ADVERTISEMENT

Luck set the standard. Can this HC win us a national championship?

WVUDisciples

All-Conference
Dec 28, 2002
For those who think we are headed in the right direction, please tell me the last time we got embarrassed like we did against Oklahoma? They could have scored 100 points if they wanted to. They scored a TD on their first seven possessions. They only stopped scoring when they took out their starters. That has never happened in the history of WVU football! Not even Testaverde's loaded with NFL'ers Miami team beat us like that.

When Luck fired Stewart, he said he made the change because it was obvious we were not going to win a national championship with him. Luck set the standard. You can't move the goalposts now and say, "Well, a 10-2 season every now and then is the best we can do." No, the standard has been set. "Can we win a national championship with this guy?"

I loved Bill Stewart, but if the standard is, "Can we win a NC with this guy?" then I agreed with Luck's assessment. Stewart had to go. We only gave him three years of 9 wins to figure it out. Bill Stewart could have won an average a 7 games a year in the Big 12. No doubt in my mind about that. But that wasn't the standard. Can this coach lead us to a NC? Well, after 7 years of being able to recruit his own staff, his own players, his own everything, and a Oklahoma team that lost to Iowa State has to mercifully pull its starters in the 3rd quarter, well, we are certainly not headed in the right direction.

Let me ask it this way: If Will Grier doesn't fall into our laps, does this team come back and beat Texas Tech? What happens in that Kansas State game that we barely held on to win? Do we defeat a vastly improved Iowa State squad? No way. We all know it. This program is a lucky transfer away from being 4-8 for the second time in 4 years. If Grier doesn't come back next year, we are toast.

I'm not saying the sky is falling. It HAS ALREADY fallen and Will Grier just gave us a year of fool's gold to prolong the agony. Is Grier good enough to lead us to another fool's gold 7-5/8-4 next year? I think so. He's THAT good of a college QB. But there will be no touchdown Jesus to save us come 2019. Dana will leave after next year ... he'll take some job ... any job ... and get out before someone says the emperor has no clothes. The man is not a leader. We've got some good assistants and some good recruiters, just like Bill Stewart had.

Sadly, after Dana jumps ship, some will say, "see how lucky we were to have Dana," when in reality he's the one whose void of leadership fiddled while the programmed burned. I just hope we don't end up like Nebraska and be so far down it's hard to come back from it. After Saturday, I think we are there.

Nobody was 'embarrassed' by the loss to Oklahoma. At least not anyone I know. What's to be embarrassed about? WV wasn't the first team to lose big against Oklahoma and won't be the last. Besides, I pretty much knew OK was gonna whup the Mountaineers months ago. WV simply can't play a rich mans game. Warez

I don’t watch WVU football with an interest in whether they win or not. Winning is for losers

I personally don't think WVU will ever win a NC in football.

We don't have the resources or fan and alumni support to do so.

Obvious and we are not going to win one in basketball either. Unless we reeeeaaalllllly start cheating like the schools who have been winning them.

For those who think we are headed in the right direction, please tell me the last time we got embarrassed like we did against Oklahoma?

We lost 24-3 to East Carolina. Let me repeat that, yes, we lost by 21 points to East Carolina.

And the following week we lost to an absolutely horrible Colorado team.

You're precious.

You think a coach, who was obviously way in over his head, who lost by 21 points to f'ucking East Carolina, can win 7 games a year in the Big XII.

Hilarious.

No coach will win a CFP at WVU. Unless Alabama, USC, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Texas, Michigan, FSU, Miami, Fla., Florida, Auburn, LSU, Georgia, Notre Dame, possibly Clemson, Texas A&M...so forth and so forth crumble and no longer play football.

WVU football can never contend for anything worthwhile.

Basketball has a chance as long as we have Huggins

1. Back then, ECU was a decent top 40 team and that game was very competitive until the end. A close loss the Colorado on a Thursday night ESPN game was, again, not nearly as ridiculous as what you just saw last Saturday. Nehlen, who beat OU at OU, said it this week. Tony Caridi said it. Even Gibby admitted it. It was the most pathetic defense we have ever played.

We lost 24-3 to East Carolina. Let me repeat that, yes, we lost by 21 points to East Carolina.

You're precious.

You think a coach, who was obviously way in over his head, who lost by 21 points to f'ucking East Carolina, can win 7 games a year in the Big XII.

Hilarious.

There are 5-10 teams every year that have a good shot at the nc. Wvu is not one of those teams and 99.9% of the time will never be one of the teams. After 100 years + of playing football wvu has played for one NC and had a chance in another but was blown out against fla. Now if we can get the BE back together with Rutgers, temple, so fla, cinci, UConn, Louisville, bc cuse and Pitt we may have a chance to consistently hit double digit wins to satisfy some fans. Murderer’s row I know. Wvu needs to figure out a way to win the conference first.

That's what I'm saying. Let's just worry about winning the conference right now. But seriously, I don't think Dana has the leadership ability to do that. He's a GREAT OC, one of the best in the country. But the guy is just not a leader. That doesn't mean I don't like him or wouldn't be friends with him but most coaches just aren't cut out to be head coaches of championship programs. Same for Bill Stewart. Good coach. Great guy! Not a championship HC.

This is why I'd rather have a proven HC from the MAC or Conf USA as opposed to a coordinator from a top 10 program. The skills aren't the same. To be a good HC you don't even need to be a solid OC or DC.

There are 5-10 teams every year that have a good shot at the nc. Wvu is not one of those teams and 99.9% of the time will never be one of the teams. After 100 years + of playing football wvu has played for one NC and had a chance in another but was blown out against fla. Now if we can get the BE back together with Rutgers, temple, so fla, cinci, UConn, Louisville, bc cuse and Pitt we may have a chance to consistently hit double digit wins to satisfy some fans. Murderer’s row I know. Wvu needs to figure out a way to win the conference first.

Obvious and we are not going to win one in basketball either. Unless we reeeeaaalllllly start cheating like the schools who have been winning them.

Basketball has a chance because of the way the tournament is set up you can lose 10 or more regular season games and still have a chance.

It's much easier to put together a group of 5-10 guys who have been around the program 4 years and get hot in the tourney. Football is almost impossible if you're not a blue blood because you won't have the talent on the OL and DL needed.

2011 Oklahoma State may have had a chance if they took care of business with Iowa State, but I suspect Bama or LSU still would have handled them.

Yet none of those loses compares to Dana losing to damn Kansas a few years ago and then he about blew it to a terrible Baylor team this year. ECU and Colorado were better than the Kansas we lost to and this years terrible Baylor team.

You're precious.

Hilarious.

Reactions: ColoradoMountaineer
Historically, 7 wins is as good as it gets. Historically Dana is doing fine

And the children think the air raid is so cool

For those who think we are headed in the right direction, please tell me the last time we got embarrassed like we did against Oklahoma? They could have scored 100 points if they wanted to. They scored a TD on their first seven possessions. They only stopped scoring when they took out their starters. That has never happened in the history of WVU football! Not even Testaverde's loaded with NFL'ers Miami team beat us like that.

When Luck fired Stewart, he said he made the change because it was obvious we were not going to win a national championship with him. Luck set the standard. You can't move the goalposts now and say, "Well, a 10-2 season every now and then is the best we can do." No, the standard has been set. "Can we win a national championship with this guy?"

I loved Bill Stewart, but if the standard is, "Can we win a NC with this guy?" then I agreed with Luck's assessment. Stewart had to go. We only gave him three years of 9 wins to figure it out. Bill Stewart could have won an average a 7 games a year in the Big 12. No doubt in my mind about that. But that wasn't the standard. Can this coach lead us to a NC? Well, after 7 years of being able to recruit his own staff, his own players, his own everything, and a Oklahoma team that lost to Iowa State has to mercifully pull its starters in the 3rd quarter, well, we are certainly not headed in the right direction.

Let me ask it this way: If Will Grier doesn't fall into our laps, does this team come back and beat Texas Tech? What happens in that Kansas State game that we barely held on to win? Do we defeat a vastly improved Iowa State squad? No way. We all know it. This program is a lucky transfer away from being 4-8 for the second time in 4 years. If Grier doesn't come back next year, we are toast.

I'm not saying the sky is falling. It HAS ALREADY fallen and Will Grier just gave us a year of fool's gold to prolong the agony. Is Grier good enough to lead us to another fool's gold 7-5/8-4 next year? I think so. He's THAT good of a college QB. But there will be no touchdown Jesus to save us come 2019. Dana will leave after next year ... he'll take some job ... any job ... and get out before someone says the emperor has no clothes. The man is not a leader. We've got some good assistants and some good recruiters, just like Bill Stewart had.

Sadly, after Dana jumps ship, some will say, "see how lucky we were to have Dana," when in reality he's the one whose void of leadership fiddled while the programmed burned. I just hope we don't end up like Nebraska and be so far down it's hard to come back from it. After Saturday, I think we are there.
Ironic that you whine about the Away loss to a power house OU team that just may end up being NC's on the 10th anniversary of the worst - by orders of magnitude - defeat in WVU football history. Losing to a hapless, pathetic 4-7 sPitt team AT HOME when just 1 game from own NC shot. Last week isn't even in the conversation. Get over it.

You're precious.

Hilarious.

You have to take off your receiver gloves BEFORE you throw the ball. And the clock management...gosh.

i agree we aren't headed in the right direction but wins and losses are only part of it. our fundamentals are horrible...the way we take on blocks, tackling, pursuit angles, game management, etc. it's like we just throw a bunch of guys on the field and say "fvck it go make a play". conditioning is suspect...we look gassed in the second half of games and thats not just the defense either. do you see our receivers slogging back to the line in the 4th quarter of some games? we don't have anyone else (tevin bush/ricky rogers?) that we can line up at wr and run a go route to clear an area and make the db work a little? ive said it before and i'll say it again...i like dana, i just don't see him taking us to the next level.

Reactions: Orlaco
Yet none of those loses compares to Dana losing to damn Kansas a few years ago and then he about blew it to a terrible Baylor team this year. ECU and Colorado were better than the Kansas we lost to and this years terrible Baylor team.

Oh, so now we're counting "almost losses."

Puff the magic dragon lived by the sea

We will never know. Those games are in the past. You have no idea of the growth Chugs would or would not make during a season started from game 1.

Basketball has a chance because of the way the tournament is set up you can lose 10 or more regular season games and still have a chance.

It's much easier to put together a group of 5-10 guys who have been around the program 4 years and get hot in the tourney. Football is almost impossible if you're not a blue blood because you won't have the talent on the OL and DL needed.

2011 Oklahoma State may have had a chance if they took care of business with Iowa State, but I suspect Bama or LSU still would have handled them.
Not sure basketball is much easier. Seems every year the National Championship game has a Blue Blood involved. Just as football has it’s Alabama’s Ohio St ‘s, USC’s, etc., basketball has North Carolina, Duke, Kentucky, Mich.St., Syracuse, Louisville, UCLA,’s. UConn, etc. Go back the last 30 years and guarantee you the above mentioned teams make up close to 90% of the basketball National Champions. and close to 100% if not Champs played in the National Championship game.

That's what I'm saying. Let's just worry about winning the conference right now. But seriously, I don't think Dana has the leadership ability to do that. He's a GREAT OC, one of the best in the country. But the guy is just not a leader. That doesn't mean I don't like him or wouldn't be friends with him but most coaches just aren't cut out to be head coaches of championship programs. Same for Bill Stewart. Good coach. Great guy! Not a championship HC.

This is why I'd rather have a proven HC from the MAC or Conf USA as opposed to a coordinator from a top 10 program. The skills aren't the same. To be a good HC you don't even need to be a solid OC or DC.

Could you please provide a few names of realistic candidates to replace Dana?

I wouldn’t consider Nick Saban or others in his salary range to be realistic candidates.

Yes

Dana has as good a shot as any coach at WVU to win a title

Which is nearly 0%, But Dana is no less capable

Not sure basketball is much easier. Seems every year the National Championship game has a Blue Blood involved. Just as football has it’s Alabama’s Ohio St ‘s, USC’s, etc., basketball has North Carolina, Duke, Kentucky, Mich.St., Syracuse, Louisville, UCLA,’s. UConn, etc. Go back the last 30 years and guarantee you the above mentioned teams make up close to 90% of the basketball National Champions. and close to 100% if not Champs played in the National Championship game.

Teams have come close in basketball. Nova won it the other year and I wouldn't call them a blue blood, same with Florida who won it a couple times in the early 2000s.

Butler has made the finals twice in recent memory, so and Wisconsin has played for it.

Reactions: WVUDisciples

Just shut up and go be a Tennessee fan then, they change lures often enough. Good lord I'd hate to sit beside you at a game.

I would love to see what Larry Fedora could do at a school not solely committed to winning the ACC/NC BB title.

Larry Fedora would be an interesting hire.
Fedora has huge Texas connections. His brother is the head coach at A&M Consolidated in College Station, TX.

West Virginia would have to make a huge commitment to him financially. He has recruiting connections in DMV andTexas but none in Ohio and PA.

I personally don't think WVU will ever win a NC in football.

We don't have the resources or fan and alumni support to do so.

But you saying Dana can't win without Will Grier is pretty dumb considering we just won 10 games with a subpar at best QB.
We won't ever win a NC as long as we have people with your attitude. You don't even want to try. We won ten games last year because the team was better and the schedule was weaker. If Dana could win 10 games with a subpar QB then why could'nt he win 10 game with and above average QB? Maybe it would be best to ask all the AD's with current job openings. They don't seem to be interested in Dana.

Well That's not gonna happen with Dana.

Reactions: SKYHAWKBALL
Ironic that you whine about the Away loss to a power house OU team that just may end up being NC's on the 10th anniversary of the worst - by orders of magnitude - defeat in WVU football history. Losing to a hapless, pathetic 4-7 sPitt team AT HOME when just 1 game from own NC shot. Last week isn't even in the conversation. Get over it.
When is Dana going to get wvu in a postion to play for and NC? The clown got taken to school by a 2nd year coach at VT. He got beaten by 2 rookie power 5 coaches in consecutive weeks. The best this guy will ever do is crappy bowl games. Get in touch with reality.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT