Mickey Furfari: Fine tribute to Cuyahoga

43rd Parallel

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
John Olesky, former sports writer, still follows WVU closely

By Mickey Furfari
MORGANTOWN --
John Olesky grew up in Monongah, West Virginia, and helped me six months while I was a young sports editor for the Dominion News, as a journalism student at West Virginia University.
He’s come a long way since then, Olesky, who turns 83 on Nov. 10 and now lives in Ohio. He actually wrote sports for only about 15 years. But he has loved following college football in particular -- and still does.
His first job after graduating from WVU was as sports editor of the Williamson Daily News after graduating in 1954 from the School of Journalism.
Olesky had graduated from Monongah High in 1950. Unable to be an athlete, he served as team manager for football and earned a letter. George Ross was the Monongah coach then.
After being at the Williamson Daily News for 5 years, Olesky joined the Charleston Daily Mail staff in 1959 and worked there four years.
Then he went to the Dayton, Ohio, Daily News and worked there for 13 years. Then he was hired by the St. Petersburg Times in Florida.
Then the last large newspaper for Olesky was the Akron Beacon Journal in Ohio. John loved it so much there he stayed for a total of 26 years.
That’s when he served as an editor. That long stretch of his career brought Olesky to his retirement in 1996.
In all, he spent 43 years in the newspaper business. Asked whether he enjoyed all of his different jobs, he replied: “I loved all of them. It was great for me to move around.”
While John still resides in Ohio, he remains a Mountaineer fan of every respect. So much so, he hasn’t missed a football home game in the last 200 games.
“It’s been long ago, but I loved my years at WVU, the West Virginia papers I served, and also those in Ohio.”
He’s proud especially of his 43 years in the newspaper business.
Olesky said he doesn’t know what he expects of the West Virginia football team this fall. He’s anxious to see how it fares in the Big 12 Conference.
“I do know we have a lot of experience on defense,” he said. “On offense, the quarterback always is the key.”
Olesky is not worried that the Mountaineers didn’t score many points in the spring game.
“That doesn’t mean much,” he said. “They put everybody out there.
“I want to see it when it counts.”
Olesky’s wife died in 2004. He has a friend with whom he travels with since his wife has been deceased.
John has three grown children, seven grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.
“I loved going to WVU,” Olesky said.
He mentioned in closing that he has traveled to many different countries since he has retired.

Thanks. I guess you get an advance copy of Mickey's columns, too, as I do.
1953 to today is a long friendship. I treasure it.
Our frequent phone chats reveal a man that few who criticize HIM, not his viewpoint, really know.
When Mickey interviewed me for his column, he said what he's said again and again:
"You don't have to agree with me all the time, but we still will be friends."
Too bad some on this board can't be as benevolent about those disagree with. Killing the messenger never goes out of style, I guess.
Again, thanks for posting this.

Nice career CFE. You really are a true fan. A lot of people don't have the respect they should for old-timers like you. They might when they become one down the road.

Reactions: MntnEERinSC
wow, made it through the article without one backhanded comment at Dana......... impressive

I am not so sure a fine tribute from an ass clown like Furfari is really of any value. When one's credibility is lost then even the positive articles become suspect.

It is easy now to see why some posters comes to the defense of the bitter and mean-spirited Furfari regardless of the trash he attaches his name too.

Lighten up, Francis.

How's Mickey doing, Cuyahoga?
Hearing and sight problems, but I think that, if he stops writing, he'll die. He uses a recorder in his interviews, which helps his hearing problem, and has technology help for his sight. But he keeps typing away.

It's his life for 70 years. I think it's what keeps him going. I enjoy our phone chats every month, sometimes only two weeks apart. I gives me an insight into Mickey's thinking that some who bash HIM (not his views) are so off-base about. Mickey continually says, "It's all right if you don't always agree with me." If only more on this board would take the same attitude. Disagree with the facts, as I do on this board (particularly about Oliver Luck), but why do we need to be disagreeable about a 90-year-old who is STILL at work? America was founded on dissent, which includes NOT agreeing with Mickey, or Oliver Luck, or Dana Holgorsen, or me. Mickey loves Bob Huggins, so he's not anti-WVU, just unhappy with some people at WVU, now or previously. Who among us is happy with EVERYTHING going on in WVU sports?

Now, let's all get under the same tent: Rooting for the WVU football team to have a tremendous season. It would make all of us feel better, including Mickey.

Gash GaSo, make Liberty flameout and crush the Turtle.
Then, somehow, survive the October Octopus Onslaught.

Nice career CFE. You really are a true fan. A lot of people don't have the respect they should for old-timers like you. They might when they become one down the road.

Ditto.

I don't care if Mickey has lost a step or become bitter or whatever. He's been a great ambassador for the school for 2-3x the number of years that those most critical of him have even been alive. He's put in his time and paid his dues, he has every right to call it like he sees it, just as others have every right to disagree.

Not many even make it to 90, let alone have the ability to have a lifetime job that they love enough to still be doing at 90.

Mickey will always have my respect.

Ditto.

I don't care if Mickey has lost a step or become bitter or whatever. He's been a great ambassador for the school for 2-3x the number of years that those most critical of him have even been alive. He's put in his time and paid his dues, he has every right to call it like he sees it, just as others have every right to disagree.

Not many even make it to 90, let alone have the ability to have a lifetime job that they love enough to still be doing at 90.

Mickey will always have my respect.

"Put his time in and paid his dues" for what - as a paid whore for the Raese brothers. Furfari sold out years ago. As for the garbage he attaches his name too, the articles aren't just differing opinions, but they are full of lies and distortions that aren't worthy of anyone's admiration.

How old do you have to be for dishonesty to become a virtue?

Last edited:
"Put his time in and paid his dues" for what - as a paid whore for the Raese brothers. Furfari sold out years ago. As for the garbage he attaches his name too, the articles aren't just differing opinions, but they are full of lies and distortions that aren't worthy of anyone's admiration.

How old to have to be for dishonesty to become a virtue?
Well whatever age it is that you're able to attend 200 straight home games.

I just love the fact that a fan who can remember attending a WVU home game in the 1930s before anybody knew what a television was is still here attending them and talking about them on the Internet in 2015.

What a span of eras you've seen, Cuyahoga! Keep sharing those memories, buddy!

Reactions: MntnEERinSC
Is it better to be a paid Raese whore or an unpaid Luck whore like you?

These Luck fanboys are hilarious.

I would say that after Luck cleaned out all of the Raese whores within the department that it was far better to have supported our well respected highly intelligent athletic director than a three time statewide loser living off of daddy's money and the dolts like you who supported him.

I would say that after Luck cleaned out all of the Raese whores within the department that it was far better to have supported our well respected highly intelligent athletic director than a three time statewide loser living off of daddy's money and the dolts like you who supported him.
I don't read many of Mickeys columns these days. I hate what has happened to him both professionally And personally. There's a back story there that many don't know. But I will say this. Mickey was a must read back in the 70s and early 80s when I roamed WVU. HE was on most days the only sportswriter that put a positive spin on WVU sports. His write ups of games were the best in America IMO . He covered the good, bad and ugly and was a true homer. Me and my friends loved Mickey back then. Sadly, and I'm not making excuses for his current writing, life throws some bad shit at you sometimes. Mickey got more than his share and some was because he refused to bash WVU. SOME OF YOU probably find that amazing but it's the truth.

I can't tell anyone how to feel about another human being. I just know I could never hate Mickey nor could I ever make fun of him. As someone ,mentioned , the guy is 90 freaking years old And still supporting himself. Reaching 90 is a hell of An accomplishment in my eyes. Maybe I just like old people and the stories they can about lives lived and things seen most of us can't grasp. Maybe I just respect my elders because my Mom taught me that was the right thing to do. Regardless , I hold no ill will towards the man.

I'm a dolt because I don't think Luck walks on water like you and worship his every word?

You also left out the part where he cleaned out Raese whores and replaced them with Bray Cary whores. The funniest thing is you act like there is no in between... You either believe in the completely infallible Luck or you are a Raese loving dolt.

Tell us the truth, how big of an erection did you get when you typed "well respected highly intelligent athletic director"?

Reactions: Funky Bunch
I'm a dolt because I don't think Luck walks on water like you and worship his every word?

You also left out the part where he cleaned out Raese whores and replaced them with Bray Cary whores. The funniest thing is you act like there is no in between... You either believe in the completely infallible Luck or you are a Raese loving dolt.

Tell us the truth, how big of an erection did you get when you typed "well respected highly intelligent athletic director"?

I have always said that the dumbest fans in our fan base are the Raese ass kissers and Luck haters, and you just happen to be a double loser. John Raese still has you beat as the state's biggest triple loser thanks to the voters of West Virginia.

raese_trophy.0.jpg

Last edited:
I have always said that the dumbest fans in our fan base are the Raese ass kissers and Luck haters, and you just happen to be a double loser. John Raese still has you beat as the state's biggest triple loser thanks to the voters of West Virginia.

That's funny, I've always said that our dumbest fans are the Oliver Luck jock sniffers who would have followed him off a cliff without question. They are also the same people that are too dumb to realize that just because some people don't blindly follow Luck's every word, doesn't have anything to do with John Raese.

LOL. Think your defense of every posting referencing the Raese brothers over the last year plus your juvenile responses to anything about Luck gives you away as a Raese ass kisser? And if that wasn't enough, the mention of Bray Cary really exposed you as another Raese ass kisser.

Luck never needed any blind followers because he was as transparent as he could be in securing WVU's athletic future and keeping us from becoming another Marshall. Luck also got rid of the trash within the department and the scam operation involving Raese's radio network. And I imagine the Raese ass kissers will be bitter for years to come.

Last edited:
LOL. Think your defense of every posting referencing the Raese brothers over the last year plus your juvenile responses to anything about Luck gives you away as a Raese ass kisser? And if that wasn't enough, the mention of Bray Cary really exposed you as another Raese ass kisser.

Luck never needed any blind followers because he was as transparent as he could be in securing WVU's athletic future and keeping us from becoming another Marshall. Luck also got rid of the trash within the department and the scam operation involving Raese's radio network. And I imagine the Raese ass kissers will be bitter for years to come.

My only participation in these threads has been to make fun of your hard on for Oliver Luck.

Mentioning Bray Cary highlights your hypocrisy and willful blindness. You complain in one paragraph about backroom deals with respect to Raese... completely ignoring the fact that Bray Cary just replaced him through connections with Luck and BOG members. That doesn't make me a Raese fan, that makes me an unbiased observer. Something you wouldn't know the first thing about...

It has really been nice around here recently without the daily article from your "Oliver Luck" keyword search.

Unbiased observer - LMAO. You are a Raese ass kisser and have always been one. It isn't surprising that you won't admit it, but your juvenile Luck references and automatic replies every time the Raese brothers are mentioned gave you away a long time ago. And as for this thread, Raese's irishlackey is the one who diverted the discussion to Luck (the proof is right in front of you).

WVU was the keyword search and Luck just happened to be the man in charge of the athletic department and probably WVU's biggest ambassador at the time. Naturally his name was going to appear in many of the articles. Sorry if that irritated the Raese ass kissers.

http://www.click2houston.com/sports/oliver-luck-speaks-at-final-four-event-in-houston/34923180

Great video!

Unbiased observer - LMAO. You are a Raese ass kisser and have always been one. It isn't surprising that you won't admit it, but your juvenile Luck references and automatic replies every time the Raese brothers are mentioned gave you away a long time ago. And as for this thread, Raese's irishlackey is the one who diverted the discussion to Luck (the proof is right in front of you).

WVU was the keyword search and Luck just happened to be the man in charge of the athletic department and probably WVU's biggest ambassador at the time. Naturally his name was going to appear in many of the articles. Sorry if that irritated the Raese ass kissers.

http://www.click2houston.com/sports/oliver-luck-speaks-at-final-four-event-in-houston/34923180

Great video!

Are you really this stupid? I've "always been one"... really? I rarely post on message boards so I'm not sure where this historical reference of my opinions is gathered from. Every time someone criticizes a Luck decision you start screaming Raese whore because you can't fathom anyone disagreeing with his holiness.

If the search was for WVU then why did your posts stop shortly after Luck left? Where are the articles about WVU and Lyons since then?

Congrats on a fine career CFE. Good to learn a little about your background. I also have lived in Dayton and the Cleveland areas. Been a Mountaineer fan for more than 6 decades and have nothing but great memories of my days at WVU. Wether I agree or not, I enjoy reading your posts and look forward to them.

Congrats on a fine career CFE. Good to learn a little about your background. I also have lived in Dayton and the Cleveland areas. Been a Mountaineer fan for more than 6 decades and have nothing but great memories of my days at WVU. Whether I agree or not, I enjoy reading your posts and look forward to them.

That is exactly Mickey's stance. Agree or disagree, but don't be disagreeable. We're all in this world together. We might as well get along, even when we don't agree.

I was at the Dayton Daily News for 13 years, 11 of them under Sports Editor Si Burick, named Ohio Sportswriter of the Year for seven consecutive years. Quite a talent, that Si! And then I came to Akron to watch John S. Knight walk into the office after the Kentucky Derby every year (after his Miami winters). What a blessed life! And that's before traveling to 53 countries and 43 states.

Are you really this stupid? I've "always been one"... really? I rarely post on message boards so I'm not sure where this historical reference of my opinions is gathered from. Every time someone criticizes a Luck decision you start screaming Raese whore because you can't fathom anyone disagreeing with his holiness.

If the search was for WVU then why did your posts stop shortly after Luck left? Where are the articles about WVU and Lyons since then?

You are a Raese ass kisser and a dolt - double loser in most people's book. There wasn't any criticism of Luck in this thread (proof again is right in front of you). Luck is on to bigger and better things and Raese and friends have been kicked to the curb. Those are the facts and message board postings from Raese's irishlackey can't change them.

If you've been to 43 states, Cuyahoga, what are the 7 you're still missing?

You are a Raese ass kisser and a dolt - double loser in most people's book. There wasn't any criticism of Luck in this thread (proof again is right in front of you). Luck is on to bigger and better things and Raese and friends have been kicked to the curb. Those are the facts and message board postings from Raese's irishlackey can't change them.

You are a broken record who doesn't respond to the content of my posts. You are like a little kid with their fingers in their ears, screaming "Raese whore". Responding to your drivel is growing boring. I have no relationship or affiliation to any Raese and my opinions are solely my own. I support WVU and not any particular coach, leader or person...

Furfari's criticism of Luck is the reason you called Furfari a "Raese whore", which prompted my initial response above. So while the direct criticism of Luck is not happening in this thread, it is the sole reason for your involvement in this thread.

Get back to me when you are ready to talk about the new good ole boy network (WVMedia) or how you never post anymore articles now that Luck is gone. In the meantime, I guess I'll answer my own question... Yes, you are that stupid and deluded.

Killing the messenger never goes out of style, I guess.

[QUOTE="Cuyahoga Falls Eers, post: 273015, member: 150"Mickey continually says, "It's all right if you don't always agree with me." If only more on this board would take the same attitude.
[/QUOTE]

I really intended to congratulate you on being the subject of such a nice article.....but then you and others decided to make it all about Mickey. So I'll post on that topic instead....

I certainly endorse the idea that all people in a discussion don't need to agree....which is why I choose not to post on tos. You might as well be discussing the weather...

------------

First you describe Mickey simply as the messenger but then you go on a rant about people not needing to have the same opinions. So you think a true messenger ( an old school reporter) shares opinions or do you think 'back in the day' the job was about simply delivering facts and news ? ....not manipulating statistics and posting half truths to attack the people at our school that he finds personally offensive (aka more about not liking them rather than the job their job performance).

Over time I've come to realize both you and Mickey enjoy being able to cause a dust storm even in the Internet age. It's not exactly a respectable effort (given the history of you both).....

....but I must admit I admire the ability to stay in the spotlight (despite the content offered).

[QUOTE="Cuyahoga Falls Eers, post: 273015, member: 150"Mickey continually says, "It's all right if you don't always agree with me." If only more on this board would take the same attitude.

I really intended to congratulate you on being the subject of such a nice article.....but then you and others decided to make it all about Mickey. So I'll post on that topic instead....

I certainly endorse the idea that all people in a discussion don't need to agree....which is why I choose not to post on tos. You might as well be discussing the weather...

------------

First you describe Mickey simply as the messenger but then you go on a rant about people not needing to have the same opinions. So you think a true messenger ( an old school reporter) shares opinions or do you think 'back in the day' the job was about simply delivering facts and news ? ....not manipulating statistics and posting half truths to attack the people at our school that he finds personally offensive (aka more about not liking them rather than the job their job performance).

Over time I've come to realize both you and Mickey enjoy being able to cause a dust storm even in the Internet age. It's not exactly a respectable effort (given the history of you both).....

....but I must admit I admire the ability to stay in the spotlight (despite the content offered).[/QUOTE]

CFE didn't make it all about Mickey. Mickey wrote the damn article and CFE commented on part of their conversation when being interviewed ... the part you happened to quote to be exact. Everybody else made it about Mickey and CFE took up for his friend (as any decent person should ... but that's probably the source of the disconnect)

Mickey and CFE both have contributed more to WVU than ANYBODY criticizing them ever will.

CFE didn't make it all about Mickey. Mickey wrote the damn article and CFE commented on part of their conversation when being interviewed ... the part you happened to quote to be exact. Everybody else made it about Mickey and CFE took up for his friend (as any decent person should ... but that's probably the source of the disconnect)

Mickey and CFE both have contributed more to WVU than ANYBODY criticizing them ever will.

Actually, CFE played a huge part in making this thread about Mickey.... ...and your ideology that any decent person should always take up for a friend has huge flaws. Massive really....

I don't question what Mickey and CFE have contributed to WVU overall.... ...but I'm quite comfortable expressing that over the most recent years that Mickey is more about (attempting) preserving his legacy rather than adding to it while at the same time attempting 'to take others out' ( as if that would somehow be the crown jewel of his career )

Like children the elderly often throw tantrums to gain attention.....which is beneath Mickey (yet, he does it).

If you've been to 43 states, Cuyahoga, what are the 7 you're still missing?
Arkansas
Kansas
Mississippi
Missouri
Nebraska
Oklahoma

Oregon

I could knock off two more by going to WVU road games, huh?

I was thisclose to Mississippi when I went to the Auburn and LSU games, though. But we spent the week in the Smokies and New Orleans instead. Life is full of choices. Take them.

This almost sounds like another Hank Hill alias posting. He made everything about Luck and was a big Raese ass kisser. He now spends his days on Marshall's smack board referencing Luck's jock strap and complaining about Bray Cary (notice the similarities) and has close to 200,000 postings (LOL). You seem like you are even a bigger dolt and just as obsessed with Oliver Luck. As I said before, Luck moved on to bigger and better things and Raese & friends have been kicked to the curb. Continuing to cry about it won't serve any purpose.

Arkansas
Kansas
Mississippi
Missouri
Nebraska
Oklahoma

Oregon

I could knock off two more by going to WVU road games, huh?

I was thisclose to Mississippi when I went to the Auburn and LSU games, though. But we spent the week in the Smokies and New Orleans instead. Life is full of choices. Take them.

I've been to 2 of the states you mention: Oklahoma and Arkansas

Oklahoma - Visit Norman. OU has an awesome campus and Gaylord Memorial Stadium is something to see. Since you are going to have to fly into Will Rogers Airport in OKC, you might as well visit Cattlemen's Steakhouse. It's solid, trust me on this.

Arkansas - Go to Fayetteville. Little Rock is a shit hole, but Fayetteville has U of A and go to Dickson St. You will not be disappointed. Plus their game day tailgating is fantastic. Similar to WV, they don't have professional sports teams so the Razorbacks is all they know.

Hope this helps[cheers]

Cuyahoga, did you ever encounter my cousin, Shockey Cadle? He was head basketball coach at Withrow HS in Cincy from the mid-60's to the mid-70's. Dave Parker was Shockey's "goon" when he played at Withrow.

I spent my summers getting knocked around by Shockey's players in pickup games. I've still got the knots on my head to remind me of it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT