ADVERTISEMENT

Kansas State loss. Putting things into perspective

its obvious you're an idiot if you think the winner of a #1/#2 matchup would be jumped by a #3 WVU beating a #9 Florida team. That's insane. Go back to huffing gas moron
Again you're showing your ignorance. According to the coaches poll the Orange Bowl matched 1 vs. 3. #2 WVU was in the Sugar Bowl.

Reactions: countryroads89
are we seriously at the point we dismiss Bill Snyder and KState because they had qb injuries and barely lost by 7 points or less to 3 top 10 teams? The same man who has won 10 games 9 times and 11 games an amazing 7 times? You clowns are gonna wakeup someday.

Yes we are at that point. K State was a terrible football team. If Bill Snyder wasn't such a good coach they win 3 or 4 games tops. The only reason they win 6 is because he is such a good coach. They played some teams tough. They also lost 55-0 at home to Oklahoma, Lost by 15 to a Texas Tech team that is average at best and lost by 14 to an atrocious Texas team. Baylor was starting a back up QB for the first time. I watched one of his 10 win teams come into Morgantown and beat us 55-14 in 2012. If anyone thinks that K State team we played Saturday was anywhere close to as good as one of his 10 win teams then I have ocean front property in Iowa I would be interested in selling you.

Reactions: countryroads89
actually you're showing your ignorance. Under the bowl coalition it was #1 versus #2
You must not understand the bowl coalition. The Bowl Coalition rotated the at-large bids for the major bowls based on the ranking of each bowls tie-in team. The coalition included the Orange, Sugar, Cotton, and Fiesta bowls. The B-8 had a tie-in to the Orange and had first pick, because Nebraska was the highest ranked team with a tie-in, for the at-large team for the 1994 New Years Days bowls. The Cotton had the second pick because TAMU of the SWC was ranked #4. WVU turned down the invite to go to the Sugar which had the third pick.

You must not understand the bowl coalition. The Bowl Coalition rotated the at-large bids for the major bowls based on the ranking of each bowls tie-in team. The coalition included the Orange, Sugar, Cotton, and Fiesta bowls. The B-8 had a tie-in to the Orange and had first pick, because Nebraska was the highest ranked team with a tie-in, for the at-large team for the 1994 New Years Days bowls. The Cotton had the second pick because TAMU of the SWC was ranked #4. WVU turned down the invite to go to the Sugar which had the third pick.
nice try at dodging mouth breather. That long winded post offered no substance for your argument and was totally unrelated. It was #1 versus #2. Winner was NC. Period.

nice try at dodging mouth breather. That long winded post offered no substance for your argument and was totally unrelated. It was #1 versus #2. Winner was NC. Period.
According to the coaches poll it was #1 Nebraska against #3 FSU. Again according to the coaches poll #2 WVU was in the Sugar.

the mouth breathers have unrealistic expectations. They demand 12-0 seasons. WVU finished 4-1 in the final 5 games. That is just not good enough for them. We faced a Kansas State team that experienced injuries to their qb all season. That explains why they lost 6 in a row after starting 3-0. In that time, they also ran through a gauntlet of ranked teams like we experienced in our 4 game skid. And even through that, they only lost to those 3 top 10 teams by 7 points or less. It's easy to think, they could just as easily havefinished 9-3 this year instead of 6-6. Considering Bill Snyder has won 10 games 9 times and as many as 11 games 7 times in his career at KState, that is a reasonable assumption. The low information, low IQ, mouth breathers only saw 5-6 and screamed, "they suck! They're terrible". They fail to realize KState was also on a 2 game winning streak leading up to our game. They finished 3-0 in their final 3 games. We need to retire these mouth breathers and send them off to find a new hobby. They are an embarrassment to the fanbase.
I generally agree that we will never be a dominate program in the B12 and should be happy if we finish in top half of the league in most years. We can compete and should be on an even par with K St--a program similar to ours and one that we out-recruit. K St has been able to win the league a few times and generally be around the 8 win mark--something that most of us would be very happy with.

The problem is how we are losing these games. It is true that we are very close to being 8-4 in each of the past 4 seasons. For many reasons though we are not. Blowing the TCU game in 2012 with a lead and less than a minute to go and 95 yards away sent a signal. Since we have lost quite a few head-scratchers and Saturday was one of the worst. Yes K St is a decent team but we were the much better team on Saturday. Coach Gibson and Coach Seider both said so themselves in their post game interviews.

I don't expect 12-0 seasons. I expect my head coach to not run my injured QB on 4th down at the most crucial part of the game. I expect my coach to know that he won 4 games in a row going 60-40 in favor of the run and not throw the ball 42 times. I expect my coach to know K States return man is one of the best and not stubbornly kick it to him over and over and then be a smartass to the media when asked about it. I expect to beat the teams we should beat and give the teams we shouldn't hell if we go down. I expect my coach to find a serviceable QB and and reliable BACKUP. I expect my coach to tell the players who is going in not allow the players to decide. I expect my coach to teach our wide receivers how to catch a friggin pass by week 12. I expect my coach to do his job. Seriously you guys can stop with the insults to people that see the flaws in Holgorsen. Using the derp derp mowf brevers expect 12-0 every year line is childish. I know the Big12 is hard, I know WVU has a few more challenges than some other schools. But you can miss me with this poor lil Ol WVU nobody wants to coach here and nobody can do better crap. If Holgorsen stays its only because of money. Fine. But his ass has until next season or he can go drink Red Bull in Pullman Washington.

The clock management and play calling under this regime has been terrible. A hall of fame coach would not have a QB with a bum ankle running the ball on a 4th and 1 in a critical situation. A hall of fame coach would never hire his drinking buddy. A hall of fame coach would at least recruit a division 1 QB

Well, you are wrong about the first premise at least. Bill Snyder is a HOF coach and I can guarantee you that 9 times out of ten on fourth and one he would have his QB, injured or otherwise, run the ball. But straight up the middle behind a huge offensive line push.

RR performed his miracles against weaker opponents in a weaker conf. As soon as he stepped up to the big boy table he got his ass handed to him 3 years In a row. So now the same thing is happening in Zona

I generally agree that we will never be a dominate program in the B12 and should be happy if we finish in top half of the league in most years. We can compete and should be on an even par with K St--a program similar to ours and one that we out-recruit. K St has been able to win the league a few times and generally be around the 8 win mark--something that most of us would be very happy with.

The problem is how we are losing these games. It is true that we are very close to being 8-4 in each of the past 4 seasons. For many reasons though we are not. Blowing the TCU game in 2012 with a lead and less than a minute to go and 95 yards away sent a signal. Since we have lost quite a few head-scratchers and Saturday was one of the worst. Yes K St is a decent team but we were the much better team on Saturday. Coach Gibson and Coach Seider both said so themselves in their post game interviews.
The TCU kills me atl. Don't forget in 2014 once again with one minute 28 seconds left we bust a coverage that allows a TCU receiver to run wide open for a 40 yard game setting them up for a game winning field goal. What was even more maddening was you could easily see our DB running around the field confused not knowing the defensive call. Why not use a time out to get everyone on the same page. The number of head scratching mistakes have been too many to count.

I know it's aside the point, but we weren't close to winning that Sugar Bowl. Had we beaten Florida as bad as they ended up beating us - we may have had a shot at getting enough votes for a MNC in one poll. But that's just my opinion. One thing is certain though - if it were today's world, we would have been in the 4 team playoff.

And back to the OP, Kansas State wasn't that good. There wasn't a moment in which I felt like they had the better team than us. We were in a position to go 9-3 this year if a couple plays here and there went the other way.. seems like we've been on the brink of something for a long time, but it's beginning to remind me way too much of Coach Stewart's teams who almost always seemed like a better team but found ways to lose and underachieve. His 9-3 teams could have easily been 10-2 Big East Champion teams.. Just like the last 2 years - we could have had 9-3 regular seasons and top 3 big12.

The TCU kills me atl. Don't forget in 2014 once again with one minute 28 seconds left we bust a coverage that allows a TCU receiver to run wide open for a 40 yard game setting them up for a game winning field goal. What was even more maddening was you could easily see our DB running around the field confused not knowing the defensive call. Why not use a time out to get everyone on the same page. The number of head scratching mistakes have been too many to count.
the losses to OK and Baylor have not bothered me nearly as much as the head-scratchers. those teams are simply better. losing games we should win due to penalties, special teams blunders, bad turnovers, and questionable play calling--like running a QB on the most important play of the game after our coach said "I thought he broke his ankle"-- is what is the problem here.

I know it's aside the point, but we weren't close to winning that Sugar Bowl. Had we beaten Florida as bad as they ended up beating us - we may have had a shot at getting enough votes for a MNC in one poll. But that's just my opinion. One thing is certain though - if it were today's world, we would have been in the 4 team playoff.

And back to the OP, Kansas State wasn't that good. There wasn't a moment in which I felt like they had the better team than us. We were in a position to go 9-3 this year if a couple plays here and there went the other way.. seems like we've been on the brink of something for a long time, but it's beginning to remind me way too much of Coach Stewart's teams who almost always seemed like a better team but found ways to lose and underachieve. His 9-3 teams could have easily been 10-2 Big East Champion teams.. Just like the last 2 years - we could have had 9-3 regular seasons and top 3 big12.
It worked a little differently in those days--polls were more predictable. SOS and margin of victory weren't nearly the factors they are today. As long as you won you either stayed your place or moved up if a team above you lost. With a WVU win and a Nebraska loss WVU would have been #1 in the coaches poll. FSU was #1 in the writers poll.

the mouth breathers have unrealistic expectations. They demand 12-0 seasons. WVU finished 4-1 in the final 5 games. That is just not good enough for them. We faced a Kansas State team that experienced injuries to their qb all season. That explains why they lost 6 in a row after starting 3-0. In that time, they also ran through a gauntlet of ranked teams like we experienced in our 4 game skid. And even through that, they only lost to those 3 top 10 teams by 7 points or less. It's easy to think, they could just as easily havefinished 9-3 this year instead of 6-6. Considering Bill Snyder has won 10 games 9 times and as many as 11 games 7 times in his career at KState, that is a reasonable assumption. The low information, low IQ, mouth breathers only saw 5-6 and screamed, "they suck! They're terrible". They fail to realize KState was also on a 2 game winning streak leading up to our game. They finished 3-0 in their final 3 games. We need to retire these mouth breathers and send them off to find a new hobby. They are an embarrassment to the fanbase.
I just think we were a better team and should have won

It worked a little differently in those days--polls were more predictable. SOS and margin of victory weren't nearly the factors they are today. As long as you won you either stayed your place or moved up if a team above you lost. With a WVU win and a Nebraska loss WVU would have been #1 in the coaches poll. FSU was #1 in the writers poll.
you are talking out your a$$. Margin of victory mattered then as well. If you had any sense at all, this wouldn't be a topic. Nebraska and FSU was for the NC. There would be no split champ. The coaches would never have voted WVU #1 in the final poll dipshit. They would've been #2

I don't get why there are some WVU fans that think it is acceptable to accept mediocrity. I don't expect 12-0 seasons but I do expect progress and I expect us to challenge for the conference championship at least once in 5 years and we certainly will not challenge for the championship next year. We are no better and may be worse as a program then when DH took over. The K-State game was coached terribly - I don't know how anyone could dispute that (actually Gibby has done a pretty good job with this defense and they played well enough to win). I know DH will not get fired this year but he has failed as a coach - again, I don't know how anyone could dispute that.

NCEER................so you expect progress leading up to the 13-0 season(s). OK............it ain't happening in your and my lifetime. Holgs has not failed as a coach any more than the next WV coach will do. I tell you ............... the teams with perfect seasons (how many this year?) are paying thru the nose................with cash on the barrelhead. WV ain't gonna throw the entire states economy at football. Or at least I hope they don't. I plan to enjoy this years bowl game and then start looking to next year. Or was this 'next' year. The entertainment value is what I seek. In addition...............a little Red Bull goes a long way.

I do appreciate your positive perspective. It's rare as hen's teeth on this board. However, I was disappointed in the play calling for the KSU game. I thought we should have run Smallwood a little more, Skyler a little less.

If there's really an ace kick returner on the opposing team, I see no shame in kicking away from him or kicking it deep and out of bounds. We've got a good enough defense that giving the other team the ball at the 35 isn't that big a deal.

I agree that we could be better next year, IF our receivers consistently catch the catchable balls and Skyler improves his short and intermediate passing, or if one of the other QBs develops.

West Virginia was ranked No. 2 in the final coaches' poll at the end of the regular season in 1993. If the Mountaineers had defeated Florida to finish undefeated, they would have had a claim to a mythical national championship -- the only undefeated major team (and with four wins over ranked opponents).

Beyond all doubt, it would have been a stronger claim than a few of Pitt's national titles.

I suspect the major polls would have ranked Florida State at No. 1 and West Virginia at No. 2, but someone in the media would have ranked an unbeaten West Virginia over a once-beaten Florida State, and in the mythical realm, it only takes one.

West Virginia was ranked No. 2 in the final coaches' poll at the end of the regular season in 1993. If the Mountaineers had defeated Florida to finish undefeated, they would have had a claim to a mythical national championship -- the only undefeated major team (and with four wins over ranked opponents).

Beyond all doubt, it would have been a stronger claim than a few of Pitt's national titles.

I suspect the major polls would have ranked Florida State at No. 1 and West Virginia at No. 2, but someone in the media would have ranked an unbeaten West Virginia over a once-beaten Florida State, and in the mythical realm, it only takes one.
Psst...Don't tell him some polls actually had ND #1 after the bowls.

NCEER................so you expect progress leading up to the 13-0 season(s). OK............it ain't happening in your and my lifetime. Holgs has not failed as a coach any more than the next WV coach will do. I tell you ............... the teams with perfect seasons (how many this year?) are paying thru the nose................with cash on the barrelhead. WV ain't gonna throw the entire states economy at football. Or at least I hope they don't. I plan to enjoy this years bowl game and then start looking to next year. Or was this 'next' year. The entertainment value is what I seek. In addition...............a little Red Bull goes a long way.

A big problem is a lot of fans are no longer entertained. This year for the first time since the BC game in 1994 I chose to sit at home and watch a WVU home game on TV instead of attending the game. All home games I missed since my parents began taking me in 1988 had either been because of school sports or my parents were unable to attend and were my ride. Texas this year was the first time I could get myself to the game I decided staying home was the better use of my time. Same decision was made for the Iowa State game. WVU football does not really excite me anymore and I never thought I would say that. Now I am downright giddy to see how we do tomorrow night in the Garden vs UVA.

If you are happy with 7 wins and a mediocre bowl, find another team. I hear Marshall is accepting applications.

Reactions: NC EnginEER
are we seriously at the point we dismiss Bill Snyder and KState because they had qb injuries and barely lost by 7 points or less to 3 top 10 teams? The same man who has won 10 games 9 times and 11 games an amazing 7 times? You clowns are gonna wakeup someday.
Imagine the excuses you could make if we had to play a receiver at qb...

I don't expect 12-0 seasons. I expect my head coach to not run my injured QB on 4th down at the most crucial part of the game. I expect my coach to know that he won 4 games in a row going 60-40 in favor of the run and not throw the ball 42 times. I expect my coach to know K States return man is one of the best and not stubbornly kick it to him over and over and then be a smartass to the media when asked about it. I expect to beat the teams we should beat and give the teams we shouldn't hell if we go down. I expect my coach to find a serviceable QB and and reliable BACKUP. I expect my coach to tell the players who is going in not allow the players to decide. I expect my coach to teach our wide receivers how to catch a friggin pass by week 12. I expect my coach to do his job. Seriously you guys can stop with the insults to people that see the flaws in Holgorsen. Using the derp derp mowf brevers expect 12-0 every year line is childish. I know the Big12 is hard, I know WVU has a few more challenges than some other schools. But you can miss me with this poor lil Ol WVU nobody wants to coach here and nobody can do better crap. If Holgorsen stays its only because of money. Fine. But his ass has until next season or he can go drink Red Bull in Pullman Washington.
Well said...

RR performed his miracles against weaker opponents in a weaker conf. As soon as he stepped up to the big boy table he got his ass handed to him 3 years In a row. So now the same thing is happening in Zona

He won 10 games last year at AZ and his big east teams beat an SEC champion and a Big 12 champ now we can't even beat a 7-5 bottom feeder from the sec west

Psst...Don't tell him some polls actually had ND #1 after the bowls.
you are a goofball. It was a NC game. Winner is NC. Period. It doesn't matter if some ragtag outfit says "no, it's notre dame". The bowl coalition said it was a NC game and that's how it was. So what if wv metronews said differently. Or the south bend Indiana Future farmers of America said otherwise. The only one that mattered said it was Nebraska or FSU. You sound like a Pitt fan bragging about those fake NC's in the 30's.

He won 10 games last year at AZ and his big east teams beat an SEC champion and a Big 12 champ now we can't even beat a 7-5 bottom feeder from the sec west
its different playing the grind of a full season in an elite conference versus getting fired up for one game. Stop mouth breathing.

its different playing the grind of a full season in an elite conference versus getting fired up for one game. Stop mouth breathing.

I expected a pathetic excuse from a Marshall fan who defends mediocrity. Blah blah Blah. You still haven't informed us what your excuse is gonna be if we lose this bowl game. Enlighten us wise one

I expected a pathetic excuse from a Marshall fan who defends mediocrity. Blah blah Blah. You still haven't informed us what your excuse is gonna be if we lose this bowl game. Enlighten us wise one
I don't think he can just pick one excuse. It will be a rambling mess of excuses and ad hominem attacks...

I am not sure you are breathing at all or if you are it is through a bong. KSU was horrible all season long and we should have beaten them by 2 TD's. Poor Coaching is what lost this game. We just won 4 game by throwing around 20 passes a game. We have to excellent running backs that have been tremendous the last month. And we totally changed out game plan. And then ran critical plays with a qb on a bum ankle. I have watched KSU at least 4 times this season. They are a very average team and WVU blew it. And it may get Holgorsen fired. I am not sure I agree the that but it is quite possible.

You should show him jejuan sneiders quote after the game. he said we should have won this game and he's on the coaching staff

Well, you sort of got yourself in a pickle here. While explaining the downfalls of K-State, you actually made the argument on why we are all PISSED OFF that we lost to K-State. We got beat by a team that had NO QB! And if you think this K-State team was a 9 win team, then you obviously don't know squat. Mainly because you think our 7-5 is "good enough", and you think K-State is a "good" team at 6-6. That, to me alone, shows you have no credibility.

Reactions: MntnEERinSC
We lost to a team with a wr at qb, and we were running our qb, who our coach thought might have broke his ankle!! That's all I need to know!!

Reactions: Orlaco
you are a goofball. It was a NC game. Winner is NC. Period. It doesn't matter if some ragtag outfit says "no, it's notre dame". The bowl coalition said it was a NC game and that's how it was. So what if wv metronews said differently. Or the south bend Indiana Future farmers of America said otherwise. The only one that mattered said it was Nebraska or FSU. You sound like a Pitt fan bragging about those fake NC's in the 30's.
Again, you're mistaken. The Bowl Coalition did not crown a champion. They used the writers and coaches polls to determined bowl match ups. The writers and coaches as well as many publications crowned their own champs. And Street and Smith was generally not considered a rag.

I remember the days when Nehlen was the HC. We were just happy to make a bowl game, let alone win one. I don't know why WVU fans think this is out of the ordinary.
Don Nehlen built our program and he had proven he could win at a very high level, so when he had the poor seasons, we had every reason to believe he could get us back on track. Holgorsen has proven absolutely nothing and we have no reason to believe he ever will. He may at some point, but we just don't have anything to fall back on to this point.

Reactions: NC EnginEER
Don Nehlen built our program and he had proven he could win at a very high level, so when he had the poor seasons, we had every reason to believe he could get us back on track. Holgorsen has proven absolutely nothing and we have no reason to believe he ever will. He may at some point, but we just don't have anything to fall back on to this point.
lol you're an idiot

You're the biggest mouth breather on here for crying out loud. And I've yet to see a bunch of 12-0 predictions-realistic ones that is and not tongue-in-cheek stuff we see in August. The truth is "excuses are your own."

You're the biggest mouth breather on here for crying out loud. And I've yet to see a bunch of 12-0 predictions-realistic ones that is and not tongue-in-cheek stuff we see in August. The truth is "excuses are your own."
oh really dumbass? How about you and your band of mouth breathers learn the game? I came on here the day before the KState game saying it was gonna be close and we might lose. I listed the same reasons for why it could happen. If you pay attention, you might learn something.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT