ADVERTISEMENT

Lame storming the court

.Bodhi.

All-Conference
Apr 5, 2009
Students were quiet as church mice the entire game as WVU throttled the number one ranked team in the country. If the place was rocking all night I'd be more forgiving. But storming the court after sitting on your hands or tweeting all game? Lame.

Besides, storming the court is small time on nearly every occasion. This isn't TCU beating KU. Baylor was ranked higher, but WVU is 10th and was 7th last week. And WVU is the more storied and respected program. You don't rush the floor after beating a team you should beat.

Students were quiet as church mice the entire game as WVU throttled the number one ranked team in the country. If the place was rocking all night I'd be more forgiving. But storming the court after sitting on your hands or tweeting all game? Lame.

Besides, storming the court is small time on nearly every occasion. This isn't TCU beating KU. Baylor was ranked higher, but WVU is 10th and was 7th last week. And WVU is the more storied and respected program. You don't rush the floor after beating a team you should beat.

Yep, how dare those students enjoy a moment.

We should put a cage around the court.

backed up baby batter going to his head....just release and have a beer.

Yep, how dare those students enjoy a moment.

We should put a cage around the court.

I agree with you. I don't know why it gets so many people angry. I saw a pic of Meyers hanging out with fans and smiling, you know he loves it. Great fun, which is what sports is all about or at least use to be about. Now, it's all about $$$.

I participated in the court storming against #2 UCLA when WVU took down the Bruins and Russell Westbrook. It was a fun experience.

We do it at least twice a season, not sure why anyone is surprised or even uoset at this point. Our fanbase has always been on the wild side, beating #1 will be a guaranteed court/field storming for the rest of our lives.

Storming the court is juvenile, period. Act like the win was expected and not some strange event caused by a double moon. Great win but proof of "student" support will be the next game against an unranked opponent...with a third of the joint empty. By the way the OP was correct about the tweeting and messenging...constant head down, thumb plucking, childish behavior.

Storming the court is juvenile, period. Act like the win was expected and not some strange event caused by a double moon. Great win but proof of "student" support will be the next game against an unranked opponent...with a third of the joint empty. By the way the OP was correct about the tweeting and messenging...constant head down, thumb plucking, childish behavior.

Get off my porch kid

Reactions: DoogEER
Idiotic OP. Storming the course and all the excitement, which the sellout crowd showed throughout the game, is good for the soul.

You should be complaining about fires and other damage in Morgantown streets later, then we could agree with you.

Next thing you know you'll complain about the thrlll of singing "country roads."

Party pooper.

Reactions: roadtrasheer
... By the way the OP was correct about the tweeting and messenging...constant head down, thumb plucking, childish behavior.

I don't know why, this struck me as hilarious, given how things are right now, to say such things about teens and twenty-somethings.

Of course it's juvenile, they are college students.

You must have been a real drag back in your day. Let me guess, you were an RA?

Reactions: MntnEERinSC
I agree with you. I don't know why it gets so many people angry. I saw a pic of Meyers hanging out with fans and smiling, you know he loves it. Great fun, which is what sports is all about or at least use to be about. Now, it's all about $$$.

I participated in the court storming against #2 UCLA when WVU took down the Bruins and Russell Westbrook. It was a fun experience.

I was on the field after 2003 Virginia Tech. Great memory.

Stuff like this builds life long fans.

It's less than 2 or 3 times in a decade that you get to beat a number 1 on your home court. The students were great and shouldn't be shamed for doing something fun with no harm to others.

I'm all for high expectations (unlike many danapologists) but I hope our kids always storm the court after beating the top ranked team in the nation. I'd love to see us do it in football too!

I was on the field after 2003 Virginia Tech. Great memory.

Stuff like this builds life long fans.

That game was special to me, too. I watched with my wife in Mountaineer Field. We talked till 3 a.m. about it. She passed away the next February. She lives under a double grave marker in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio with "WV" under each of our names. I'll join her some day.

Quiet? You mean that was the Baylor fans chanting "Motley Sucks" and "No mean No" all game and that the announcers continually commented on how into the game they were? How miserable do you have to be to find something to bitch about after beating the number one team in the nation. Bet you are a blast at tailgates.

No issues with storming the court, but it didn't seem as crazy as I have seen it in there even in recent years. Not terrible crowd by any means, just was't what I was expecting.

Hey there budha boy..............it ain't your court. Why do you care if fans storm the court.?

That game was special to me, too. I watched with my wife in Mountaineer Field. We talked till 3 a.m. about it. She passed away the next February. She lives under a double grave marker in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio with "WV" under each of our names. I'll join her some day.

Cuyahoga Falls.............you are a true fan of WV and that gets my respect. Warez

KU fans rushed the floor after an 82-80 victory over No. 1 Florida on Nov. 25, 2006. That game was at the Las Vegas Invitational at Orleans Arena in Las Vegas. As far as home games go, about 150 KU students rushed the court following KU’s 90-87 victory over No. 3 Texas on Jan. 28, 2003.

2010 - UCLA's student section -- stormed the court at Pauley Pavilion, outraging college basketball purists across the country.

No fan base has been more pompous about their court-storming superiority than Big Blue Nation, but it turns out Kentucky also has a dirty little secret from the '70s it would have preferred to keep hidden.

Indiana
It's happened multiple times in recent memory, most recently a season ago when the Hoosiers upset previously unbeaten Wisconsin.

Duke
The Cameron Crazies also can't play the holier than thou card here, as they actually stormed the court after a 77-75 win over North Carolina when Duke was the No. 1 team in the country in 1998. The Tar Heels were ranked third and the win was Coach K's 500th, but still...

Michigan State
The Breslin Center has been stormed a handful of times over the past decade, most recently when the Spartans upset No. 1 Wisconsin back in 2007.

Louisville
Cardinal fans will argue this, but the fans wound up on the court after U of L knocked off No. 1 Syracuse in the final game at Freedom Hall back in 2010.

Connecticut
Like Kansas, Husky fans stormed the court in 2011 after watching their team win a national championship hundreds of miles away. They also did it the season before following UConn's upset of No. 1 Texas inside Gampel Pavilion.

DePaul
Apparently it happened after a win over Pitt two seasons ago, but I really just wanted to point out that this is the top Google image result for "DePaul court storm."

Men%27sWomen%27s%20Bball%20Clinic%20051212%20One-thumb-460x345-27457.jpg

So there it is. Fans and national writers alike aren't going to stop creating "definitive rules for court storming" anytime soon, but the "we've never done it" talk needs to stop forever.

Bottom line is Duke was rated #1 and still stormed court after beating UNC. Your argument doesn't hold water.

LOL..c'mon man. They're students so they're juvenile by definition. It's what they do.

Now get off my lawn!

Relax Francis

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT