ADVERTISEMENT

Neil vs. Dana

Delaware-eer

Redshirting
Gold Member
Feb 15, 2002
Much to work on at WVU with new coach, new staff, plays/schemes and young guys to develop. I clearly felt that this team perhaps learned from the errors/mistakes and by 2nd things started to click and the coaches and team started to improve and mature. Mizzou will be very tough as an away event, but while anything can happen, game will provide more opportunity to improve whether win (.

The past is the past, but with Dana, while he still did well vs Oklahoma tonight, we had the same old crap, play well and let the whole thing collapse and this time, another OK loss. Nuff said over Dana now and going forward, past history! Now the focus has to be Neil and WVU team (sorry, couldn’t resist the observation).

Dana said he left because WVU is not a team that could ever beat OU on a regular basis... but by saying that, he indicted himself after 8 years of being our HC. Just a cop out if you ask me. If he thinks it was hard here, he’s got it twice as tough at UH. BTW, show me what team that HAS beaten OU on a regular basis??

Don't care about Holgorsen at Houston.

He was one of the best ever at WVU though, and had WVU playing better than the current HC has shown so far.

Dana played the toughest schedules of any WVU football coach ever! Dana did not have discipline and our teams didn’t either. I’m not saying he was horribly bad. WVU won some big games, but did not have big seasons in the Big XII.

WVU was penalized entirely too much and defense was not equally emphasized under Dana. Special teams were sloppy at times too-we couldn’t even field punts some years. WVU missed on some players that were BEGGING to be at WVU.

I think we’ve upgraded at HC and over the long haul as a program.

Last edited:
Under Brown, playing FCS JMU, WVU had 6 penalties for 35 yards. JMU only had 20 yds of penalties.

Under Brown, playing FCS JMU, WVU had only 294 yards of offense compared to JMUs 328. WVU was only 6-18 on third down efficiency.

While some non thinking people bash on Holgorsen, how do you ignore WVUs present deficiencies?

Under Brown, playing FCS JMU, WVU had 6 penalties for 35 yards. JMU only had 20 yds of penalties.

Under Brown, playing FCS JMU, WVU had only 294 yards of offense compared to JMUs 328. WVU was only 6-18 on third down efficiency.

While some non thinking people bash on Holgorsen, how do you ignore WVUs present deficiencies?

New coach, new system, and new players.

Dana who? Did anyone really think we had enough returning to have a really good year? At best, it was going to be a rebuilding year; and if we have a winning season, it will be because of this coaching staff. Give the guy a break, he has coached one game for WVU and won. What more could you expect at this point?

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Dana who? Did anyone really think we had enough returning to have a really good year? At best, it was going to be a rebuilding year; and if we have a winning season, it will be because of this coaching staff. Give the guy a break, he has coached one game for WVU and won. What more could you expect at this point?

WVU consistently won at least 7 games under Holgorsen and they were in line to do it again.

Now that the haters got their wish and Holgorsen left, the apologists are in full force for the new coach.

Don't care about Holgorsen at Houston.

He was one of the best ever at WVU though, and had WVU playing better than the current HC has shown so far.

But Brown has WVU playing as good as DH did in his 3rd year as head coach. Funny how you forget that while trashing a coach that hasn't even had a chance in favor of a coach that after 8 seasons did not have WVU is as good a place as Nehlen or RR had in roughly the same time. Yet he is one of the "best ever." Guy was closer to Stewart on the head coaching spectrum than Nehlen, RR, or Bowden.

Buckaineer did. He actually stated WVU would be in contention this year with Dana at the helm. He thinks it's reasonable to judge a new coach with a new and vastly different system being installed after 1 GAME compared to a coach with 8 seasons in control of the program. He ignores the fact that the same coach he prefers fielded a garbage team in his 3rd year when the players his predecessor assembled were gone. The prick RR had a shite opening season, but went on to be a better coach in 7 seasons at WVU than DH after 8. But by his standards WVU should have just abandoned him because if a new coach's first game isn't as good as the previous coach, they just can't ever be as good.

and apparently NOT AS GOOD.

That's the point--bashed Holgorsen silly but giving the new guy a pass?

Why the double standards here?

People were not bashing Dana like you are now bashing Brown after Dana's first season you dolt. Despite losing to Syracuse badly with offensive weapons on par with 2018. Despite 2nd year collapse with 30+ point blow out losses to multiple big 12 teams. Not even when WVU went 4-8 in the 3rd season which is a major red flag for there to be regression after 3 seasons. It was only after 4+ seasons where the same pattern of relying on transfer QB's, piss poor fundamentals, bad defense, and NO improvement from September to the end of the season did people come close to being as critical of DH as you are with Brown right now. DH was given more than ample opportunity and you seem to think its unreasonable to give another coach the same opportunity.

WVU consistently won at least 7 games under Holgorsen and they were in line to do it again.

Now that the haters got their wish and Holgorsen left, the apologists are in full force for the new coach.
Did your mom smoke crack during your gestation?

Never was a Dana hater and my point is "he's gone" and we are moving forward. You seem to forget about the 4 win season, the underachieving 2018 eight win season and the bowl losses of his tenure. Furthermore, I do not believe that anyone has to apologize for NB after one game just because you want to praise a coach who made the decision to move on.

Never was a Dana hater and my point is "he's gone" and we are moving forward. You seem to forget about the 4 win season, the underachieving 2018 eight win season and the bowl losses of his tenure. Furthermore, I do not believe that anyone has to apologize for NB after one game just because you want to praise a coach who made the decision to move on.

The 4 win season was YEARS ago. You seem to forget the 10 win seasons that simply haven't happened often at WVU regardless of coach. You seem to forget all the bowl losses i.e. Don Nehlen had--yet he is in the hall of fame. All the QB injuries, all the players sitting out bowls, etc.

You bashed Holgorsen from before day one, yes you have to apologize for NB.

Or are you more into coach worship than results on the field suddenly? Cause for the last better part of a decade no result was good enough, any coach could coach WVU better, blah blah blah. Now WVU stinks it up vs. an FCS team in front of a sold out crowd and its........uhhhh, lets EXCUSE it away by bashing the previous coach with more LIES!!!

HYPOCRITES

Much to work on at WVU with new coach, new staff, plays/schemes and young guys to develop. I clearly felt that this team perhaps learned from the errors/mistakes and by 2nd things started to click and the coaches and team started to improve and mature. Mizzou will be very tough as an away event, but while anything can happen, game will provide more opportunity to improve whether win (.

The past is the past, but with Dana, while he still did well vs Oklahoma tonight, we had the same old crap, play well and let the whole thing collapse and this time, another OK loss. Nuff said over Dana now and going forward, past history! Now the focus has to be Neil and WVU team (sorry, couldn’t resist the observation).

He got his ass kicked as usual.

Why did you quit posting as 304?

Reactions: Rootmaster
Not a chance that would have happened, WVU would have put up 40 plus on them under Holgorsen anc co.

Prove it. No QB. No WR. No Center or RG. 2 of the defenders and 1 WR were gone due to Academic fraud and 1 transferred because he lost his starting job. The 2 lineman were gone at before the season ended last year. Holgorsen would not of been patient and would have forced things. See ISU game last year.

Prove it. No QB. No WR. No Center or RG. 2 of the defenders and 1 WR were gone due to Academic fraud and 1 transferred because he lost his starting job. The 2 lineman were gone at before the season ended last year. Holgorsen would not of been patient and would have forced things. See ISU game last year.

You prove your nonsense. Holgorsen never lost to an FCS squad and was right up there with the best at WVU in per season wins. Had a couple of 10 win seasons that make a good portion of the TOTAL number of 10 win seasons WVU has ever had.

Brown chased off a bunch of players and losers and excusers--the same ones that bashed Holgorsen mercilessly when even 1 player left--now trying to draw up fantasies to excuse it away and act as though all is good, while WVU barely eked out a win over an FCS squad.

Or you could be honest, admit that Holgorsen was one of the best ever at WVU, move on, and critique the new HC the same way you critiqued Holgorsen.

Best at what? He lost 51 games. Couldn't beat anyone in conference when it mattered.

Did you see your boy Dana break another headset Saturday and have a temper tantrum.
i

Reactions: Rootmaster
The 4 win season was YEARS ago. You seem to forget the 10 win seasons that simply haven't happened often at WVU regardless of coach. You seem to forget all the bowl losses i.e. Don Nehlen had--yet he is in the hall of fame. All the QB injuries, all the players sitting out bowls, etc.

Or are you more into coach worship than results on the field suddenly? Cause for the last better part of a decade no result was good enough, any coach could coach WVU better, blah blah blah. Now WVU stinks it up vs. an FCS team in front of a sold out crowd and its........uhhhh, lets EXCUSE it away by bashing the previous coach with more LIES!!!

HYPOCRITES
Is this your standard rebuttal. You seem to pull it out whenever you have no logical response. I dare you to find one post where I bashed Holgerson. And about those 10 wins seasons, the first was helped because he inherited Bill Stewart's star studded jroster. And the second, I give him credit for. And I will refrain from calling you the name you deserve.

Brown chased off a bunch of players and losers and excusers.

Once again false.

Allan Taylor of The Dominion Post and WVMetroNews reported Robinson’s reasoning is related to an academic situation involving the university’s code of student conduct.

Since December, there are a total of thirteen scholarship players that have either come to, or left from, West Virginia via the NCAA Transfer Portal. Of those thirteen, nine of them have been on their way out, while only four are coming in. But that doesn't tell the whole story.

Of those nine departures, two were gone before Neal Brown ever arrived - offensive linemen Matt Jones and Dontae Angus. The former was a starter last year, but the lowest-graded starter of anyone on the offense, per PFF, and he was leaving the program regardless of who the head coach was. The latter has not played a down for the Mountaineers, and had left the team months before, despite not showing up in the portal until January.

So we're down to seven, which may seem like it's still a large number, but it's not. First off, did we all forget the previous years? There were a total of fifteen - FIFTEEN - scholarship players that left the team during the 2018 calendar year. There was no coaching change. There was no turmoil. There was no "academic misconduct." Fifteen - sixteen if you count Jordan Adams, who left and then came back (before leaving again this offseason) - scholarship players just up and left the team, including multiple players who were expected to not only start but make a big impact in 2018. That included defensive linemen Lamonte McDougle and Adam Shuler, and wide receiver Reggie Roberson.

To say this offseason's attrition has been abnormal or the sign of problems within the program or on the coaching staff is disingenuous. Actually, I take that back. It is abnormal, because to have *only* seven departures after a complete staff overhaul is remarkable.

And take a closer look at those seven. That includes four players who were not going to be in the two-deep come the fall. So now we're focused on Marcus Simms, Kenny Robinson, and Derrek Pitts. All three of those guys would
not only have made a contribution, but were starters. Key starters. Anyone telling you differently is also being disingenuous. However, the first two of those departures had nothing to do with the new coaching staff, and everything to do with the "academic misconduct" that's been discussed incessantly.

Next stupid response from bucky will be....

Proof of Dana having problems with FCS. This is with a 5 star QB and a 4 Star QB. A 4 Star safety and 4 Star corner.

WVU 24 William & Mary 17 Had to come from Behind to win.

I'm tired of proving you wrong. Yes Dana was a decent coach. Yup he won 61 games but he also lost 51. You seem to have forgotten those 51.

Best of luck to Dana at Houston. But he's going to need a lot of luck.

As far as Brown. He is here and I support him like all coaches that have been here. But to attempt to blame everything that has happened, in one game even, on Brown is complete bull shit. I hope he's here for 20 years. Just like the hall of fame coach Don Nehlen.

HYPOCRITES

And that bold statement says it all for this idiot. First, you are misinterpreting Dana's improvements as a HC from the 4-8 season as him being a "great coach." Second, you admit that he had a shite season, but he eventually went on to do much better. If that is so, why can't Brown. Brown gets one effing game from you to be deemed as a worse coach than Dana and incapable of ever doing better? Dana gets over 3 seasons to become "one of the greatest" and Brown gets one game? Who is the hypocrite in this scenario? Sounds like someone is projecting.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
And that bold statement says it all for this idiot. First, you are misinterpreting Dana's improvements as a HC from the 4-8 season as him being a "great coach." Second, you admit that he had a shite season, but he eventually went on to do much better. If that is so, why can't Brown. Brown gets one effing game from you to be deemed as a worse coach than Dana and incapable of ever doing better? Dana gets over 3 seasons to become "one of the greatest" and Brown gets one game? Who is the hypocrite in this scenario? Sounds like someone is projecting.
Dude is talking about Dana and all his wins while talking shit about a guy who has never lost a game here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT