ADVERTISEMENT

Oliver Luck hired by B12.

Mofo...did you even read my post?
This is the same poster who sang Alec Sinkfield's praises before last season, and I told him that he was wrong for doing so. He's lucky that he didn't bet me then, and won't bet me now.

Not if you're assuming the rest of the b12 is STUPID, West Virginia included.

Only here on this Rivals Msg Board - would reward Texas & Oklahoma for leaving, with limited damages
to Texas Oklahoma.

You all are possibly underestimating
all the residential damages that are occurring to the remaining b12 - remaining 8.

Texas & Oklahoma could pay more than $80 million each, And leave.

Sorry, but your negotiating skills is mostly predicated on EMOTION, exclusively.

I think you mean residual but the $$$ will be limited to what's structured within the agreement....which is still a lot of money.

If you mean the B12 will seek additional cash because their value has diminished, that isnt a possibility, imo.

$20 million only covers
2.5 Years of both
BBob & Neal Brown's salary guarantees, combined.

Maybe that will assist you all in realizing the impact to releasing Texas & Oklahoma, early.

Money Ball doesn't stop with ESPN's financial stresses and strains.

You all's proposals
does not relinquish West Virginia from paying our internal contract obligations.

West Virginia will not agree to a pay reduction until absolutely all options have been exhausted.

$20 million only covers
2.5 Years of both
BBob & Neal Brown's salary guarantees, combined.

Maybe that will assist you all in realizing the impact to releasing Texas & Oklahoma, early.

Money Ball doesn't stop with ESPN's financial stresses and strains.
Maybe the university shouldn't be over paying then.

Reactions: KingCoal
Maybe the university shouldn't be over paying then.

Excellent post
but like Texas Oklahoma contract is with the b12, the same occurs internally to WVU based on b12 projected
revenue.

I have been BLASTED for years here, about a certain BB coach and the return on investment associated.

But that discussion is for another day, no matter how Great a comment or conclusion that it is!

Oh well

Reactions: Rootmaster
Excellent post
but like Texas Oklahoma contract is with the b12, the same occurs internally to WVU based on b12 projected
revenue.

I have been BLASTED for years here, about a certain BB coach and the return on investment associated.

But that discussion is for another day, no matter how Great a comment or conclusion that it is!

Oh well
At the risk of hijacking this thread and chasing you down a rabbit hole, what is your take on the BB coach? He makes too much money? Just curious.

Care to wager? It will be in the best interest of the remaining eight to accept a settlement for less than the full amount, as they can split the money now, THEN add more teams or exit the conference themselves.
The existing BIG 12 schools do not have an offer to exit the conference themselves, nor is it in their interest to sacrifice hundreds of millions of dollars so UT/OU can make more for themselves.

OU/UT owe 2 final years of full payouts for departing as well as (currently) 4 years of media rights payouts --total of between $400-$500 million. I can't imagine anyone in the conference thinking "oh let's just let them leave and not pay that".

Also, UT/OU specifically had language added to the conference bylaws regarding a 99 year commitment of which they didn't make 10 years. There will likely be penalties for breaking that Delaware Corporation agreement as well.

Not sure why you think UT/OU will just walk from their financial commitment, can't see it happening unless the existing membership is very substantially compensated and guaranteed no matter what a place in the Power 5 structure beyond 2025.

Reactions: mofo
At the risk of hijacking this thread and chasing you down a rabbit hole, what is your take on the BB coach? He makes too much money? Just curious.
Do you want a honest response?

At $4.1 Million per year guaranteed,
till retirement?

Good luck

Maybe you're just kidding - but the worse thing is an alumni use his own University.

The existing BIG 12 schools do not have an offer to exit the conference themselves, nor is it in their interest to sacrifice hundreds of millions of dollars so UT/OU can make more for themselves.

OU/UT owe 2 final years of full payouts for departing as well as (currently) 4 years of media rights payouts --total of between $400-$500 million. I can't imagine anyone in the conference thinking "oh let's just let them leave and not pay that".

Also, UT/OU specifically had language added to the conference bylaws regarding a 99 year commitment of which they didn't make 10 years. There will likely be penalties for breaking that Delaware Corporation agreement as well.

Not sure why you think UT/OU will just walk from their financial commitment, can't see it happening unless the existing membership is very substantially compensated and guaranteed no matter what a place in the Power 5 structure beyond 2025.

Well said, very well said...

Are WV fans thus gullible?

Lawyers love a challenge. See WVU lawsuit vs Big East and Big East lawsuit vs WVU. WVU lost but still paid less than what it cost to leave. Louisville would be in Big 12 today if they had the balls to sue Big East.

Maryland and ACC battled with lawsuits and payments against each other for what seemed like 5 years.

The better the lawyers the better the deal. The richer the conference the more they pay a teams buyout.

This crap will get uglier and destroy the remaining Big 12-4=8.

ESPN wants this more than anyone and what daddy TV wants daddy TV gets.

Lawyers love a challenge. See WVU lawsuit vs Big East and Big East lawsuit vs WVU. WVU lost but still paid less than what it cost to leave. Louisville would be in Big 12 today if they had the balls to sue Big East.

Maryland and ACC battled with lawsuits and payments against each other for what seemed like 5 years.

The better the lawyers the better the deal. The richer the conference the more they pay a teams buyout.

This crap will get uglier and destroy the remaining Big 12-4=8.

ESPN wants this more than anyone and what daddy TV wants daddy TV gets.

WVU didn't lose...they settled, which is the whole point.

You don't go in thinking you'll pay zero...it's just mitigating to a number you are comfortable with.

If you pay $17 million its a win if you were prepared to pay $25 million...

TX/OU are in a strong position. They can just wait out their time in the B12. If the conference wants them gone sooner, they will need to negotiate with them.

I'm curious how it would work expanding the conference when two of the voting members have their foot out the door...still possible but makes it harder.

Sorry anything less then what the contract stipulations is a major loss to remaining b12 members 8.

Any other terms, is simply bad business and soft approach to business.

Especially, and amazing that this
Rivals Msg board Posters
would just "figuratively just throw up their hands and surrender",
some just
~~2 months after the announcement.

There is no reason to settle,
in advance of 2025.

If this is foreshadowing, there is zero reason for other schools to wish to join the new b12.

No backbone

?Anything else - you all wish to give away to Texas Oklahoma?

Sorry anything less then what the contract stipulations is a major loss to remaining b12 members 8.

Rivals Msg board Posters
some just

in advance of 2025.

If this is foreshadowing, there is zero reason for other schools to wish to join the new b12.

No backbone

Anything else you all wish to give away to Texas Oklahoma
Are you talking about Joe Biden?

Do you want a honest response?

At $4.1 Million per year guaranteed,
till retirement?

Good luck

Maybe you're just kidding - but the worse thing is an alumni use his own University.
Yes, I did. Your position is understandable, given that WVU started bidding against itself several years ago when there was too much baggage to worry about its losing its coach to a blue blood program.

Yes, I did. Your position is understandable, given that WVU started bidding against itself several years ago when there was too much baggage to worry about its losing its coach to a blue blood program.

Really well said,
about West Virginia
"bidding against itself several years ago" and today.

There was zero reason to give BBob a raise to $$ 4.1 Million,
to finish up his career.

Reactions: KingCoal
Care to wager? It will be in the best interest of the remaining eight to accept a settlement for less than the full amount, as they can split the money now, THEN add more teams or exit the conference themselves.
LMAO....what are you going to wager? Your BL account you can't post on?

Food stamps? Your welfare check.....I will pass.

It's amazing what this WVU fan base represented here will do
To just give up and walk.

Texas Oklahoma can pay more to leave and not less then the Rights Agreement Stipulations.

Soft

There is Zero Reason to reward
Texas Oklahoma for destroying the b12.

May I re-repeat, there is zero reasons,
Emotional, Business, Financial to Reward Texas Oklahoma for being arrogant enough to destroy the b12 and expect remaining b12 to just lay down.

Last edited:

I wasn't asking you, which was obvious, considering that you can't even afford a Blue Lot subscription. Perhaps, you should start by selling your piccolo...it must be worth a month or two of a Blue Lot subscription. Toss in your fancy band shoes and hat, and you'd be up to six months.

Emotional, Business, Financial to Reward Texas Oklahoma for being arrogant enough to destroy the b12 and expect remaining b12 to just lay down.
It's not a matter of rewarding them. WVU and the other seven remaining Big 12 members need to do what's best for them, and if settling for a lesser amount gives them more and better options, then they should do just that.

I wasn't asking you, which was obvious, considering that you can't even afford a Blue Lot subscription. Perhaps, you should start by selling your piccolo...it must be worth a month or two of a Blue Lot subscription. Toss in your fancy band shoes and hat, and you'd be up to six months.
My obsessed stalker....still derailing threads and rambling on about nothing.

Try to stay on topic stalker boy.

My obsessed stalker....still derailing threads and rambling on about nothing.

Try to stay on topic stalker boy.
Buzz off, band fruit, as mofo and I are having an adult conversation. Read your band music before you return to the Board at 1:00 a.m. again because you have no life.

Rivals Msg board Posters
some just

in advance of 2025.

No backbone

?Anything else - you all wish to give away to Texas Oklahoma?

There's always a reason to settle. Because if it gets left up to a judge you might be left with zero.

If TX/OU stay for the remainder of the rights deal, then the conference gets whatever exit portion has been structured in the agreement....but if they allow them to leave early, they can negotiate a settlement which gives them more money than if they stayed until the media rights deal ended - because the GOR is their leverage.

Do you see what I'm saying? Negotiating a settlement early could provide them MORE money.

Last edited:

Destroy the B12? The conference lost 4 teams a decade ago. The only thing that kept the B12 together is that Texas got the Longhorn Network which kept them satisfied.

This isn't complicated. An employee cant circumvent and sabotage their own employer.

If Luck had the opportunity to assist WVU with the ACC, he wouldn't have taken the B12 role...
You do understand that the Big 12 has a responsibility to represent ALL of their members, right? Otherwise your stupidity has expanded since I've been gone. That would be tough....even for you.

Again, proving Luck somehow singlehanded made this happen while selectively ignoring reams of communications between the ACC and WVU over the years (including when WVU employed Luck as AD) is myopic.

Any judge who looks at Luck's CV which screams "conflict of interest" in this matter AND HIRED HIM ANYHOW would laugh the Big 12 out of court and your posts off the internet.

Please tell me you don't actually practice law. If so, I pray for your "clients".

You do understand that the Big 12 has a responsibility to represent ALL of their members, right? Otherwise your stupidity has expanded since I've been gone. That would be tough....even for you.

Again, proving Luck somehow singlehanded made this happen while selectively ignoring reams of communications between the ACC and WVU over the years (including when WVU employed Luck as AD) is myopic.

Any judge who looks at Luck's CV which screams "conflict of interest" in this matter AND HIRED HIM ANYHOW would laugh the Big 12 out of court and your posts off the internet.

Please tell me you don't actually practice law. If so, I pray for your "clients".

What argument are you even trying to make?

Luck took a job to assist the B12 conference. So he can't also work covertly to get WVU in the ACC.

This doesn't need explanation.

What you are advocating is for Luck to take a B12 job, then screw the B12 by helping WVU leave the conference...then lie about what he did - to a judge, under oath.

That's the scenario you've put forward.

Yep, if OU & UT leave after this year the minimum compensation for the rest of the conference is at least $400M. That also doesn’t take into account the damages for tortious interference by ESPN. There is way too much $$$ on the table to walk away from.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
What argument are you even trying to make?

Luck took a job to assist the B12 conference. So he can't also work covertly to get WVU in the ACC.

This doesn't need explanation.

What you are advocating is for Luck to take a B12 job, then screw the B12 by helping WVU leave the conference...then lie about what he did - to a judge, under oath.

That's the scenario you've put forward.
I'm not advocating lying. I'm saying exactly what I said. Expecting anyone to remember a random conversation from years ago as the foundation of your argument is idiotic and should be laughed out of court. My answer is absolutely legit. In this role, Luck will have hundreds of calls with pretty much every conference in the country. A simple, "I'm sure WVU came up in coversation just like every other team in the B12 was mentioned to every conference as part of my role,"

Every conversation going on right now (likely hundreds if not thousands before this is done) are ALL COVERT. You do realize that you sound ridiculous right now?

You are also ignoring that WVU CAN LEAVE AT THE END OF THE GOR and the Big 12 can do absolutely nothing about it as long as they give the B12 18 months notice. Right? There are at least a few different ways this can be done where the B12 can pound sand and like it.

Luck as a representative of the Big 12 has a fiduciary duty to look out for WVU as much as he does any other B12 member...right? Does the B12 joining up with the PAC 12 sound like that standard is being upheld? You could easily argue that the B12 could have brought in Luck to specifically help WVU out so that they don't have to deal with a WVU lawsuit if they leave us out in the cold (which would 100% happen). Again, how do you hire an ex-WVU quarterback who was an ex-WVU AD and reasonably expect him to ignore his alma mater? Luck literally has about as much COI as you can get. Again, the argument would be patently absurd. The judge would laugh and tell them to look in the mirror for the "culprit".

I'm not advocating lying. I'm saying exactly what I said. Expecting anyone to remember a random conversation from years ago as the foundation of your argument is idiotic and should be laughed out of court. My answer is absolutely legit. In this role, Luck will have hundreds of calls with pretty much every conference in the country. A simple, "I'm sure WVU came up in coversation just like every other team in the B12 was mentioned to every conference as part of my role,"

Every conversation going on right now (likely hundreds if not thousands before this is done) are ALL COVERT. You do realize that you sound ridiculous right now?

You are also ignoring that WVU CAN LEAVE AT THE END OF THE GOR and the Big 12 can do absolutely nothing about it as long as they give the B12 18 months notice. Right? There are at least a few different ways this can be done where the B12 can pound sand and like it.

Luck as a representative of the Big 12 has a fiduciary duty to look out for WVU as much as he does any other B12 member...right? Does the B12 joining up with the PAC 12 sound like that standard is being upheld? You could easily argue that the B12 could have brought in Luck to specifically help WVU out so that they don't have to deal with a WVU lawsuit if they leave us out in the cold (which would 100% happen). Again, how do you hire an ex-WVU quarterback who was an ex-WVU AD and reasonably expect him to ignore his alma mater? Luck literally has about as much COI as you can get. Again, the argument would be patently absurd. The judge would laugh and tell them to look in the mirror for the "culprit".

No, that isnt his job.

He wasn't hired to help schools depart the conference, dummy.

His role will be advising the B12 conference in the TX/OU departure, possibly expansion, media rights regotiation, ect. He cannot ethically perform that role if he is also working to help WVU jump ship - those are opposite missions.

That is very simple, very basic.

I'd argue he has no fiduciary duty to any of the schools - he isn't managing their money or any assets. You are misusing terms.

His duty would be to the conference.

Everything else you said are the ramblings of a person who watches TV but has no real life experience.

What you are suggesting Luck do is completely unethical.

Last edited:
Glad you all are
NOT my personal negotiators.

"Thank you sir, may I have another".

So your new theory is that the B12 hired Oliver Luck to help WVU join the ACC so WVU doesn't sue the B12?

What fvcking drugs do you take, man?

Because WVU sees the power vacuum at the top of the Big 12 and is trying to fill it
Not too hard to see

WVU wouldn’t mind running the new Big 12
There are a few other schools thinking the same thing
Possibility that Luck ends up commissioner.
You see Gordon Gee speaking out like he is running things as well.

ACC is a short term situation. Aren’t people tired as fans of short term situations.
Pretty much has been the life of WVU since the beginning. Bouncing from one conference to another.
Don’t want to join the ACC and in 10 years you see the SEC/B1G splitting up the conference

WVU then has the power with help from the media companies to decide who they want from that conference when it happens
In the ACC they are just left in the same position as now. Pretty much looking for something stable

Last edited:
Because WVU sees the power vacuum at the top of the Big 12 and is trying to fill it
Not too hard to see

WVU wouldn’t mind running the new Big 12
There are a few other schools thinking the same thing
Possibility that Luck ends up commissioner.
You see Gordon Gee speaking out like he is running things as well.

ACC is a short term situation. Aren’t people tired as fans of short term situations.
Pretty much has been the life of WVU since the beginning. Bouncing from one conference to another.
Don’t want to join the ACC and in 10 years you see the SEC/B1G splitting up the conference

WVU then has the power with help from the media companies to decide who they want from that conference when it happens
In the ACC they are just left in the same position as now. Pretty much looking for something stable

Not an unreasonable take, actually.

If the ACC is a locked door, all WVU can do is strengthen their own position in the B12 and the conference itself....which I assume will be having a deciding say in what schools are added to B12.

I think Kansas is important now...we cant lose more marquee programs and back-fill everyone with lower level teams....

I think the remaining 8 combined with 4 new programs are enough to continue with an expanded playoff model.

Last edited:
Reactions: WVUALLEN
Not an unreasonable take, actually.
N Carolina and ND are the two major players left
Clemson and Florida State would have to become AAU schools. ND is a big enough brand that their AAU status wouldn’t matter.
But the target has now shifted to the ACC. Their stupidity with the GOR is the reason why it isn’t breaking up today.
They are stuck making less than 1/2 what the SEC and B1G make so UNC will be very vulnerable when time comes.
Crazy thing is they already aren’t even Top 20 in revenue

Anyone looking at everything has to say the ACC won’t last
If it does it would be at the same place as the Big 12. Behind the SEC and B1G.

The contract for the B12 is 99 years from formation. Any school that leaves has a buyout unless the conference is dissolved, which takes at least 8 members to vote for.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT