the Craps come to town.....and I admit I'm not very confident...... I myself feel as though they need to OFFICIALLY recognize they have a problem beating anyone (let alone teams like Washington or Columbus) on the road. Not sure what specific direction he'll be looking, but there's little doubt in my mind that GMJR will REALLY be engaging in the trade market this week.
I am not optimistic about tonight's game given the way the two teams are currently playing, but it is an opportunity for a huge win if they can somehow find a way to pull it off.

Reactions: COOL MAN
I am not optimistic about tonight's game given the way the two teams are currently playing, but it is an opportunity for a huge win if they can somehow find a way to pull it off.

No question tonight IS a huge opportunity, though less than full strength is hardly the best way to come into a game where the opponent currently has the formula not only to beat you, but to rip you. It would probably help if Murray decided to play tonight like he did versus the Craps in the playoffs last season (oh, and if Sid and Kessel finally decided to end THEIR vacations).

Speaking of less than full strength, Pens put Tanger on IR this morning; meaning he's out a minimum 7 days. They also recalled Chad Ruhwedel and Jake GUENTZEL.

Last edited:
Will definitely need whomever is in the cage to stand tall! Hopefully the O has a sudden breakout although I won't hold my breath!
Off to the Kings of Leon show tonight at the ACC so won't be tuned in come the 2nd on...although if the effort is what we've come to expect over the last 3, I won't be missing anything special...Let's Go Pens...right the ship NOW!

Reactions: COOL MAN
Will definitely need whomever is in the cage to stand tall! Hopefully the O has a sudden breakout although I won't hold my breath!
Off to the Kings of Leon show tonight at the ACC so won't be tuned in come the 2nd on...although if the effort is what we've come to expect over the last 3, I won't be missing anything special...Let's Go Pens...right the ship NOW!

Have fun with the KoL tonight......meanwhile, I don't get the impression (perhaps mistakenly) that you've been able to watch the Pens too much the past week. If I'm right about that, maybe YOU'RE the source of the Pens' current problems, t..... :wink:

Reactions: torontoeers
Lol! You're correct sir...after tonight hopefully I can tune in on a more regular basis...and if this helps, I promise not to miss a game down the stretch. Although torontoeers in person at PPG is ...well...still a liability if we like the W! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Speaking of which...Euell and I are thinking of seeing a game together at ...gulp...PPG LOL. We had mentioned if you or OM1 would be able to join that would be fantastic. Thinking of Detroit on Sunday Feb 19 at 3pm right now (so long as this Newf doggie of mine continues to show progress :pray:)...it's is a long wknd for me which works out well....just go in expecting a big loss unless the planets re-align for some odd reason lol...
Let us know gents...no pressure if busy. I know this is a bit of a longer haul for you as well from Cincy .....

Lol! You're correct sir...after tonight hopefully I can tune in on a more regular basis...and if this helps, I promise not to miss a game down the stretch. Although torontoeers in person at PPG is ...well...still a liability if we like the W! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Speaking of which...Euell and I are thinking of seeing a game together at ...gulp...PPG LOL. We had mentioned if you or OM1 would be able to join that would be fantastic. Thinking of Detroit on Sunday Feb 19 at 3pm right now (so long as this Newf doggie of mine continues to show progress :pray:)...it's is a long wknd for me which works out well....just go in expecting a big loss unless the planets re-align for some odd reason lol...
Let us know gents...no pressure if busy. I know this is a bit of a longer haul for you as well from Cincy .....

If the Pens don't start caring I may never attend another game!!!! Seriously, I have a weekend in Raleigh planned for Friday and Saturday. I don't have tickets yet but I do have a room booked. If they quit again tonight, I am cancelling the room.

And while I am still pissed from Saturday's debacle, have these three games reminded anyone else of the end of the Mike Johnston era? Sidney is back to hugging the half wall. hardly a forward is competing. Schutz and Letang look like they are still on holiday defensively. I haven't gone back and read any other thoughts as I was out of town until last night but I was disgusted by the effort Saturday and against Ottawa for that matter.

Less than 2 minutes in and Malkin is in the box. Doesn't bode well.

Pens are depressingly unready to play.....and I guess we weren't destined to get the 2016 Playoffs version of Matt Murray after all.

The Backstrom goal is what happens when everything is going right. If the Pens make the same pass, it either deflects off the stick or they shoot it wide.

Even when the Pens get a good opportunity, they seem incapable of even executing a quality shot. And Sid finishes the 1st looking, as has been the case the last 3 games, like a free agent.

Bonino, Bonino, Bonino, Bonino, Bonino, Bonino. Niiiicccckkkkkk Boninooooooooo!

Craps answer. Fans are getting their money's worth tonight!

IMO, right call on the Coaches' Challenge......and if the Craps think it was wrong, they can eat shit.

Reactions: Euell
Sid FINALLY gets his hands untied......

Meanwhile, the Craps don't like the lack of a call when (I think) Alzner gets ridden into the boards....... who gives a rat's ass.

Pens can't stand prosperity.

Craps are controlling the puck better in the 3rd, and their size is a major factor in their ability to come back tonight even when they're down.

Hallelujah.....at least we didn't have to sweat MM making a key OT save. Not happy the Craps got a point; but at least the losing (and winning) streak is history

Regarding last night, I absolutely will not underestimate the importance of a Pens win......any win.....against an elite, streaking (and very high scoring) opponent with their top defense pairing out of the lineup. I won't dispute that Carlson was out for the Craps.....and he's been a serious Pens-killer for a long time.....but I'll take a win over Washington no matter the circumstances.

Still, I find myself not quite as excited today as I'd like given their serial inability to protect what (I think) were two 2-goal leads. Having Tanger and Dumoulin in the lineup would have surely made a difference, and I'm trying to satisfy myself that Murray just had a really bad night which everyone (including Holtby) has on occasion. But that was a Pens defense sucking an almost unbelievable amount of wind when the OT game-winner was finally scored.

Of course. maybe the same can be said for the Craps defense. Meanwhile, all the Craps breaks weren't as bad last night as Pierre and the NBCSN crews seemed to feel; they got a HUGE one on the Oshie PP goal when the Pens....with Cole laying face down on the ice hurt after blocking a shot......were left playing 5 on 3. Nobody is going to stop the Craps under those kinds of circumstances.

Speaking of Cole, he was an absolute ****ing warrior last night. Good chance it was the best game he's ever played in Pittsburgh (or was certainly the game where the most was being asked of him). Speaking only for myself, I'll remember his performance last night for a long time.

Reactions: Euell
Islanders just (or finally) canned Jack Capuano; the 4th most tenured HC in the League. Frankly, it's borderline amazing he lasted this long.

I don't happen to like him personally, but I myself think he's a decent coach (though he's been getting savaged all season by going with that 3-goalie rotation). IMO, the only question now is if Garth Snow is next to get the gas from the new NYI ownership.

I believe Doug Weight gets the interim tag......

Regarding last night, I absolutely will not underestimate the importance of a Pens win......any win.....against an elite, streaking (and very high scoring) opponent with their top defense pairing out of the lineup. I won't dispute that Carlson was out for the Craps.....and he's been a serious Pens-killer for a long time.....but I'll take a win over Washington no matter the circumstances.

Still, I find myself not quite as excited today as I'd like given their serial inability to protect what (I think) were two 2-goal leads. Having Tanger and Dumoulin in the lineup would have surely made a difference, and I'm trying to satisfy myself that Murray just had a really bad night which everyone (including Holtby) has on occasion. But that was a Pens defense sucking an almost unbelievable amount of wind when the OT game-winner was finally scored.

Of course. maybe the same can be said for the Craps defense. Meanwhile, all the Craps breaks weren't as bad last night as Pierre and the NBCSN crews seemed to feel; they got a HUGE one on the Oshie PP goal when the Pens....with Cole laying face down on the ice hurt after blocking a shot......were left playing 5 on 3. Nobody is going to stop the Craps under those kinds of circumstances.

Speaking of Cole, he was an absolute ****ing warrior last night. Good chance it was the best game he's ever played in Pittsburgh (or was certainly the game where the most was being asked of him). Speaking only for myself, I'll remember his performance last night for a long time.

On the Caps shortie, WTF was Schultz doing? Schultz racked up a bunch of points but was a mess on the backend. It was also apparent that Maatta is not built for that style of play. If we have to go 3-4 more weeks with out Letang an Dumo, the defense will be exposed many times.

Who do you think will start in the cage tonight for the Pens ??

I suppose I'm thinking Flower, since he'd be playing in his hometown.....which he's always claimed to enjoy......and because Murray is hardly coming into tonight on a good streak. OTOH, I can see HCMS not wanting to appear to be placing too much emphasis on MM's crappy performance on Monday; and under the assumption he actually is their #1 goalie, you'd typically default to that guy in a place like Montreal.....that is, unless he's hurt.

But, since goaltending doesn't exactly appear to be a Penguins' strength right now, I'm not altogether sure it matters who gets the start.

• Josh Yohe reporting that Murray gets the start, which he considers surprising. He also says the team is frustrated with their recent defensive work (and apparently not just that on Monday night).
  • Tanger made the trip to Montreal (like Flower, it's his hometown). He's out for 7 days by rule, so he's clearly not playing this week. But JY views this as a net positive. Speaking of D-men, Dumoulin has been practicing. JY thinks he may be close to returning after the trip to Carolina.
  • This new defensive call-up, Cameron Gaunce, will evidently dress tonight; at the expense, I'm assuming, of Dave Warsofsky.

Reactions: torontoeers
Wow! Ballsy move by Murray there (actually happy to see him in...back into the fire after 7 is a good move imo)....and the quick strike! There's your boy Cole from the other night CM...I like what I have seen thus far (exception Kessel needs to have the jets to get past Petry there) tonight!

Is this a point at which PK gets /is getting a bit tired? We need ya 81...this team needs to win their share down the stretch!

Off to bed :joy:...hooking up a generator tomorrow at 3 am...good grief! Gimmie your thoughts in the AM fellas!

AND EXCEPTION that last 2-3 mins of the period...yikes! Let's Go Pens...clear the disk!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT